• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you get nervous at the doctor's office?

Claire386

Fairy Tamer
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
I have a physical exam soon and even though I'm at a healthy weight, eat relatively healthy, exercise almost everyday and avoid drugs I'm still nervous about it! I've had high blood pressure readings out of nervousness and it's pretty annoying. I also don't like needles, even though I know they're not painful. It's confusing! But I know that I have to go get my physical because it's important to be up to date with my health. Does anyone else feel similarly or is it just me?!

I'm not sure if I feel nervous as I've had to go to the doctor frequently when I was young because I had asthma as a child among other things, so I'm used to going to the doctor. I think though that one has to be prepared to talk to the doctors, and that is sometimes is stressful. The doctor will be present for only a few minutes, so it essential to say all of one's concerns in that short time period. One has to learn to advocate for themself and learn how to speak to a doctor to get the best experience and help or so that's how going to the doctor has been for me.

Having appointments with my psychiatrist the first two times made me a nervous wreck, but when I knew I was in good hands, the nervousness went away. As for other appointments, I do not feel stressed... For now, at least. As age goes up, so does the number of health-related problems. But I shall see in due time !

The last time I went to the doctor they told me I was too healthy. That was about four years ago I probably won't have such a clean bill of health with all the bad habits I've picked up in these recent years.

Doctor's appointments are a common occurrence for me. Unless I'm getting tested for something I don't tend to get too nervous. Granted, I have been to new doctors for new issues a lot lately and there has been a lot of anxiety. But like a normal appointment with my general practitioner and other normal appointments I'm not nervous.

Recently after years of getting blood drawn with no issue, I've very randomly began to almost pass out when getting blood taken, so that's something I have to get nervous about now even though it was not an issue at all before very recently. I don't understand!

Having appointments with my psychiatrist the first two times made me a nervous wreck, but when I knew I was in good hands, the nervousness went away. As for other appointments, I do not feel stressed... For now, at least. As age goes up, so does the number of health-related problems. But I shall see in due time !
I am a little scared to reach old age tbh. Like I don't want to be an old lady with a million random health problems, but eyesight, bad hearing etc. It's very scary for me to imagine my health just slowly declining at some point but I guess people get used to it. I definitely think that it's possible to avoid most health problems by living a healthy lifestyle though!

Not usually, no. I've had to go to half a bajillion appointments in the past few years, mainly to try and figure out what the deal with my migraines is and what I can do about it. There's no point in getting nervous to me since I already know what I'm going to learn, that being nothing.

When I have to go in for other stuff I'm a bit more likely to, but still not all that much. I'm a bit weird when it comes to needles in that I actively prefer to watch them be inserted which I'm told is... uncommon, and I'm personally not particularly afraid of those sorts of things. But if I have to go in for some undetermined sickness I get a bit anxious because "what if it's actually terminal?? am I going to find out I'm dying?". That's historically not been the outcome, but if I don't know what's causing it it's a lot easier to work myself up over it.

yup. i'm not as nervous about them anymore but i used to get really nervous going to my endocrinologist. they would have to let me lay down in the dark so i could get my heartrate down for the blood pressure measurements

Yes, almost always, though it's gotten better. What I especially dislike is getting my heart rate taken because of a bad past experience.. my heart rate will always spike when it's time for that but it's not actually how I am in life most of the time. @_@;
This is me, except with blood pressure. In my case I have white coat syndrome, so I have to be extra careful about managing my stress levels because it makes my BP go through the roof which can be really dangerous if it's a persistent chronic sorta thing. But on the positive side I've also heard that if stress levels are high but you don't allow the stress to cause you grief that it can be an overall good thing for your health even though stress elevates BP, so I don't know. I find meditation super helpful for managing stress and anxiety but I don't do it often enough.

Everytime. I won't act like I eat the most healthy or exercise at all, but I do take Multi-vitamins daily, I don't drink and I only take prescribed medication, i.e., my anxiety medication. The best I can do to prepare for a visit is to go two weeks ahead of eating no dessert based foods. Just being in that office is enough to make me want to jump out the window. Plus there are people everywhere sitting with you in the waiting room and which is a nightmare for an anti-social butterfly like me. And then I'm worried they'll sit next to me for some reason even when there are plenty of other empty seats. Not trying to be rude, it's just the way I am. I feel like I'm in there forever, and I am just begging to be the next one to be called so I can get it all over with. And then in the end they always have to take my freaking blood. Ahhhhh! I just hate it all!

I'm moreso concerned that my condition(s) will abruptly alleviate within like two days of the visit, thus wasting everyone's time and making me seem dramatic. I should probably see a doctor soon.

also that some medical issues can't really be demonstrated or reproduced under observation, like I won't be sitting long enough that they'd see how I black out when standing up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom