• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

1. I'm a bit iffy about the anime Cilan. I feel like he's too different from his game persona. In the games, he's a bit nervous and shy, but in the anime he's outgoing almost to the point of being pretentious. I've met a few people who've agreed with me.

3. I really hate how they portrayed Skyla. The game Skyla is very good-hearted and understanding. She even goes out of her way to help an injured Pokemon atop Celestial Tower. The anime Skyla, on the other hand, is rather stuck-up and immature. She denies Badges to Trainers who can't keep up with her. I was very disappointed when I saw that. I couldn't believe seeing one of the nicest Gym Leaders given a personality more like Lt. Surge. And come to think of it, I wasn't thrilled with how all of the Kanto Gym Leaders (except for Brock and Misty) were portrayed as jerks. Sure Sabrina isn't the friendliest of people in the games, but at least she doesn't stalk you after you can't beat her. I'm only glad they didn't do that to my beloved Morty.

3. Ritchie. He was annoying.

1. I'm a bit iffy about the anime Cilan. I feel like he's too different from his game persona. In the games, he's a bit nervous and shy, but in the anime he's outgoing almost to the point of being pretentious. I've met a few people who've agreed with me.

3. I really hate how they portrayed Skyla. The game Skyla is very good-hearted and understanding. She even goes out of her way to help an injured Pokemon atop Celestial Tower. The anime Skyla, on the other hand, is rather stuck-up and immature. She denies Badges to Trainers who can't keep up with her. I was very disappointed when I saw that. I couldn't believe seeing one of the nicest Gym Leaders given a personality more like Lt. Surge. And come to think of it, I wasn't thrilled with how all of the Kanto Gym Leaders (except for Brock and Misty) were portrayed as jerks. Sure Sabrina isn't the friendliest of people in the games, but at least she doesn't stalk you after you can't beat her. I'm only glad they didn't do that to my beloved Morty.

3. Ritchie. He was annoying.
I agree that they changed Skyla quite a lot, although it doesn't really bother me. I wanted to kill anime Skyla, but she was nice in the games. Except for the part in which she tried to cause brain damage to my PC XD

And I find Ritchie annoying too, I only liked him when I was around 5.

-I actually liked Max for what he was. Looking back on it now, yeah he didn't have any Pokemon, but he brought something different. Him, like Iris are great ideas (not exactly the best when they make TV, but they're good ideas).
-Torterra is actually my favorite Sinnoh Pokemon
-I like Oshawott
-There were a ton of really boring DP episodes.
-I think there should be some sort of balance, like we should see Pokemon being trained and learning moves and getting from point A to Point B to Point C logically, but it needs to be written in a way that's not really boring to see.
-The Battle Frontier Dub, the later episodes at least, are pretty bearable.
-I prefer Misty over Dawn now that I think about it. Dawn is pretty generic, way better written, but sort of generic.

This is a trick question. With such a divided and vicious fandom, every opinion is an unpopular one.

Some more

I liked Dawn the best of any pokegirls.
I enjoyed watching trip sweep the world cup.
I despise Kotetsu
I thought May was dreadfully boring by herself without max or a rival to interact with.
I thought DP brock was the most mature and intelligent of the entire series.
I despise paul and prefer any of Ash's other rivals bar ritchie.
I wanted mamoswine to beat Dragonite.
I find that Iris filled the Misty role better than misty ever did.
Bianca is the best of all of Ash's rivals.

The DP trio had very little chemistry compared to the other groups. Over time, I think the DP trio will be the least remembered group dynamic of the series, especially if the anime continues to go on for a long time yet. Probably doesn't help matters that its sandwiched in the middle of all the other groups now.

I said the ''majority'', and I said that it was my personal experience. Stating that you've encountered lots of people that think the opposite is your experience, and not a fact. It's a very poor argument, and it's nothing more than your personal experience.

Meaning how we are standing on equal ground, with each side talking from what they seen and encountered. There is no sufficient proof to support how most people who prefer Misty didn't watched newer sagas, just like it can't be proved how they did.

Of course you don't agree. I personally see a much bigger development in May's case, as well in Dawn's.

Naturally, I think that you're completely wrong, but this isn't really the thread to argue about what female characters got the best development.

To each their own.
Personally i find Misty changed more as character than Dawn or Iris did, with that change reflecting better growth through she went.

You don't, and im fine with that.

And once again, I disagree completely. That important role of her was nearly non-existent in my eyes.

Depends what you consider to be role.
Misty served as coach and motivator in main cast pushing others to try their best(thanks to her Ash became better trainer with this not being only Brock merit).
She often brought encouragement to others playing role of classical heroine saving other lives and pokemon,providing moral support.

And had great personality,bringing healthy interactions and dynamic within group containing lot of humor, tension and chemistry often turning episodes which are on first look mediocre in enjoyable ones. Worth of character isn't measured by how much he does, but by how valuable things he contributed to show were.

Way i see it, she played important role.

Last edited:
The DP trio had very little chemistry compared to the other groups. Over time, I think the DP trio will be the least remembered group dynamic of the series, especially if the anime continues to go on for a long time yet. Probably doesn't help matters that its sandwiched in the middle of all the other groups now.

I've been rewatching most of DP for quite a few months now and I'll probably order the Sinnoh League Victors DVDs in another couple of weeks or so, but I still don't see the DP trio having little chemistry compared to the other groups. I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but I think that the DP trio had better chemistry than at least the BW trio. At least all three characters felt like friends, while I don't really feel it with the BW trio. I thought that there was decent chemistry at first, but I think it was just the freshness of seeing a trio without Brock again after so many years, even though I actually liked Brock. They could have done a better job with Dawn and Brock's interactions, but they were still clearly good friends, rather than strangers, so I don't really see how the DP trio had such little chemistry.

Meaning how we are standing on equal ground, with each side talking from what they seen and encountered. There is no sufficient proof to support how most people who prefer Misty didn't watched newer sagas, just like it can't be proved how they did.

Which is the exactly the reason to why I stated that it was my personal experience, and definitely not a fact. See?

To each their own.
Personally i find Misty changed more as character than Dawn or Iris did, with that change reflecting better growth through she went.

I can repeat myself if you want to. I don't agree.

Depends what you consider to be role.
Misty served as coach and motivator in main cast pushing others to try their best(thanks to her Ash became better trainer with this not being only Brock merit).
She often brought encouragement to others playing role of classical heroine saving other lives and pokemon,providing moral support.

And had great personality,bringing healthy interactions and dynamic within group containing lot of humor, tension and chemistry often turning episodes which are on first look mediocre in enjoyable ones. Worth of character isn't measured by how much he does, but by how valuable things he contributed to show were.

Way i see it, she played important role.

I don't agree, again. I guess it's a matter of what you ''want'' to see, or what's overanalysed, as I never got such an impression of her character at all when I was watching OS. But your opinion.

Which is the exactly the reason to why I stated that it was my personal experience, and definitely not a fact. See?

I probably have misread it, so my apologies for that.

I don't agree, again. I guess it's a matter of what you ''want'' to see, or what's overanalysed, as I never got such an impression of her character at all when I was watching OS. But your opinion.

Its not "what i want to see", but what happened in show. I can count ton of examples where Misty played role of Ash mentor helping him in selection of pokemon, warning him about type advantage, criticizing him when making wrong moves and serving as push to go forward when he lost or was in losing position. Same goes to influencing plot in one way or another when helping others with issues or saving lives and add of comedy and chemistry in cast is self explanatory.

Now if you don't consider this as important role, that's fine i respect your view.
But none of things i mentioned were made up.

Either way im done discussing this, assuming you are as well.

Scott, even though Brock and Dawn didn't interact as well as the BW group doesn't mean people won't remember them. Dawn was a true main cast character and Ash was quite better at basically everything. The only reason why those might not remember Brock was because it was like he was fading away. He and Dawn weren't giving each other high fives or double battling with one another like they could have been. Those who remember Brock most remember his flirting and Croagunk.

Its not "what i want to see", but what happened in show. I can count ton of examples where Misty played role of Ash mentor helping him in selection of pokemon, warning him about type advantage, criticizing him when making wrong moves and serving as push to go forward when he lost or was in losing position. Same goes to influencing plot in one way or another when helping others with issues or saving lives and add of comedy and chemistry in cast is self explanatory.

Now if you don't consider this as important role, that's fine i respect your view.
But none of things i mentioned were made up.

And so can I do with other female protagonists too. Misty wasn't the only one who played that kind of role, and to be perfectly honest, I actually thought that it was Brock that was the main coach of Ash, if anyone was. At least him even I could notice.

Her role must've been very minor but yet had a very huge affect if I apparently missed it, 'cause I'd have a very hard time picking them out. So, I'll stand by my statement of overanalysing what you want to see.

Yah, okay.

- The movies suck so hard, that the only parts I enjoy are movie openers with lots of pokemons running around and some kickass game characters battling each other! oh and the music XD

-Hikari is mind-numbingly dull!!!!! Yes here development was better, but her personalty is so annoying!!! and her team is plain one-dimensional. Hated it when she got the second place in the GF. Haruka is far better >>

-Iris is love!! Interesting goal ( Dragons for crying out lout), interesting pokemons ( Doryuzu for heaven's sake). awesome design and awesome tan.

- Love Kairyu addition to Iris's team and disagree with those who say it was given solely to glorify Iris. I mean come on! Do we always need to have the MC capture a pokemon in the first stage, train it hard, kizuna mabu jumbo and yada yada and poof a reasonably strong pokemon?! Nope! with Kairyu we get to see Iris's ability in controlling power-freak, pseudo legendary dragon pokemon that goes koko just for the heck of it.

- Haruka has the best poke character design!!! (Well, I don't know is this is unpopular lol)

Well, that's my list for now, will probably update it late :)

And so can I do with other female protagonists too. Misty wasn't the only one who played that kind of role, and to be perfectly honest, I actually thought that it was Brock that was the main coach of Ash, if anyone was. At least him even I could notice.

Her role must've been very minor but yet had a very huge affect if I apparently missed it, 'cause I'd have a very hard time picking them out. So, I'll stand by my statement of overanalysing what you want to see.

With May and Dawn it was other way around. They didn't coached or mentored Ash, starting out as beginners which needed guidance and help from others. And Iris doesn't really coach Ash either.

Misty and Brock were ones which helped him to grow most as trainer, which is understandable since he was total rookie back than needing help the most.There are several examples where Misty helped Ash to recover and grow as trainer, such as: teaching him or reminding about type advantage like she did with Caterpie when he send it out against Pidgeotto, when he sent Phanphy against Pryce Dewgong,when she suggested what pokemon to use during Indigo league, in Blaines gym etc. Helping him along with Brock to come up with strategy in Whirl Cup, grass tournament or against trainers in Johto league such as Macy or Gary.

She often motivated him and pushed to go forward, when losing in Kanto league not allowing him to stay in room whole day to self pity himself, when she encouraged him in battle against Rudy in Orange Islands when he was in losing position, leading to Squirtle learning hydro pump and in many, stopping him from being carried away preventing to fall in TR trap and many other instances.

Her snarky comments and underestimation of Ash skills often arguing each other to prove their point or claiming to be better trainer served as wind in back too for Ash.
Granted Brock was Ash main coach, but Misty played that role as well contributing more to Ash growth as trainer than others did.

Main characters for who it can be said how they had smallest role were Max or Tracey, but i certainly disagree that Misty falls in that category.

I think Dawn wearing that same pink dress in every Contest was worse than if she just wore her normal clothes in Contests. I think that pink dress ruined her image for some people, and is why people only think of her as being girly rather than a regular trainer where she gave the impression of otherwise.

Dawn was the most active battler of all the main girls, but the fact that she had to wear a pink dress in every contest made it seem less so. Or something like that.

With May and Dawn it was other way around. They didn't coached or mentored Ash, starting out as beginners which needed guidance and help from others. And Iris doesn't really coach Ash either.

And with Ash coaching May and Dawn, they, or especially Dawn, repayed him by teaching him stuff too. If there's anyone that has affected Ash the most, it's Dawn. Watching her Contest Battles and watching her train has improved Ash's skill tremendously. Misty might've been the first ''coach'', or whatever she was, but Dawn was the one who helped him improve as a Trainer the most. If it wasn't for her, Ash wouldn't have learned the spinning dodge, the Counter Shield, the Ice Aqua Jet or other stuff like that, and it was thanks to those kind of strategies that having Ash make it up to the best four was realistic.

So in the longrun, I'd say that Dawn was the one who affected Ash most as a Trainer, while Brock was the one who truly acted as a coach.

Oh, and Iris might not coach Ash, but saying that she doesn't contribute to his growth as a Trainer is wrong too. That you should've noticed. After all, Iris was the one who taught Ash about the basics when he first arrived to Unova. He taught him about the Battle Club, she (and Cilan too for that matter) taught him about the Unova Pokémon, and always pointed out type advantages in battles. She even inspired him to continue battling, even when everything seemed hopeless. No main girl has ever had such a huge effect on Ash before, but Iris had. During his 8th Gym Battle, she and Cilan was the reason to why he actually considered battling, and didn't give up.

Misty definitely coached Ash about the minor basics though, just as Brock did.

I think Dawn wearing that same pink dress in every Contest was worse than if she just wore her normal clothes in Contests. I think that pink dress ruined her image for some people, and is why people only think of her as being girly rather than a regular trainer where she gave the impression of otherwise.

Dawn was the most active battler of all the main girls, but the fact that she had to wear a pink dress in every contest made it seem less so. Or something like that.

I don't quite see how Dawn wearing the same pink dress in every Contest until the Grand Festival ruined her image, unless people really wanted her to wear different outfits for each Contest, or how it make it seem like she was less of an active battler. Outfits don't really have that much of an impact on me and the character's development and personality matters much more in my opinion.

And with Ash coaching May and Dawn, they, or especially Dawn, repayed him by teaching him stuff too. If there's anyone that has affected Ash the most, it's Dawn. Watching her Contest Battles and watching her train has improved Ash's skill tremendously. Misty might've been the first ''coach'', or whatever she was, but Dawn was the one who helped him improve as a Trainer the most. If it wasn't for her, Ash wouldn't have learned the spinning dodge, the Counter Shield, the Ice Aqua Jet or other stuff like that, and it was thanks to those kind of strategies that having Ash make it up to the best four was realistic.

So in the longrun, I'd say that Dawn was the one who affected Ash most as a Trainer, while Brock was the one who truly acted as a coach.

Oh, and Iris might not coach Ash, but saying that she doesn't contribute to his growth as a Trainer is wrong too. That you should've noticed. After all, Iris was the one who taught Ash about the basics when he first arrived to Unova. He taught him about the Battle Club, she (and Cilan too for that matter) taught him about the Unova Pokémon, and always pointed out type advantages in battles. She even inspired him to continue battling, even when everything seemed hopeless. No main girl has ever had such a huge effect on Ash before, but Iris had. During his 8th Gym Battle, she and Cilan was the reason to why he actually considered battling, and didn't give up.

Misty definitely coached Ash about the minor basics though, just as Brock did.

I disagree. When he came to Sinnoh , Ash was already experienced trainer, knew a lot about strategy with basics being fully covered. Things you counted didn't influenced his growth as trainer nearly as much like Misty and Brock did. What you counted with Dawn is called adding some of new tricks to already established trainer to better your battling style. When you compare Ash from start of Kanto with Ash at end of Johto/start of Hoenn its noticeable he changed under influence of his friends much more as trainer ,than he did when starting as someone who defeated Brandon before entering Sinnoh with how he was at end of DP.
Where most of improvement he made by himself ,already having knowledge absorbing new things by observing others later deciding to implement them to already created battling style.

As far as Iris goes she introduced him with Unova customs, what kind of events take place there etc but she wasn't direct causation which influenced Ash development as trainer. You say she inspired Ash to continue battling?
With Misty she didn't only inspired Ash to continue battling, but also directly influenced flow of battle and continuation of Ash career as trainer. We can see that through plenty examples.
When he lost to Ritchie in Indigo league Ash fall down in depression, not seeing point to continue nor listening to anyone until Misty gave him reality check. Before league he took participation easily not training much at all until Misty intervened. One of examples which especially come to mind were when he rather decided to watch battles on TV instead of going outside to train.

When he challenged gym leader Danny from OI, Misty teasing and criticism underestimating Ash abilities,pushed him to go forward wanting to prove her wrong which resulted in passing challenge and earning badge.
When battling against Rudy with Starmie being close to defeating Squirtle, Ash was on edge of losing giving up until Misty gave him motivation speech and wake up call in using Squirtle true inner strength which leaded to learn of hydro pump turning tide of duel in his favor. List continues.

Im in no way denying that Ash learned new things when working with May or Dawn, but they didn't contributed to his growth nearly as much like Misty and Brock did. Who trained him, pointed out his mistakes making sure to correct them,and lifted up his spirit far more.

When he started journey Ash was completely clueless and immature, didn't knew what pokemon are good to use against each other, had no idea how gyms and league works, often used reckless approach deciding to rely more on luck instead of working and training with pokemon intensively and often let success hitting him in head leading to humiliation afterwards.

It was Misty who kept him on ground giving him reality check when Ash used to act impulsively when being annoyed by Gary or starting to brag how he is better trainer than he really was, learning how to be more patient and wise.
She often mentored him along with Brock about type weakness and what kind of approach he should tale toward certain pokemon with certain rivalry which was present between them invoking in Ash desire to try harder which later reflected on his battling style.

Along with Brock, she served as catalyst to help Ashs growth as trainer when he needed help the most during its rookie days with tips, encouragement, teaching and strong friendship which was established between them leaving impact on his gradual change.
None of other girls and males which came afterwards helped to make Ash familiarized with real life and how things work, about basics and essence of battling and strategies like those two did.

3. I really hate how they portrayed Skyla. The game Skyla is very good-hearted and understanding. She even goes out of her way to help an injured Pokemon atop Celestial Tower. The anime Skyla, on the other hand, is rather stuck-up and immature. She denies Badges to Trainers who can't keep up with her. I was very disappointed when I saw that. I couldn't believe seeing one of the nicest Gym Leaders given a personality more like Lt. Surge.
Ugh, this. The whole sky battle or air battle or whatever in Arceus' name they were calling it was ridiculous and was a black mark against Skyla's name. My husband--who liked Skyla--lost a bit of respect for her because of that bullcrap. The writers could have certainly handled that one a lot better.

Oh and I liked Max. I found him cute. I know a lot of fans hate him but I thought he was adorkable. :ksmile:

pokemon fan 132;4398165I disagree. When he came to Sinnoh said:
The fact that he already was an experienced trainer doesn't change the fact that he's still able to develop massively. The way Misty had influenced him did absolutely not have the same affect on him as Dawn had. If I recall correctly, Ash never stopped and was like ''oh, wait, Misty taught me that I shouldn't use this Pokémona against that kind of Pokémon, it's a bad typ typing...''. However, with Dawn, the things he learned was taken up several times in battles, and it was even taken so far that his own rival snapped up on what he had learned.

The basics might be vital for being a Pokémon Trainer, and it might be what Misty and Brock taught him, but that's something every Trainer learns with time, and it's something that also Ash mostly learned by himself by battling, with Misty and Brock occasionally giving him a tip or two.

As far as Iris goes she introduced him with Unova customs, what kind of events take place there etc but she wasn't direct causation which influenced Ash development as trainer. You say she inspired Ash to continue battling?
With Misty she didn't only inspired Ash to continue battling, but also directly influenced flow of battle and continuation of Ash career as trainer. We can see that through plenty examples.

Oh, you mean that time when she screamed at him and he got annoyed with her? She didn't inspire him in the same friendly way that Iris and Dento did, it was more like a ''you better win sucker''-situation. He wanted to prove himself due to her screaming at him, which made him determined. However, with Iris and Dento, Ash got inspired in the way that he didn't want to let his friends down after they actually had put down all that effort in dressing up as well as getting drums to actually cheer their friend all the way through. You see the difference?

When he lost to Ritchie in Indigo league Ash fall down in depression, not seeing point to continue nor listening to anyone until Misty gave him reality check.

You mean that time when she once again screamed at him and he got upset? I barely thought Misty did much that time alone, but it was more like the whole gang of Prof. Oak, Brock, Dehlia AND Misty's effort.

List continues.

Go on. Name one time when it was just as big as the time Iris cheered him on.

When he started journey Ash was completely clueless and immature, didn't knew what pokemon are good to use against each other, had no idea how gyms and league works, often used reckless approach deciding to rely more on luck instead of working and training with pokemon intensively and often let success hitting him in head leading to humiliation afterwards.

You mean like most beginning Trainers? That's... not really surprising. However, getting into the bascis was something that Ash nearly did all by his own. Misty and Brock supported him, of course, but it was clear to me that Ash learned a lot more by himself by participating in battles and going out on adventures than by them.

Along with Brock, she served as catalyst to help Ashs growth as trainer when he needed help the most during its rookie days with tips, encouragement, teaching and strong friendship which was established between them leaving impact on his gradual change.
None of other girls and males which came afterwards helped to make Ash familiarized with real life and how things work, about basics and essence of battling and strategies like those two did.

I think Dawn, especially, did exactly that, and much more. She actually tries her absolute hardest to cheer Ash up when he's depressed, she even created a whole circus to cheer him up after his loss against Paul. Not to mention that Dawn was the on who believed in Ash the most. While others were unsure if Ash was going to win or not, Dawn often remained confident and smiled when she happily said that she knew that Ash was going to win, which he then did. She had confidence in him, she knew and believed in him, and she's surely the one who had the biggest influence on him.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom