• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have a Living Dex?

Krash

I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
By which I mean, do you keep a constant supply of one of every single Pokemon? Whether in-game or in the Bank, do you? And if so, how do you organize it?

I JUST started to take this project on. I'm working at it generation by generation. Just completed Gen 1 today, and thanks to some prior collecting, I have about half of Gen 2 done. My Bank is getting nice and full (I guess). My long-term goal is to create two living dexes: One general Living Dex, and a Hidden Ability Living Dex. I know it's a stretch, but I'd like to have all the things. I'd someday in the future like to try my hand at a shiny dex, but my aspirations remain low on that one. I just don't have the luck finding/breeding them like others do.

I know most of you keep a Legend Dex, or even an Event Dex. I'm interested to hear what everyone has!

Yep. I worked on and finished a living dex around this time last year in XY. I wouldn't have bothered doing this in any previous generations but with all that storage in Bank I thought I might as well.

Yep. I worked on and finished a living dex around this time last year in XY. I wouldn't have bothered doing this in any previous generations but with all that storage in Bank I thought I might as well.

That was the main reason I waited so long as well. But the sheer size of Bank lets you keep pretty much three of everything, so I plan on using it to my advantage. Also lets me import them to every game here on out. Boom, filling your dex just got easier.

Do you include Prevolutions? I.e. if you have Garbodor do you require Trubbish as well, even if you evolved the Garbodor?

I am working on it, with the stipulation that i don't require all prevolutions as duplicates, nor the impossible-to-get event legendaries. (I mean, if i can't catch it, i can't catch it, simple as). I am also working on levelling them all up to 100. In every game i own. It's a long process.

Yup, I have one! Gen 6 was also the first time I tried doing something so huge, but since XY had such a huge selection of Pokemon, why not right?
Back then, the Bank wasn't out yet, but my friend had given me a HA Grimer to hatch a shiny for him. I used the little guys to get a lot of entries on the GTS because Grimer was Bank-only at the time.
After that, the leggies are by far the hardest. Non-event leggies are best farmed in HGSS and ORAS, so you can trade extra's for the ones you don't have. Events are by far the hardest to get for a living dex (especially if you want them legit).

Good luck! It's a massive pain in the behind, but it's so rewarding to see all those little buggars, from Bulbasaur to Diancie in your bank / boxes. <3
(not to mention, while I was breeding for some pre-evolutions, I hatched a shiny. There's that chance as well!)

I've had no real problems getting Event legendaries on here in exchange for some decent IV bred pokes. But if we're counting Event commons, like the Japanese event Pikachus, then I think the majority of us are out of luck.

I had originally tried using GTS to fill my dex, but everyone asks for Meloettas or Arceus for stuff like Magmortar or (to my groan-worthy surprise) Amaura.

I've got a Living Dex that includes all Pokemon from Bulbasaur to Diancie. I'm working on having one where each Pokemon has a different OT (makes Lottery wins easier). Everything's organized in numerical order.

Although I never aimed for it in previous games, I achieved it for XY so I can get the Shiny Charm. Thanks to Pokebank I was also able to complete it easily once I got my copy of ORAS.

It's easier to do compared to previous games but it still feels quite an accomplishment when you get it :) Unfortunately now I've gotten lazy on catching the in-game legendaries on my AS...Kyogre and Deoxys have been waiting for me forever @_@

I actually still have a living DW/HA Dex! I hadn't even thought to consider it in the same category as a Living Dex lol up until the end of BW2 I had a complete set but after XY and ORAS came out I lost a lot of interest in Pokemon again after going on a 3 years strong come-back-with-a-passion tour to the franchise. I burnt myself out so now I do t know what I'm missing or even really have the willpower to bother seeing what I do need and to go back to breeding for trades.

I remember trying to tackle finishing my Dex to 100% but gave up about 1/3rd of the way through :(
Who knows, I'm paying $5 for bank and only have about 8-10 boxes of Pokemon in there (my HA collection) might as well fill the thing up to my money's worth right lol

I did when I was playing Black 2, as that was the only way I could complete the Dex and get the Shiny and Oval Charms. However, I haven't duplicated it and I don't know if I ever will again. My PC is full of other Pokemon who demand my attention. (Stop being so cute, you goofy Automatons!)

For all intents and purposes I did, but I had to clear out. Though I never got all of them in all their formes

I started on mine during ORAS and managed to complete the Hoenn regional dex but got lazy after that and haven't continued. For me the problem was the Dexnav, I love that feature so much that not using it in other games makes it feel too slow and boring to me.

Hopefully once a new game is announced the hype from that will motivate me to get started again.

Yes, I do. I still need a few 'mon in my GenderDex, which I'm currently hacking in, but I have all 721 Pokémon, including all Formes. But damn it, does it take a lot of Bank space...

Yes, I do. I still need a few 'mon in my GenderDex, which I'm currently hacking in, but I have all 721 Pokémon, including all Formes. But damn it, does it take a lot of Bank space...

So you're collecting one of each Pokemon, in each available gender? That's a pretty big undertaking. Seems like it would be a better use of my time than trying to collect a HA Living Dex though. Plus breeding...

I did, but I need to re-add Pokemon as I keep trading them away.

So you're collecting one of each Pokemon, in each available gender? That's a pretty big undertaking. Seems like it would be a better use of my time than trying to collect a HA Living Dex though. Plus breeding...

I have one of each species (most are legit, some not), one in each available form (Pokémon like Castform, Hoopa and Furfrou that revert back to normal are just one of each) and then one of each gender difference (Pokémon with none like Charmander just get one)

I'm starting one in White. I'm catching every single Pokemon that I haven't caught yet. So when I beat the game, I can just evolve them.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom