• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any most or least favorite Pokemon generations?

My least favourite is 7. Alola is such an awful region, with the worst mainline games in history going to them.

Absolute favourite is Gen 5. BW is the best game all together, while BW2 played it smart by BW laying the groundwork so BW2 could run when it was their turn (cause BW does a lot of heavy lifting of having the story make sense and flesh it out). Otherwise, I also really like 3 and 9.

My least favourite is 7. Alola is such an awful region, with the worst mainline games in history going to them.
How could you say that?! /s
In all seriousness, I kinda like them, but I also do not like them very much. Especially, the anime. I don’t like a lot of its designs, and the artstyle looks weird. They made Ash dumb yet AGAIN.
Absolute favourite is Gen 5. BW is the best game all together, while BW2 played it smart by BW laying the groundwork so BW2 could run when it was their turn (cause BW does a lot of heavy lifting of having the story make sense and flesh it out). Otherwise, I also really like 3 and 9.
I really like Gen 5 a lot, too. I don’t really like it as much as I used to two years ago (September), but I still like it, and find it enjoyable. I cosplayed as White for Halloween, and I have a Tepig plush I got a year ago (I still wish I could’ve got it for Halloween but instead I took Charmander. It was not a big issue for me). I also made a set of remakes for it, which I’ll be posting on here soon if I have time. I also gor the first three BW manga volumes about two Novembers and Decembers ago.

It's hard to pick a least favorite gen when you include everything like games, manga and anime.

For example I didn't like the XY games but I love the anime, it's one of my favorite seasons. Meanwhile I love BW1 but don't care about the plot of BW2 (the ending with N was already perfect) and the anime had so many problems like resetting Ash, the banned episodes, unecessary Genwunner pandering, Iris' gag, bad TP arc and the list goes on...

I'm tempted to say Gen 8 because I mostly didn't enjoy the plot of SwSh (except for Bede, he is a cute character and has nice development), there is the Dexit controversy and Journeys made me drop the anime because I hated Gou, the lack of a female protagonist and the region-hopping. But then PLA is released and it becomes my new favorite game and I even get a new favorite character...

It's hard to pick a least favorite gen when you include everything like games, manga and anime.

For example I didn't like the XY games but I love the anime, it's one of my favorite seasons. Meanwhile I love BW1 but don't care about the plot of BW2 (the ending with N was already perfect) and the anime had so many problems like resetting Ash, the banned episodes, unecessary Genwunner pandering, Iris' gag, bad TP arc and the list goes on...
I agree with you big time. BW1 is probably the best Gen 5 games. I don’t have a problem with BW2, but I like BW1 better (mainly because of the character designs and story; now, anyone still want to tell me Rosa’s design is better than Hilda)?
I'm tempted to say Gen 8 because I mostly didn't enjoy the plot of SwSh (except for Bede, he is a cute character and has nice development), there is the Dexit controversy and Journeys made me drop the anime because I hated Gou, the lack of a female protagonist and the region-hopping. But then PLA is released and it becomes my new favorite game and I even get a new favorite character...
I like SwSh, the plot’s okay, I’m only there for the outfits, I HATE Dexit. (I agree with you on Bede).
So Akari/Rei is your new favorite character?

It has to be gen 6 for me honestly. It just has so many good features like megas, and it was the first pokemon anime I watched.

It has to be gen 6 for me honestly. It just has so many good features like megas, and it was the first pokemon anime I watched.
Same here (although Indigo was my first season, and then two years later XYZ (the year it was airing in the US). I’ve also watched Orange Islands and the Johto series around like 2014-2015, and I didn’t actually get into XY and the Pokémon series until 2016.
I really like Gen 6 a lot, and here’s why:
  • best remakes
  • two best regions (although I also really like Johto and Unova)
  • two best sets of starters (see reason 2)
  • fully on one of my favorite Nintendo platforms
  • best redesigns
  • megas
  • best anime (along with OS, AG and part of BW)
That’s pretty much it.

I gave my rankings a couple of weeks ago putting Gens 6 and 7 near each other. I gave an explanation of why I loved both but have frequently put Gen 6 above Gen 7 without an explanation.

There are several reasons I put Gen 6 above Gen 7.

1) ORAS has more postgame content than USUM.

Honestly ^ this alone isn't enough of a reason for me, considering USUM still have far from the least amount of postgame in the series, and is overall the deepest experience I've had throughout the adventure of a main series game as of yet, since there's so much maingame content. imo the Alola games are truly among the best for those who don't mind the cutscenes, and the overall battling stands out above most other generations, so every reason below this one is more significant.

2) Gen 6 made much more impact to my overall experience playing Pokemon, and much more impact in general. Generation 7 might've reserved many of the additions Gen 6 brought to the table, but Gen 6 allowed those additions to exist in the first place. I've explained in the Your controversial opinions thread plenty of what got me to appreciate Gen 6 so much as is. Each of these changes presented there had much more impact than any of the changes Gen 7 had made, maybe with the exception of regional forms, which is on the boat of some changes Gen 6 made. Gen 7 more so exists as a way to celebrate everything Pokemon had built up to that point. Gen 7 enhanced a lot of things, it also did take away things, but what it kept was overall enough for me to still enjoy the games a ton.

3) This one was kinda addressed in the post I linked in reason #2, but, the roster of available Pokemon for you to catch within Gen 6 is quite frankly insane. Just X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire alone with 2 3DS-level systems can have you complete the National Pokedex. This is the least amount of games and consoles aside from Gens 1 and 2, and much of it is due to the Gen 6 games having two separate regions within them, as opposed to Gens 5 and 7, who only specialize in one region in major game releases throughout the entire generation. Gen 7 might have brought LGPE, but that was a rather minor release despite being a mainline game, and it had no compatibility with any of the Alola games whatsoever. Because Gen 7 primarily hosted the same region twice, back to back, the variety of Pokemon you can obtain within it is much more limited than it is in generations with more than 1 compatible region. To get the most out of Gen 6, you only have to play all the Gen 6 games. To get the most of Gen 7, you need Gen 6 games. Even for this very reason alone, the absence of Pokemon Bank particularly harms Gen 7 a lot more than Gen 6, because you NEED to rely on Pokemon Bank for in order to complete any sort of National Pokedex or get the entire roster of Pokemon programmed in the game.

4) While I love the Alola games of Generation 7, these games introduced a ton of things I dislike, namely in the mechanics, moves, abilities, and even the Pokémon department. I found many of stuff l generation 7 introduced to be rather extreme in their effects, making the overall pvp gameplay either feel more volatile or less consistently fun than Gen 6 either way. I tend to play a bunch of different formats on Showdown, so I experience these mechanics differently from anyone just playing through on cartridge online or in the Battle Tree. Some of these still annoyed me in the Battle Tree however. Here is a large laundry list of things I didn't like.

Abilities
Triage - Gives any sort of recovery move regarding of coverage +3 priority.
Queenly Majesty / Dazzling - Blocks all priority moves.
Innards Out - Makes the target lose all of the HP they've damaged off the target if the target faints.
Psychic Surge - Strengths Psychic-type moves and blocks all priority moves.
Comatose - Blocks all status inflicting moves, as the Pokemon is considered "asleep". It can still use attacks, including Sleep Talk Whirlwind.

Moves:
Most signature Z-Moves overall were a little over the top.
LGPE Moves in general are ridiculous
Strength Sap - Reduces Atk of the opponent, then recovers all of the HP equal to the Atk the target had.
Spectral Thief - Steals all of the stat boosts of the target. It goes through Substitute and creates perfect synergy with fighting-type moves. Any Pokemon resistant or immune to Spectral Thief can expect to take a powerful Close Combat attack, for example. More on that later.
Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam/Photon Geyser - Don't really like how they have Mold Breaker attached to them, allowing them to break past any defensive ability.

Mechanics
Prankster nerf - All Dark-type Pokemon are immune to Prankster.
Destiny Bond nerf - Pokemon can only use Destiny Bond once every two turns minimum

Pokemon
Incineroar - Did not want Litten to evolve into Brock Lesnar.
Marshadow - Sure it's designed well but it's overall disappointing as a mythical Pokemon, as its concept revolves around doing exactly what Gengar does but for so long it becomes a mythical Pokemon off it. It doesn't generally have anything except for hiding in the shadows. Its own movie tried to give it a role, but it thoroughly butchered its own role towards the end of that movie. Aside from that, Marshadow made Smogon 6v6 formats overall worse than before it appeared, as it forced the entire game to run balance in order to work around this Pokemon. It flipped the entire Anything Goes metagame over its head harder than every change Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon made combined. This led the game to being more stale and I've seen it be quite an unanimous agreement from experts across multiple competitive communities, that Marshadow's existence made the competitive game less enjoyable overall. This is one of my least favorite Pokemon ever.
Shiinotic - Purely an ingame annoyance over anything else, with the combination of Effect Spore, the move Spore, powerful Fairy-type STABs, and Strength Sap. If you have a mildly bad matchup against this Pokemon it's not going to be a fun time. It not only acts the part of being a demon spawn, but fittingly looks the part as well.
Vikavolt - Was very disappointed when I looked at this thing, excited by how fast it would be, and it turned out to only have base 43 speed. The biggest shocker of the generation honestly.

This post looks like a lot but it's the generation I have the 2nd least amount of issues with lol, at least in regards to the severity of them. Generation 6 is the only generation that doesn't have anything I wouldn't like to experience in a future Pokemon game, but only has things I'd want to see more of. There isn't even a Pokemon from that gen I dislike. Gens 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 each have things in their games I would rather not want in another Pokemon game, but changes have been made over time to remove or neutralize some of them.

The sheer amount of handholding and constant pace breaking with cutscenes pretty much made me stop near the end. Never played a pokemon game with such horrid pacing.

Didn't even bothered with Ultra Sun and Moon and from what i have read it really did nothing to fix the pacing issue.

i actually enjoy every gen but i have to hand it to 5 with 7 coming in close (controversial i know, but i thought it was really good personally)
gen 6 is weird because kalos is awesome as are megas and the soundtrack, but the story is horrid and i actually thought it was much too easy (coming from someone who appreciates stuff like exp share btw) (i dont think it should be mandatory tho)... but not counting xy, oras are some of the best games hands down.
gen 1 is probably my least favorite. nothing about the plot stuck out to me at all, at least xy was memorable for failing so miserably in this department. i actually barely recall any of the rby plot. and blue is very grating to me and quite possibly my least fav rival (i promise i dont mean to offend everyone, people are allowed to have their own opinions on the games)
dp were also dry. platinum was a massive improvement and im still a little sad there wasnt much content from that game in bdsp considering how godly of remakes oras were
i could never call 4 my least favorite gen tho. not only do i think 1 is worse but hgss is much too good
i think gen 8 is most peoples most hated gen. its middle of the road for me. it has easily some of the most memorable character designs, and a memorable champion (i really truly just wish he would stop talking about charizard for five minutes though. i cannot recall a single time you talk to leon where that lizard does not come up), and i really enjoyed the rivals (yeah. i did. and im not ashamed of it) but rose is even worse than lysandre and removing megas was a heinous mistake imo. buit it did some things right too, as i said
anyway. my fav games are definitely b2w2 and my least favorite are the original rby (respect my opinion and i will in turn respect yours :3)

Generation 3 is my favorite, hands down. FR/LG are may favorite games in the series probably, and R/S/E are up there too. I liked the game mechanics the most at that point for a lot of reasons, but I guess the main thing would be the physical/special split. All of my favorite pokemon come from the first 3 generations and I like the aesthetics of the characters/setting from that era too.

I don't really have a least favorite. The newest game I've played was ultra moon so I can't really say. I like the newer games too, but I think by the time D/P came out, I was already at a point where I only really played games for nostalgia from my childhood.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom