• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Another unpopular opinion of the anime: Charizard's disobedience costs Ash the league match was just bad for me. It is one thing to lose by having all your pokemon knocked out but it is another when your pokemon decides to cost you a match. Not cool in my opinion.

I agree that was a humiliating defeat for Ash, but I feel it's one that he brought it upon himself. After all, he was warned several times about Charizard's attitude problem and he never really brings him on to the League till bad fortunes put him in a situation where he has to call out the disobedient dragon to the field.

It's a hard thing to watch and stomach but in the end, it does open a story arc where Ash has to regain his Charizard's obedience and respect in the Orange Islands, which in my opinion makes up for the loss at the Indigo League.

I don't think that Ash could have gone through all of the Gyms in Kalos with Ash-Greninja. It's strong, but not that strong. Not to mention Ash didn't even get Greninja until after he got seven badges anyway, so the comparison doesn't quite make sense to me. I agree that Noivern was ultimately pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. He could have gone through Kalos with just four Pokemon and nothing would have changed drastically.
If he only used it then it would have gained more experience and be strong enough to overcome these difficulties.

They were also still figuring out how battles worked by that point in the original series since Squirtle falling asleep through Sleep Powder suddenly means it's unable to battle. It was kind of disappointing turn for the battle, although I think it didn't help that they made a big deal about Ash battling Richie only for the match to be in the last five minutes with most of his Pokemon being exhausted from dealing with Team Rocket on top of it, but it was a fitting way for Ash to lose the Indigo League. He never really tried to deal with Charizard's disobedience. He would use it with the hope that it would listen to him. but he didn't really do anything to fix the problem in a more proactive way. Granted, Charizard would often just sleep whenever it was called out, but Ash still wasn't as proactive with getting Charizard to listen to him as he probably could have, even being the rookie trainer he was at the time.

I do kind of liked how Professor Oak said that Ash could have gone much further if he had done more training and trained his Charizard properly. It wasn't just a matter of losing to a stronger trainer this time, but rather Ash's own problems as a trainer that cost him the match. If Charizard didn't lose interest in battling against Richie's Pikachu, Ash most likely would have won. I think that was a fitting way for Ash to lose his first Pokemon League, especially when most of the Pokemon that he relied on through the earlier matches were his reserves rather than his main team members.

Not entirely sure if this is unpopular... but I'll say it anyway.

I really don't like the Ash-Greninja concept. Ash is always meant to be portrayed as the underdog, and while everyone was pleased with Ash finally getting a fully evolved team, Ash-Greninja topping that cake was less then desired. It gave him a Pokemon who could very much be at the cusp of it all the strongest Pokemon Ash may ever have throughout history, which topples any form of status quo of Ash's Pokemon up to this point. Usually you have debates about Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, and Infernape as Ash cream of the crop, but you couldn't deny they were all in the ends nearly equals. I don't think there's any wrong answer, but now you can't even debate it, Greninja when transformed is easily Ash's best, regardless of what I feel about the battle, it literally had Diantha and Mega Gardevoir hanging by a thread. None of Ash's Pokemon have come close to taking on the E4 let alone a champion.

And the thing about this forme is it isn't a Mega Evolution, so it doesn't promote anything but Greninja and an idea that may not even happen within the realms of the game itself and on top of that it also mocked the relationship Ash and Pikachu had. I get that the whole "Pikachu should have gotten the form" is a tired debate against Ash Greninja and I don't deny that Greninja got it because the 6th generation needs to be first and foremost, but to make this transformation involve having a close bond... no way Greninja is closer to Ash then Pikachu. What's worst is that this also gets undermined because Greninja has no purpose going with Ash to Alola, yet it can't just get dropped because of the seriousness of this condition. This isn't Infernape and Blaze levels, this is Greninja is literally a second Pikachu type situation...

I feel as though a lot of my opinions of the Pokemon anime more often than not oppose the viewpoints of a number of the fans here on the board.

• I feel as though they should get rid of Jessie, James and Meowth and have Ash feud with Giovanni instead.
  • I feel that Gary Oak is overrated and isn't as perfect as fans make him out to be.
  • I feel Ash should go back and rechallenge Kanto (especially the pity badges)
  • I feel Ash gets way too much flak from fans.

@owenpeterson I don't think you'll find too many people who still watch the anime who will defend the Gary was handled i.e. him having multiple appearances where he acts smug and doesn't use any pokemon, not battling Ash until after the Orange islands, and his starter being a mystery for such a ludicrous time.

I think Pokemon battling as sport should the focus of the show and the fact that having around two full battles per an arc is the norm shows it isn't enough for at least my liking. I think they should rush through the badge quest and evil as quickly as possible because I think it's better if they had too much time as opposed to not enough. They can fill that time with a much longer tournament, filler arcs and spending time in pallet town.

Last edited:
@owenpeterson

I think Pokemon battling as sport should the focus of the show and the fact that having around two full battles per an arc is the norm shows it isn't enough for at least my liking. I think they should rush through the badge quest and evil as quickly as possible because I think it's better if they had too much time as opposed to not enough. They can fill that time with a much longer tournament, filler arcs and spending time in pallet town.
Totally agree with you, they can end game promotions in 2 years and then have a arc like battle frontier or orange islands or maybe something new.

Totally agree with you, they can end game promotions in 2 years and then have a arc like battle frontier or orange islands or maybe something new.

I really wouldn't like that. Rushing through the actual region that they're promoting would feel very unsatisfying. That was one of my problems with the pacing in BW. The Unova region is so cool, but they rushed through it way too fast. I'd rather that they take their time to explore a new region rather than getting it over with as soon as possible. Plus, I really don't want something like the Battle Frontier arc again. It had its good moments, but it honestly brought down AG for me more than I thought it would upon a rewatch. The Orange Islands arc was okay for what it was, but it was clearly just to give them time before the second generation started and I don't think that they'll really need that with how they've kept each series focused on primarily one region since DP.

I really wouldn't like that. Rushing through the actual region that they're promoting would feel very unsatisfying. That was one of my problems with the pacing in BW. The Unova region is so cool, but they rushed through it way too fast. I'd rather that they take their time to explore a new region rather than getting it over with as soon as possible. Plus, I really don't want something like the Battle Frontier arc again. It had its good moments, but it honestly brought down AG for me more than I thought it would upon a rewatch. The Orange Islands arc was okay for what it was, but it was clearly just to give them time before the second generation started and I don't think that they'll really need that with how they've kept each series focused on primarily one region since DP.
Rushing through Unova would have made sense (considering it was pretty quick to make it through the region, then 6th gen happened...) if they were building up some nice little battle story before the next generation was ready... instead we got the ever pointless Decolora islands with all it's worthless fanfare such as Ash's Charizard, hinting at Ash's Butterfree, and Clair's return.... Ugh, I feel bad for 5th gen.

I haven't posted in here for a very long time, but since there will always be less supported opinions circulating among people in pokemon fandom depending on site you joined or simply trends going through change. With something popular in past not necessarily having to hold same ground nowadays(same goes for unpopular becoming more accepted).
Makes me believe how threads like this never get old for discussion, so if its ok i decided to revive it.

To to add some more of mine opinions which I don't think are popular at all when speaking of majority:
1.) Iris:
I didn't think Iris was terrible character. She had flaws, some plots in her story suffered from poor planning and execution. And admittedly catchphrase "Your such a kid" did started to be annoying after awhile. Feeling like insult to injury after Ash regression.

However whole backstory of growing in dragon village and wanting to connect with this specie through natural, non artificial ways. Her passion for ecosystem being spiritual type of person and kinda wild in her actions and personality was fresh and nice twist to story.
Her rivalry with Georgia was fairly enticing too with whole clash of personal interests and desires erupting there heating up atmosphere. And start was great but everything flopped in the end with flaws Iris had as trainer Georgia pointed out going nowhere, just like whole adversary itself.

That said I think Iris was decent character who was simply screwed over by haphazard decisions and lazy writing.

2.) Togepi:
I don't think Togepi destroyed Misty personality "turning her in stale ruin of her former self".

I view baby pokemon as step in helping to flesh out Misty personality in better, more diverse way.
Noticed especially in her becoming more oriented toward teasing them and coming up with various pranks. Expressing her anger and annoyance over people stupidity rather through grudge and frown look, becoming less aggressive toward them. Becoming more caring , open minded and supportive of her friends as showed in helping Brock over love problems or being sick, looking after Ash as older sister reminding him of important errands or his gym matches, expressing lot of concern when he got sick or comforting him after big loss or pokemon release.

Having nice competitive rivalry in liking to brag on her skills, underestimate Ash and challenge his ero respecting each other as opponents when battling or competing in something else like racing for example.

All wrapped with lot of passion toward battling and water pokemon, curious nature getting on other people nerves like breeder Zane or professor in research of water fossil institute, hotheaded side not letting others to mess up with her like Egan, Butch and Cassidy, Jessie with there still showing to exist rivalry between them, Andreas and many others.

Togepi helped Misty to become more supportive, responsible and at end of the day mature. Now did that caused Misty losing everything which defined her?

Or it only helped to enrich on already existing personality traits with some new ones providing bigger texture and complexity to character(development?

Well for me it was the second one.

3.) Kanto badges: I don't look at way Ash received badges in Kanto as pity and undeserved. He didn't acquired Boulder, Cascade, Marsh and Rainbow badge in conventional way. True.

But Ash still proved to each of this gym leaders through his unselfish acts, care and respect he demonstrated in way he treated his pokemon and fiery spirit. Whether that was in saving Erika Gloom or Cerulean gym from TR, helping Sabrina in starting to break out of her twisted reality she created, through good sportsman ship not wanting to win over Onix in unfair way how he has good heart, persistence and courage to be good pokemon trainer material. Thus recognizing in him spark and desirable qualities to be worthy of entering pokemon league.

4.) Gary:
I think Gary is just as skilled and strong as Paul is in training and battling with pokemon. During his trainer days he rotated pokemon frequently to give as many as he can enough experience and chance to reach their full potential. He was highly strategic and diverse in his moves being capable of predicting opponent maneuvers and his pokemon were very resilient and powerful.

Only difference is that Gary has retired largely from active trainer life to direct his focus and energy on new career in exploring and doing research of pokemon as scientist. However way he confronted HUnter J and managed to defeat same Pikachu who shortly before that defeated legendary Regiice from Pyramid king Brandon showed how his training techniques and knowledge haven't faltered at all. Still giving his pokemon whenever he can required experience and training to be reckoned force.

5.) Original trio: I think reuniting Ash, Misty and Brock together for one more journey(actually for last series) would be healthy and interesting idea for pokemon show.

Not only to tie up loos ends and give them some more development but also because it would make sense to me to have most iconic and recognized group being sent on one more ride, being nice way of wrapping things up with cast which started anime. To better emphasize on intention of anime returning back to its roots/origins.

Its something many shows out there do either when coming to an end or for big milestones like anniversaries(which is different story, but it serves as proof how much whole theme of returning to roots can be successful).

I know for fact how large group of people would like to see those three gathered again to follow from first hand update and sequel to their story and revive that flamboyant, quirky and full of interchangeable spats close amount of care and bonding Ash, Brock and Misty shared between themselves.

This could also prove to be good business move with purpose of going beyond current target audience trying to attract more of older fans toward this show which would in end bring more viewers increasing TV ratings with final product out of it being more money.
Many older fans which don't watch this show anymore and veterans could be willing to return back to pokemon in case original cast with who thy grew up gets reunited to renew their interest for show being nice little throwback to past and reminder to their childhood memories. While serving as reward to all other fans which stayed loyal to pokemon series to very end. As well giving to target audience opportunity to get know trio with who everything began, better understand anime history and its origins since two first companions come from region from which main hero Ash originated.

Making imo things complete that way in everything coming full circle.

Something that's occurred me to me after idly watching some old episodes, which I'm reasonably sure will be unpopular - Ash was always at his best when he was a bit of a dumbass. There was a nice balance to his character that doesn't really become apparent till it's gone. His greatest strength as a trainer was his consistent attention to (Or at the very least concern for) the individual needs and desires of his pokémon. It's ironic when, I think it's in Stage Fright, Misty claims that Ash is just parroting what Brock used to tell him: maybe he is, but he's been showing awareness that pokémon are, in their own way, people since as far back as Bye Bye Butterfree. It's a nice message to have in a show about fighting, that it's not just about you winning, that sometimes friendship means that what someone else wants should matter more.

Coupled with his tendency to believe that mere enthusiasm rather than hard work should be enough to win, Ash is neither a complete and utter moron nor blandly nice and successful (I find he's rather the latter in the XY episodes I've seen). It left some real room for growth, albeit in the staccato way the anime always had - not growth as in merely winning more, but growth as in learning to be a better trainer.

Much as I came to get sick of Charizard's reappearances, that story nicely illustrates this. Ash's laziness and blind optimism cause him to lose a critical battle; his attentiveness and dedication wins him the obedience; and finally his willingness to give up Charizard for the sake of his ambition ends up giving him a more powerful pokémon than he could have ever trained by himself.

Something that's occurred me to me after idly watching some old episodes, which I'm reasonably sure will be unpopular - Ash was always at his best when he was a bit of a dumbass. There was a nice balance to his character that doesn't really become apparent till it's gone. His greatest strength as a trainer was his consistent attention to (Or at the very least concern for) the individual needs and desires of his pokémon.

It's funny, back in series 1 I remember thinking Ash was a brat. He was impulsive and reckless and rude, and honestly didn't come off as too intelligent, but his saving grace was that he truly cared about Pokemon and had a great bond with his 'mons, perhaps more than anyone else in the show.

Watching XYZ, I miss the old Ash. Yes, he was a brat, but he had personality - he wasn't just a blandly smiling placeholder character for the 10 year old boys in the audience.

One of the reasons I find 'amourshipping' a bit silly is that Serena is one of the best developed, genuinely lovely characters we've ever had on the Pokemon series, but by the time she arrives, the guy the fans pair her with has practically no personality whatsoever anymore. I feel like all the good writing went into Serenas, and the writers didn't care that much about Ash anymore. The episode after he loses to Wulfric really jumped out at me, when he storms off into the forest. Serena complains that his behaviour is OOC - and yes, it is! It's completely OOC for her bland cheerful Ash, although ironically it's totally in character for the original Ash, who had a similar sulky tantrum after he lost in the Indigo league...

It's funny, back in series 1 I remember thinking Ash was a brat. He was impulsive and reckless and rude, and honestly didn't come off as too intelligent, but his saving grace was that he truly cared about Pokemon and had a great bond with his 'mons, perhaps more than anyone else in the show.

Watching XYZ, I miss the old Ash. Yes, he was a brat, but he had personality - he wasn't just a blandly smiling placeholder character for the 10 year old boys in the audience.

Well, indeed, for a long time - till DP, really, Ash was a brat. Although more unthinkingly rude, compared to Misty who always knows precisely what she's saying when she decides to be mean. Since DP I think the writers have been trying to keep all the energy that comes from the impulsiveness and recklessness, while also trying not to have the consequences that come from being impulsive and reckless. In my opinion it's an effort that's failed. At worst all it produces is an endless fountain of trite catchphrases (DP was the worst for this :"Yeah! I'm gonna give it all I've got", things of that kidney). In XY, during the Grant battle, it produced smugness as well as triteness.

This all highlights how unsustainable - from a storytelling point of view - the anime is. You can't have it both ways, for Ash to be young and brash, full of vim and vinegar, but at the same time thoughtful, polite and grounded. Pokémon having exploded into this huge franchise the way it did, the meowth's out of the bag and there's not really any going back. This is why I don't expect the anime to be anything other than a mild distraction for twenty minutes. If I want a great story I'll watch another anime.

Well, the fact that Ash has lost the Pokémon League about...let's see, one per generation...SIX times (not counting the Orange Islands) is what got me bored of the anime.

HOWEVER...with Sun and Moon's English dubbing coming to Disney XD, I've decided I'll get back into it, even though the art is different. But I'm a Disney fan, so win-win.

Yes - The first series was completely overhyped and still is to this day and I blame nostalgia and a warped mindset from nostalgia. The first series isn't bad by any means, but its just not as good as regions 6/and dare I say 7 right now. Satoshi (Ash) was much more melodramatic early on and most of the characters grew more tired and repetitive as time went on. Misty was fine, but I notice is a weaker character compared to tsunderes in other anime. For people that didn't realize: Yes she is tsundere. Brock was fine, but since myanimelist counts Kanto/Johto as one completion and series, he grew more boring as time went on. He was unbearable by Diamond and Pearl.

I never want Brock back because there is no need. Pokemon has developed to where more tropes in anime being used: Example: Moe (Eureka/Bonnie) and his comedy is no longer needed to make it a good show since Brock made Kanto alone funny at times, but putting him back in just adds nothing fresh. It will be recycled jokes and won't be as good as his humor from the first season. Pokemon has been getting more positive attention lately, and we should keep it that way!

They were also still figuring out how battles worked by that point in the original series since Squirtle falling asleep through Sleep Powder suddenly means it's unable to battle. It was kind of disappointing turn for the battle, although I think it didn't help that they made a big deal about Ash battling Richie only for the match to be in the last five minutes with most of his Pokemon being exhausted from dealing with Team Rocket on top of it, but it was a fitting way for Ash to lose the Indigo League. He never really tried to deal with Charizard's disobedience. He would use it with the hope that it would listen to him. but he didn't really do anything to fix the problem in a more proactive way. Granted, Charizard would often just sleep whenever it was called out, but Ash still wasn't as proactive with getting Charizard to listen to him as he probably could have, even being the rookie trainer he was at the time.

I do kind of liked how Professor Oak said that Ash could have gone much further if he had done more training and trained his Charizard properly. It wasn't just a matter of losing to a stronger trainer this time, but rather Ash's own problems as a trainer that cost him the match. If Charizard didn't lose interest in battling against Richie's Pikachu, Ash most likely would have won. I think that was a fitting way for Ash to lose his first Pokemon League, especially when most of the Pokemon that he relied on through the earlier matches were his reserves rather than his main team members.

Also to add, everybody else didn't have teammates from the sidelines telling them what to do. It's amazing Ash had gotten that far in the league...

One of the reasons I find 'amourshipping' a bit silly is that Serena is one of the best developed, genuinely lovely characters we've ever had on the Pokemon series, but by the time she arrives, the guy the fans pair her with has practically no personality whatsoever anymore. I feel like all the good writing went into Serenas, and the writers didn't care that much about Ash anymore. The episode after he loses to Wulfric really jumped out at me, when he storms off into the forest. Serena complains that his behaviour is OOC - and yes, it is! It's completely OOC for her bland cheerful Ash, although ironically it's totally in character for the original Ash, who had a similar sulky tantrum after he lost in the Indigo league...

Im not sure why you act like Ash hasnt grown at all since the OS days and at this point it wouldnt be ooc for Ash's character for like every other series past that and not just XY Ash?? From AG to DP to especially BW, sulking and broooding and feeling sorry for himself ISNT what Ash is about, and the show acknowledged that, he isnt Sasuke, he's cheerful, optimisitc and is always looking for a solution rather then dwelling on the problem so that wake up call was more then in line with the character.

Speaking of, I dunno if this is really unpopular or not but I think XY Ash gets a bit to much crap for being "bland battle robot" and other similar complains I saw towards DP Ash before XY started up. I know im probably exaggerating the dislike of him since like you go on any XY video on youtube and youll probably see plenty of comments about how "badass" and "mature" he is by people who like ONLY watched OS and XY and nothing in between. But when it comes to fourms I see this complaint everywhere. I wont deny there have been better handled more intersting variations of the character but everytime I see "he has no personality!1" I cant help but eye roll a bit.

Also not sure if unpopular but I really loved the Woods Episode in general and thought it was a great development episode for Ash, I only say unpopular since I see it get more flak then love these days.

Methinks that the antics & shenanigans of Jessie, James & their talking Meowth have gotten really old, really fast since the Johto Saga, if not earlier.

I've posted it here since I've a feeling that I'll be getting a lot of flak for this.

Speaking of, I dunno if this is really unpopular or not but I think XY Ash gets a bit to much crap for being "bland battle robot" and other similar complains I saw towards DP Ash before XY started up. I know im probably exaggerating the dislike of him since like you go on any XY video on youtube and youll probably see plenty of comments about how "badass" and "mature" he is by people who like ONLY watched OS and XY and nothing in between. But when it comes to fourms I see this complaint everywhere.

The problem as I see it is that XY (In particular) trades in Ash's earlier brashness and recklessness for just increased competence and a tendency to never argue about anything. The overall effect is that of a character who has no particular defining traits anymore - he's competent but not a prodigy; he's only not cheerful when showing token empathy; he only ever gets annoyed or riled by evildoers; he's helpful and empathetic, but empathises with everyone's problems equally, regardless of whatever they are.

That's not to say that Ash was ever a fantastic character (I don't think the anime has ever produced more than satisfactory characters). However, I find the Ash of OS a lot more believable than the Ash of XY. LadySasaki puts it well with the phrase "blandly smiling". Ash hasn't developed or matured: he's been watered down.

This comes back to something I touched on earlier, which is that I don't think the writers really know what to do with Ash. A story that goes on forever, glued to a huge franchise, is already certain death to any sensible character development. In a standalone story that might end, you could have the protagonist mature through growing up, passing some of the milestones of life. Not so with the Pokémon anime, so the result is the mess you get from trying to have a character grow whilst at the same time never significantly change at all

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom