• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I actually quite like Ash/Satoshi. I like that he sometimes loses, and I like that he goes against the norm to win his battles. If he won every battle, fought just as he did in the games, and had a super powerful team I reckon the anime would be quite boring.

I actually quite like Ash/Satoshi. I like that he sometimes loses, and I like that he goes against the norm to win his battles. If he won every battle, fought just as he did in the games, and had a super powerful team I reckon the anime would be quite boring.
Adding to this, I actually like how a lot of his Pokemon are unevolved. I'd like to see more Pokemon evolve, sure, but it's so satisfying seeing him win with a cuter and 'weaker' Pokemon.

If he won every battle, fought just as he did in the games, and had a super powerful team I reckon the anime would be quite boring.

I don't think anybody really wants that so much as him not losing too much.

And wait, since when was Ash in the games? Or do you mean the game PCs he's (loosely) based on?

Adding to this, I actually like how a lot of his Pokemon are unevolved. I'd like to see more Pokemon evolve, sure, but it's so satisfying seeing him win with a cuter and 'weaker' Pokemon.

I semi-agree. I just don't like it when the whole "evolving Pokemon is bad" notion in order to shove the cute Pokemon (to sell plushies and all) in our faces.

Somehow I think that surely some other people must agree.. but personally I find Team rocket appearing in a episode to be a drag and it kind of wrecks some of the episode:|

I really think that the anime was good in the beginning, then dipped around Hoenn, sunk at Sinnoh, then rose in Unova. Most people I know think it's just going downhill still.

Somehow I think that surely some other people must agree.. but personally I find Team rocket appearing in a episode to be a drag and it kind of wrecks some of the episode:|

one of those people right here :nod:

I really think that the anime was good in the beginning, then dipped around Hoenn, sunk at Sinnoh, then rose in Unova. Most people I know think it's just going downhill still.

From what I've heard from people it's probably just because they grew up with a different season and grew out of it during the other seasons.

And wait, since when was Ash in the games? Or do you mean the game PCs he's (loosely) based on?

I didn't mean that he was in the game, I meant the game-style way of Pokemon battling. The way that's seen as the norm.

I didn't mean that he was in the game, I meant the game-style way of Pokemon battling. The way that's seen as the norm.

Oh yeah. Yeah, I do like it when he thinks outside the box. Provide it doesn't get ridiculous like a certain armor made of thunder.

I actually think that the BW series was a good and decent arc...
The Unova League did kinda suck but I personally didn't have a problem with it...IT WAS DIFFERENT FOR ONCE!

Johto is the best series of the anime, and it rightfully should have ended there.
I don't support Ash/Serena. Serena is going to leave after XY ends, and the only reason they gave us to support it is they're childhood friends so why should I?

I think Alder's portrayal in the Anime was too goofy. It fit with his character from the game (he enjoys life after training non-stop with his Pokemon before it died and now he decides to enjoy the simple things in life), yes but I feel that he was made into too much of a joke.

I don't support Ash/Serena. Serena is going to leave after XY ends, and the only reason they gave us to support it is they're childhood friends so why should I?

We don't actually know she's going to leave- while the writers have been consistently rotating companions out for the last two sagas, they spent the four before that with Brock hanging around nearly the entire time, and Misty for the first two sagas. They might well decide it's time for the girl to stick around for more than a saga again (though I actually wouldn't expect Serena to be the one, since the whole shipping thing is sure to be... divisive).

As for your "only reason"... we're like seven episodes in. Give it time.

People keep saying to give it time, yet the writers themselves aren't giving it time, just forcing it immediately. It's not about time, it's about how she was established as a character. The first thing we know about the girl was that she was friends with Ash, and she likes him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johto is the best series of the anime, and it rightfully should have ended there.

Technically, Johto wasn't a series. It was the third saga in the original series, rather than its own series.

YamiiDenryuu said:
We don't actually know she's going to leave- while the writers have been consistently rotating companions out for the last two sagas, they spent the four before that with Brock hanging around nearly the entire time, and Misty for the first two sagas. They might well decide it's time for the girl to stick around for more than a saga again (though I actually wouldn't expect Serena to be the one, since the whole shipping thing is sure to be... divisive).

Misty lasted for two generations, but she was still present in the cast for one series. Brock is the only traveling companion to stick around for multiple series and I think he'll be the only exception. I really can't see them keeping Serena for another series, especially with how they've handled the female leads. There's no reason to think that they'll do something different with her in that regard. It is early in the series, but I see no reason why they would do something like that.

YamiiDenryuu said:

Misty lasted for two generations, but she was still present in the cast for one series. Brock is the only traveling companion to stick around for multiple series and I think he'll be the only exception. I really can't see them keeping Serena for another series, especially with how they've handled the female leads. There's no reason to think that they'll do something different with her in that regard. It is early in the series, but I see no reason why they would do something like that.

Well, they're doing something different to Serena that they've never done to any of the other girls. They're doing something new with Serena; her interaction with Ash is something we've never seen before. Serena didn't have a reason to travel in the first place (she left her home just to meet Ash, and she didn't have anything to do afterwards except for maybe Rhyhorn Racing), and it was Ash that suggested she'd travel with him (note her reaction when she accepted his offer). Ash specifically asked her, and while we don't know what Serena's main goal is, her interaction with Ash is clearly different from the previous girls.

And as for how Serena might last, we don't know what the next games will be - will it be a third version? a sequel? Hoenn remakes? Gen7? - it's too early to determine how long the saga will be or how it'll turn out like. Yes, the anime has its patterns, but they seem to be trying out new things and even though it's only been 7 episodes, XY feels different from the previous generations. Who knows? Serena might have a chance at lasting more than one season - since she seems to have more connections to Ash than the rest of the girls (although it's one-sided)

Well, they're doing something different to Serena that they've never done to any of the other girls. They're doing something new with Serena; her interaction with Ash is something we've never seen before. Serena didn't have a reason to travel in the first place (she left her home just to meet Ash, and she didn't have anything to do afterwards except for maybe Rhyhorn Racing), and it was Ash that suggested she'd travel with him (note her reaction when she accepted his offer). Ash specifically asked her, and while we don't know what Serena's main goal is, her interaction with Ash is clearly different from the previous girls.

I didn't say that they weren't doing anything different with Serena. I said that there's nothing to indicate that they'll do anything different with her in regards to keeping her around for only one series. So far, Brock has been the only traveling companion to stick around for more than one series, so there's nothing right now to suggest that they could do that with Serena. That's what I was trying to say.

Dark Kyriaki said:
And as for how Serena might last, we don't know what the next games will be - will it be a third version? a sequel? Hoenn remakes? Gen7? - it's too early to determine how long the saga will be or how it'll turn out like. Yes, the anime has its patterns, but they seem to be trying out new things and even though it's only been 7 episodes, XY feels different from the previous generations. Who knows? Serena might have a chance at lasting more than one season - since she seems to have more connections to Ash than the rest of the girls (although it's one-sided)

While it's true that XY seems to trying out new things, pretty much every series does that and that still doesn't provide much indication that Serena has a chance to stick around after XY. Her connection to Ash doesn't really change that either since she is a sixth generation character. There is no reason to keep a sixth generation character around once they enter the seventh generation. But this is getting off-topic, so let's just drop the issue of how long Serena will stay and get back on topic.

One exception (Brock, a Gen1 character that was recycled throughout 4 generations) exists - there's no rule there can't be a second.

Anyways, agreed to stop.

I'm kicking them in the jaw, crying "I don't want this!", but they're not listening.

Wow, it's almost as if what you think doesn't matter to them at all or something.

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying the fact that Serena doesn't have a goal yet. It's exciting to speculate on what she might do, and in a way is more realistic. Most 10 year olds setting off into the world on a journey probably wouldn't have any idea what to do with themselves until they find something they love. I certainly wouldn't decide on a premeditated purpose for my journey without experiencing a few different things first.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom