• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Clian is a vastly more annoying version of brock
Unpopular.
Iris and Clian are the most pointless charchters of the entire show with unrealistic goals
Unpopular, I think everyone finds Misty, Tracey's, and Brock's goals to be a vague mess the most.

pokemon has gone down hill quickly since hoenn
Unpopular and popular, I'd say most people thought Sinnoh was the salt of the earth, while many think BW is the epitome of bad writing.
Dawn is pointless and boring
Unpopular

not sure if there that unpopular but i think they are :)
They're pretty much all unpopular to an extent.

I loved the DP rap opening too! In fact, it's my favourite dub opening.

While I'm on your side there, there's still an apparently decently-sized contingent of the fandom who either want Misty back or think she never should have left in the first place. So calling it an unpopular opinions is... odd.

Yeah, what's "unpopular" does vary from place to place. For instance, wishing for Misty to return in this Anime forum isn't really a popular idea for the majority of people here (either apathy or opposed to it), nor is liking her that much, from what I've seen unless I'm mistaken, but in other regions of the Pokemon fandom, it's a very cherished and loved idea. Kind of the same with disliking Iris and having her as least favourite companion- popular here, but the Best Wishes viewers on Tumblr adore her and her character, to the point where it's very rare to see any comment of dislike, just as an example.

Speaking of unpopular opinions of dub songs - I liked the rap ending from the Battle Frontier season.

I thought misty should have stayed.

Actually that's very popular opinion. On bulbagarden not so much with most not caring, although in 2005/2006 mindset in here was vastly different judging by archived threads. But on many other pokemon sites, youtube and many parts of pokemon online fandom there is sizable number of people who would like to have Misty back or thought she shouldn't have left in first place.

Admittedly im among them too because i liked Misty character and enjoyed in her engaging personality knowing how to lift up spirit and atmosphere . Imo she had richest persona among main girls with series losing that captivating humor and peculiar dynamic which she provided after departure.

She had interesting premise behind her water master career , touching backstory with many people relating to her rough childhood and i feel Misty was never fleshed out as much as she could've been as character leaving before her time was up. Probably one of reasons why i would like to see her back for season or two, if anything to tie up loose ends and bring some of that enjoyable chemistry she always provided.

Even though i know that will most likely stay just on wishful thinking.

Sometimes I think at least half my opinions are unpopular. Anyone who's read my posts knows them--Alder's a dumbass, Georgia and Burgundy are petty and annoying, Trip needs to lay off the Valium, and Ash...well, I could rant for days about him being repeatedly reset and condemned to being a perpetual also-ran.

Sometimes I think at least half my opinions are unpopular. Anyone who's read my posts knows them--Alder's a dumbass, Georgia and Burgundy are petty and annoying, Trip needs to lay off the Valium, and Ash...well, I could rant for days about him being repeatedly reset and condemned to being a perpetual also-ran.

I agree that Alder is annoying but most people who are hardcore players of Black and White have gotten used to him (game wise) but they usually hate him in the anime.

My pretty unpopular opinion is that I like new anime more than the 1st season. I do like it, but I don't understand the hype for it. Even more so, as I'm a part of a generation that have grown up with the 1st season. I'm not really typical fan of my gen I guess.

IKind of the same with disliking Iris and having her as least favourite companion- popular here, but the Best Wishes viewers on Tumblr adore her and her character, to the point where it's very rare to see any comment of dislike, just as an example.

Just curious, do you have a link to these tumblr sites? I imagine its from people who haven't followed the anime years.

IKind of the same with disliking Iris and having her as least favourite companion- popular here, but the Best Wishes viewers on Tumblr adore her and her character, to the point where it's very rare to see any comment of dislike, just as an example.

Just curious, do you have a link to these tumblr sites? I imagine its from people who haven't followed the anime years.

If they adore her, then they logically follow the anime.

best wishes 2 | Tumblr

This is the official Best Wishes Season 2 tag. I have live skype chats with half of the people who post on that tag whenever BW airs.

And The fandom as a whole really doesn't share the general view on BMGf.

I've read a few of the posts above and I'm quite shocked to see little talk about Hoenn. In my opinion, the writers were on a roll with Hoenn, BIG TIME. It had so much versatility it was unbelievable! As writing and such is the profession I look to go into, and being a BIG BIG Pokémon fan, I could watch the Advanced arc generation seasons and NEVER get bored! Sure, sometimes it followed the exact same formula as previous episodes, with Team Rocket stopping by taking up some of the episode time and blah, but, the stories became more original and fun to see how it panned out in the end! From May being absolutely horrible at Pokémon, and spending hardly any time on her Torchic, it really gave the show more of a platform, especially considering they brought Max' character into it. For me, Max' character gave the show what it was lacking, someone that looked up to Ash but also taught him a lot throughout their time together! Even the way Kanto & Johto Pokémon were brought into Hoenn without the question of the writers thinking people might get bored seeing older Pokémon, but it made it fun! I hope I'm not only speaking for myself when I give the Advanced gen a BIG PLUS. That being my favourite Region and section of Seasons, I am one of those fans that LONGS for R/S Remakes, not just for the thrill, but because they could take advantage of the Hoenn Region so badly!

Yeah, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find any seething hatred against Iris outside of Bulbagarden, believe it or not, that's why I think the dislike toward Iris here is more of an unpopular thing. On Serebii for example most people are neutral or fine with her or, as Yoshi-san and LikeitorNur said, they all really adore her on Tumblr. It shows how demographics vary from site to site I guess.

-An unpopular opinion I have about Misty is that I don't quite understand the dislike toward Misty, I'm more indifferent toward her than anything else. Her Psyduck was the shit and Politoed was cute :3

-(Though I don't know the general consensus on this) DP fillers were on par with most Johto fillers, which I found to be bland most of the time. Best Wishes has the BEST fillers of any Pokemon series. Litwick, Katharine and Gothita, Mighty Accelguard, Snivy VS. Cinccino, Emolga/Snivy, Oshawott losing his scalchop, Cilan and Chili's Brother Battle, are just a few off the top of my head.

-Buneary might as well have not been caught at times, given she hardly battled and only had the fashion competition to herself, though her Pikachu crush and LagoMorphShipping were cool. She stagnated her whole run.

-I don't have a seething hatred of Best Wishes.

I don't think that Buneary stagnating is an unpopular opinion really. I remember a ton of posts about how she needed to learn a new move or just evolve already, and that she needed to stop doing appeals. Nando's Lopunny really showed what the writers really could have done with it in terms of a moveset.

Personally despised it and wish it never existed. I think its only good moment was the Phione ep but even then it still revolved around the silly crush on Pikachu.

I actually didn't mind Buneary. She was pretty cute, even if she did have that barf-inducing vest.

I thought Johto was actually a neat saga. Sure, the fillers were usually mind-numbing, but Ash had an interesting team, I liked most of the plot-centric episodes, and that Radio Show filler was one of my favorite episodes of the series.

And The fandom as a whole really doesn't share the general view on BMGf.

I disagree. I've been on Serebii regularly since 2004 and the opinions there aren't THAT much different than they are here. Its always been obvious no matter what forum you're on that certain characters or Pokemon are popular, mainly because of good writing.

Also if you're speaking of places like deviantart/youtube/tumblr fansites, etc....many of those people haven't watched the show regularly since Johto and don't even know what the newer sagas are actually like. They base everything they know about the characters from youtube clips or whatever people say about them, without actually sitting down to watch episodes.

This is why on Bulbagarden/Serebii, there isn't much bias for nostalgia and the early seasons, but if you go to places like youtube/deviantart, all you see there is, "Kanto/Johto and original trio forever" type of people. I guess they've all but been driven out of the main pokemon forums and now hide out at nostalgic pokemon forums because those types of opinions wouldn't fly over here without debate.

I disagree. I've been on Serebii regularly since 2004 and the opinions there aren't THAT much different than they are here.
Honestly, the contrast is pretty obvious. ._. Sure the Trip disdain is present there as well, but most people on Serebii are perfectly fine with Iris. Many had quite a problem with Iris' Dragonite, but after a few episodes and it turning out Iris' Dragonite wasn't under-control like everyone thought coupled with the fact Dragonite hasn't won anything under Iris' ownership, the annoyance was quickly expunged. Everyone just wants her Axew to be used more right now. A similarity is that most people find Carmon to be a bit too idiotic, a contrast is most find Burgundy to be a poorly handled rival.

Also if you're speaking of places like deviantart/youtube/tumblr fansites, etc....many of those people haven't watched the show regularly since Johto and don't even know what the newer sagas are actually like. They base everything they know about the characters from youtube clips or whatever people say about them, without actually sitting down to watch episodes.
I can't speak for the other two sites, but you're wrong about Tumblr. Many of these people are just into the anime as much as you are, just because they don't post on a forum doesn't mean they don't watch the series, Scott. You should know that. XP Half of them post live during the episodes and post screen shots and post about the episodes after and during them and have skype chats. :p

This is why on Bulbagarden/Serebii, there isn't much bias for nostalgia and the early seasons, but if you go to places like youtube/deviantart, all you see there is, "Kanto/Johto and original trio forever" type of people. I guess they've all but been driven out of the main pokemon forums and now hide out at nostalgic pokemon forums because those types of opinions wouldn't fly over here without debate.
I had a feeling this involved Johto/Misty somehow.......that's another unpopular opinion I have. XP

-I NEVER SEE NOSTALGIC-CRAZED FANS. I'm always hearing people whine about how nostalgic fans run rampant but I have never come across such a fan ever. And Youtube, yeah. Well that's your problem right there, I've never tried to have a debate or serious conversation on Youtube about Pokemon. :p

-In Burgundy's debut episode, I actually like her a lot and I felt like that's where her evaluation made the most sense. She wanted Ash to have a Chlorophyll Sewaddle, which makes sense since Ash has a "sweeper" battling style and goes for speed mainly. So it makes sense for him to have a Sewaddle with that ability, not to mention she evaluated Pikachu and Ash perfectly. Shame the writers had to send her en route to crazy town a little too hard.

Last edited:
-I NEVER SEE NOSTALGIC-CRAZED FANS. I'm always hearing people whine about how nostalgic fans run rampant but I have never come across such a fan ever. And Youtube, yeah. Well that's your problem right there, I've never tried to have a debate or serious conversation on Youtube about Pokemon. :p

That's because you're not looking in the right places. There are still a ton of overly nostalgic pokemon fans out there who hate all the new characters that came in after Misty and Brock, and dislike all the newer seasons.

They're just not in the main pokemon forums anymore because those type of opinions wouldn't be tolerated here. So instead they create their own forums or are on deviantart and youtube groups. I would have never believed these people would still exist unless I just happened to randomly come across it. Mainly because it makes no sense to me, how could anyone still be sitting there complaining about a show they haven't watched in over 10 years? Makes no sense to me at all.

Drifting away from the main topic here. This is to discuss your unpopular opinions, not where you can locate certain sects of fans online.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom