• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have bad luck with Shinies?

Shiny Shinx

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn!
Reaction score
Well, one time in Diamond (I think), I found a Shiny Budew, used my Budew but it didn't do anything. Thats when I tried Poochyena, I used Bite, and with my stinkn' luck, got a Critacal Hit. It was my Secound Shiny I saw too. Really sucked.

Anyway, now it's your turn to tell.

Well, I've been playing the games for about 4 years now, and only found 1 shiny. It was a Moltres, and it fainted, so it wasn't shiny any more. I was really upset.

I've always successfully captured every single shiny I saw. Pokemon Tower Defence is another story >.>

The first shiny I ever found was during my first time playing Crystal. I was seven and had no clue why the Pokémon was suddenly a different color and sparkling. It also just so happened that this was before the point in the game where I was allowed to buy/use Pokéballs... >.>

Also, in LeafGreen I ran into a shiny Grimer at the top of the Cycling Path. And it ran away. :| I didn't think 'mons could flee outside of the Safari Zone (and of course roaming legends) so I was pretty steamed.

In 15 years of playing Pokémon, I've only run into those two shinies in the wild. >.< The two shinies I own have come from one very kind friend, and one very lucky GTS encounter: a legit, female, Japanese Snivy!

The only shinies I've had were the Red Gyarados and event Legendary Beasts, ie the ones that were guaranteed to be shiny.

Also, in LeafGreen I ran into a shiny Grimer at the top of the Cycling Path. And it ran away. :| I didn't think 'mons could flee outside of the Safari Zone (and of course roaming legends) so I was pretty steamed.

They can't flee, unless you're playing G/S/C. You obviously stumbled onto an extremely unfortunate and ill-timed glitch.

I've had more good luck than bad with Shinies, but there have been bad moments.

1: Found a Shiny Zigzagoon in Ruby. I was thrilled. Then I looked in the Poké Ball section of my bag and saw only the word "CANCEL". I had just used all of my Poké Balls on a stupid Manectric, which wasn't even Shiny, which I didn't even catch!

2: Found a Shiny Ditto in Gold. I had just ten regular Poké Balls and one Lure Ball. Even after weakening it (it transformed into my Hoothoot, so it wasn't even a hard to catch Pokémon!), none of those Poké Balls worked. I had to watch Ditto Struggle itself unconscious.

3: March 18th, 2010. I found a Shiny Ekans in the Safari Zone in HeartGold. Threw one Safari Ball. Ekans broke out, the ball didn't even shake. Ekans fled.

I've been lucky in finding them, just not catching them...I've been playing for ten years!
First Shiny was in Sapphire, a shiny Magikarp, GOLD! I caught it, gave it to my sister. She evolved it into a gyrados...yeah. Totally lost it's value. :eek:
Second shiny was in Sapphire again, there was a shiny Noctowl in the safari zone, SO I called my sis over, she said to hit it with a rock, so it would be easier to catch. It ran away. :argue:
Third Shiny was in Diamond, A Shiny Snubbull...caught it, evolved it, tragicaly Grandbull's shiny is brown. >_< :-/
Fourth Shiny, I got a shiny starter in Pearl, but my Ds died, I was totally pissed, :banghead: who wouldn't want a shiny Turtwig?
Yeah...never asking for help from my sister ever again! :sweat:

I've caught every shiny that has found me ;) so that's about 4 Pokemon in all my years of playing (since gen II).

Here they are:

FireRed
Spr_3f_041_s.png

Platinum
Spr_4p_163_s.png

White
Spr_5b_531_s.png

Emerald
Spr_3e_218_s.gif

Luckily enough, i didn't even know what a shiny was when i saw the Zubat lol

Last edited:
Missingno. Master said:
They can't flee, unless you're playing G/S/C. You obviously stumbled onto an extremely unfortunate and ill-timed glitch.

I knew I'd read somewhere that it couldn't flee... and then I wondered: "What the hell happened to me, then?" :/ The one time I get a glitch, and it has to cost me an awesome shiny... >.<

The only shiny I ever caught was a shiny Lombre.

Safe to say, it put me off catching shinies.

I've been playing since the Gen I days, and in that time I've only found 3 shiny Pokemon, and out of those 3 I've only managed to catch one.

The first time it was a shiny Electrike in Sapphire and I only had one Poke Ball and one Great Ball, and neither worked.

The second time it was a shiny Geodude in Platinum, and it used Selfdestruct before I could catch it.

And then I finally managed to catch my first shiny, an Audino in Black.

I have found and caught few shinies; Geodude and Donphan in Silver, Golbat and Aron in Ruby and Sapphire... and that's it. I did get a shiny Charmander and Eevee as an extra gift in the Arceus tour in 2010, but I'm not sure they count. The very first non-red Gyarados shiny I found was a Delibird in Silver, which ran away before I could get it!

My first and only Shiny encounter in the DS generation was a Raticate, which I wouldn't have even noticed was shiny if it weren't for those eponymous sparkles. Did I mention it was in the Johto safari zone?
Guess what happened next? Go on, just guess :|

My first and only Shiny encounter in the DS generation was a Raticate, which I wouldn't have even noticed was shiny if it weren't for those eponymous sparkles. Did I mention it was in the Johto safari zone?
Guess what happened next? Go on, just guess :|

You accidentally killed it?

Anyways...

I killed the shiny Gyarados when I first played Gold, cuz I thought I had to kill it 0.o

Also, the shinys I met up till now were Golbat and Hariyama... both who were freakin' annoying in Victory Road Gen III --

You accidentally killed it?

Anyways...

I killed the shiny Gyarados when I first played Gold, cuz I thought I had to kill it 0.o

Also, the shinys I met up till now were Golbat and Hariyama... both who were freakin' annoying in Victory Road Gen III --

Did you catch the Hariyama? Normally they have Whirlwind D;

I always seem to have bad luck with shiny Pokémon when I'm prepared. The last shiny Pokémon I caught - my Elgyem - came when I had 4 Pokéballs in that section of my bag, so I was relieved when I caught it - I thought for sure I was going to run out. Other times, when I've been purposely trying to RE a shiny Pokémon, they never appear, or I end up making them faint. And don't even get me started on Safari Zone shinies - that Paras would have been awesome.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom