• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you intended to watch the Pokemon anime forever?

I've been watching it practically since it started, but didn't watch it on a regular basis until mid-Johto. Until it ends, I'm in pretty deep at this point.

Besides, anything that's constantly "to be continued*" requires some degree of commitment, but that's just me.

*except when it says "Next time... A new beginning!"

Things can't last forever, so I'm at least willing to research info on the anime if I need to. I'm an adult so I can't spend my life watching a kids show forever just because it doesn't end 30 years. That's too much time spent on one show.

Since most of the other shows I watch are also kids shows, spending years watching Pokemon doesn't seem too strange to me.

True but Pokémon has been on for a while now and most people I know have moved on. It's just something that people grow out of. However, I still sometimes play the games but the show has been repetitive for me in allot of ways so I get bored at times. One day I'll have to call it a quits because dragging on to any show isn't really worth it. But I get what your saying though.

True but Pokémon has been on for a while now and most people I know have moved on. It's just something that people grow out of. However, I still sometimes play the games but the show has been repetitive for me in allot of ways so I get bored at times. One day I'll have to call it a quits because dragging on to any show isn't really worth it. But I get what your saying though.

Most of the people I knew who were into Pokemon dropped it ages ago too, but that doesn't really matter to me. Some people grow out of it, but I never did and considering that I've watched this series for over a decade, I doubt that I ever will. I want to keep watching the show despite its flaws because I enjoy talking about it online, as well as with a friend who also like Pokemon, and it is fun. I see no problem with keeping up with the show. It might be difficult as I get older and there will be more important stuff on my plate, as there is now, but I can't really see myself dropping the show completely.

Most of the people I knew who were into Pokemon dropped it ages ago too, but that doesn't really matter to me. Some people grow out of it, but I never did and considering that I've watched this series for over a decade, I doubt that I ever will. I want to keep watching the show despite its flaws because I enjoy talking about it online, as well as with a friend who also like Pokemon, and it is fun. I see no problem with keeping up with the show. It might be difficult as I get older and there will be more important stuff on my plate, as there is now, but I can't really see myself dropping the show completely.

I see where you're coming from, but personally, the flaws over the years have been accumulating in my eyes, so it's made things even tougher to hold out. Add to that in general I'm fatigued by the idea that the journey will never end, and seems to be aimless at this point, so it's just frustrating to see that for me. I always thought someday Ash and company would realize their dreams, and the series would end. Sadly for me, the game sales will indefinitely continue the anime, and thus Ash's tale has no end in sight. Finally, and most importantly, maybe it's time to accept that I'm growing out of the series. All of that together just makes it seem like a prolonged painful experience to continue to watch the series.

I'm one of the few who liked some of BW, namely BWS1 and BWS2: Episode N, even dubbed (except BW116-- that was just horrific for me), but I can't say I've been following the series with a good conscience over the last few years. Things have simply changed too much for my liking, I suppose.

I do think it's cool you plan to stay onboard despite your dissatisfaction with BW. I did that for DP myself, but I just don't think I can take much more of the way things are now. My plan is to just finish the BW series, and go game-only afterwards. :)

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from, but personally, the flaws over the years have been accumulating in my eyes, so it's made things even tougher to hold out. Add to that in general I'm fatigued by the idea that the journey will never end, and seems to be aimless at this point, so it's just frustrating to see that for me. I always thought someday Ash and company would realize their dreams, and the series would end. Sadly for me, the game sales will indefinitely continue the anime, and thus Ash's tale has no end in sight. Finally, and most importantly, maybe it's time to accept that I'm growing out of the series. All of that together just makes it seem like a prolonged painful experience to continue to watch the series.

I can understand that feeling as well with the flaws increasing over the years. Ash being on an endless journey doesn't really bother me though. I thought that the series would only last through Kanto, but I was fine with it going longer and I figured that Ash would just go on with his journey without becoming a Pokemon Master ages ago. If I was watching the show to see Ash reach his goal, I probably would have gotten tired of it a long time ago.

EmotionalTensionPKMN said:
I'm one of the few who liked some of BW, namely BWS1 and BWS2: Episode N, even dubbed (except BW116-- that was just horrific for me), but I can't say I've been following the series with a good conscience over the last few years. Things have simply changed too much for my liking, I suppose.

I do think it's cool you plan to stay onboard despite your dissatisfaction with BW. I did that for DP myself, but I just don't think I can take much more of the way things are now. My plan is to just finish the BW series, and go game-only afterwards. :)

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Episode N and there were episodes in season one I liked too. The problems in BW can be seriously annoying for me and the whole series thus far is rather disappointing, but it hasn't gotten to the point where I even consider dropping the show. I'm not even sure if a series even worse than BW could do that. I still enjoy watching the show, talking about it and just relaxing. Plus, I love still watching new episodes on Saturday mornings. I never would have expected that when I first got into the series, but the fact that it will continue on for years because of the games feels comforting to me. I can totally understand going game-only after BW though.

I have been watching the anime since the first generation back in 1998, and even today I still watch the anime. I will continue to watch it even if the franchise ends, I will still watch it, I won't quit until I pass away.

At least to me, every generation keeps getting better and better.

Yes.

I've watched all the episodes of Pokemon from all the generations, and don't plan to stop, ever xD

I might not watch every episode the day they come out, as I don't do that anyways, but I plan to watch every single episode, eventually. As in, I might not watch some because when I'm older I would probably have to go to work, but I would hopefully find the time to do so. And I would continue to obsess over it, day after day until I die.

Because you can never be too old for Pokemon.

He was getting closer to his goal.
Then Best Wishes happened.

I have no idea when I'll stop watching. Part of me still hopes they will someday decide to end it for whatever reason and come with some kind of conclusive final episode...

But so long as interesting battles happen, funny scenes happen, Rocket-dan doesn't ever goes back to their BW-selves, and pokemon with likeable personalities join the main cast, I probably will continue watching.

Well, I can see myself skipping a whole series if it turns out to be worse than the original to me. Specially the Joutou part...

I honestly have no clue.

I enjoy the show as it gives me a connection to my childhood. However college (and eventually medical school) will impede my ability to keep with it like I do now. There may come a point where I just don't watch it anymore. Not because I dislike but because I don't have the time. But until then, you can count me in as one of the people who watch the show religiously week after week since the original saga began.

Who knows? I've thought about this as well as my future in Pokémon fandom a countless number of times. I'd like to stay optimistic and say I will - but who knows what life will throw at me? What'll happen to me? I don't know. Though, I would like to remain watching Pokémon anime as long as I can - it's one of those things that marked my life and simply stopping wouldn't feel right - it wouldn't be right. Though I'm certainly staying here for the next 3-4 years of the XY anime! :)

I don't really know that. A part of me says that I will probably never stop, but... that's because right now I'm only a young adult. I still have some freedom and can do almost what I want. However, at some point I'll have to face a really terrible enemy: real life and what follows it. I probably won't have time to watch the anime and who knows if I'll have money to buy the games.

Good things tend to end, unfortunately. And sooner or later, the swan will sing for me as well.

I must say, I don't think I will, to be totally honest. I feel like a veteran of the Pokemon anime community as far as seeing it change for better, and for worse, over the years, IMO. For me, it's rather heartbreaking to see a once simple and humble show take the course Pokemon has over the last few years. It's really sad to see something that used to make people so happy...well, so sad, these days. In a way I feel I learned a lot by watching the anime over the years from the producers, and yet in a way, I do feel the producers could learn a lot from the fans as well.

Re-watching the OS makes me pretty depressed, and I really struggle not to cry when I see how long the anime has been strung out past its sell date, because lately I feel I'm seeing a show that was always inviting and welcoming to everyone, made a lot of people really happy, and Pokemon used to be something very special in comparison to what it is now. I bet, it was to a lot of us, and for many it still is that wonderful series that was just a fun hobby or a place to get away from the troubles of real life. I think for me Ash really resembles how I was as a kid, so it hurts really hard to see that he's just a means for marketing the games of the series. Even if it was always the case, there's something more I feel the earlier anime series really stand out showing. Pokemon was never the greatest anime: heck, it was never the greatest show...but it was once a simple and humble show...in fact, it was once my favorite show. Some of the changes to it have made my blood boil, disgusted me, and even made me cry, lashing out in pain over the years. Yet, in a way, I understand these changes have to be made because the writers and dubbers intend to make things fresh for the next generation, and so on, so forth. Of course it hurts me to know Ash and company are being altered and changed around to constantly suit the target audience (children) and that they have lost a lot of their really defining characteristics and mannerisms over the years in my eyes.

Is it depressing Ash and Team Rocket just aren't the same characters anymore to a lot of us? Yeah, it really is. I suppose that is what hurts me the most as a long time fan of the series. I remember there was once an Ash who would rub his hands raw trying to care for his Charizard, would block the entrance to an ice cave with his back just to shield his Pokemon from the cold, the Ash who would put his Chikorita and Pikachu in his coat to keep them warm while he froze, the Ash who would feed his Snorunt before even thinking about himself in the freezing cold, the Ash who would jump in the middle of two blasts just to stop endless fighting, the Ash who thought more with his heart than his head. That is the character Ash once was to me: he was a very selfless and caring trainer...that is the character he isn't anymore to me. I remember the Team Rocket who were more than purely bumbling idiots, or instead, serious drones: the balance of goofiness and seriousness, the almost real nature and human emotions of Team Rocket: the bossy but awesome Jessie, the goofy but deeply developed James, and the superficially evil but overall good-hearted Meowth. Now, I can't see that anymore. I see a bunch of morons trying to swipe Pikachu and whatever else the omnipotent Ash and his gang of twerps and twerpettes may have. There's no real emotion from them, even as goofballs these days.

At the same time, I feel it's time for all of us to pass the reigns over to the next generations of fans too. I wish Ash and Team Rocket would not have to be changed like they have been, I wish the older generations' characters had been allowed to depart with the older generation, but it is still nice to see the newer generation views them as their own heroes and villains. I suppose XY will be my final series or BW may be depending on how the first 10 eps of XY are to me, but it's been a good ride. Full of hardship, joy, fun, happiness, pain, and sadness. I can only hope someday the anime will end, and that it ends on a good note. :)

It is hard to see something I held very closely to my heart for so long change the way it has, and for me, not really for the better. I once admired the Pokemon anime series not for the battles, not for the Pokeballs, etc. I really admired it for the characters, and the Pokemon. I loved this show because it was a simple and enjoyable series...something anyone could relate to and identify with. That is the Pokemon I remember, and the series I truly miss.

Last edited:
Sure, after I figure out the secrets of immortality first. I will then be free from life and death itself and attain true freedom and existence without worldly worries and suffering.

On a serious note, it really depends on how the writers make it to be in the near future. Will it be up to my personal taste or not? If it is, then I shall continue. If not, then I may drop it and come back to it some other time. I really don't have a problem with the main casts staying ten forever or if they go on an endless adventure for all of eternity. I like the adventure itself and each ending makes me tear up but I also know that NEXT TIME... A NEW BEGINNING will happen.

This all comes down to "change".

The anime is going to keep changing as long as it is airing. Undoubtedly, the question is how much specific individuals enjoy said change.

For myself, I would like to say that I would watch till the day I die but I have already dropped the anime at the beginning of BW once so If I lose interest I will probably pack my bags up and leave again until something recaptures my attention.

Unless something becomes truly horrible or in some way offensive, I like to stick with it to the end. If you had told me when I was eight years old I'd still be watching this cartoon fourteen years later, I wouldn't believe you for a second. But despite whatever other viewpoints people may have about this goofy children's cartoon, I still find it fun mental comfort food, an easy distraction for thirty minutes every week, plus random spurts when I'm bored and craving to see an odd episode or two of my beloved childhood show, or I have friends whoever who find my Pokemon DVD collection impressive and the show itself hilarious and charming in its ridiculousness and nostalgia. I don't care what anyone says, it's still the same Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket to me (yes, even through Best Wishes, although I demand the return of Wobbuffet), and the show itself is overall just as silly and crazy and heart-warming and a nice distraction from the alternating monotony and drama of day-to-day life. Maybe if I honestly stop feeling comforted by the continuing adventures set in this cute fantasy world I'll stop paying attention, but I don't think that day will arrive. I like to at least think I've grown up a lot over the years, but the child in my heart will still always stick by Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom