• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Usually there's only like 2-3 bad or lackluster Gym battles a region and you can excuse it, but in Unova they were all just meh.
How is that unpopular? Are you suggesting people actually thought Unova's Gym Badges were more valued than all the others?

-Another unpopular opinion I have regarding the gyms. The rematch against Roark in DP had a significant drop in quality compared to the first match against him despite the imploring of the Spin move, Cranidos ate so many Iron Tails from Pikachu but Rampardos gets wrecked by Turtwig with barely any, pretty much zero since Swift is paper to Rock-types, damage? The first match had more drama, overall better animation, better music, and imo better struggle and unpredictability that made it feel so much more intense and alive. If anything I think I would have preferred Aipom facing off against Onix, Pikachu's Thunderbolt hurting Onix just reminded me how inconsistent the writers are with Electric attacks.

-I thought Ash deserved to win the Unova League just as much he did the Sinnoh League.

-Don't care about the moves taught off-screen in the Unova League, they probably wanted them to be a surprise like Heracross's Sleep Talk he got taught beforehand by Ash.

-Buneary, Cyndaquil, and/or Pachirisu should have never been caught and Togekiss should have been caught earlier as those three went largely unnoticed in growth, new moves, or anything aside from being blatant ads for HGSS(It was especially obvious since Cyndaquil was made into a savant from the start in the Tag Battle and against Grotle.) and DP. Yes, Togekiss and Mamoswine's speedy evolution were ads for Platinum but at least they were more subtle about them, imo, and Piplup at least did more and battled more often. As was May's Bulbasaur and Squirtle for FireRed/LeafGreen.

Last edited:
Read my post again. I've been saying "generic personality", not "no personality." Obviously they have personalities or else they'd be zombies. I'm bothered by the fact that many of the anime Gym Leaders are bland to the point where they might as well be the same character. If they couldn't think of a unique or memorable characterization, they could at least use the personality set forth by the games. If a Gym Leader *was* a loon in the games, there's no reason for him/her to be a Generic Anime Gym Leader™.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.
Seams like we're looking for different things when it comes to personality.

They're important characters from the game. If you're going to make them boring and as forgettable as a filler character, then that's a problem.

Also, again, the anime has no excuse for this beyond lazy writing. All of those uninteresting filler episodes in Jouto, for example, could have been put aside to develop in-game characters.

Personally, I never thought the games in-game characters had much personality, nor should they.
They all often had less the 4-5 lines of text in the entire game, and most of that could of been
cropped down to filter out the pointless and incoherent filler that plagues the game's writting.

As for Johto, I've always felt that the Johto arc was meant to showcase new Pokemon, not people.

I did say that there were exceptions post-Kanto. Still, some of them don't have to be distinct characters, all of them can.

And I contend that all of them do.
It's just that not every character needs to have well developed personalities when they are not that important to the story.
And I don't believe that every gym leader should have some emergency that Ash has to swing into and save the day (or vice versa.)
Expanding a character's role in the anime just because you think they need more personality is the definition of "Lazy Writing"
but it's trying to force a character in where they just don't belong. And frankly, there's already too much of that already.

I said most prevalent in Jouto and Houen. I got back into the anime just for Episode N. I dropped the DP anime shortly after the Natane episodes and haven't watched much of the Best Wishes episodes aside from Episode N.

If there's an Isshu Gym Leader that's as memorable as the lovely Nastume, feel free to share that with me.

Well, considering I've only played W2 and I really didn't care for the Gym Leaders in that game (more forcing the player to do dog tricks)
and the fact I missed the beginning of the Unova arc and first 3 Gym Leaders, I'm not sure which you'll consider valid.

But personally, I Love Iris, although Iris counting as a Gym leader is questionable since she's not one in the anime yet
and we're only just seeing her being developed gradually as the arc progresses
and Cilan's is just has moments of zaniness that adds 'flavor' to his character.
I rather liked how they portrayed Yakon/Clay, who came off as contemptuous and harsh
but watching him get beat down shows that he realizes that he was wrong to misjudge Ash.
Huuro/Skyla probably has one of the most interesting Personalities in the anime
and seeing her character development do a complete u-turn in a single episode was fantastic,
though watching the English dub, I still get the feeling that something was lost in translation.
And, of course, You have to Love Homika/Roxie, who had so much more personality then all of them combined.
Brash, Excitable, Generous, Over-confident while showing Humility in defeat and best of all, just loves to Rock.

That's not true at all. Many of the in-game Gym Leaders have distinct personalities that sets them apart from the others. The player wouldn't have had to go through the trouble of going through the trials in Dragon's Den if Ibuki didn't have a distinct personality from the other Gym Leaders.

Frankly, if any of the Gym leaders in the games had any sort of Personality,
we wouldn't of had to play all of their incessant mini-games
or jump through their hoops in order to reach them in the first place.
Ibuki/Clair's Dragon Den was the least we had to do for a badge
and probably was the only legitimate challenge that added to the story.
The Dragon's Den showed that Ibuki/Clair was the only one that had a personality
outside of the stale and empty personalities of the other in-game Gym Leaders,
who, after doing a little maze or doing a little dance for them and jumping through their hoops,
they'll greet us/gloat about their skill before getting on with the battle,
after which they congratulate us/whine about their loss and then we leave.

The games may not have much in the story department, but the characters do have notable personalities.

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I don't believe I can think of a more then two Gym Leaders from any arc
that matches your original claim of being "mature, righteous, and overly friendly,"
At least not to the point of rightfully labeling them a "Generic Anime Gym Leader™."
And not more then one with-in any arc that did not have at least some kind of development,
if be it an often-used cliche, though that's something I often see in Anime of every genre.

At first, I suspected that you were only trying to hold the Personality Development
of all Gym Leaders to a personal perceived standard, something I find quite shallow and frankly impossible.
But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that you seam to have a single Gym Leader in mind
that you seam to take issue with personality-wise and you appear to project that dislike across (at least) two sagas.
I'll concede that a couple of the Gym Leaders (as with much of the Anime in general) could of used a little fleshing-out
but I don't find any basis for your original assertion that too many of the Gym Leaders have generic Personalities.

Last edited:
Personally, I never thought the games in-game characters had much personality, nor should they.
They all often had less the 4-5 lines of text in the entire game, and most of that could of been
cropped down to filter out the pointless and incoherent filler that plagues the game's writting.

What? If you're talking about generic NPC trainers, then obviously they're not going to say anything useful (welcome to JRPGs).

But the major characters have lines of dialogue that indicate that the way they carry themselves around other people is different from each other, at least moreso compared to the anime. If you want, I can post two lines of dialogue from two different characters from the games just to prove this.

Again, the games serve as an outline. It's up to mediums like the anime and the various manga to expand on them, or make interesting interpretations.

As for Johto, I've always felt that the Johto arc was meant to showcase new Pokemon, not people.

And that's the problem with the writing. Advertisement over writing interesting characters.

And I contend that all of them do.

Minor differences that establish they are, indeed, different human beings at the very least =/= distinct, or having personalities that separates them from the rest. If the writers were to write dialogue they would have the characters say in reaction to, for instance, "What are Pokemon to you?", it should be glaringly obvious which character is saying which dialogue.

For example, Game!Kikuko would say, "Pokemon are used for fighting, not for researching like that old fool Professor Orchid would probably say." Anime!Kikuko, inferring from what we've seen of her (which is what matters in the long run, what's on-screen is currently her anime canon personality, and I don't care about screen-time excuses), would say "they're our precious comrades." Another example, Game!Akane would say "they're cuddly and super-cute, I got into them because everyone else did." Anime!Akane would say "they're our precious friends."

It's just that not every character needs to have well developed personalities when they are not that important to the story.

The only overarching story the anime has ever given us is badge quests. If Gym Leaders aren't an important fixture to this, I don't know what is.

And I don't believe that every gym leader should have some emergency that Ash has to swing into and save the day (or vice versa.)

I never insinuated this.

Expanding a character's role in the anime just because you think they need more personality is the definition of "Lazy Writing"

wut

Is character development not writing? Isn't putting more work into expanding a character the exact opposite of lazy writing? Sorry, but I unfortunately don't understand what you're trying to get at, because the only impression I get from reading that line of text was "putting more work into writing characters is lazy writing", which makes no sense.

but it's trying to force a character in where they just don't belong. And frankly, there's already too much of that already.

They're characters from the games, which the anime is based on. If they don't belong in a more significant, or (at the very least) memorable, role in the anime, who does? Shuu, who could have been Yuuki? Kazunari, who could have been Hibiki? If they're gonna focus on badge quests in the anime, they should at least make the Gym Leaders themselves entertaining to counteract the depressing fact that everything will culminate with Satoshi losing the league.

I'm not asking for a whole "Episode N"-esque plot arc about one Gym Leader either. They could easily make a character memorable in the span of two or three episodes. Heck, some filler characters have more quirks that make them stand out compared to some of the Gym Leaders, and that's just sad.

But personally, I Love Iris, although Iris counting as a Gym leader is questionable since she's not one in the anime yet
and we're only just seeing her being developed gradually as the arc progresses
and Cilan's is just has moments of zaniness that adds 'flavor' to his character.
I rather liked how they portrayed Yakon/Clay, who came off as contemptuous and harsh
but watching him get beat down shows that he realizes that he was wrong to misjudge Ash.
Huuro/Skyla probably has one of the most interesting Personalities in the anime
and seeing her character development do a complete u-turn in a single episode was fantastic,
though watching the English dub, I still get the feeling that something was lost in translation.
And, of course, You have to Love Homika/Roxie, who had so much more personality then all of them combined.
Brash, Excitable, Generous, Over-confident while showing Humility in defeat and best of all, just loves to Rock.

Ignoring Iris and Dent because they got promoted to main characters in the anime, if I take your word for it, that sounds pretty much like how the Kanto Gym Leaders were written. I can dig that.

Homika in particular sounds like a good expansion of how she is in the games, and I'd like seeing them do more of that in the future.

Frankly, if any of the Gym leaders in the games had any sort of Personality,
we wouldn't of had to play all of their incessant mini-games
or jump through their hoops in order to reach them in the first place.
Ibuki/Clair's Dragon Den was the least we had to do for a badge
and probably was the only legitimate challenge that added to the story.
The Dragon's Den showed that Ibuki/Clair was the only one that had a personality
outside of the stale and empty personalities of the other in-game Gym Leaders,
who, after doing a little maze or doing a little dance for them and jumping through their hoops,
they'll greet us/gloat about their skill before getting on with the battle,
after which they congratulate us/whine about their loss and then we leave.

Puzzles in a video game. Oh the horror.

I can't see how rigging their gyms has any correlation to whether or not they have a personality. Care to elaborate more on that?

outside of the stale and empty personalities of the other in-game Gym Leaders

"Stale" implies that too much of the same has become tiresome. However, the in-game Gym Leaders of Jouto had personalities that were distinct from the rest. Hayato aspires to follow in his dad's footsteps and become a master at Bird Pokemon, Tsukushi is an avid entomologist who aspires to find out all the mysteries about bug Pokemon, Akane is a ditzy and childish bishoujo, Matsuba is highly invested and influenced in Enju City's mythology (training all of his life, developing supposed seer-like powers, in hopes of encountering Ho-Oh), Mikan is meek and shy despite being a Gym Leader, Shijima is a muscle-head deadbeat husband, and Yanagi is a wise old man who regularly meditates under a waterfall (the anime's interpretation of Yanagi is an example of a Gym leader I liked in the anime).

You're confusing staleness of gameplay (badge quests in the games) to "no personality." Much of the "story" in the games are mainly about expanding the background of the world and a coming-of-age story for the silent protagonist. The real plot is from the whole "evil organization" thing the games have going on, which are usually disconnected from the badge quest (besides RBGY, with Sakaki being the final Gym Leader). In the case of GSC/HGSS, the Rocket Gang revival plot.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I can think of a more then two Gym Leaders from any arc
that matches your original claim of being "mature, righteous, and overly friendly,"
At least not to the point of rightfully labeling them a "Generic Anime Gym Leader™."
And not more then one with-in any arc that did not have at least some kind of development,
if be it an often-used cliche, though that's something I often see in Anime of every genre.

At first, I suspected that you were only trying to hold the Personality Development
of all Gym Leaders to a personal perceived standard, something I find quite shallow and frankly impossible.
But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that you seam to have a single Gym Leader in mind
that you seam to take issue with personality-wise and you appear to project that dislike across (at least) two sagas.
I'll concede that a couple of the Gym Leaders (as with much of the Anime in general) could of used a little fleshing-out
but I don't find any basis for your original assertion that too many of the Gym Leaders have generic Personalities.

I'm not projecting dislike of one anime Gym Leader to the others, I'm addressing a problem that I believe exists in several characters that have appeared in the Pocket Monsters TV anime. Gym Leaders/Elite Four members that fall victim to the "I specialize in [insert type]/Perfectly Dignified/Yet Approachable" template? To name a few, Akane, Mastuba, Mikan, Ibuki, Tsutsuji (being a teacher, it fits, though), Nagi, and Kikuko. Not all of them ended up lacking memorability (Matsuba in particular, due to being connected to episodes that have Minaki and call forth Satoshi's connection to Legendary Pokemon), but the anime writers did ruin a perfectly good chance to make them more unique by actually using their depictions from the games as a reference.

It shouldn't be that hard, too, since that's the easiest method the anime has available to write a better Gym Leader. I've seen depictions of Gym Leaders from a handful of different Pokemon canons, some a drastic departure and some not, and the anime is one of the most lackluster, in terms of the number of bland ones it has.

Last edited:
What? If you're talking about generic NPC trainers, then obviously they're not going to say anything useful (welcome to JRPGs).

But the major characters have lines of dialogue that indicate that the way they carry themselves around other people is different from each other, at least moreso compared to the anime. If you want, I can post two lines of dialogue from two different characters from the games just to prove this.

Again, the games serve as an outline. It's up to mediums like the anime and the various manga to expand on them, or make interesting interpretations.

Again, you've fallen back to entirely subjective opinion where even the Gym leaders in the games
(who are only vaguely more interesting then generic NPCs) have their whole personality summed up in a couple lines of text,
not counting later games that give their whole life-story, whether you want to hear it or not.

And that's the problem with the writing. Advertisement over writing interesting characters.

Johto was a low point in the anime for various reasons,
one of which I believe that it wasn't exactly planned and sort of rushed,
Compounded by shoddy translation when it came to America.
Despite that, I still say it's far better then you give it credit for.

Minor differences that establish they are, indeed, different human beings at the very least =/= distinct, or having personalities that separates them from the rest. If the writers were to write dialogue they would have the characters say in reaction to, for instance, "What are Pokemon to you?", it should be glaringly obvious which character is saying which dialogue.

For example, Game!Kikuko would say, "Pokemon are used for fighting, not for researching like that old fool Professor Orchid would probably say." Anime!Kikuko, inferring from what we've seen of her (which is what matters in the long run, what's on-screen is currently her anime canon personality, and I don't care about screen-time excuses), would say "they're our precious comrades." Another example, Game!Akane would say "they're cuddly and super-cute, I got into them because everyone else did." Anime!Akane would say "they're our precious friends."

I get the distinct impression you've never actually played the Original Games of which you speak.
Let me guess, you've started in the 3rd Gen and only played the Remakes?
Yeah, then I suppose that would explain it.

Anyway, I don't see your point. How is a single line summing up an empty Personality from the Game
Better then a whole Episode detailing a character's personality, which is far better then the Game version?

Granted, Kikuko/Agatha never expounded on her relation to Orchid/Oak's relationship and perhaps that was a missed opportunity
But then again, the Anime wasn't about Orchid/Oak either and perhaps the Writers felt that the Interaction between Ash and Kikuko/Agatha was more important.

And Akane/Whitney had so much more personality in the Anime then in the game
where she actually talked about her life and her love for Pokemon.

The only overarching story the anime has ever given us is badge quests. If Gym Leaders aren't an important fixture to this, I don't know what is.

If badge quests were the intent of the Story then I fail to see the need to write up detailed backstories
and daily episodes for the Gym Leaders any more then for the Random Trainers Ash meet along the way.
In any Episode that was comprised of more then just the Gym Battle,
the anime did a fine job of exploring that Gym Leader's Personality,
even to the point of giving too much Info.
Frankly, I could of gone without listening to Hachiku/Brycen's personal tribulations
or Yakon/Clay's boasting about how he dug an entire mine at Ash's age
(with only a nod to his Pokemon, who I suspect did the actual digging.)

wut

Is character development not writing? Isn't putting more work into expanding a character the exact opposite of lazy writing? Sorry, but I unfortunately don't understand what you're trying to get at, because the only impression I get from reading that line of text was "putting more work into writing characters is lazy writing", which makes no sense.

No, you misunderstand. A Lazy writer (or perhaps I should of said an Amateurish Writer)
tries to over-elaborate a description of a Character or a situation to make up for a lack of substance
or because you just want to set the story by establishing your Characters at the expense of the plot.
Not every character needs a Back-story beyond setting the scene of the moment.
In all honestly, I could of done with a lot less "Character Development" in the anime of non-reoccurring characters.
I also could of done with a lot more of established and stable Character Development in Reoccurring characters.

They're characters from the games, which the anime is based on.

No, they're names and faces that appeared in the games that the Anime is based on.
There's a difference.
They're as relevant to the Plot of the story as any other character that appeared in the game
and they could of been rewritten and/or written out of the anime without so much as a thought
and the Anime wouldn't of skipped a beat.

Remember that there's a lot that the Anime has rewritten, even to the point of exclusion.
That said, there's many, many different facets to the Story as well.
The World of Pokemon is wide an varied but not every facet needs to be addressed all in one go.
Just because the anime didn't show a side of a character that you wanted to see doesn't mean that it's absent from that character,
only that you didn't get to see what You wanted to see.

Puzzles in a video game. Oh the horror.

I can't see how rigging their gyms has any correlation to whether or not they have a personality. Care to elaborate more on that?

By your reasoning, they could of skipped the Puzzles and invested our time playing in getting to know the Gym Leaders.
I wouldn't of minded if they had us go out and find the Gym Leaders instead of having the Gyms in the Center of town
and have to pass some trials like the Dragon's Den INSTEAD of having us do puzzles that have nothing to do with Pokemon.

I fail to see what these puzzles have to do with challenging their Gym,
but it sure tells me that these Gym Leaders (or rather the game designers)
have no substance in regards for an actual Story in which to make the player feel invested.

One thing I have to admit of B&W2, a lot fewer mini-games and more Story-based Investment
(although they still have us do way too many Dog-tricks.)

"Stale" implies that too much of the same has become tiresome. However, the in-game Gym Leaders of Jouto had personalities that were distinct from the rest. Hayato aspires to follow in his dad's footsteps and become a master at Bird Pokemon, Tsukushi is an avid entomologist who aspires to find out all the mysteries about bug Pokemon, Akane is a ditzy and childish bishoujo, Matsuba is highly invested and influenced in Enju City's mythology (training all of his life, developing supposed seer-like powers, in hopes of encountering Ho-Oh), Mikan is meek and shy despite being a Gym Leader, Shijima is a muscle-head deadbeat husband, and Yanagi is a wise old man who regularly meditates under a waterfall (the anime's interpretation of Yanagi is an example of a Gym leader I liked in the anime).

You're confusing staleness of gameplay (badge quests in the games) to "no personality." Much of the "story" in the games are mainly about expanding the background of the world and a coming-of-age story for the silent protagonist. The real plot is from the whole "evil organization" thing the games have going on, which are usually disconnected from the badge quest (besides RBGY, with Sakaki being the final Gym Leader). In the case of GSC/HGSS, the Rocket Gang revival plot.

Oh no, I'm not confusing anything of the sort.
The video games just do not convey any sort of personality in boring one-liners that,
more often then not, distract from the story.
Granted that the remakes do a lot to remedy this and expound much on the original characters
but it still falls short of conveying any real emotion.

I'm not projecting dislike of one anime Gym Leader to the others, I'm addressing a problem that I believe exists in several characters that have appeared in the Pocket Monsters TV anime. Gym Leaders/Elite Four members that fall victim to the "I specialize in [insert type]/Perfectly Dignified/Yet Approachable" template? To name a few, Akane, Mastuba, Mikan, Ibuki, Tsutsuji (being a teacher, it fits, though), Nagi, and Kikuko. Not all of them ended up lacking memorability (Matsuba in particular, due to being connected to episodes that have Minaki and call forth Satoshi's connection to Legendary Pokemon), but the anime writers did ruin a perfectly good chance to make them more unique by actually using their depictions from the games as a reference.

It shouldn't be that hard, too, since that's the easiest method the anime has available to write a better Gym Leader. I've seen depictions of Gym Leaders from a handful of different Pokemon canons, some a drastic departure and some not, and the anime is one of the most lackluster, in terms of the number of bland ones it has.

What I'm coming to realize is that you're not up-set about the Anime not expounding on Personalities,
(which is does because it clearly matches about 90% that their in-game Personalities in accuracy, with the sole exception of Mikan,*
who the Anime depicts as older and more mature then her Game counterpart.) Edit: Mikan, not Akane.
but rather you're upset that the anime does not live up to your own preconceived image that you've built up around the Game-characters.
When the Anime characters fall short of your expectations, you rail against them as if he anime writers are attacking your imagined way they should be.

Come to think of it, if we were to extend this debate into non-Gym Leaders such as Champions/Elite Four/Frontier Brains,
Wataru/Lance in the anime is probably the only character to fit your subjective "I specialize in [insert type]/Perfectly Dignified/Yet Approachable" template
and that's because that IS his Personality.

What you're complaining about is a Gym Leader ACTING like a Gym Leader.
Professional, Respectful, Courteous, and Polite. You're forgetting that being a Gym Leader
as well as being a position of Honor and Statute in Society, is first and foremost a Business!
There's a certain expectation that is held for Gym Leaders to act and to maintain, whether be it Business or Public Office.
But every Gym Leader has his or her own way of doing things and their Personalities come Shining through, despite their Position.
The anime has done a (mostly) decent job of expressing each Gym Leader's personality in appropriate degree.

If you're not happy with it and think you can do better, write Fan Fiction.
It's easier to criticize others' work then it is to create something of your own.

Last edited:
TRIP AND ASH NEVER HAD A FULL BATTLE
That annoys me like hell. I mean Paul had 2. Gary had some (i forgot how many). but Trip... a 1 on 1 battle in the Unova league. In the first round. It sucked.

- I liked johto more than DP overall.
- Among all of ash's flying types his Pidgeot was closest to him.
- Third season's openning was the best followed by OI's openning and Kanto's. BF's was 'meh..'. I disliked BW1's openning at first but after seeing BW2's I can tolerate it. The rest were train wreck.
- I like Cilan more than i liked brock. Though i wish he had caught at least one more grass type.
- I didn't get as much as annoyed by Kanto's pity badges than i did with Unova's 8th badge.
- I really liked Snivy's attract animation in BW1 but after a minor change in BW2 it didn't appeal to me at all.
- Ash's battle with tobias was ridiculous. Although Ash did good, Earlier in the anime it was said that people sacrifice their life time to just get to see a legendary pokemon. "Catching" 2 (or even more!!) legendaries was ridiculous imo.

TRIP AND ASH NEVER HAD A FULL BATTLE
That annoys me like hell. I mean Paul had 2. Gary had some (i forgot how many). but Trip... a 1 on 1 battle in the Unova league. In the first round. It sucked.

Ash and Gary only had one full battle. It was in the Johto League. The only other time they battled as a one-on-one match right before he left for Johto. While I agree that Ash vs. Trip in the Unova League was pretty bad, I thought it was a fitting end to the rivalry. After how that pathetic rivalry was handled and how Trip was such a terrible rival that had no impact on Ash and vice versa, it certainly didn't deserve a full battle. I think it was actually a good choice to get rid of that rivalry right off the bat instead of going for a full battle or even a three-on-three match just because Trip was such a terrible rival.

I thought this was the "unpopular opinions" thread. Not the "attack another person's opinion because their opinion is... subjective (duh?)" thread.

Again, you've fallen back to entirely subjective opinion where even the Gym leaders in the games
(who are only vaguely more interesting then generic NPCs) have their whole personality summed up in a couple lines of text,
not counting later games that give their whole life-story, whether you want to hear it or not.

Me pointing out facets of an in-game character's personality isn't "subjective" nor an "opinion". It's not speculation. I'm presenting actual details that are presented by in-game text and are canon, therefore making what I'm been saying about the Gym Leaders having distinct/individual personalities, or personalities at all, in the games "fact".

Johto was a low point in the anime for various reasons,
one of which I believe that it wasn't exactly planned and sort of rushed,
Compounded by shoddy translation when it came to America.
Despite that, I still say it's far better then you give it credit for.

I HIGHLY doubt Jouto was "rushed" considering its length. We already know that the writers planned to write a plot arc concerning the GS Ball during Jouto, but canned it (which begs the question: what else did they throw out the window?).

The problems with Jouto lie solely in bad writing and planning. There were clearly no time constraints considering the arc consisted of hundreds of episodes of filler. I give credit to the anime writers where credit is due, but I don't give them the benefit of the doubt for everything.

I get the distinct impression you've never actually played the Original Games of which you speak.
Let me guess, you've started in the 3rd Gen and only played the Remakes?
Yeah, then I suppose that would explain it.

What the hell gave you that impression? I was five when I played Pokemon Yellow and got into the series (more than just the games and anime even), and the lines of dialogue that I wrote were influenced by in-game text found in GENERATIONS I AND II.

These are lines taken from the English translation of RBGY:

"I am Agatha of the Elite Four! Oak's taken a lot of interest in you, child! That old duff was once tough and handsome! That was decades ago! Now he just wants to fiddle with his Pokédex! He's wrong! Pokémon are for fighting!"

These are lines said by Akane in the English translation of GSC:

"Hi! I'm Whitney! Everyone was into Pokémon, so I got into it too! Pokémon are super-cute! You want to battle? I'm warning you--I'm good!"

Anyways, I'm starting to think you're the one who never even touched the originals, or at the very least, skipped the text/didn't pay attention due to being angry and bitter about the puzzles.

See? I can generalize other fans too.

Anyway, I don't see your point. How is a single line summing up an empty Personality from the Game
Better then a whole Episode detailing a character's personality, which is far better then the Game version?

Stop straw manning. That's not what I'm getting at at all. I'm not saying the game versions of the Gym Leaders are "so deep and thought provoking" compared to their anime counterparts, I'm saying that the distinction between the personalities of each Gym Leader in the games is more apparent compared to how they're depicted in the anime. My dissatisfaction stems from the fact that the anime writers aren't taking advantage of the medium that they're given - if the games can present a decent distinction and unique personality in about 10 lines of text, then the anime has the ability to do better in two episodes.

Granted, Kikuko/Agatha never expounded on her relation to Orchid/Oak's relationship and perhaps that was a missed opportunity
But then again, the Anime wasn't about Orchid/Oak either and perhaps the Writers felt that the Interaction between Ash and Kikuko/Agatha was more important.

The anime wasn't about the Kimono Girls either, but they managed to make a somewhat interesting character out of Sakura and gave her decent character development in the anime. Heck, they managed to make a fun interpretation of the Mimicry Girl with Imite.

But that's all irrelevant. Perhaps Kikuko's role in the anime didn't call for such background-diving, which I can understand. But I don't care about background right now. It doesn't change the fact that Kikuko is a mean old hag in the games, while in the anime she's as friendly and dignified as all of the other officially-recognized top ranked trainer the anime, which I'm personally tired of seeing.

And Akane/Whitney had so much more personality in the Anime then in the game
where she actually talked about her life and her love for Pokemon.

As opposed to other anime characters that didn't? Oh wait.

Akane in the games was a childish girly-girl who got into Pokemon because she thought they were cute and because everyone else was interested in them. God forbid a superficial Gym Leader exists other than the "flawlessly good professional human beings" we sometimes got as Gym Leaders in the anime. And before you cite a supposed bias towards the games: I preferred Akane's depiction in Pokemon Special compared to the anime, where her personality is an even greater departure from her game depiction. Granted, she was depicted as a lousy Gym Leader, but at least her character was unique amongst the cast and stood out.

The way I feel about some of the anime Gym Leaders is like if they took Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney, stuffed them into an anime, and gave them both completely serious lawyer personalities. The only difference being is that one is a defense attorney while the other is the prosecution, their roles and professions being relatively unchanged from the source, yet the style and the way they interact with other characters is exactly the same as one another due to having similar enough personalities, whereas the source gave them distinct personalities. This example is still quite different though, as I'm MORE lenient in terms of criticism with Pokemon adaptations compared to other franchises, since the game deliberately leaves room for expansion so other canons can make their own interpretations.

I would be completely fine with it if they were different from the game. So departing from how they are in the games and breaking my alleged "fantasies" about how the characters really are (or so you claim), "angering me," doesn't hold true - I friggin' love the Pocket Monsters gag manga for Christ sake!

If badge quests were the intent of the Story then I fail to see the need to write up detailed backstories
and daily episodes for the Gym Leaders any more then for the Random Trainers Ash meet along the way.

Because the Gym Leaders are directly connected to the badge quests, as opposed to some random filler character? I don't see how that's hard to comprehend. Especially when the badge quests wouldn't exist without the Gym Leaders in the first place.

Also, I hate it how you're STILL straw manning my argument. ONCE AGAIN, I don't expect them to write "Episode N"-type plots for the Gym Leaders. They could easily showcase them with a distinct personality within the span of the standard two-episode Gym episodes. (Though, I do acknowledge if they DID go that direction, putting aside pointless filler wouldn't be too hard. Especially when a good number of Pokemon fans probably care more about in-game characters as opposed to anime filler characters that they have yet to see.)

In any Episode that was comprised of more then just the Gym Battle,
the anime did a fine job of exploring that Gym Leader's Personality,
even to the point of giving too much Info.

And I never said I had a problem with that.

Frankly, I could of gone without listening to Hachiku/Brycen's personal tribulations
or Yakon/Clay's boasting about how he dug an entire mine at Ash's age
(with only a nod to his Pokemon, who I suspect did the actual digging.)

Again with the misinterpretations of what I've been saying. I like it when Pokemon adaptations take small personality/background references in the games and make something fun out of it, or simply making cool twists to their character that isn't present in the games. I don't want it to be exactly like the games to the point where some random CoTD Youngster brags to Satoshi about how much he enjoys wearing shorts or a Gym Leader literally having just an introduction and a farewell. That's just silly.

No, you misunderstand. A Lazy writer (or perhaps I should of said an Amateurish Writer)

Uh. Backpedaling noted.

tries to over-elaborate a description of a Character or a situation to make up for a lack of substance
or because you just want to set the story by establishing your Characters at the expense of the plot.

Pretty sure lacking substance means there was something wrong with the story in the first place.

And giving a Gym Leader a more colorful personality at the expense of what? The badge quest with large gaps in-between? The fillers where the main character doesn't receive much development anyway? I'm pretty sure N's not gonna appear in another episode after Best Wishes, yet they sure as hell seem to be giving him a distinct personality, an interesting background story, and a whole arc as a bonus. Does that detract from the "plot" or lack thereof? No, because the episodes have a self-contained plot and are meant to be entertaining, which they are, and are preferable to potentially forgettable fillers. Again, lack of character arcs isn't what my original post was about, nor am I trying to diss the entire anime for it, but I'll still say that your stance on character development makes no sense to me.

Especially since you're claiming that the anime has a story to detract from... The only overarching story being badge quests that are directly connected to the Gym Leaders. I could understand if you were directing this towards an argument concerning the filler characters, because they aren't relevant to anything. But I'm not talking about filler characters. The anime wouldn't lose anything from having Gym Leaders be anything other than disposable one-off props.

But back to my actual argument (hopefully).

Not every character needs a Back-story beyond setting the scene of the moment.

I'm talking about personality! I loved Kastura but he didn't get shit as backstory in the anime. It was his personality and mannerisms that were memorable to me.

In all honestly, I could of done with a lot less "Character Development" in the anime of non-reoccurring characters.

Good for you. Now let other people have the freedom to prefer otherwise.

I also could of done with a lot more of established and stable Character Development in Reoccurring characters.

As do I. As do a good percentage of the rest of the people who watch the anime.

But that has nothing to do with how the Gym Leaders' personalities are depicted in the anime, which do not directly correlate with deteriorated development and establishment of the main characters in the anime (Yanagi's depiction in the anime took away absolutely NOTHING from the main characters). I'm not saying "screw the main characters and their recurring rivals! Gym Leaders should be more important than them and have first priority in character development!" Again, stop putting words in my mouth.

No, they're names and faces that appeared in the games that the Anime is based on.
There's a difference.

Um, I realize that the anime is a different canon, that the characters aren't the exact same characters that appear in the games, and that the writers have the power to rewrite game elements as they see fit. You're missing my point.

You said that they would be "forcing a character in where they don't belong." Yet they have done this for real before and screwed over game-based characters in the process more than anything. An anime depiction of Yuuki couldn't have been Haruka's rival instead of creating Shuu, even though Yuuki has that role in the games? Kazunari couldn't have been Hibiki, even though Hibiki was Kotone's male counterpart in HGSS? Daigo, instead of appearing in the role of a dull filler CotD, couldn't have appeared in a more significant role considering he's the former Houen Champion in the games? Why did they use Wataru instead of him in the Aqua/Magma Gang subplot?

The anime has ALREADY forced characters in places where they don't belong, or didn't put them in places where they *did* belong. They could easily give roles and personalities to game-based characters that make them stand out (especially when they originally had these), but they choose not to at times. The Gym Leaders, at the very least, are some of the more notable characters from the gameverse and I personally feel that there are times where the anime doesn't do them any justice in terms of personality.

Isn't that a legitimate personal gripe with the anime? Why are you even arguing against that?

They're as relevant to the Plot of the story as any other character that appeared in the game
and they could of been rewritten and/or written out of the anime without so much as a thought
and the Anime wouldn't of skipped a beat.

And I'm not allowed to be dissatisfied with how some game characters are treated in the anime? Kill me and dump my body in a river. That's a legitimate complaint to be expected for an adaptation based off a video game.

Besides, you just admitted that the anime writers aren't above treating game-based characters as disposable plot devices that they don't particularly care for in writing. You didn't sway my opinion at all, you reinforced it.

Remember that there's a lot that the Anime has rewritten, even to the point of exclusion.
That said, there's many, many different facets to the Story as well.
The World of Pokemon is wide an varied but not every facet needs to be addressed all in one go.
Just because the anime didn't show a side of a character that you wanted to see doesn't mean that it's absent from that character,
only that you didn't get to see what You wanted to see.

No. Because the Gym Leaders in the anime are not the same characters as their game counterparts. It's a different canon. Which means a different universe. If it's not shown on-screen then it's not canon to that universe.

What, am I supposed to assume Sakaki has a son in the anime when there's been no precedent for this outside of the games and Pokemon Special? That Akane is somehow a giant crybaby and a sore loser when she was shown on-screen to be mature enough to handle a loss in the anime? That Kyou has a daughter and was promoted to an Elite Four member as he did in the games, even though there's NOTHING indicating this in the show? That Satoshi sits on top of a cold-as-hell mountain in his free time whenever we're NOT watching the anime? If it's not shown or said in the show, then it's NOT CANON and NOT part of their character. Otherwise, they're just assumptions and represents 0% of what's written in the anime.

By your reasoning, they could of skipped the Puzzles and invested our time playing in getting to know the Gym Leaders.

How does that have anything to do with my reasoning? I never once mentioned anything that had any correlation to gameplay until you, for some reason, brought it up.

I wouldn't of minded if they had us go out and find the Gym Leaders instead of having the Gyms in the Center of town
and have to pass some trials like the Dragon's Den INSTEAD of having us do puzzles that have nothing to do with Pokemon.
I fail to see what these puzzles have to do with challenging their Gym,
but it sure tells me that these Gym Leaders (or rather the game designers)
have no substance in regards for an actual Story in which to make the player feel invested.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockVideoGamePuzzle

If you have problems with the gameplay, then it's your own damn problem. It has nothing to do with what I've been talking about nor has any direct correlation to a character having a personality or not. Ever heard of gameplay and story segregation in video games? Your Pokemon aren't just standing there, taking turns hitting each other in-universe. Your complaints about the gameplay structure don't contradict my points AT ALL. In fact, most of it has little to no relation. It's equivalent to saying that every character with a Zubat in Generation I were a bunch of clueless rookies simply because they kept using Confuse Ray when you're already confused - which is a problem with the Battle AI being shitty and not the writing.

(Tangent: Granted, sometimes the Gyms seem to be designed to accommodate the Gym Leader's personality (which means they have a personality in the first place). Katsura has a hard-on for quizzes, Tessen is an eccentric crazy man, Kyou and his daughter are NINJAS, etc. But for the most part, they're just there as generic gameplay mechanics that are often considered acceptable breaks from reality, and some don't even have puzzles in their Gym - you simply have to fight the trainers that stand in your way. Either way, to use a gameplay cliche present in many video games as a way to prove a character lacks personality is grasping for straws, as many times it's used to challenge the players themselves rather than have any baring on "story" and whatnot (again, welcome to JRPGs).)

Oh no, I'm not confusing anything of the sort.
The video games just do not convey any sort of personality in boring one-liners that,
more often then not, distract from the story.

What story? The badge quests in the games are personal quests to become a great Pokemon Trainer.

How do the lines in the games not convey personality? If you accidentally stepped on someone's foot in the streets and they screamed "You fucking clumsy cunt, watch where you're going!" at you, then you could probably infer that the guy is ill-tempered and a total, well, douche. NOT THAT HARD. The games even give you more lines than just mere "one-liners" for important NPCs like Gym Leaders, so that line of reasoning has no real basis.

Granted that the remakes do a lot to remedy this and expound much on the original characters

The remakes hardly even change any of the dialogue that was there originally. There's some added dialogue due to being able to register them onto your PokeGear and re-challenging them, but not enough to change your initial impression of the character.

What I'm coming to realize is that you're not up-set about the Anime not expounding on Personalities,
(which is does because it clearly matches about 90% that their in-game Personalities in accuracy, with the sole exception of Mikan,*
who the Anime depicts as older and more mature then her Game counterpart.) Edit: Mikan, not Akane.

Huh? The anime version of Akane is NOTHING LIKE her in-game counterpart.

"Sob... ...Waaaaaaah! You're mean! You shouldn't be so serious! You...you child, you! Waaaaah! Waaaaah! Snivel, hic...You meanie!"

^ Does this *sound* like something Akane would do in the anime?

Natsume is nothing like her game counterpart, and she was one of my favorite Gym Leaders in the anime. Heck, Shigeru is nothing like how Green is in the Jouto games, yet I still like him. This has nothing to do with 100% game accuracy, or lack thereof.

Quit trying to analyze my psychology, or whatever the hell it is you're doing - it's getting real obnoxious.

but rather you're upset that the anime does not live up to your own preconceived image that you've built up around the Game-characters.
When the Anime characters fall short of your expectations, you rail against them as if he anime writers are attacking your imagined way they should be.

I don't "rail" on any canon for not lining up 100% to how characters are in the games (oh, excuse me, my "preconceived image" of the character). If that was the case, I'd be railing on DOZENS of Pokemon manga. But I don't do that.

Rather, it seems you're the one under the impression that I'm some sort of game purist, fantasizing fanboy that is against the anime's deviations in every form for attacking my overactive imagination... when I merely voiced that I personally find some of the Gym Leaders in the anime bland, lackluster, and not as distinctive as they are in other canons. Canons in which the deviations are far greater, yet I find more creative. And you're constantly trying to turn it into an argument (riddled with straw man), which frankly is starting to puffle my jigglies.

Come to think of it, if we were to extend this debate into non-Gym Leaders such as Champions/Elite Four/Frontier Brains,
Wataru/Lance in the anime is probably the only character to fit your subjective "I specialize in [insert type]/Perfectly Dignified/Yet Approachable" template
and that's because that IS his Personality.

I never said I had a problem with Wataru, now did I? It's like you ignored that whole list of characters whose personalities I found bland and too similar, that already included one Elite Four member that WASN'T Wataru.

What you're complaining about is a Gym Leader ACTING like a Gym Leader.
Professional, Respectful, Courteous, and Polite. You're forgetting that being a Gym Leader
as well as being a position of Honor and Statute in Society, is first and foremost a Business!
There's a certain expectation that is held for Gym Leaders to act and to maintain, whether be it Business or Public Office.
But every Gym Leader has his or her own way of doing things and their Personalities come Shining through, despite their Position.
The anime has done a (mostly) decent job of expressing each Gym Leader's personality in appropriate degree.

Yeah. Natsume was totally being courteous by being a demonic kuudere and turning her challengers into dolls. Erika was totally being professional by having her underlings stamp X's on Satoshi's face and kicking him out of the gym just because he didn't like perfume. And Yanagi was being completely respectable to Satoshi when he started putting down Satoshi's belief that Pokemon and humans are meant to be friends. Oh wait, the anime has took the time to provide deviations besides that single archetype before! Who would have thought?!

In all seriousness. You just laid out the exact character template that I just don't like seeing used on more than one Gym Leader in the anime. I may be wrong, but it seems the only Pokemon canon you're familiar with is the anime, which is the only one that ever shoved that particular perception of what a Gym Leader is supposed to be down our throats. The only consistent description of a Gym Leader that's present in many Pokemon canons is that they're the strongest trainers in particular towns and are allowed to give out official badges. It's not like there's canonically laid-out rules of conduct on how a Gym Leader is supposed to behave while on the job, not even in the anime. Across multiple canons, there have been depictions where Gym Leaders acted like themselves and gave no shits about how they appeared to challengers, and no one respected them less for it. Even the anime had deviations like this.

There's no "right" way for a Gym Leader to act, unless they're villains like Sakaki, and Gym Leaders clearly aren't supposed to be villains. Either way, I don't care if a character is complete ass at his/her "job" as long as they have a fun and entertaining character. I liked the Rocket Gang Gym Leaders in the early Pokemon Special chapters more than several depictions of Gym Leaders in the anime. I didn't care if they were villains and a complete departure from their game personalities, they were cool characters.

If you're not happy with it and think you can do better, write Fan Fiction.
It's easier to criticize others' work then it is to create something of your own.

Oh god, the ever-so-lovable "if you aren't satisfied with it, make one yourself" spew. I hope you know it's never a valid argument. That's like saying I can't criticize the piss in my soup because I didn't make a sandwich.

As a fellow writer and a creator of art, that also has a doujin in the making simply because I want to share my own interpretation of Pokemon (while also attempting to rectify problems I have with the writing in the Pokemon anime that I feel would have been better had Takeshi Shudo been given more freedom), I will kindly say that one does not need to be a writer in order to give input or share their impressions on someone else's creative work.

If you're a creator of literary art, or just art in general, you need to be equipped to handle criticisms. If you simply block them out and ignore them, your skills are never going to progress. At the same time, as a fan, you shouldn't blindly praise aspects of a story you really like either. Being a little bit objective and acknowledging both pros and cons in a story is never a bad thing. It's actually healthy in terms of showing that you actually care enough about someone else's work, enough to find aspects that could have been done better in order to improve the writing. I address this in one of the posts I wrote for my anime blog. [/shamelessplug] And you know what's the glorious part of it all? You don't need to be an author yourself to do any of this! You don't need to be an author to enjoy a good story and you don't need to be an author to feel disappointed.

If the anime writers still had any dignity as people who produce creative works, they would appreciate the criticism instead of feeling disrespected by it. I'm not saying the entire anime sucks just because they didn't write some Gym Leaders the way I would have preferred - there are parts of the anime that I like, such as the Pokemon themselves being treated as their own developed characters besides just being sentient animals or pets. I give credit where credit is due, and no credit to aspects that I feel are underplayed. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Last edited:
I thought this was the "unpopular opinions" thread. Not the "attack another person's opinion because their opinion is... subjective (duh?)" thread.

That's right. It's not a thread to discuss other people's opinions.

Here's one that not necessarily unpopular with us anime fans but it seems unpopular with the fandom in general. Special is not some holy grail that does everything better than the anime.

First of all while both may have gotten different over time comparing both first sagas the manga suffers from terrible convenience. Green and Red switch pokemon but wasn't portrayed clearly enough to me how it happens maybe I'm dumb or just unobservant but then comes the only big battle for the sake of a battle in the entire saga (They jumped to the semis and one match ended in a double forfeit so there was only one match in the tournament which is pretty fucking lame) suffers from TERRIBLE convenience. First of all IIRC they don't use all there pokemon okay fine but they also don't have a scoreboard or a stated amount of pokemon. There is no swirly eyes or rerferee some pokemon are switch and some are knocked out and they didn't explain which is which. The only clear win was starter v starter and then it just ended.

Second of all Special is faithful in all the WRONG parts badges increasing stats, the completely the pokedex bullshit and existence of levels most of all. And Anime is faithful in all the RIGHT parts requiring 8 badges to enter the league and the whole gym leaders and elite 4 being in sportsmen positions rather than being villians. This fact is reason I could stomach the anime when it is pissing me off and never got into the manga

Last edited:
Second of all Special is faithful in all the WRONG parts badges increasing stats, the completely the pokedex bullshit and existence of levels most of all. And Anime is faithful in all the RIGHT parts requiring 8 badges to enter the league and the whole gym leaders and elite 4 being in sportsmen positions rather than being villians. This fact is reason I could stomach the anime when it is pissing me off and never got into the manga

You're forgetting Special treating the Pokemon as chunks of data made to have strategies formed around them first and living beings second (if at all), while the anime almost always approaches them as characters on about the same level as the humans. U: But yeah, the anime might not be perfect, but that doesn't mean Special is better. At all.

And this thread is about your unpopular opinions in the anime. If you want to talk about unpopular opinions for any of the manga, try making a thread here.

If I were to say it in that thread wouldn't the say the reverse seeing as it is a direct comparison? I only went in depth for the manga a tiny bit the second part was equal in manga and anime talking point.

Anyhoo Pokemon anime to me IS about the destination and his goal of becoming master not traveling for the sake of traveling.

Unpopular opinions: (Or more unpopular opinions).
I think that BW is worse than DP but BW wasn't a terrible series.
All Gym Battles in Best Wishes are at least acceptable. And the two that I think would be bad (Elesa and Roxie) could be salvaged because in the former the writers trying something different (and in the process we could be attracted by Elesa's charm) and Roxie because although the script was bad at least the battle was very good.
I think that Ash vs Stephan, the character's interactions, Bianca vs Cameron, Pikachu vs Lucario and the final farewell were good parts of the league, at least.
I think that Trip and Bianca were better before the league than after.
I don't think that Decolora Adventure won't be only filler. It will have important episodes. I think that the Oshawott/Dewott one, Professor Oak and Rotom one, Clair episode, Butterfree's return, Ash and Iris' break up episode, Cilan's tasting time and Purrloin and of course, the departures, won't be filler. I have doubts of the filler status of the Eevee episodes (if Sylveon appears here, I don't consider it filler), the Jirachi episode and the Team Rocket Emolga episode.
I think that with perhaps the exception of the Decolora arc, that the sagas are having less fillers each time. From Johto's 75 fillers we gop from 35 Hoenn and 18 Battle Frontier, from here to 30 Sinnoh fillers and from here, to 15 Unova's fillers until Episode N.

I don't consider a episode filler if those things happened:
A older character returns (and not only main character): Like the Clair episode.
When a game character of importance appears: Buck and Marley episode from DP.
When Oak meets new characters: Upcoming Oak episode and the Oak DP episode.
When there's character development in those episodes.

Certain Team Rocket episodes, specially from older sagas, in episodes where they do one time a change and revert back.
Examples of this are DP092 (where Team Rocket try to return to a more serious mode like Kanto) or AG089 (why? because TR capturing Pikachu is something expected that happens everytime but Pikachu joining Team Rocket is something very rare).

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want the writers/animators to go near a pen/computer(and whatever else they use) if they try and adapt the customization feature. Why? Well, I don't really want to see scenes devoted to Yvonne (my fanon name for the XY girl, who I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want as a main character) deciding what clothes she has to wear...especially if it involves fanservice. That would be worse than ANY training scene/episode, IMO.
Outfit changing should be either glossed over, or off-screen, like on The Weekenders, X-Men: Evolution, or Totally Spies!.

Last edited:
I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want the writers/animators to go near a pen/computer(and whatever else they use) if they try and adapt the customization feature. Why? Well, I don't really want to see scenes devoted to Yvonne (my fanon name for the XY girl, who I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want as a main character) deciding what clothes she has to wear...especially if it involves fanservice. That would be worse than ANY training scene/episode, IMO.
Outfit changing should be either glossed over, or off-screen, like on The Weekenders.

Ugh, that'd be terrible. I agree with you.

Ah, The Weekenders. I loved that show.

I used to watch X-Men: Evolution on Kids' WB! That was great. Scott McNeil as Wolverine was awesome. Kirby Morrow was awesome as Cyclops. And the story and plot itself was very well done. I actually really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men too.

I was never into Totally Spies! myself. It's a cool show, though, from what I've seen of it.

Some more unpopular opinions of mine:

- Gen IV nearly killed my interest in Pokemon.
- I don't hate Gen V.
- I liked the Gen V anime more than the Gen IV anime.
- I prefer Veronica Taylor's Ash to Rica Matsumoto's Satoshi.

I did, too, wish they'd bring it back, but on Disney XD.

I didn't like WatXM all that much (compared to XME), but what I watched was still decent. Agreed on the voices of X-Men Evolution. Great casting on their part!

I'd take Totally Spies! over The Amazing Spiez!.

I prefer Gen V anime over Gen IV anime myself.

I prefer Maddie and BF Zoppi Meowth over Nyasu's seiyuu.

Last edited:
I did, too, wish they'd bring it back, but on Disney XD.

I didn't like WatXM all that much (compared to XME), but what I watched was still decent. Agreed on the voices of X-Men Evolution. Great casting on their part!

I'd take Totally Spies! over The Amazing Spiez!.

I prefer Gen V anime over Gen IV anime myself.

I prefer Maddie and BF Zoppi Meowth over Nyasu's seiyuu.

Oddly enough, I heard Zoppi in "Odd Pokemon Out!" just a few days ago, and surprisingly enough, he sounded much closer to Maddie back then. I wish he'd have kept that voice. *sigh*

Outfit changing should be either glossed over, or off-screen, like on The Weekenders, X-Men: Evolution, or Totally Spies!.

You do realize they already did this with Dawn, right? Half her scenes in early DP was about her wearing different outfits and dresses.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom