• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any Pokemon Anime headcanons?

I have a few:
  • Once humans reach the age of ten, they have to level up in order to age. Ash just hasn't leveled up yet!
  • Ash rotates his older Pokémon to help the train the newer Pokémon offscreen. We aren't shown this because the writers would rather have the newer Pokémon take the spotlight.
  • Ash keeps in touch with his past companions, but he rarely succeeds due to everyone being busy.
  • The Mewtwo from the Genesect Movie is the reincarnation of the digital Mew from the Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon Movie, thus explaining why it Mega Evolves and is less hostile towards humans than the original Mewtwo was. However, she didn't remember this until towards the end of the movie, and decides not to tell Ash because she doesn't want to think about Dr. Yung.
  • Rocket Mewtwo and Unova Mewtwo eventually meet. It was a rocky start, but they eventually managed to become like borther and sister. They now fight crime with the Genesect crew in New Tork City, with other legendaries occasionally helping.

Last edited:
Another Kanna/Prima/Lorelei headcanon. The reason she decided to teach Ash/Satoshi a lesson in humility rather than just ignore him was because she defeated a friend or family member of hers and was a jerk and a braggart about it. Despite being the least hotheaded version of Kanna/Lorelei, I kind of see anime!Kanna/Prima as kind of passive aggressive...

I also think that the anime Shitennou/Elite Four don't really meet or associate with each other outside of official events, but when they do meet Kanna/Prima and direct, passionate Wataru/Lance are like oil and water. Their personalities just clash. While they respect each other, they don't really like each other.

And no UST either, I see Lance/Wataru as either ace or too focused on his career to be interested in women (or men, or non-binary people).

ETA: Lance/Wataru is ace (I headcanon this as common among master-rank trainers); Kikuko/Agatha has two daughters whose English names are Clarissa and Mary and two granddaughters whose English names are Christie (Clarissa's daughter) and Shelley (Mary's daughter), bonus points to whoever figures out where I got those names; Shiva/Bruno...I'll get back to you on that one; and Kanna/Lorelei/Prima despite her slight misanthropic streak is straight and wants her own family one day.

Sorry, I keep thinking of things - Christie and Shelley are rivals. Christie wants to be a powerful ghost user like Grandma while Shelley not only doesn't want to specialize in ghost types but is more interested in becoming a researcher like Professor Oak, Agatha's old rival. As such, Christie has Agatha's favor and a Gary-like personality that likes rubbing it in Shelley's face. Both girls are about Ash's age.

ETA: WTH, I've been focusing on the Elite Four/Shitennou but give me a major character and I probably have a headcanon about them. Any takers?

Last edited:
Sammy Oak once had an adventure of his own after meeting Ash, and traveled with Agatha and Kurt when they were kids.

I just realised I have some further ones:
  • Most of the movie locations in the Anime are actually the Pokémon equivalent of their inspired real-life places. Yes, Alto Mare is in Etruria [Italy], Crown City or Kronenbrucht is in Flandaria [Netherlands] and so on. Why does Satoshi (Ash) travel to these places? Well after Wataru (Lance), head of the Shoyoese National Police (昇陽警察庁) heard about Satoshi's achievements in the first three movies, the former appointed the latter as a part-time assistant. Usually, Wataru would respond to distress calls from the ICPO, but when he is unavailable, Satoshi is sent in on Wataru's behalf.
  • So why has Satoshi (Ash) fared better in Kalos? Well, he knows some Kalosian [French] to get around, due to his old friendship with Serena St-Yves, and also he has travelled to Europe a couple of times, and there's always someone who can speak Kalosian, or in rarer cases, Shoyoese [Japanese]. (Alamos Town from the Rise of Darkrai is based on Barcelona. Endioak Town from the Victini & Zekrom/Reshiram movie is based on one of the towns in France. Crown City and Alto Mare, see above.)
  • In relation to the above, Pokeverse!Kalosian is much better recognised, and more widely spoken, than RL!French.
  • And why did he screw up so badly in Unova? Partially because of his loss to that rigged Tobias that damaged Satoshi's self-esteem for a while, and he was a bit of a stepford smiler. Also his English isn't his forte.
  • Speaking of Serena St-Yves, her father was sent to Shoyo as the High Ambassador of Kalos in Yamabuki (Saffron) City, and the family followed along. However, Grace didn't want to live the typical expatriate's life and insisted in living near Masara (Pallet) Town, living with the locals, and training her Rhyhorn.
  • Bianca's father (being first-generation Etrurian-Columbian [Italian-American]) was initially overprotective of Bianca due to some close calls with Communist/Neo-Fascist terrorism that occurred back in Etruria when he was a kid. (There is a real-life counterpart to this.)
  • Satoshi's father was a young but rising politician in the Shoyoese National Parliament, but was assassinated by the right-wing extremist Team Rocket. Hanako (Deliah) moved to Masara (Pallet) Town in fear of Satoshi's safety. This happened at least half a decade before the OS anime.

Last edited:
I like to think that Miyamoto and Sakaki had a steamy affair which Madam Boss was not aware of. (I'm sure that the patronising way in which Madam Boss talks about him actually means he's an adult during the time of the CD drama...)

But PS. he's deffo not Musashi's father.
(Or for that matter Satoshi's.)

Jessie getting into catfights with Cassidy/Delia/Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny.

Ash and Pikachu were actually killed by the spearows in the 1st episode.

Misty was seriously injured as well.

The anime takes place in Ash's final moments of dying consciousness,and he never becomes champ out of subconscious guilt for dying right out the gate

In my headcanon (much of which found its way into my fanfics), Leaf (a codename for the purposes of this headcanon) is Ash's twin sister and she has all of the accomplishments of Red from the games (taking down Team Rocket, becoming Giovanni's worst nightmare, becoming a Champion, etcetera). She was kidnapped by Team Rocket in a failed attempt to get both her and Ash since TR saw a future where one of them would destroy them and they wanted to turn the children into weapons for Team Rocket. Ash's father (who was actually a previous Champion who had the codename of Red) went to save her but disappeared during the attempt as he was closing in on them. TR then wiped Ash and Delia's minds of Leaf and make it seem as if Ash's father had left her and Ash for another woman and was a failure as a Trainer. Leaf escaped TR, along with some other captives, several TR agents being killed in the escape, and defeated them repeatedly, became a Champion and a member of the Pokémon G-Men and she watches Ash from the shadows, hoping that he'll remember her but not getting close since she doesn't want him to become a target of Team Rocket, having seen his numerous failures and the troubles he has against the Blunder Brigade (Jessie, James, and Meowth), as well as how Giovanni beat him in Unova.

I think it's time to revive the thread after 7 months.

• A few years after Ash's adventure in Alola, Lana heard about a water type Pokemon competition coming up and thought shat Misty would be interested. Lana contacts Misty about it and Misty wanted to come to participate, Misty barely wins and got herself a Popplio egg,
  • Ash goes to Alola a few months after his adventure in Kalos.
  • Between the time Ash gets home from Kalos and the time he goes to Alola, he spend time with his older Pokemon and trains them.
  • Dawn eventually ran into May again and they go to contests together.

With regards to where SM seems to be going...

1) Alola gang is gonna be inspired with the gym concept, and with Brock and Misty.
2) They are the future gym leaders/trial captains (depending on how the anime wants it to be). Curiously, they all have different type partners, and Kiawe's and Sophocles both have 2 pokemon, both of the same type (fire, electric).
3) The Aether foundation arc will force all of them to grow into decent battlers.
4) Every non-Ash episode is part of the story of formation of a gym and a league in Alola, and we'll eventually se all of the companions get a decent type team.
5) Gym battles in US/UM are gonna be better, simply due to the variety of dual types available. I expect every gym to have a really balanced team. (Kiawe has a dragon and a ghost, Sophocles has a bug and a steel...) Atleast that's what I hope.
6) All Kahuna prefer different types than the gang. Perhaps they'll be gym leaders too. Then maybe gym badge = Z-crystal.

These threads are such fun! I'm like 30 episodes and a movie behind, not to mention the backlog of previous series so hopefully these can still apply:
1.) The series takes place after the Pokemon version of World War II. There were a lot of casualties, which is why we rarely see the character's fathers. They died during the war. There are some exceptions such as May's father and Clemont's father. Plus both have a younger sibling.
2.) Pikachu had a trainer before Ash, and was given to Oak due to Pikachu's weaker fighting ability. Pikachu resented this very much, and it shows in episode 1, and now does his best in battles.
3.)Team Rocket's Pokemon in HQ are often rotated in/out by other members for specialized roles. Before rejoining the team, Wobbuffet was regulated to being bait, much to his excitement.
4.) Ash has good upper body strength, as seen by his rock climbing and carrying Pokemon.
5.) The reason Ash caught more Pokemon in Unova was because he was very excited in seeing only new Pokemon in this far region. Later on he realized that he could do better with less, which is what happened in Kalos.
6.) The 2 trainers that got the other Kanto starters became Gary's lab assistants soon.
7.) Shiny Pokemon are like albino animals in real life, which includes the survival disadvantages. Ash's Noctowl is very unique as it is smaller than most Noctowl, and shiny at the same time.
8.) Ash's Pokemon from previous series train a lot in Kanto. That's why a lot of them have different movesets in DP.
9.) Team Rocket is most well known through Jesse and James. Giovanni uses this to an advantage to keep the public thinking that Team Rocket is just those fellows. But even he forgets about them.
10.) Wobbuffet went through many trainers, and every time he errrrrr battled, he was given/traded to someone else afterwards. He actually gained knowledge and good reaction time during all of this, which is why he is very capable with mirror coat now.
11.) Ash is oblivious to some emotions. So he ain't gonna notice ship hints.
12.) Forrest is a very good gym leader, and uses Brock's Pokemon to counter grass and water types and surprise challengers.
13.) Dawn did not take too kindly with people making fun of her when she was little. That's why she didn't travel with them.
14.) Highly skilled Pokemon breeders are given the task of raising starter Pokemon for future trainers getting them.
15.) Serena is going to challenge May in a contest battle. She might win, or May's Munchlax one shots everyone with Metronome.
16.) The Nurse Joy with Latias and Tobias with Latios worked together to catch those Legendarys. There's a whole story involving morals and such, but eventually both parted on good terms.
17.) Iris is shooting for a goal in being a member of the Elite 4, and specializing in Dragon types. Same with Misty, but with Water types.
18.) The regions in the anime are larger, and thus there are more gyms. Ash just happens to go to the game relevant ones.
19.) Gen 1 - 4 in the anime took 2 years, and Gen 5- current is less than 2 years as of right now.
20.) Ash is at his best with fast Pokemon. Evident by his flying types and Pikachu himself. He rarely wants a Pokemon to take a hit. Mainly because his fast Pokemon are glass cannons. Pikachu can very easily be fainted, which is why getting hit is a change for the worse. Ash is more about good improvising and strategic moves, which the fast Pokemon do well. He never got used to heavy Pokemon, and Torterra lost a lot as a result. Snorlax is good because of his surprising speed and strength. Notice that most of his Pokemon have quick attack or projectiles. Even the heavy ones have projectiles or fast moves. lol Torterra with rock climb.
Hope I don't sound crazy.

19.) Gen 1 - 4 in the anime took 2 years, and Gen 5- current is less than 2 years as of right now.
I had a headcanon that:
1 year in real world = 1 month in poke-world.
Which means that:

Kanto and OI = 2.5 months
Johto = 3 months
Hoenn = 4 months
Sinnoh = 4 months
Isshu = 3 months
Kalos = 3 months
Alola = few weeks?

Which means Satoshi is a trainer for 18 months and he should be 11 years old. Unfortunately that can't be the case as he confirmed to be still 10 in SM.

Last edited:
I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE:
Since Dunsparce is very rare, You would think many trainers would try to catch one. But they are really obscure compared to people wanting shinys or Legendarys. Naturally Ash wants to capture a Dunsparce just because almost no one else wants one. Oh, and the Dunsparce in XY is the same as the one in BW. It finally wanted a fair rematch, but realized that Ash don't even have a Pokeball on him at all times, so Dunsparce flopped away. SM better have a Dunsparce capture attempt lol.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom