• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Do you have any Shiny Pokémon in Pokémon Go?

My haul from the weekend:

2 shiny Volbeat
5 shiny Abra
1 shiny Alolan Meowth

--not shiny but I want to brag somewhere: I hatched a 100% IV Illumise, and a 100% IV Volbeat. Now if I can just catch a shiny Volbeat then I'll have a set of shinies in addition to a set of 100% IV Pokemon.

So far this weekend, I got a shiny Exeggcute, there are more Charmander spawning, so i'm hoping with the increased ability to capture more of them, I'll finally nail a shiny Charmander.

I took part in the Remote Raid Battle Hour earlier today for Giratina. I figured that it would be easier to team up with people now that Raids can be done remotely and there is that temporary boost in Remote Raid battles too. It took multiple attempts, but I finally defeated a Legendary Pokemon in a Raid Battle. Then it turned out that it was a Shiny Giratina. I don't know if it was boosted more during the hour or if I was just lucky, but I was silently screaming for a good couple of minutes and I caught it on my first try. That was such a huge relief and I couldn't calm down for awhile.

Caught a Shiny Skarmory this morning from the Johto Throwback research. I was hoping to find one over the next week due to the boosted spawns (they haven't shifted yet in my area), but hey this works too.

I got six Shiny Snubbull from the limited research event as well. I caught my first one a couple of years ago, but I was able to evolve it and some of the other Shiny Snubbull I got today. I really hope that they handle limited research events like this from now on. I know that it's only handled differently due to the current situation and the point of Go is to get people walking around more often, but it feels more fair to basically give everyone the limited research tasks from the start instead of going through a bunch of different Pokestops in the hopes of getting the research reward of a Shiny Pokemon, especially when some people might not be able to go out or spin the same Pokestop for a few hours on Saturdays. Plus, even with the longer incenses, it still took me quite awhile to get through all of the limited research tasks, so it wouldn't exactly be easy. I do wish that they made it clear how many tasks were left like they've been doing with the Throwback Challenges though.

I also caught a Shiny Cyndaquil during the limited research event. It was a cool surprise since I was thinking about possibly finding one while checking on all of the Cyndaquil that came around me. I only managed to catch one Shiny Cyndaquil on its Community Day, so having a second one is really great.

Looking through my box, I have... a lot of Shinies. Some of these are inevitable due to Community Days and what-not, but to list:

Castform
Ludicolo
Plusle
Salamence
Shuckle
Ambipom
Blaziken
Slaking
Absol (hatched)
Glalie
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Lugia
Togekiss (hatched)
Raikou
Umbreon (guaranteed from the Jump-Start Research)
Aggron
Swampert
Arbok
Altaria
Blastoise (hatched)
Gardevoir
Weavile
Golduck
Groudon
Lopunny
Raticate
Huntail
Alolan Raichu
Linoone
Roserade
Electivire
Bronzong
Torterra
Houndoom
Tauros
Alolan Exeggutor
Swellow
Stoutland
Seviper
Pidgeot
Flygon
Banette
Gliscor (hatched)
Infernape
Dewgong (hatched)
Charizard
Meganium
Feraligatr
Alolan Raticate
Watchog
Purified Absol
Klinklang
Cinccino
Minun
Gyarados
Lickilicky
Furret
Poliwrath
Chansey
Skarmory
Granbull
Timburr

There've been duplicates of some of those; I know I've caught a couple of Shiny Aron and my god I still have a ton of Shiny Minccino from that one research day. Non-duplicates I've owned but traded away include:

Caterpie
One of the hat-wearing Pikachu
Magnemite/Magneton (I transferred it to Let's Go)
Lapras
Carvanha
Lileep
Kyogre
Meltan/Melmetal (I had a few; some I traded, two I sent to Let's Go and they now reside in Sword, and by the way Niantic I know you're not seeing this but I sure wouldn't mind another Shiny Meltan event, it's been quite a while since the last one, all I'm saying...)

From my wife (or my wife's coworker in the case of the last one), I also have:
Gallade
Rayquaza
Honchkrow
Steelix
Sceptile
Empoleon
Dugtrio

Anyway I say all this because it's something I've been thinking about lately. Are Shinies too common in GO? Perhaps... but at the same time, aside from the Community Day ones, most of the ones I have are from random encounters and some hatches. And those are always such a fun surprise - and the thing is, part of the fun for Shiny Pokémon, for me at least, is actually being to use them and connect with them. Between Rocket battles, raids, Gyms, and the Battle League, or even just walking with them, GO provides ample opportunities for me to do that. Whereas in the main series games, the Shiny rate is so low that I've only once been fortunate enough to find and use a Shiny during the main storyline. So I think, if it were up to me, I would want to make main series Shinies more common - maybe not GO-level common, but still significantly more than the are now - although I know that many Shiny hunters would dislike that and find it devaluing. And that's fair, I just wish I could have a Shiny Pokémon on my side in the main games more often, in the way that I'm able to have them on my side in GO.

Back
Top Bottom