• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have a team build "quirk"? If so, which is it?

Try to have one Flying type and one Water type on my team.

There are only two constraints I adhere to all the time:
Never use legendary Pokemon. Some Mythical Pokemon are ok only if strong evidence can be supported that they aren't one-of-a-kind (e.g. Manaphy, Phione, Genesect) and they fit with a theme that I'm running.
Never use an HM slave. I know it's a game and everything is virtual, but I try to treat my team ethically as if they were real creatures. This means using a sidebar of two or three second-stringers for my team and frequent use of the Move Deleter.

Ever since Gen IV, sometimes I will play themed teams, always when replaying a game or playing a remake. The themes make planning and balancing my party a challenge, and add a dimension of fun for replay value.
Heart Gold: Farmer; Blaziken (Starter traded in for Torchic), Ampharos, Beedrill, Miltank, Exeggutor, Mamoswine, Vespiquen
White: Bugs (not the Type); Leavanny, Scolipede, Crustle, Galvantula, Durant, Volcarona, Drapion, Magcargo, Cloyster (At first it was going to be only arthropods, but if Accelgor is a Bug type, then mollusks are bugs too!)
Black 2: Science; Genesect, Weezing, Castform, Magnezone, Klinklang, Electivire, Reuniclus, Golurk, Metagross
Y: European mythology; Charizard Y, Gardevoir, Houndoom, Golurk, Carbink, Klefki, Trevenant, Gliscor, Noivern
Omega Ruby: Kaiju movies; Sceptile, Swampert, Armaldo, Aggron, Exploud, Skarmory, Hydreigon, Tyranitar

I like to evenly split the genders and have at least one feline and/or canine Pokemon. I also make sure to use at least 2 Pokemon from the current generation, plus an older one I've never used before.

-My starter is almost never removed from my team (unless it dies in a nuzlocke or I'm hatching eggs and need a pokemon to hatch eggs faster)
-I always have a flying type or a pokemon that can learn fly.
-I try to keep all my pokemon at the same level.
-Legendary Pokemon do not get put on my team. Ever.

I also try to get a pokemon with pickup as an ability and keep it in my party. If I can't have pickup, I teach a pokemon Thief and never remove the move ever.

Have another one though I only a few instances of this come to mind. If there's an unconventional Pokemon that can fill a traditional role then there's a good chance I may use it. Examples include Golurk as my flyer and Dragalge or Stunfisk as my surfer. Either they don't conform to the image of the role they play or they are of a different type than other Pokemon that traditionally fill that role. It's also nice that these attacks align with their stats. All part of an effort to not use the same types with each new team.

- I always have a water, steel and fighting type
- I usually keep my starter the only exception is Black and White if I don't pick Oshawott.
- No Legendaries
- The Gender Ratio has to be even. Genderless Pokemon count as either male or female (whichever is least represented).
- I try in recent games to have a good mix of physical and special attackers
- Levels have to be more or less even.

Recently (since gen 6 started):
I have to have at least 1 Eeveelution in my main team (more than likely will be Flareon or Sylveon) and 1 cat - unless I'm playing a specific theme team where I can't use any of the two.

All of my Pokemon will have nicknames based on their gender and maybe species
(fox-Pokemon I already have certain nicknames in mind, same with the felines, and mustelids, and the rest of the species)
yep, Nicknames are high priority for me - no nickname, Pokemon stays in the PC box

I do try to balance male/female to 3 of each (3 male, 3 female)

before 6th gen, I always have one Pokemon much higher level than all, but recently been keeping them all around the same level.

• The starter remains on the team for the whole storyline, this includes any post-game stories (eg Delta Episode) (This may change in SM if the infamous starter leak is indeed true).
  • Every party Pokemon gets a nickname, those destined for the PC might not get one, but everyone I actually use will (this even extends to the Pokemon I use in wi-fi battles/post game and the like. No nickname, no use-y)
  • Legendaries don't go on my main game team (exception in the case of Reshiram/Zekrom, since that's a big storyline thing).

I usually keep everyone within my main team. I also usually plan ahead to see what type I need to get to diversify, and catch that particular type.

- I always have an electric type, and this is probably because electric is my favorite typing.
- Like the above one, I also never have a team without a water type. It's also pretty nice that I always have one so I don't have to go fetch one in the PC when I need to use surf.
- always nickname. I don't care if these Pokemon are brand spanking new to me, I always love nicknames. I grow so much more attached once they have names. Even if I get a traded Pokemon, I'll create my own nickname for it, and remember it so I can address it by it's nickname.
- No legendaries. The only exception I have to this one was the first Pokemon game I beat, where I had a Suicune. But I don't like using legendaries on my teams.
- No gift Pokemon. What I mean by that is no Pokemon that you get outside of the games before hand, or you're given a code. I can use Pokemon I get through trades, and of course starters. Though I must say I have never used one of the traded Pokemon.

That's about it for me. also for quite a while I made myself always have an Eeveelution, which I stopped doing once Omega Ruby hit.

- no type overlap (I make an exception for flying)
- I always have a fire-, water- and grass-type (starter + two of the other types)
- if available: Arcanine.

I think I only have one that developed when I got X and Y, it's to have 3 males and 3 females. Not sure why, I just prefer that balance. I guess it doesn't help that I view certain Pokémon as male/female exclusive despite the gender ratio being even like Gardevoir. I can't use a male Gardevoir lol.

At least one Pokemon has to have green as its primary color. Don't ask me, because I don't know either.

I never thought about having "quirks" until I read this thread. And I do have some:
  • Always have a Grass/Fire/Water core in my team.
  • Only mons from that generation's region. Only Johto mons in Gen II, Hoenn in Gen III Sinnoh in Gen IV etc.
  • No legendaries
  • No HM slaves. I distribute HMs among the team members.
That's it.

Last edited:
I like to run male Pokémon from "girly" looking species like Sylveon, Lopunny and Wigglytuff. That's mainly because so many people "sex-shame" their Pokémon and refuse to use a male Pokémon if the species looks "girly", which is something I really dislike, so I want to work to offset that. It makes me feel like I'm giving a home to all the Pokémon who were rejected just because they were the "wrong" gender.

In terms of HM slaves, I only use very common Pokémon as HM slaves, things like early game birds/normal types, Tentacruel for water HM slave etc. I never use a rare or powerful Pokémon as a HM slave.

I like finding use for statistically weak Pokémon like Delcatty. With the Super Training in Gen VI, I like to EV train all my Pokémon after I catch them so even the less powerful Pokémon can feel useful in battle.

In terms of types, most of the time I best prefer to run a wide coverage of Pokémon and moves so I can reliably battle against as many types of opponents as possible.

No matter what, I usually have my Starter in my team throughout the entire game along with the beginning Flying type(first run).

1. always have the starter
2. always have someone who can learn fly
3. females only (usually on the second run)
4. always have 6 Pokemon
5. always cheat for items (only can do that on gen 4-6 maybe 7)
6. speed though the game as fast as possible (beat Pokemon X main story less then a day, got it on release day at around 11:55 am, beat it around 9:35 am the next day)
7. caught them all (complete pokedex) (cheat if needed)
8. have fun with it after i beat the main story

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom