• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you keep your love of Pokemon a secret from others?

I haven't really told anyone but my cousin that I like the franchise.

I'm... a little embarrassed to openly discuss it with others in public places lol. but that comes from being naturally shy. I've dumbed down my discussions about it a bit before when talking to a friend on the train (though that was years ago). nowadays I can see myself acting the same depending on who I'm around. with co-workers? prolly a little more quiet about it since a lot of them were adults with kids and other responsibilities, who probably wouldn't share that interest lol. but if I'm hanging out around bf's friends it's more likely more of them would be interested in it too :bulbaLove:

Veeery guarded on some aspects, less so on others. I wouldn't be comfortable with any of my coworkers knowing about my plush collection, my cosplays, nor my framed map of Kanto and Johto, for example. I'd be ok opening up to a few of the geekier ones about my competitive interests (topped a few Showdown ladders in my time). I've actually discovered very recently that there's a little bit of a Go community at work and I'd definitely say the game has been normalised in civilised society, so that would be fine.

Last edited:
To copy from another thread:
My friends and family know of my like of Pokémon, but I try to keep it to myself as much as possible. I always get really awkward and closed off whenever my family tries to talk to me about Pokémon, often times desperately trying to change the subject. Sometimes I’ll open a little about it, but that’s rather rare.

I used to wear a few Pokémon shirts though—in fact I think there’s a yearbook photo of me in a Treecko shirt—but I’ve stopped as I prefer plain t-shirts and would rather keep Pokémon to myself.

So the answer would be not very open.

I talk with my friends about the series. But they are not into it as much as I am. I spoke about the XY anime with them and showed Clemont's exploding machines. I have yet to show them Leon's pose.

To copy from another thread:

So the answer would be not very open.

Aw, that's a shame to hear. I'm very lucky inasmuch that Mum supported me with the TCG back in the 90s (and thus knew the names of the original 150), before later getting into Go to an even greater extent than me. She's an avid Genwunner even though Go is her only real exposure to the franchise these days.

It may be useless and unwanted advice, but I always find it's helpful to have a kind of stock answer when quizzed about some of my nerdier interests. When it comes to Pokemon, I often explain it all away by saying "I'm a child of the 90s". My Warhammer collection is a "Constructive personal hobby project". My cosplay is really "Just a kind of fancy dress with specific characters". Perhaps there's a way to frame your interest that satisfies people without giving the full game away.

Yes, I do. Pretty much no one in real life knows I love Pokémon, but then again I don't know anyone who also still likes it. Except my cousin, but he lives in another part of the country. My parents have a vague idea I guess but they don't really care either way. I've never been very open about my fandom interests in general though, except with friends.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom