• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have bad luck with Shinies?

I've only ever encountered one random shiny, and it was a Magikarp when I was searching for a Feebas in Ruby. I was there for so long, so no surprise. I actually didn't know much of anything about Shiny Pokemon then, but I noticed it was different colored and decided to catch it. If I encountered shiny Pokemon in Gold, then honestly, I don't know or remember. I had no idea about shiny Pokemon when I was a kid.

What I have bad luck with (or rather, no luck) is finding and/or hatching shinnies in the first place! It's quite frustrating to hatch hundreds of egg with no shiny while you read about people hatching shinnies in the first ten eggs. So glad I learned to RNG. Srsly.

This thread makes me feel lucky and grateful that I managed to catch all the shiny Pokemon I found.

I guess, as the only shinies i've ever seen are the event legends. For the most part I don't really let it bother me though.

I've been playing since Gen I and I have yet to even see a shiny in any game (save for red Gyarados, like that ever counts anyway). So yes. I have terrible luck with shinies and yet I refuse to get them in any way I consider easy or illegitimate.

The first shiny i saw (not counting stuff like Red gyarados and events) was a krabby in the safari zone and you probably guessed.It fled.Then I started a battle with a shiny Moltres! (yes really a shiny Moltres!)
I Used rock smash.It was a critical hit! Of all te times it could have happened why now?
I was depressed after wards

Here is my rogue's gallery of sorts:
Spr_5b_213_s.png
- Blue Shell (Female)
Spr_5b_596_s.png
- Zeus (Male)
Spr_5b_508_s.png
- Poochy (Female)

Awsome! I like the Shuckle :3

Remember that in Crystal, you can get an free egg from the daycare outside Goldenrod City? That egg hatched into a shiny Igglybuff, and I was very happy to get it like it was. Then in Platinum, when I was on Iron Island alongside Riley, I stumpled upon an ordinary Onix and a golden Graveler! But typical to my luck, Riley knocked it out AFTER I knocked out the Onix:banghead:

Remember that in Crystal, you can get an free egg from the daycare outside Goldenrod City? That egg hatched into a shiny Igglybuff, and I was very happy to get it like it was. Then in Platinum, when I was on Iron Island alongside Riley, I stumpled upon an ordinary Onix and a golden Graveler! But typical to my luck, Riley knocked it out AFTER I knocked out the Onix:banghead:

Thats why you knock out Riley first like I did with Chryal.

I've successfully caught almost every shiny I've found. Though, my first shinies in 3rd generation disappeared when I decided I wanted to restart a game and I didn't know their value at all. Shiny Beautifly was very pretty. Rest in peace.

But, back to the topic; I encountered shiny Kangaskhan in FireRed's Safari Zone few months ago when I was replaying the game. I was so depressed when it fled after I threw it some bait. Sigh, I really wanted it.

I have only found two shinies that aren't the red Gyarados and the baby Pokemon in Crystal. :< A Zubat in Fire Red and a Ponyta in Diamond.

I DID however get lucky enough to be given a Shiny Bellossom to use in the Battle Factory. o_o;

The only shiny I ever caught was a shiny Lombre.

Safe to say, it put me off catching shinies.
I think I'm the only one who finds Lombre cute. I must be weird.

My tale of woe: Chaining for a shiny Beldum on Pearl. The chain broke and hit reset...only to see a shiny Vibrava slide into view before the screen went white. ARGH!! :banghead: (One of these days, I'm gonna rechain and get you, you little so-and-so!!) Platinum made up for it, though. I ran into a RE shiny Zubat in the Lost Tower. :)

I've had pretty decent luck with RE wild shinies like my Zubat and my very first shiny, a Tangela but don't really have a lot of luck hatching them. It took me eight months to hatch a shiny Roselia and I'm up to 170 hatches on my Black cart with no shiny Golett in sight. Before you ask: no, I don't pitch them out. If they don't hatch shiny, I re-hatch the eggs. I'm too much of a wuss to evict a poor, level 1 Golett! :sweatlol:

Only one time did I fail to catch a shiny.

I was on Victory Road with Marley trying to get to Route 224.

We had a double wild battle but this time it was different. One of the Pokemon we faced was a shiny Azumarill.

I was stoked but I knew there was a risk that Marley might faint it but she had an Arcanine so I was slightly less concerned about that. What really bothered me was that the other Pokemon in the wild battle was a Graveler. I had to faint it quick. I attacked, Marley attacked but the Graveler didn't faint. That is when it used Self-Destruct.

Outside of Red Gyrados and all that jazz, my total shiny encounters: one. A Paras in LeafGreen. I'm just about ready to give up soft resetting for a shiny Articuno, too. I've been doing it for a while. I just don't have that kind of patience.

Well, the only real bad luck I have is when I'm trying to use the damned Pokeradar to chain for shinies. I tried to get a shiny Shinx this way (Black and gold for the freaking win), but I couldn't ever get anywhere near chaining forty Shinx because the chains kept breaking. I learned what I'm supposed to do to lower the chances of that happening too. >_>

There was one occasion where I wanted to kick myself though. In SoulSilver, I was training to battle Chuck, and I remembered I had run out of Pokeballs trying to catch a Lapras in the Union Cave. But, as we know, Cianwood City has no Pokemart, so I had to start Surfing back to Olivine so I could get to one. I thought I should get more Pokeballs now in case I ran into a shiny while training. But I freaking ended up FINDING A SHINY TENTACOOL ON THE WAY THERE. :banghead:

I still regret not buying Pokeballs BEFORE leaving Olivine City in the first place.

This was more bad timing rather than bad luck, though. I've managed to catch every shiny I've run into and attempted to catch, though. My gallery:

Spr_4p_402_m_s.png
- First shiny I ever caught. Trophy Garden in Platinum. Can't actually remember if it was male or female though. I eventually traded it cause I don't really care for Kricketune.

Spr_3f_020_s.png
- I wasn't even half an hour into one of my copies of FireRed (I have two because my mom didn't know I already had the game lol) when I found this guy as a Rattata. I evolve it, of course.

Spr_3r_306_s.png
- I was training in the Dewford Island cave in Emerald when I stumbled upon a shiny Aron, and Aron was a Pokemon I wanted to use on my team. Aggron is one of the few gen 3 Pokemon I like at all and his shiny form is my freaking favorite color (love that shade of blue!), so hell yeah I was gonna train this guy up. And I did. It's now a shiny Aggron and on top of that, he has a good nature! He is currently my favorite shiny in my possession. <3

Spr_4h_169_s.png
- I was exploring Mt. Mortar in HG when I found a spankin' shiny Zubat! I was so freaking happy cause Crobat is one of my favorite Pokemon. I don't like that the shiny form is pink, but it was still god dang shiny, so I couldn't wait to evolve the Zubat up. I also replaced my Pidgeot with it on my team, cause the Pidgeot just wasn't doing well for me. Must've had a bad nature. I should check those more often. xP

Despite also having a bad nature, my shiny Crobat still kicked butt for me!

Spr_5b_630_s.png
- I found this girl as a Vullaby when I was training a Frillish on Route 10 in Black. It was a wild double battle too, and my team had been too strong to attack it without KOing it. Except for Frillish, but it's weak to dark types, so I couldn't use it either. So after knocking out the Amoongus that appeared alongside the Vullaby, I threw Pokeballs at it while switching my Pokemon out constantly. I managed to get it in a Great Ball and at full health because I couldn't attack it. ^^

And that's all. :] This means I also have gotten a shiny from every gen too. Hehe.

I HATE trying to catch shines!

The only one I've really captured was the Red Gyarados in my Gold Version on GBC. Other than that I can never get 'em! :banghead:

I need to get better at this hole "Gotta Catch 'Em All" thing! :lol: JkJk

I managed to catch the only natural shiny I ever found, back in Gold. So I only have difficult with them when it comes to finding them :p

I have terrible, terrible luck with shinies. Probably the worst in the fandom.

The first shiny I ever met in the wild was a HootHoot in Gold. I had just run out of Great Balls.

The second one was in Ruby, a Whismur. I actually managed to catch this one, but lost that cartridge shortly after and have never been able to find it. That same cartridge also housed a legitimate Jirachi from that Pokémon Box promotion.

The third one was in Diamond. It was a Graveler that Exploded before I could even reach for a Pokéball.

I have not met one since, except for the red Gyarados in SoulSilver that doesn't count.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom