• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I still wish sometimes that Musashi had captured (what is now) Satoshi's Tsutarja. They're both so sassy :3

What a coincidence. Today I watched Snivy's debut episode again and I thought the same thing. :p

Ash's Unfezant is the best bird Pokemon he ever caught, personality-wise. Swellow is his most powerful bird.

The original series characters are, by far, the worst overall handled of the entire anime due to the writers lack of experience at the time. And this includes Gary and Tracey.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "popular" thread or not, seems like it belongs there rather than here to be honest.

The original series characters are, by far, the worst overall handled of the entire anime due to the writers lack of experience at the time. And this includes Gary and Tracey.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "popular" thread or not, seems like it belongs there rather than here to be honest.

Well seeing as most people love the original trio due to nostalgia, and since I don't know anyone else who'd say that they were the worst handled group, I'd say that was an unpopular opinion. Personally I think the DP trio was kinda poorly developed with Brock basically doing nothing while Ash and Dawn hogged the spotlight.

Well seeing as most people love the original trio due to nostalgia, and since I don't know anyone else who'd say that they were the worst handled group, I'd say that was an unpopular opinion. Personally I think the DP trio was kinda poorly developed with Brock basically doing nothing while Ash and Dawn hogged the spotlight.

I don't mean as a group, I mean as individual characters. For Brock this includes his AG and DP run.

They were poorly handled, but I don't know if that's really surprising when the writers were just starting out and didn't have much experience. Personally, I think that Iris is handled far worse since they don't even have that reason for how poorly handled her character has been. Misty and Brock could have been handled better, but I'd prefer seeing them basically fade into the background over Iris doing the same thing and then being glorified as a gifted trainer for doing little to nothing to actually deserve the praise and accomplishments she gets.

Iris' rushed development is probably due to BW being a short series.

That's most likely the case, but that doesn't change how I think she's been handled worse than both Misty and Brock combined. While they could have been handled better and I never really cared much for Misty to begin with, at least they were tolerable or likable and they didn't treat them like they were such skilled trainers without doing much like they have done with Iris.

I would say its more other way around.
With Misty you could say writers never explored much on her goals thats true, but they did pretty good job at developing her in personality sense which got carried over onto her story. I feel she definitely changed the most as character right after May having believable and memorable growth while bringing lot of comedy, fun interaction and conflict in main cast ,helping Ash in growth by serving as motivator and someone who push him forward, often heped in resolution of plots and saving people lives or towns from destruction through heroic acts bringing indentity and appeal toward this show(more than other girls imo). In nutshell she grew from short tempered, frustrated girl into more mature, filled with confidence person who got out of sister shadow, started to take more initiative herself, discovered value of fruiendship appreciating Ash and Brock friendship to point of being to her "new family" and overcome some fears like Gyarados while remaining playful and spunky in more mature light. In that aspect i appreciated writers work puttong lot of thouight in conveying this in captivating and fun manner.

Compared to Iris, Cilan and most sidekicks and in some aspects even Dawn which never really changed much as person growing mostly in goal sense, i find Misty went through more believable growth containing more vulnerability and hard work when episodes focused on her growth and trials she had to overcome. And as result of that writers portrayed her change as person and trainer in better, conceivable manner.

In comparison issue i have with Iris is lack of believable growth staying more or less same for most part not going through any real struggles, being followed with very little growth as far as Emolga , Excadrill and especially Axew goes.
And Cilan remained stagnant not changing much at all.

As far as Brock goes while his role wasn't big and direct like we got used to(or better term would be spoiled), he still had pretty good treatment as supporting character providing humor and fun interactions, being of big importance for Ash growth as trainer teaching him basics, preparing strategies and preventing him from doing reckless mistakes being valuable asset to group through his wisdom role of older brother he played while getting some decent development himself.

We can see that in finding common language with dis functional family becoming more compassionate and full of understanding compared to early days.
During time he traveled with Ash he transformed from at times impulsive guy which had to take care of younger brother and sisters want in more level headed and wise person learning many new things about pokemon, enriching his knowledge as breeder by learning to prepare food, potions, settle down conflict between wild enraged pokemon and about new ways of healing and taking care of pokemon eventually coming to realization what he wants to do with his life, slowly starting to lean toward doctor calling deciding to become one.

He definitely got better treatment than Max, Tracey and even Cilan whwen taking in account whole run.

I don't mean as a group, I mean as individual characters. For Brock this includes his AG and DP run.

Thats more unpopular than popular. Worst handled characters in fandom judging by what i read in here and other sites were Tracey, Max, Iris(here mostly) and to my big surprise Dawn on pokeelite, pokecommunity and similar sites.

Last edited:
The writers obviously had no long term plans for Misty and Brock. This is because the show was planned to end with Kanto, so they originally had no reason to develop them much if they were just going to be there that short time. This is why after being surprised by the success of the show, both Orange Islands and later Johto were created, but nothing really changed at the time.

Its only likely because Tracey was even less important than they were, so it seemed like they were getting this great screentime but really weren't.

The writers obviously had no long term plans for Misty and Brock. This is because the show was planned to end with Kanto, so they originally had no reason to develop them much if they were just going to be there that short time. This is why after being surprised by the success of the show, both Orange Islands and later Johto were created, but nothing really changed at the time.

I beg to differ. It can be clearly noticed how writers expanded on Misty and Brock stories after it was decided to continue on with show past Kanto. We can see that through Orange Islands and Johto where they focused more on Misty own dreams such as water master goal, her passion for water types, backstory learning more about her preference for water types and sisters along with dedicating several episodes on her learning how to establish bond with pokemon like Psyduck, Marill, Poliwag, Wooper etc.
In addition to that they build up on established personality focusing more on her romantic and flaming side playing valuable love subplot in OI, had her meet idol Lorelei, catch new pokemon etc. On her dedication and passion toward battling being highly determine about becoming best water trainer entering various events(Whirl Cup, Seaking contest, Baloon race to name a few), battled various trainers learning new things such as Andreas, Sakura, Egan, Dorian etc, improved as trainer having several changes to her team gradually becoming more mature and independent breaking free from sister influence and earning their respect afterwards in chronicles.

Same applies to Brock enriching his knowledge about pokemon and ways of healing practicing his acquisition by taking care of Stantler, Golbat, Sudowoodo, learning how to deal with mischief pokemon like Wooper or Teddiursa etc. Exchanged knowledge with several breeders entering breeder convention with Suzie,enriched his pokemon roaster through new evolutions and captures along with writers focusing more on his flirty side and quest of finding true love through dr. Anna, Temaku, girl from ruins when Golbat evolved etc not staying just on gag.

Contemporary both Brock and Misty provided lot of humor, drama and flaunting dynamic on daily basis, still played role in Ash growth as trainer giving him great deal of inspiration and support through Johto and Orange along with often contributing to resolution of plots, helping fight villains whether its TR, ufo fighters, how to solve issue with legendary or enraged pokemon etc receiving more focus on themselves and story Compared to Kanto where most of their spotlight was in some way connected with teaching Ash basics and preventing him from rushing in trouble,

Granted there was room for improvement and things could've been handled better but writers definitely expanded on their stories and gave them some notable growth past Kanto (especially in Misty case).

Its only likely because Tracey was even less important than they were, so it seemed like they were getting this great screentime but really weren't.

I had no objections for amount of focus they received in Kanto, Orange Islands or second half of Johto (more specifically Master Quest) getting enough screen time and development for supporting characters.

I think the Unova saga is by far the worst

Also, I think Ash and the other characters NEED to be replaced. Instead of ruining existing charaters like they have done to ash (making him forget the last 10+ years of pokemon training experience)

I don't mind the "pity" badges if done right. (Such as the boulder Badge, Marsh badge, and Rainbow badges in kanto)

The reason Johto didn't stand out is because its the only saga not to introduce a new main character. Other than Brock returning, there was no new lead.

Even in terms of rivals, the only new character was Casey who barely appeared and was just a minor character anyway. Johto really tried too hard to be a Kanto rehash with Johto pokemon

Thought of another one:

I liked Tobias vs. Ash.

Why? Because I usually like it when Legendaries appear in the show than in the Cash Grab Fanfics Movies. I especially liked seeing Latios in action after the underwhelming movie almost 10 years prior.

Thought of another one:

I liked Tobias vs. Ash.

Why? Because I usually like it when Legendaries appear in the show than in the Cash Grab Fanfics Movies. I especially liked seeing Latios in action after the underwhelming movie almost 10 years prior.

Yay, I'm not the only one. :]

The reason Johto didn't stand out is because its the only saga not to introduce a new main character. Other than Brock returning, there was no new lead.

Even in terms of rivals, the only new character was Casey who barely appeared and was just a minor character anyway. Johto really tried too hard to be a Kanto rehash with Johto pokemon

To be fair, the games relied on Kanto as well, so I think that was an issue for the second generation in general. I still think that Johto had some really solid improvements over Kanto, such as Ash's Johto Pokemon having more personality than most of his Kanto Pokemon and much better Gym battles than the other two journeys had. It definitely could have been better, but Johto had some solid points in its favor in my opinion.

I think the worst kinds of developments in this show aren't the ones that are rushed, but ones that are painfully drawn out when there's just no substance to them. The Aipom/Buizel trade and all the events leading up to it is the worst offender in my book. Did we mention that Aipom loves contests and Buizel loves battling today? No? Well guess what, Aipom loves battling and Buizel loves contests! Gee, I sure wish there was something we could do about that.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom