• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

do you hide your passion for pokemon?

DO YOU HIDE THAT YOU PLAY

• Yes no one must know!!!

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • I only tell my friends/other fans

Votes: 106 39.4%
  • I talk about it once in a while and most people know it play

Votes: 79 29.4%
  • IM A LOUD AND PROUND FAN OF POKEMON TO EVERYONE!

Votes: 61 22.7%

• Total voters
My family & close friends knows i like Pokemon but no one else. I don't go around telling people i like pokemon.

'Announcing' would be emntioning my love for pokemon for no reason at all to people whom you don't really consider a 'Friend'.

I don't hide it, but I don't really flaunt it either. It's getting harder now....Now that I'm in high school,my parents are starting to tell me that I should maybe find something else, because I've become rather obsessed. One of my friends from school still maintains some interest in Pokemon, but he's mostly into Runescape. My brother now says he hates Pokemon, but he occasionally plays Diamond. I'm not ashamed, but I am a bit nervous that others may consider me immature. But, the fandom itself is more mature than Pokemon itself, I would say. IRL, the only Pokemon fans I could talk to are mostly, as I like to put it, "Five-year-olds who don't know who Misty is".

I don't see my continuing interest in Pokemon as a sign of immaturity, I see it as a sign of loyalty, being true to myself.

IMO:
People who still like Pokemon well into their high school or college years? True to themselves and not concerned with what others think of them. People who think they have to not only pretend to hate, but actually hate, what they held dear as a child, in order to prove their maturity to others? People trying to prove that they are "cool", no matter the cost, and, IMO, those who are more likely to succumb to peer pressure and do drugs or whatever.

I am proud to be true to myself, and maintain my interest in Pokemon until I myself am no longer interested in it, not when the so-called "cool people" say that it's dumb.

Um, are my eyes on fire?

I think in general the world doesn't understand fandom. Generally speaking, if you post on fan forums alot, write fanfiction, etc. you are "wasting your time." With that said, I don't really hide it all that much, and probably if asked what anime I watch I would throw it in there (as in: Gundam, Prince of Tennis, Pokemon, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop...) and so on. I do think that there still is some appreciation for the games, though most people at my high school think that DS is childish in general.

But who really cares what other people think, am I right? I mean, it matters some, but not as much as we sometimes tend to think.

I don't hide it as much as I used too. My best friend knows I like pokemon. Which he does not care. My family knows I like pokemon and know that I am in High School they are trying to get me out of it.

Speaking of High School, I am in the band. One day at band camp we were all eating lunch and a senior started talking about pokemon. This blew me away. She even had pearl version. Me and here battled and everything.

So yeah, I kinda announced it there too.

On the contrary, I somewhat make it known. I don't go around attempting to strike up conversations about it with people, but I do drop the occassional reference bomb on them.

In my class, me, and 2 other friends started talking about it for nostalgic reasons and got fairly excited about it. The next day, she came to school with her gameboy and Ruby, which she'd apparently been playing. I, around the same time, started playing LeafGreen again. After causing him to reminisce, my other friend got his, and we all started files at the same time. Since then, interestingly enough, we've had several people whom we've mentioned it to say that they wanted in on it as well. It's almost like we've started a little nostalgic Pokemon surge. The guy friend and I are popular amongst our senior class as well, so it's not like it's something within an isolated circle or anything either.

The thing is, Pokemon was so huge back then that it's not often you'd find someone who says they didn't watch it or like it. You almost certainly wouldn't find someone from that generation who doesn't "know" about it. The truth is, people enjoy it, and people have fond memories of it. Things from our childhood are often those that keep life fun, outside dreaded work, school, etc... If you just mention it to a coworker or classmate, you might be surprised as to how many people would actually discuss it and enjoy it.

The only person who I don't say anything about it with or towards is a particular friend and bandmate of mine. He's a great guy, but he's also kind of a douche and very immature about a lot of shit. He's the type who'll just talk about "you being gay" for that type of thing, so I avoid talking about it simply to avoid argument or the irritation I'd get from it. It'd do no good.

I don't try to hide it or anything, if it comes up or is appropriate I feel free to bring it up. As I see it if a person can admit to liking characters like Mario, Kirby, or Megaman, then they should be able to accept characters like Pikachu. (They all aim for the same demographic anyways)

Most people looking to tease someone about anything are mainly looking for some kind of reaction. So if someone were to say "Ha ha, you like Pokemon" I'd probably go "yeah, so...?" if I could keep a straight face without laughing.

Yeah, I hide it.
However, I... just out of habit... tend to be a very secretive person anyway. So most people at school know almost nothing about me beyond my name and general appearance. So I don't really hide it any more than I hide anything else.
I do bring my DS to school and play it, but usually not where anyone could see what I'm playing....

Although, even when it gets brought up, I suppose, I still hide it. I have one particular incident in mind, when last year, a friend of mine who I've known since first grade (but have not been very close to in that time) mentioned she had been playing Ruby, and seemed a bit embarrassed by it. Despite the fact that I actually had my DS/Pearl in my pocket at the time, I didn't even mention that I liked it at all. Just kind of gave her one of those "o_O" looks (because she didn't really strike me as a Pokemon kind of person).
Blah~

I consider myself rather well-liked at my school and I find school much more enjoyable if I don't give people a reason (however stupid their reason may be) to harass or ignore me. I plan to be more open about it at college as they are much more accepting than stupid high school students. My extended family know about it but they know that I have liked it continually since I was like 5 so it is just part of me.

I don't hide it, but I don't go out of my way to make everyone know. My school is pretty accepting of everyone's varied interests, so I don't get bashed for liking Pokemon. ^_^

I never really show my passion for the Anime publicly, so nobody knows that I like Pokemon except online though.

i cant say that i really hide the fact that i like pokemon as much as the fact that i've never had the right time to say i like it. no one in any of my classes has brought it up so i haven't gotten to express my love for it! however, my friends at school know i like it, and we are all the big anime tumor of the school so its not really that weirdXD also, i have a bunch of friends on my block that know i like it and my family does too. one of my closest friends on my street is like my main person to talk to for pokemon. we have so much fun talking about cards, the games, the show. yeah......but if someone was to ask me if i liked it i definitely wouldn't say i didn't.

the one thing i do hate is the people who will make fun of it or make fun of someone who likes it, but the truth is that they are just hiding the fact that they like it too.

Well, I don't really play, watch, etc. pokémon much anymore too be honest.
(I've stuck around here for the awesome users)
But when I did play it, I didn't really hide it, but no one brought it up so, I don't know if anyone really knew I played it...

[Please don't flame me for not loving pokémon]

All my friends know that i play (and ive converted a couple of them :D) but at work a diferent matter! being a "professional" i would sit in the tea room and play my DS, let alone pokemon!! my friend on the other hand who is a primary school teacher often plays it in the staff room and apparently no one bats an eyelid....................

All my friends know that i play (and ive converted a couple of them :D) but at work a diferent matter! being a "professional" i would sit in the tea room and play my DS, let alone pokemon!! my friend on the other hand who is a primary school teacher often plays it in the staff room and apparently no one bats an eyelid....................

A professional at what if you don't mind me asking.

A lot of people at my high school admit to playing the games regularly or even at the very least think Pokemon is cool. But still, I usually don't mention that I'm into it unless I'm around someone else who is the same way I am. Or I make it seem like I'm not as obsessed as I may really be haha.

I used to hide, until I realized how, um, silly I was. (And also discovered my cousin and some people at school played/watched the anime regularly.)

EDIT:

Ah, and more. The anime is "a children's thing"? Yes, it is. BUT, we all have a little child inside us, don't we? XD

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom