• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I'd rather watch Johtoh fillers than a majority of BW episodes.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I think late Johtoh is the best part of the original series.

DA episodes are best part of BW.
Iris shouldn't be a gym leader.
Bicycle gag shouldn't be abandoned.
Dent is overrated.
Anything can happen in every region, there is no rules on pokemon anime.

Shimura is the best recurring AD on the show. Iwane's animation is great and all, but I can't stand how doughy some of his characters look.

My ridiculous opinions include preferring the dub over other versions, thinking Tracey was a great character, and liking Pikachu's Jukebox a bit too much.

Anime battle logic (electric attacks affecting ground types for example) actually makes more sense than game battle logic.

Johto filler episodes are actually enjoyable.

Filler episodes are actually more enjoyable than non-fillers.

Edit: What I mean for the last point is that the non-battle centric episodes are generally more enjoyable than battle-centric episodes.

Last edited:
Anime battle logic (electric attacks affecting ground types for example) actually makes more sense than game battle logic.

Oh god, yes. It's always seemed clear to me that game logic is formulated not to make actual sense (though it's at least internally consistent... mostly) but to make for good gameplay, have a system of rules without being needlessly complicated, etc. The anime, meanwhile, tries and usually succeeds in turning this into something that actually makes sense to the audience, because you're now watching it, not playing it. Which is good, because the game's rules taken as an actual set of physical laws quickly becomes absurd and unbelievable (see: Pokemon Special, all too often :p). Honestly, a lot of the anime's more awkward moments have come from when they've taken game mechanics too literally.

I'm not sure I can say the filler episodes are consistently better than non-filler ones, but there's quite a few fillers that are damn entertaining, interesting or fun. Half the draw of this show for me is seeing what the writers can come up with just by giving a single Pokemon a unique spotlight, really.

I do constantly wonder how things like "Poke Balls being thrown and somehow returning to the trainer" work.

Though I do think things like TMs or HMs could work. Especially given that Pokemon can be changed into energy and put into balls. If they can do that, why not devices that transfer knowledge into Pokemon's minds to learn new moves? I'm just saying that it wouldn't be too out there all things considered. I think Linkara once commented on this bout of schizotech where if Pokemon can be changed into energy for safe transport, could humans do the same? The games have teleportation technology where the Anime doesn't but for the latter, would it really be much of a stretch?

-Punny dub episode titles were kewl
-I like Pokémon contests
-Diamond and Pearl was underrated
-I like goofy Team Rocket
-I enjoy fillers
-I think Staraptor was Ash's best flying type
-I like Piplup
-I like really do like Misty but she's so bland. I dont see why OS fans think she's the most developed. She didn't do anything. At all.
-I don't think Ash leaving Charizard made him a noob
-4kids was overrated
-I honestly prefer the anime to the games and the manga

Last edited:
Newer series is better than the older ones.

Well, XY does show a lot of promise.

I wasn't too fond of Bianca's portrayal as a flanderized version of herself from the games. There, she wasn't a ditzy spaz so much as a sweet-hearted girl who tried her best despite her shortcomings. She was cute in the Anime but lacked the depth she could've had.

Ash is better then Any version of Red.
Iris=Dawn>may>Misty
I love Best Wishes.
I don't mind if Ash loses a league has long if it isn't bulls**t like kanto.
Cameron is better then Paul.
I like Ash's dub voice both of them.
Ash's Pignite is Strongest Unova Pokémon.
I liked the fact that Ash and Trip didn't have a full battle.
And finally there is no levels in the anime so Pikachu losing to trips snivy makes sense.

Oh i completely forgot about this thread.

In case i forgot to mention before here are some more which im pretty sure fall in domain of less popular opinions around here.
-ill admit BW series weren't my favorite saga but they were fun to watch having many memorable and endearing moments. Like amusing interaction with chemistry between Ash, Iris and Cilan containing lot of life and energy in themselves.

Having many new, ingenious ideas straying away from predictable formula introducing character rotation, each character having rivals which were incredibly dynamic and enjoyable to watch, concept of Don George tournaments which offered something different compared to contests on table providing outler so that each member of main cast, rivals and recurring characters can remain proactive, have meeting point to interact between themselves and gain experience from it etc.

-In all honestly while i enjoyed in pokemon contests i feel Misty and Iris has much, much better and more interesting premise behind their goals. If only than because unlike contests which are very linear and predictable having in advance planned structure which needs to be followed limiting writers way to alter plot, nature behind anime exclusive goals like type masters allows for them to ber taken in several different directions making multiple interpretations and outcomes from it. Be it Misty water master career involving entering water based events like Whirl Cup was making name for herself among other trainers in world bringing her closer toward recognition and title of alpha omega of said type, take her down E4 route becoming her idol Lorelei or Wallace apprentice suceeding them eventually since elite members are top trainers in using one type(Mistys goal), be involved within legendary pokemon plot learning how to master and connect with pokemon in deeper manner achieving perfect synchronization with them becoming like one(like they did with manga and Suicune choosing her as partner) etc.

Same applies to Iris with her dragon career setting foundation to be took in several directions,. Be it attending special school for aspiring future dragon masters, become exceptional and widely honoured dragon expert student learning about secrets and strength of specific type from them, travel around the world battling strong trainers, entering demanding competitions and learning more about dragon pokemon their weaknesses and strength by traveling, exploring on various characteristics going for them and developing new, unorthodox ways of battling you don't see on daily basis.

Making character development in theory all that more unpredictable with certain dash of mystery present behind it.

-Im not supportive of character replacing, at least not in such excess doses like pokemon does.

In moderation everything is good, but just like you can add too much condiment in dish your preparing overburning meal you can also exaggerate with constant cast replacing. Taking away from consistent story, continuity and more substantial development of characters reaching in end nothing but bunch of unfunished, underdeveloped and never to be seen again companions which could offer much more if returned refreshed, updated and improved through new exciting storylines and ways to see build up of their lifes and plots.

Many shows out there keep characters for multiple sagas, dive more in their stories receiving sequels, explore more on characterization and interactions through new and innovative ideas, having their characters go through changes and updates which prevents audience from becoming bored of it.. And while addition of new ones give someone else people which disliked previous character could relate too, at same time it alienates people which liked previous character and disliked new one. Since its impossible to please everyone.

But at least its possible in my opinion to have filled with continuity storyline which transfers to other region, stable cast which grows forward, cohesive plot and better quality which keeps links to its history and do build up on Ash story rather than going through resets.

- Im also of opinion how seeing older character we didn't see for ages(like Misty or May)return updated, renewed and freshed up would be totally unexpected and something completely different bringing breeze of fresh air in sense of seeing someone we grew to like taken in new exciting directions throuigh sequel of started story, renewing friendship with Ash, explore on chemistry withn newere companions, utiligte acquiored knowledge in meantime and go on bigger, better things as experienced character which steps up as trainer coming closer toward final destination.

Last edited:

Oh god, yes. It's always seemed clear to me that game logic is formulated not to make actual sense (though it's at least internally consistent... mostly) but to make for good gameplay, have a system of rules without being needlessly complicated, etc. The anime, meanwhile, tries and usually succeeds in turning this into something that actually makes sense to the audience, because you're now watching it, not playing it. Which is good, because the game's rules taken as an actual set of physical laws quickly becomes absurd and unbelievable (see: Pokemon Special, all too often :p). Honestly, a lot of the anime's more awkward moments have come from when they've taken game mechanics too literally.

I'm not sure I can say the filler episodes are consistently better than non-filler ones, but there's quite a few fillers that are damn entertaining, interesting or fun. Half the draw of this show for me is seeing what the writers can come up with just by giving a single Pokemon a unique spotlight, really.
The game is too technical to apply to the anime. When I saw that Special uses numerical levels, fuuu...

Various opinions:
Serena and her ship is overrated. The ship is out of proportion by the fandom.

Doing a new cast like BW in XY is a terrible idea.

Ash should have gotten Bulbasaur back to promote the kanto starters in the game.

MegaCharizard should have happened through the main anime.
I ha te clemont, Bonnie. And I also hate Dedenne, which I consider anon-marketable pokemon.
I am tired ofAsh catching the bird again.
A cast of Ash/Serena/Viola is better than the actual group.
I'm not convinced that Ash is going to get Greninja.

And an unpopular prediction: Ash will go to Laverre gym after Clemont.

Fennekin should be the mascot of te XY series alongside pikachu if they're using Serena as the main girl.

Ash and serena alone is a good group if there are supporting character revolving the duo appearing often. The ideal asebeing Alexa or Viola,

The game is too technical to apply to the anime. When I saw that Special uses numerical levels, fuuu...

Let's not even get started on Special. I swear, that manga doesn't even know what it's doing half the time. (And there's an unpopular opinion right there ;P).

I swear, that manga doesn't even know what it's doing half the time.

Hey, you try spreading out a serialized story in monthly installments to last a generation while fitting in stuff form new games and mixing in previous story elements.

Sometimes, I think the manga-kas have it harder than the anime producers...

I swear, that manga doesn't even know what it's doing half the time.

Hey, you try spreading out a serialized story in monthly installments to last a generation while fitting in stuff form new games and mixing in previous story elements.

Sometimes, I think the manga-kas have it harder than the anime producers...

None of the other Pokemon manga I have read are nearly as bad with it, though, and the author's had many years and many generations to get used to those conditions. I really don't think there's much of an excuse.

None of the other Pokemon manga I have read are nearly as bad with it, though, and the author's had many years and many generations to get used to those conditions. I really don't think there's much of an excuse.

I get that. Heck, I prefer the other manga stories myself because they tell a story with a beginning, middle and end without the loose ends and awkward tie-ins that take away from Adventures. Just kinda felt like saying that to be fair.

Last edited:
Well, anyway, getting back to the medium we're supposed to be talking about...

I don't get the fluster over "move errors". Movesets in the games change all the dang time, between and even within generations, which would seem to indicate they're not meant to be hard-and-fast limits on a Pokemon's abilities to begin with. Heck, there're even "errors" on Pokemon in the games. Most of the error moves are ones that make sense for the Pokemon given its traits and abilities, too (bonus points for those cases where an error move later became learnable in the games). If anything it makes things just a bit more interesting, since you can't reliably predict how things will go just based on the games.

But I don't actually remember the last time I saw someone complaining about this so yeah -shrug-

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom