• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Kenji needs his own G.E.M. figure. I'd insta-buy it.

We got this once so I haven't lost all my hopes yet.
BOeVWz5.png

I can't to mad at this one because it's present in games to with the gym leaders and champion having other career but I dislike the idea of trainers being bested by forest rangers, wild pokemon, coordinators etc.

Imagine you're watching an anime about math duels and the main character loses to a physicist. Like yeah physicists do math but so do mathematicians.

Imagine you're watching an anime about math duels and the main character loses to a physicist. Like yeah physicists do math but so do mathematicians.
But isn't this true in life anyway? Just because someone is a so-called-expert in something, doesn't mean they can't be outsmarted or beaten by someone who technically speaking isn't.

Kenji needs his own G.E.M. figure. I'd insta-buy it.

We got this once so I haven't lost all my hopes yet.
BOeVWz5.png

I wonder if they gave him the headband as a reference to Domon Kasshu, also voiced by Tomokazu Seki.

I wonder if they gave him the headband as a reference to Domon Kasshu, also voiced by Tomokazu Seki.

You know, I love how they have a character voiced by Seki Tomokazu, but then treat said character like utter shit all things considered. What a waste.

Kenji should make a triumph return as a villain and skewer Satoshi with the Gate of Babylon.

The Pokemon Movie 20 "I Choose You" dub was really, really bad: Sarah Natochenny made Ash sound like a grown woman in emotional scenes, and a teenage girl at other times (And some people say Veronica Taylor got worse? Compared to this performance, she was excellent in the Lucario Movie to me), Cathcart made Oak sound like a young, nasally guy, his James sounds like an older man with a cold, Jessie's voice is way too high pitched and ditzy, Meowth still has the voice of a gangster with a rough voice in the dub, the dialogue/script translation was very awkward with "dude," "tubular," "Yo ho, Ho Oh," "Might makes right," Cross sounded like a hammy heroic guy in the dub rather than a stoic, cold rival at times, Sorrel's dub VA was wooden, and the fact the dub kept 1/55 pieces of Japanese music makes the whole painful experience that much worse to me. Oh, and let's not forget Kate Bristol's Pikachu being so poorly done that theaters across the world laughed at the scene outside of Asia.

Movie 20 dubbed is probably the most overrated and genuinely bad Pokemon dub I've seen in years, overall.

I think that this would be an unpopular opinion at least for this site. I absolutely loved Movie 20. It may already be in my top five favorite Pokemon movies, although I always have a hard time ranking new movies every year. I liked the majority of changes they made to events they adapted from the original series. Most of them were either good changes to begin with or made more sense for a movie setting. I actually liked Verity and Sorrel a lot more than I expected. They honestly worked pretty well for their roles and their friendships with Ash were nice. I can still understand why fans didn't like that Misty and Brock weren't in the movie, but considering the it was Ash's story, they wouldn't have really stood out and they would have had a hard time balancing out screentime for three recognizable characters. The complaint feels pretty moot to me at this point when Misty and Brock showed up in the main anime series, but I can still understand it to a certain extent.

They had their own backstories that didn't really connect back to the main story, but I didn't mind that since the rest of the movie was so good and it made me want to see their stories being explored in the future. I'd actually really like specials featuring Verity and Sorrel or somehow bringing them into the main continuity of the series. I doubt that either one is going to happen, but these were more interesting movie-only characters than I've seen for the past few movies, so that was nice.

Even with the changes they made to Ash's beginning in mind, the movie still felt like a love letter for the anime. It felt like it was honoring/celebrating the heart of the series, which would be Ash and Pikachu's bond, and it did so quite well. It made me feel happy to be a fan of the anime for all these years and anything that makes me feel like that is doing something right in my book. It wasn't perfect and if people wanted a more traditional nostalgia trip kind of anniversary movie, I can see understand feeling different about it, but I really loved it. It made me kind of want a continuation of this movie continuity, even though I'm not sure if they will considering that this was primarily made for the 20th anniversary of the anime.

At the very least, I kind of hope that they go with more clearly AU movies. Aside from this one and the Victini movie, I firmly believe that the other movies are in canon with the anime or at least don't provide any drastic change that could prevent them fitting within a specific series. While I do like a lot of the movies in this franchise, I feel like the formula has gotten a bit stale over the past few years. That's probably another reason why I like this movie since they went all out with making it an AU retelling of Ash's journey and it felt more unique as a result. Doing something like that at least a bit more often might help to make the movies more refreshing and interesting.

SM's current plot is rushed and full of plot holes that doesn't make any sense and basically "meh" compared to the games. Faba is no main villain.

(I still didn't see the movie)

I think that this would be an unpopular opinion at least for this site. I absolutely loved Movie 20. It may already be in my top five favorite Pokemon movies, although I always have a hard time ranking new movies every year. I liked the majority of changes they made to events they adapted from the original series. Most of them were either good changes to begin with or made more sense for a movie setting. I actually liked Verity and Sorrel a lot more than I expected. They honestly worked pretty well for their roles and their friendships with Ash were nice. I can still understand why fans didn't like that Misty and Brock weren't in the movie, but considering the it was Ash's story, they wouldn't have really stood out and they would have had a hard time balancing out screentime for three recognizable characters. The complaint feels pretty moot to me at this point when Misty and Brock showed up in the main anime series, but I can still understand it to a certain extent.

They had their own backstories that didn't really connect back to the main story, but I didn't mind that since the rest of the movie was so good and it made me want to see their stories being explored in the future. I'd actually really like specials featuring Verity and Sorrel or somehow bringing them into the main continuity of the series. I doubt that either one is going to happen, but these were more interesting movie-only characters than I've seen for the past few movies, so that was nice.

I'd like to see them again too, but I want Bonji in the tv series most of all.

I like him and he deserves more than what they gave him.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I genuinely don't get what you like about him (other than a cute design), given how little he did.
I guess/think that's no longer an option.
Really? Because the main story is just starting and I kind of get the feeling that Sauboh's role is all but finished at this point...
To be fair that was Takeshi's role in Diamond&Pearl...
And the reason why everyone wanted him gone by the end of it...

Didn't she just sacrificed herself to save her son?
We are talking at cross purposes here - I never said that Lusamine is the main villain, just that Sauboh is a red herring from the main plot. I think I am still right on this!

We are talking at cross purposes here - I never said that Lusamine is the main villain, just that Sauboh is a red herring from the main plot. I think I am still right on this!
Ah, you mean Rainbow Rocket? Yeah, that could happen.

Nice timing on my part to change avatar.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom