• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

• Brock became rather bland in AG and DP, to the point where he was just THERE and treated as nonexistent, and sadly, the same is slowly happening to Cilan
  • I thought May was a more interesting character than Misty or Dawn
  • I think Max shouldn't have ever been on the show in the first place, what was the point in his character at all, he had no Pokemon, and didn't do much to actually progress the plot, same goes for Togepi.
  • Paul was a more interesting rival than Trip
  • The anime needs to have more villains besides the Team Rocket trio
  • They should have done a lot more with Tracey
  • I think Hunter J survived and is still alive
  • Iris didn't need Dragonite, and Cilan needs more Pokemon and overall focus
  • Kotetsu shouldn't have even appeared in the anime
  • Ash should have evolved more of his Pokemon, and more often, especially the starters save for his Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, and Torterra.

Quite frankly, nearly all of these would probably be considered as the ''fandom's opinions''. Except maybe the thing with Max, but I'm not really sure about what the fandom thinks about him. xP

. It's obvious it's a "kid-friendly" anime, and that just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I like it becasue it isnt full of mature junk that has dirtyed up the anime industry. though Byrons jokes made me laugh a bit..

I think most of the COTDs are hideous and should go to the scrap yard. Esp the twins in BW099. geeze
i wish the anime was more run like an american cartoon such as the Nicktoons
KEEP CHEREN OUT OF THE ANIME. CANT STAND HIM
And roxie is one of those character i must ask what the heck the creators were thinking

[Robo-Floatzel;4396296]

[*]Brock became rather bland in AG and DP, to the point where he was just THERE and treated as nonexistent, and sadly, the same is slowly happening to Cilan

I don't know if it's unpopular or not but Brock did become bland or atleast he seemed like he was really fading in the group. And Cilan is over the top with barely any flaws. It will get old fast. But I don't know if this is from fans or just a few people.

[*]I thought May was a more interesting character than Misty or Dawn

To be honest, I agreed with this in some way. Back in early AG I was highly interested in Max because I knew little about him and I didn't know what was going to happen to him. There was Brock but since he's been there before, having Ash a bit more mature than before made him seem like a father figure than an older Brother. Which was making me concerned.

[*]I think Max shouldn't have ever been on the show in the first place, what was the point in his character at all, he had no Pokemon, and didn't do much to actually progress the plot, same goes for Togepi.

Togepi was for GSC game promotional purposes. All they needed to do was make the thing move out of a case of arms and you had a Pokemon. Max is another story. But I think he was there to make Ash seem less like a kid and to have someone to look up to.

[*]Paul was a more interesting rival than Trip

Ofcourse.:rolleyes:

[*]The anime needs to have more villains besides the Team Rocket trio

Agreed. That way people would be at such a loss now for a bunch of villians who never achieved their goal in catching one Pikachu.:coughs:

[*]They should have done a lot more with Tracey

Absolutely! I mean his Pokemon were awesome. Just one or two battles would have been great.

[*]Iris didn't need Dragonite, and Cilan needs more Pokemon and overall focus

In the middle of BW, Cilan had alot of focus in the short episodes than Brock did his entire run. A dragonaire or something smaller would have been just as good for Iris. As long as it was a dragon type. But who knows how long would it have took for it to have evolve if Axew barely got to be used.

Last edited:
Just curious, am I the only one who didn't mind either Tracey or Max? A lot of people seem to downright dislike these two, but I never really had any problems with them being on the cast.

Just curious, am I the only one who didn't mind either Tracey or Max? A lot of people seem to downright dislike these two, but I never really had any problems with them being on the cast.

I didn't really have a problem with either one of them. Tracey was kind of bland, but he was still likable. Max could be really annoying at times, but I was more okay with him than I was with Tracey. At least it was kind of interesting to have a group not only with more than three characters, but a main character without Pokemon was also kind of interesting. Plus, I did like the sibling moments between Max and May, as well as the Jirachi movie, so he was basically fine with me.

• I thought May was a more interesting character than Misty or Dawn
  • I think Max shouldn't have ever been on the show in the first place, what was the point in his character at all, he had no Pokemon, and didn't do much to actually progress the plot, same goes for Togepi.
  • Paul was a more interesting rival than Trip
  • The anime needs to have more villains besides the Team Rocket trio
  • They should have done a lot more with Tracey
  • I think Hunter J survived and is still alive
  • Iris didn't need Dragonite, and Cilan needs more Pokemon and overall focus
I agree with practically all of these; if anything Max was worse than Togepi because in Togepi's defense at least it's cute.

- Misty is awfully overrated and I can't for the life of me understand the desperation of some wanting her back on the show.

Over the years i spent in online fandom, one of main reasons why many people want her back is because they find her great character missing humor and unique dynamic which was provided to main group. Not saying other girls didn't though, but they simply prefer chemistry which Misty created more.
They are also displeased with character never receiving proper closure leaving many things hanging open in story, along with untapped potential to do more.

Since we didn't seen Misty for 7 years already, i can understand disappointment from her fans and their favorite fading in oblivion. They simply want to see her again and im supporting that too.

Personally, yeah i liked Max. He may have not had pokemon, but he compensated for this handicap through other fields having his share of moments. He contributed to Ash development as trainer giving many useful information possessing impressive knowledge about tactics and pokemon matching Brock. I believe his presence helped Brock a lot in AG too compensating for loss of Misty, by having someone to who Brock could easier relate to having good character interaction. I also liked his fights with May, with whole brother-sister arguing adding interesting note to anime .

Hopefully one day he will return to have that promised battle with Ash. Although since characters don't age in pokemon, poor kid will from the looks of it stay forever at Petalburg gym rotting.

Though ill be completely honest here. If i could choose, i would rather have Misty instead of Max in AG series. It would have been cool to have two girls at once, and since she was more mature at that point, she could teach her some things as well. But that's just my personal preference.

But all in all Max served its purpose well enough.

The majority of the people wanting Misty back are probes those who hasn't watched Pokémon since OS, and just not bothered watching after OS. The majority of those who still are watching though probably don't care for her that much anymore due to the girls who came afterward, who all had a much better development than her and actually had a bigger role in the main cast too. But there are always those who remain loyal to Misty, even though they're still watching the series. I'm not saying that it's a fact, just my personal experience.

Oh, and I also liked Max a lot. I thought he was a great character, and the fights he had with May were very enjoyable in my opinion. The two of them were enough for to make a whole episode enjoyable.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm unsure as to how unpopular my opinions are but here it goes...

The only three things that really bother me about the anime are the following -

1. I honestly wouldn't mind if the Team Rocket trio just disappeared forever. For me, they became stale a long, long time ago. As in...half way through the Indigo League...

2. The 3D intro to BW episodes is possibly the most horrific thing I have ever had the displeasure of watching.

3. The battles. Every so often, I just wish it was a lot more accurate to the format of the video game battles. I know a lot of people will disagree with that and argue that it wouldn't work. That may well be true. However, I'm still going to be irritated when a trainer commands their Pokemon to 'dodge it.' Hold on...that's not a move? What do you mean 'dodge it'?! They may as well just shout, for example, ''Ok Bulbasaur, I choose you! Now run at the other Pokemon and BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT!''

- The floors in AG and especially in DP were way too shiny. Too much pink as well
- Too many of Hikari's Pokémon had the same beady eyes
- Shaymin looked like a schoolgirl's bag

wait...what?!

- I enjoyed Masato as a character and wasn't nearly as annoyed by him as most other people

- Grave-E's points about the DP training episodes and Dent in general would have been on my list a well

- one of the few things I liked about Hikari's plot were the wacky antics of her Pochama

- Johto is pretty underrated. While it is true that the region is full of terrible fillers, no real ongoing plot or thing to do for Kasumi/ Takeshi it had a pretty good league, nice TR plot ( the trio AND the organisation) and loads of genuinely funny episodes

- I never understood how anyone could miss the old US voice actors besides for nostalgia reasons. The quality of the actors was pretty lacking in my eyes ( the new ones aren't much better either)

The majority of the people wanting Misty back are probes those who hasn't watched Pokémon since OS, and just not bothered watching after OS. The majority of those who still are watching though probably don't care for her that much anymore due to the girls who came afterward, who all had a much better development than her and actually had a bigger role in the main cast too. But there are always those remain loyal to Misty, even though they're still watching the series. I'm not saying that it's a fact, just my personal experience.

If that was true, there wouldn't be so many fans who continued watching anime past Johto, giving chance to new girls still rather wanting Misty in anime. And believe me i met plenty of those.

I don't really agree how every girl which came after Misty had better development either, because at this point i feel Misty had more believable growth compared to Iris. And while May and Dawn received more focus, in character sense along with May i feel Misty changed the most, coming long way since Kanto.

I can however agree how in goal sense she got less development than other girls.

As far as role goes May and Dawn got more fleshing out as characters, and with Iris her aspirations and pokemon are getting abit more focus. But Misty played important role in series in sense of acting like Ash coach and mentor, along with Brock helping him to grow as trainer. Which was priority for anime standards back in day.

@TeddiUrsa: From what i noticed Misty and Brock actually got more focus in Johto compared to Kanto, but due to length of saga with there being good chunk of episodes where they sadly didnt do anything you could get impression how that wasnt the case. For example Misty battled more compared to Kanto and OI, did more with goal of becoming water master by entering Whirl Cup, Seaking catching contest, battled gym leader Dorian, bonded with several characters like Sakura drawing parallel with older siblings starting to mature etc.

Brock also had several funny and good moments there. He started to do steps forward in his breeder career receiving some development through various episodes,like when he took care of lost Stantler, entered contest for pokemon breeders along with Suzy in "Beauty and the Breeder" along with his obsessiveness over girls being explored more beside just staying on running gag in some episodes.

Woah woah woah, some brief responses to agree or point something out is one thing, but let's not argue about opinions here!

The whole POINT of this thread is for people to state unpopular opinions, after all. :ksmile:

-I like that Ash caught so many pokemon this saga and think he should capture more.
-I like that Iris got Dragonite.
-I like Piplup, Zoey and Kotetsu.
-I don't like Morrison.
-I love Johto.
-I think everyone should catch as many pokemon as they can.
-I think Ash caught Haunter.
-I think Misty is the worst female protagonist of the four (I still love her though).
-I would rank May as the best, Dawn, Iris and Misty last.
-I'm glad Tracey and Max were a part of the group.
-I think they should air the edited Porygon episode.
-I think that a lot of the banned episodes' reasons for being banned were ridiculous.
-I don't think they'll ever air the Plasma vs Rocket episodes.
-I didn't want Tepig or Krokorok to evolve.
-I hope Oshawott and Axew don't evolve.
-I think Ash will see Lapras, Pidgeot, Larvitar, Haunter, Primeape, Butterfree and Ambipom again before the show ends.
-I think Ash will see all of his old rivals and friends again too.
-I think Ash technically owned Larvitar for a while.
-I really wanted Iris to catch Meowth.
-I don't think Team Rocket are gone forever.

If that was true, there wouldn't be so many fans who continued watching anime past Johto, giving chance to new girls still rather wanting Misty in anime. And believe me i met plenty of those.

I said the ''majority'', and I said that it was my personal experience. Stating that you've encountered lots of people that think the opposite is your experience, and not a fact. It's a very poor argument, and it's nothing more than your personal experience.

I don't really agree how every girl which came after Misty had better development either, because at this point i feel Misty had more believable growth compared to Iris. And while May and Dawn received more focus, in character sense along with May i feel Misty changed the most, coming long way since Kanto.

Of course you don't agree. I personally see a much bigger development in May's case, as well in Dawn's.

Naturally, I think that you're completely wrong, but this isn't really the thread to argue about what female characters got the best development.

As far as role goes May and Dawn got more fleshing out as characters, and with Iris her aspirations and pokemon are getting abit more focus. But Misty played important role in series in sense of acting like Ash coach and mentor, along with Brock helping him to grow as trainer. Which was priority for anime standards back in day.

And once again, I disagree completely. That important role of her was nearly non-existent in my eyes.

• Max is my favorite character. Once upon a time I was a precocious, socially awkward bookworm who decided to watch AG after ragequitting Johto, and it was four-eyes who hit home. I don't think I would have committed to watching the whole series if he hadn't been there.
• Cilan's ~fabulousness~ can only be truly comprehended by those packing two X chromosomes.
• I don't hate Misty or even dislike her, but I really don't think she has much going on other than nostalgia value.
• Brock had been dead weight (in terms of character interactions) since Johto and his departure from the show is honestly for the best.
• I would have liked Iris a lot better if the writers had played up her wildness and disconnection with urban settings. The snarkiness just doesn't fit her at all.

Woah woah woah, some brief responses to agree or point something out is one thing, but let's not argue about opinions here!

The whole POINT of this thread is for people to state unpopular opinions, after all. :ksmile:

Unless the thread maker or an Anime mod decides for users not to argue about opinions, then they may do so. After all, there is no flamebaiting in there. It is completely tame and thus okay.

Anyway.

My unpopular opinion is that Ash should never age because it wouldn't change anything about his character.

I dunno how people feel about Ash for the most part, since I don't venture into that "Should Ash Leave or Not" thread, but I think Ash should stay on the show forever. Imo, he can never get stale because he's always changing.

And this is more of an unpopular opinion between me and a few close friends, but while I do like BW more than DP, I can't wait for it to finally end.

Team Galactic in the anime were pretty dull and uninteresting. All of their missions involved some kind of "Magic Plot Energy!", and Cyrus completely lacked the ambiguity and complexity of his game counterpart. People always said they needed more appearances, I think we could have done with fewer.

I like Max, too. His interactions with May were pretty unique and he's just so cute when he gets to geeking out about Pokemon.

No, I didn't mind them either. Sometimes I liked Tracey better than Brock. And Max only got on my nerves on a couple of episodes, but I liked him for the most part, especially in the Jirachi movie.

I dunno how people feel about Ash for the most part, since I don't venture into that "Should Ash Leave or Not" thread, but I think Ash should stay on the show forever. Imo, he can never get stale because he's always changing.

And this is more of an unpopular opinion between me and a few close friends, but while I do like BW more than DP, I can't wait for it to finally end.
I agree about Ash. Maybe the show would've turned out great if they had removed him after Kanto, we have no way of knowing, but at this point I want him to stay until it ends. I really do like the kid, and I can't understand why people who don't watch the show. It IS about him, so why watch something about a character you can't stand?

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom