• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

And how long was that? 2014? Back when no realizes just how OP Mega Charizard X really is? Back when no one really thought an Elite Four could be defeated? Back when Mega Charizard X wasn't strong enough?

Ash-Greninja suffered defeats before. Quite notable ones. This Charizard hasn't lost for over 10 Mega Evolved Battles (including an Elite Four's Pokémon). It needs a reminder that it's not invincible.

Really, I'm starting to wonder why you try to defend Alain so hard. To the point of making up hypocritical points against Ash.
Ash is not an Arceus trainer. He doesn't need to defeat Alain if the writers choose to do this. Alain is a decent trainer. And Tobias was far more OP than Alain. Darkrai and Latios as legendary/mythical is not an excuse.

Ash is not an Arceus trainer. He doesn't need to defeat Alain if the writers choose to do this. Alain is a decent trainer. And Tobias was far more OP than Alain. Darkrai and Latios as legendary/mythical is not an excuse.

Why bring up Tobias when he is not relevent to the XY&Z series? If you're going to have an unpopular opinion, you better give a more detailed reason as to why. Take my debate with Pokefan19 in regards to Alain for example. We can get into a long-winded argument with one another over Alain, but we respect each other's point and concede when we can. I can understand where he is coming from even if I don't agree with his points.

Why bring up Tobias when he is not relevent to the XY&Z series? If you're going to have an unpopular opinion, you better give a more detailed reason as to why. Take my debate with Pokefan19 in regards to Alain for example. We can get into a long-winded argument with one another over Alain, but we respect each other's point and concede when we can. I can understand where he is coming from even if I don't agree with his points.
Point was Tobias wiped half of Ash's team out with one pokemon and then the other half with another. Alain didn't do that. He and Ash got brought down to one pokemon each. So he is far from OP in my opinion.

Point was Tobias wiped half of Ash's team out with one pokemon and then the other half with another. Alain didn't do that. He and Ash got brought down to one pokemon each. So he is far from OP in my opinion.

Considering I don't see Tobias in XY&Z, he is irrelevant and a straw-man example at best. Everyone is talking about in Alain in the context of this series alone.

Anyways, my unpopular opinion is that the rigged theory does have a possibility of happening. I've seen the arguments about the mysterious Orange Shuriken and how relatively unharmed Charizard looks despite taking a lot of damage, and while it doesn't mean they are evidences that the battle was rigged, if new information opens light on this and points towards the direction of Team Flare rigging the match, then these are our "obvious" clues that the fans were asking for the whole time.

Considering I don't see Tobias in XY&Z, he is irrelevant and a straw-man example at best. Everyone is talking about in Alain in the context of this series alone.

Anyways, my unpopular opinion is that the rigged theory does have a possibility of happening. I've seen the arguments about the mysterious Orange Shuriken and how relatively unharmed Charizard looks despite taking a lot of damage, and while it doesn't mean they are evidences that the battle was rigged, if new information opens light on this and points towards the direction of Team Flare rigging the match, then these are our "obvious" clues that the fans were asking for the whole time.
I personally don't believe there was rigging. Water Shuriken might not be as powerful as we thought or Blast Burn some how weaken it during the final attack.

If I have to be honest, in this topic, its annoying and rude when someone is very dismissive of other's opinions and arguments when someone tries to argue against an unpopular opinion. Not only that, but not offering legitimate or relevant evidence just makes this that much more frustrating. I am sorry, but I had to open my mouth.

Despite how unpopular this is and how people say its "desperate", I don't see why it couldn't happen. Malva was suspicious and there's been theories of Mega Charizard X's power being boosted by the excess Mega Evolution energy Alain has been gathering.

Last edited:
If I have to be honest, in this topic, its annoying and rude when someone is very dismissive of other's opinions and arguments when someone tries to argue against an unpopular opinion. Not only that, but not offering legitimate or relevant evidence just makes this that much more frustrating. I am sorry, but I had to open my mouth.
It is actually rude and annoying to accuse someone of being rude and annoying. I am not dismissing other opinions but I have the right to think what I want.

Okay first off, don't try to indirectly insult people here. That applies to everyone. If you have a problem with the tone of someone's post, report them. Do not confront them either directly or indirectly about it. All that's going to do is create unnecessary tension and throw the thread off track. And if all else fails, there's an ignore button. If you can't handle a discussion or disagreement without trying to "subtly' insult each other, then it's best to just press the ignore button instead. If this happens again, infractions will be handled out. This in my only in thread warning on the matter.

Now with that said:

Greninja doesn't need to. Charizard already had one against Blastoise.

Yeah, that's a pretty weak defense. That was back in the first Mega Evolution Special. It was early on in XY's run, Mega Charizard X wasn't nearly as overpowered as it is now and most importantly, one defeat over two years ago doesn't mean that a Pokemon doesn't have to lose ever again, especially when that one defeat was against an Elite 4 member when we thought that Elite 4 members were pretty much unbeatable aside from when they're challenging the Champion.

So because Tobias wiped out Ash's team with just two Legendary Pokemon, that makes him way more overpowered than Alain? That's also a pretty weak attempt at overlooking the problems with Alain, especially when no one is trying to compare the two broken trainers anyway. Just because Alain and Ash were down to their last Pokemon each in their full battle doesn't mean that Alain isn't overpowered. That's just ignoring everything Alain has been doing in the past year or so completely. A trainer who can defeat ten Mega Pokemon in a row with the same Pokemon and go head to head with a Legendary Pokemon's second strongest form is overpowered. I don't think that there's a way to describe Alain as anything else. It's way more fitting than calling him decent when he's well past that point.

That would be an interesting twist. I'm not sure if I'd want that to happen since that could make fans more upset over the outcome of the finals if Ash was going to win in the end. Although, that could be a less rage inducing reason for me than Mega Charizard X favoritism because we need to plug Mega Charizard X some more due it's part Dragon like everyone always wanted and the sixth generation is almost over. Depending on the execution, it could still work. I'm just worried a bit about the fan backlash if it was revealed Ash would have won with that final attack without Team Flare's interference.

Yeah, that's a pretty weak defense. That was back in the first Mega Evolution Special. It was early on in XY's run, Mega Charizard X wasn't nearly as overpowered as it is now and most importantly, one defeat over two years ago doesn't mean that a Pokemon doesn't have to lose ever again, especially when that one defeat was against an Elite 4 member when we thought that Elite 4 members were pretty much unbeatable aside from when they're challenging the Champion.

So because Tobias wiped out Ash's team with just two Legendary Pokemon, that makes him way more overpowered than Alain? That's also a pretty weak attempt at overlooking the problems with Alain, especially when no one is trying to compare the two broken trainers anyway. Just because Alain and Ash were down to their last Pokemon each in their full battle doesn't mean that Alain isn't overpowered. That's just ignoring everything Alain has been doing in the past year or so completely. A trainer who can defeat ten Mega Pokemon in a row with the same Pokemon and go head to head with a Legendary Pokemon's second strongest form is overpowered. I don't think that there's a way to describe Alain as anything else. It's way more fitting than calling him decent when he's well past that point.
A lost is still a lost. Charizard lost to Blastoise so it is far from being OP. Doesn't matter how long it has been. I don't see Alain being OP if he and Ash were both reduced to one pokemon. His Charizard took several hits before finally defeating Greninja. That is far from being OP in my opinion. If he was OP then he would wipe out Ash's entire team with one move for each of them with Mega Charizard X without a scratch on it.

You can have a loss and still be considered OP, Tobias' Darkrai lost once onscreen, but I don't think anyone would argue it wasn't blatantly overpowered.

What makes a Pokémon OP is what it's feats are as even with a loss, if you have a slew of strong accomplishments, that will greatly overshadow it. Mega Charizard X is one such example as it went toe-to-toe with a legendary, beat 10 Megas straight, beat an Elite Four, and beat down the Gym Leaders and most league participants, including Ash. That is a slew of strong feats, and losing once to an Elite Four member doesn't change that.

A lost is still a lost. Charizard lost to Blastoise so it is far from being OP. Doesn't matter how long it has been. I don't see Alain being OP if he and Ash were both reduced to one pokemon. His Charizard took several hits before finally defeating Greninja. That is far from being OP in my opinion. If he was OP then he would wipe out Ash's entire team with one move for each of them with Mega Charizard X without a scratch on it.

Saying that a loss from one Pokemon two years ago doesn't make Mega Charizard X is absolutely ridiculous. This is still blatantly ignoring so much of what Alain has accomplished with Mega Charizard X recently. And you're still way too focused on this battle if you think Ash and Alain getting down to one Pokemon each suddenly means that Alain isn't overpowered. Overpowered doesn't mean a Pokemon that never loses. Like Zweilous mentioned, we actually saw Ash defeat Darkrai on screen, but everyone, yourself included, considered Tobias to be incredibly overpowered in spite of that. And Tobias was also a trainer who relied on one Pokemon to win all of his Gym battles and the majority of his League battle. The main differences between him and Alain are that we don't know how long it took Tobias to get his eight Gym badges compared to Alain, who had to brush through eight Gyms in a relatively quick manner.

Mega Charizard X has a huge amount of accomplishments and one loss from one Elite 4 member doesn't suddenly make it okay that I could defeat ten Mega Pokemon in a row or go head to head with a Legendary Pokemon. When a Pokemon has a huge amount of accomplishments against strong opponents with little to no defeats under its belt as well, that's when it becomes overpowered and that's why Mega Charizard X winning all the time is a problem, much more so than Ash-Greninja winning a handful of times.

Saying that a loss from one Pokemon two years ago doesn't make Mega Charizard X is absolutely ridiculous. This is still blatantly ignoring so much of what Alain has accomplished with Mega Charizard X recently. And you're still way too focused on this battle if you think Ash and Alain getting down to one Pokemon each suddenly means that Alain isn't overpowered. Overpowered doesn't mean a Pokemon that never loses. Like Zweilous mentioned, we actually saw Ash defeat Darkrai on screen, but everyone, yourself included, considered Tobias to be incredibly overpowered in spite of that. And Tobias was also a trainer who relied on one Pokemon to win all of his Gym battles and the majority of his League battle. The main differences between him and Alain are that we don't know how long it took Tobias to get his eight Gym badges compared to Alain, who had to brush through eight Gyms in a relatively quick manner.

Mega Charizard X has a huge amount of accomplishments and one loss from one Elite 4 member doesn't suddenly make it okay that I could defeat ten Mega Pokemon in a row or go head to head with a Legendary Pokemon. When a Pokemon has a huge amount of accomplishments against strong opponents with little to no defeats under its belt as well, that's when it becomes overpowered and that's why Mega Charizard X winning all the time is a problem, much more so than Ash-Greninja winning a handful of times.
Ash doesn't need to beat Alain. He had his chance and he missed it. Alain is not OP for me and Ash doesn't have to have one win against him to prove that. Greninja needed to be defeated to establish it is not Arceus and the episode proved it.

Ash doesn't need to beat Alain. He had his chance and he missed it. Alain is not OP for me and Ash doesn't have to have one win against him to prove that. Greninja needed to be defeated to establish it is not Arceus and the episode proved it.

Since when has the show ever claimed that Ash-Greninja is anything like Arceus? Aside from nearly defeating the Champion's best Pokemon, which I'll full admit was going too far on their part, they haven't made Ash-Greninja look that overpowered. We still need to see Mega Charizard X lose and right now, I'm eagerly looking forward to finally see it lose again. If any Pokemon is close to Arceus Pokemon, it is most certainly Mega Charizard X with its mountain of achievements against its only one defeat two years ago. Ash-Greninja even in its perfected form is not on the level of a Legendary Pokemon. Mega Charizard X is on the other hand and I mean that literally when it can go head to head to Zygarde's second strongest form.

You're acting as if Ash's only chance to defeat Alain was in the Kalos League, which ignores that they could battle during or more likely after the Team Flare storyline is resolved. He can easily have a one-on-one rematch with Alain and win. He doesn't absolutely have to beat Alain, but it wouldn't feel right to end the series without Ash-Greninja getting a chance to finally defeat Mega Charizard X. I'd be willing to call that bad writing, if not at least incredibly anticlimactic, if we don't see Ash defeat Alain at least in a one-on-on match at this point.

Well my opinion stands anyway. If there is a rematch and Ash wins then that is alright but I wouldn't count on it.

I really liked Kanto. It was interesting to see how Ash was earning pity badges. My favorite part was when Ash asked Blaine if he can give him the badge just for saving the gym....
idk why others don't like it :3

- Ash needs to move on to Pikachu. Should use Muk more.
- Jesse needs a haircut.
- Ash should travel with one of Misty's sisters.
- Gary Oak not becoming one of the best trainers ever is a travesty. I expecting a doco. He wasn't in his prime.

-Piplup was one of the best parts of DP. He's arguably one of it not the most developed and multilayered Pokemon in the series.
-Johto was more consistent than Kanto and was the start of the writers trying to move the show in a better direction.
-Misty was a decent at best travel companion.
-Brock never got stale and should have stayed in the series.
-Most of the CG animated attacks never felt jarring to me.

I actually really like the Ash-Greninja storyline. I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I do recall that Greninja taking too much attention from Ash's other Pokemon was a pretty frequent complaint around the eighth Gym. While I can understand that complaint, I think the storyline generally works. They could have focused more on their relationship prior to Greninja getting its own transformation a bit more than they did, but I think it works because there were similarities between them even before Olympia's prediction or Ash-Greninja like how Froakie and Frogadier put themselves in danger to protect Pikachu. That's how it evolved each time too, so a connection was there, just not as focused on as it could have and should have been. But I really like Ash's struggle to perfect it, especially during the eighth Gym, the way he and Greninja were able to perfect it, how Ash was able to understand his problem with his defeat by talking about why he loves Pokemon and Greninja offering its Pokeball back to Ash was a genuinely sweet moment that was a cute tie-in to how Froakie decided to be with Ash in the first place.

It's not perfect, but it's honestly some pretty good stuff from a story and character perspective for Ash. Depending on how the rest of the storyline turns out for the remainder of XY, it might even become one of the highlights of the series for me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom