• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Reliving this old thread;
diamond and pearl were the worst seasons out of the entire anime, with journeys being second in place (for pacing and plot). Honestly, the writing wasn't terrible and there were quite a few enjoyable filler episodes, but the way it presented the non filler, it truly sucked. I always skipped the battle scenes and most of the non filler. It was kinda reminiscent of the REALLY OLD battle scenes. I could watch the competition episodes and enjoy them much more than i did the battles.

I have B&W and S&M as my two favorite seasons!!

I think we're disappointed by Ash telling the truth about Serena kissing him when she went to the Hoenn region and Ash doesn't want to tell the old friends and mother because she's keeping up with her lie.
That worries us, the lie is not good to complete the end.

• Iris and Goh are extremely overhated.
  • I don't really like Misty as much as Ash's other female companions.
  • The Pokemon Sun & Moon series art style isn't really that bad.
  • The 4kids dub isn't really that great. It's mediocre at best.
  • I don't care about any of the Pokemon ships.

• OS Ash is an underrated character, as he acts more like a boy his age would, and had several emotional episodes others would merely copy in ways afterward.

• DP Brock was an awful character, and easily the worst male companion in the Series.

• XY is not the best Series, and is one of the worst ever produced.

• The Pokémon English dub went downhill immediately after 4Kids left towards the end of AG when BF started, not a decade later, in XY when Ed Goldfarb became the dub's music composer: the voice acting & script writing took an instantaneous nosedive for literally almost every character, as did the OP quality (as an example, compare the last 4Kids OP which is 1 minute long, to the first TPCi OP, which is 30 seconds- and that set the tone for what TPCi does for the rest of the run too, BF is easily the worst dub OP in AG IMHO), and it never recovered.

While it still had its problems (and 4Kids to their credit, never got objectively as awful as TPCi has become about the amount of OST they replaced by Season 16/late BW onward in the last 3 Series in a row aka XY, SM & JN...the music changes were starting to get a bit overboard in the Anime & it especially contrasts when the Movies at the time kept 100% of the OST simultaneously making you wonder why they couldn't do the same there & the food edits were dumb), it was serviceable and perfectly watchable until the cast & crew got purged out in a rather disgusting way.

From that point on, the dub becomes questionable in almost every facet over time (and there's always some VA managing to annoy me in a role- for BF, Ash, May & Max got on my last nerves; DP, Brock & TRio; BW James/Meowth; XY Ash, James & Meowth; SM Brock, Misty, Lillie, James, Jessie & Meowth; in JN, almost everyone save Chloe/Koharu).

• The Pokémon dub is unwatchable from XY onward & not merely going downhill, that happened far earlier: unless you're trying to count music tracks kept in one go fast (like me) or grew up with the current VA cast (and thus have nostalgia for them) I cannot see ANY appeal to the dub from this point onward: visual edits/censorship came back by SM (JN's recent episode was an ALL TIME low for the dub on this, even having editing 4Kids didn't do with frozen Ash), TPCi has been Americanizing things like 4Kids since XY such as erasing Korrina's kanji during her battle poses then, the VA work is subpar w/poor line deliveries and some miscast VAs + the script writing was pretty bad until very recently toward the end of JN with tons of rewrites just like 4Kids-- but unlike 4Kids, TPCi's dialogue was much more jaded, alliterative, and slang filled in comparison.

• Sarah Natochenny "improved" from being outright abysmal as Ash when she began for 4 straight years, to just bland/generic & mediocre by the end in JN, and still grating in several ways with an effeminate, older than 10 sounding voice to this day staying put which is not stellar. I don't hear what some do here, unfortunately, I'm one of few who heard Natochenny for much longer than Taylor but still really "stuck" to Taylor & wasn't at all impressed by the former (I sometimes imagine if Taylor had the time opportunity she was afforded, where she could have gone with it given how she ended on a high point in M08, makes me very sad just thinking about it).

• Veronica Taylor was on the other hand, at least listenable/okay when she started, and got progressively better and better, until her Ash voice became the iconic one that many fans loved until she was replaced by the end of AG because TAJ were a cheaper studio than 4Kids and PUSA/TPCi are notorious for being cheap (see: Goldfarb, also see: Pokémon USA recasting controversy - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia).

• Every other TPCi VA deteriorated over time, and James got so bad by the end w/JCC, that he made Stuart's worst sound angelic in comparison.

Last edited:
The writing was at its all time best in DP

Misty is groteusqly overrated

Pikachu needs to step off and let somepoke else have the spotlight more often

The First Movie is the Worst Movie

Ash is one the worst protagonist in all of anime, if not ever, and is surrounded by pokemon, comapions, rivals, allies and enemies more interesting and likable than him

I usually like it when the Legendaries show up in the Show better than in the Movies

I like all the other TR members (including one shots) better than the Trio

There. I said my piece. (Feels good to get that off my chest)
Now, how could you say the first movie was the worst? When I watched that in the movies when I was a kid and Ash turned to stone, the entire theater burst into tears, along with me. It was one of the most emotional times of my life.

Now, how could you say the first movie was the worst? When I watched that in the movies when I was a kid and Ash turned to stone, the entire theater burst into tears, along with me. It was one of the most emotional times of my life.
The dub is pretty bad for the first Movie, and this is coming from someone who will gladly go to the bat for 4Kids' tenure against TPCi's notably worse IMO run here-- and who shares the majority opinion that 4Kids' original old dub was far superior to TPCi's modern dub, too.

It undoubtedly made the film worse: all dub scored soundtracks, the script is butchered, etc. The only redeeming part is the stellar VO/VA work, if you look at it without nostalgia for it.

Movie 22's dub is pretty bad in fairness, too, the VA work is worse in 2019 than in 1999 for one thing, but for another they couldn't decide whether to faithfully adapt the script this time around & decided to ape 4Kids in the 2nd half (also hahahaha look jelly donut reference hahahaha but with Brock sounding 60 years old now!) and the Japanese Version in the first half, so it appeals to no one but fans of TPCi's current dub.

I have the VHS, had the same reaction, but in hindsight it's the worst thing to come from the original run of the dub besides Chronicles.

For some reason I do not agree with that. I don't know why, but usually I don't pay attention to the quality of, or bother to take notice of these things. But I'm gonna watch it again with that in mind, thanks. ^~^
Most don't, the nostalgia blinds them to its severe flaws.

I will say this in its defense: the voice cast is far superior to the current one we got saddled with, TPCi's dub in general is a step down from 4Kids' dub in all ways by this point IMO (if the latter was mediocre to one, the current should be outright trash as its possesses all its flaws w/none of its strengths to me).

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom