• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

do you like b/w so far? what are you most excited about?

what are you most excited about?

• Total voters
Currently? The music. And the still the region. I don't care much for anything else, I just want a new region to explore (and music makes the exploration nicer) :3

The part I'm looking forward to the most is definitely...
the cutscenes.

video001.png
video002.png
video003.png

video004.png

It just... looks so incredibly EPIC. (Also, Little N is quite adorable.)
If those aren't ingame cutscenes, the world shall RAEG. *nods*

In the poll, I voted "story", as the cutscenes are surely a great part of it.

The new Pokemon - Some of them look pretty cool (a few don't) but it'll be interesting learning about them and all that jazz.

Aloe - Although I think Dahlia was the first black game character Aloe is the "official" first black game character. Finally people will see that black people exist and would have Pokemon.

The new bad guys - I'm into knights and medieval things so villains based on stuff like that will be pretty cool I hope.

I would say Gym Leaders but they never really excite me. Unless they make it so the gym has special features like "volcano gym gives Fire Pokemon 10% Sp Atk" or "waterfall gym gives Water and Grass Pokemon 10% HP and 5% extra evasiveness". Yes I know this will probably never happen so that's why Gym Leaders aren't that exciting to me.

I'm most excited for all the online stuff, and random battles, I'll spend most of my time doing that

Triple battles, Miracle Shooter, Rotation mode, improvements to Double battles and more battle combos are what I'm looking forward the most about Black & White. Moreover, the perspective of the story as well as Isshu and the new Pokémon are also welcomed additions.

Personally, I'd have to say I'm looking forward to everything except the story, I remember when Pokemon was simple, you woke up one day, you were ten, and your mom forced you on a quest to capture somewhat frightening, yet adorable, monsters.

Since Gen. III, Pokemon has become increasingly more complicated, I wish there was a return to the days of, oh, look, villainous team on the loose, they're in the way of me getting a badge, so, I need to beat them. Now, it's like, oh, villainous team, they actually have some bearing on the game, saying things I'd only want to see in a Final Fantasy, and making my fantastic collectible monster RPG into a mess. >.>

But, that's just my opinion, I'm sure people would actually enjoy seeing Cloud as the main character to the next Gen.

The OP should've made an "Other" option, because I feel indifferent towards B/W. The only one of the few good things about this gen. is that I heard the story is supposed to be much darker than the previous gens., but I'm listing reasons below as to why B/W may disappoint from a quality perspective.

-Both Reshiram and Zekurom should've been based upon some mythological gods. I was one of the fans who kinda thought a Light-type would come to fruition because they appear to be rivals to each other based upon their designs, but it turned out that the former is Fire/Dragon and the latter is Electric/Dragon. Would've been better if Reshiram and Zekurom drew inspiration from both Agni, the Hindu fire god, and Thor, the Greek thunder god, respectively.

-The continuously mediocre treatment of the Dark-type. Meguroko is good proof of this as there's nothing 'dark' about it save for it's eyes and stripes and should've been Dragon-typed instead. If the move "Trickery" is Dark-typed, then I hope it's "Special", otherwise its no different from the move "Punishment". Both Shimama(the zebra) and Gochiruzeru(the goth) look very different from the other pokemon of the same respective types as them, yet are only single-typed, hell they're not even Dark-type at all. I wanted the concept of Dark to be expanded upon to include both actual darkness and black magic, bit at this point, I'll just be grateful if they actually introduced more Special Dark-type attacks at all.

-The starter lines. Pokabu is the only one who arouses my interest at all, which isn't saying very much as I heard it evolves into yet another dual Fire/Fighting-type. Yanappu should've been the Grass-type starter instead of Tsutarja and Miju just looks plain fuguly.

-The ability "Sturdy" now protects pokemon from any attack that would've KO-ed it in just a single hit. I now have to waste another move to KO an opposing pokemon who has that ability and the add insult to injury, a good majority of pokemon who have this ability can learn EQ and that opposing pokemon's teammate(s) will use that chance to cripple my team.

-Triple Battles. It could be difficult to strategize against the opposing team, esp. if that team contains 3 Wobbuffets.

-Combination Moves. Again, how am I supposed to defend myself against a single move of two very different types now? Will the base power of the combo move be the sum total of the 2 moves used to create it? I hope combos are limited to just support moves and damaging moves that are specifically tailored for them(combos) like the Oath moves. I do admit that there are already existing moves that sound like they could be dual-type such as the "Mud" moves but that's about it.

-Inappropriately-typed pokemon and boring single types or type combos! For instance, Meguroko and Shikijika should've both been Ground/Dragon and pure Grass respectively. Make Rankurusu, Shimama and Gochiruzeru Poison/Psychic, Electric/Dark and Dark/Psychic respectively. Also, I don't want another Normal/Flying or Grass/Bug-type, Emonga sucks as an Electric/Flying-type and I want more original type combos.

Wow. What a sorry post. B&W doesn't conform to your ideas so you're giving it the brush off? Maybe it's not indifference. Maybe you're bordering on dislike.

This generation has a large following already. It's clear people are excited about more than one thing. Maybe you'll eventually see why its offerings are so good.

Last edited:
The continuously mediocre treatment of the Dark-type. Meguroko is good proof of this as there's nothing 'dark' about it save for it's eyes and stripes and should've been Dragon-typed instead. If the move "Trickery" is Dark-typed, then I hope it's "Special", otherwise its no different from the move "Punishment". Both Shimama(the zebra) and Gochiruzeru(the goth) look very different from the other pokemon of the same respective types as them, yet are only single-typed, hell they're not even Dark-type at all. I wanted the concept of Dark to be expanded upon to include both actual darkness and black magic, bit at this point, I'll just be grateful if they actually introduced more Special Dark-type attacks at all.
Do you have any idea what a Dark Type is? They aren't dark like night, it pretty much means fighting dirty, or being a Trickster/Thief like Weavile and Zoroark are. Both Shimama and Gochiruzeru are black, so therefore they have to be dark typed? There are reasons these Pokemon are Electric and Psychic, saying they should be a certain type because of what color they are is just idiotic.
-The starter lines. Pokabu is the only one who arouses my interest at all, which isn't saying very much as I heard it evolves into yet another dual Fire/Fighting-type. Yanappu should've been the Grass-type starter instead of Tsutarja and Miju just looks plain fugly.
Again, this is just your opinion. Pretty much everyone else has at LEAST one starter they like this Generation. There is also no proof whatsoever that Pokabu evolves into Fire/Fighting, that is unconfirmed info. Basing an opinion on two Pokemon, who you know pretty much nothing about, is just not smart to do. You have no idea what Yanappu or Tsutarja's evolutions look like, so how can you judge them?

-Triple Battles. It could be difficult to strategize against the opposing team, esp. if that team contains 3 Wobbuffets.
How will that be any different than fighting against 2 Wobbuffets?

-Inappropriately-typed pokemon and boring single types or type combos! For instance, Meguroko and Shikijika should've both been Ground/Dragon and pure Grass respectively. Make Rankurusu, Shimama and Gochiruzeru Poison/Psychic, Electric/Dark and Dark/Psychic respectively. Also, I don't want another Normal/Flying or Grass/Bug-type, Emonga sucks as an Electric/Flying-type and I want more original type combos.
First of all, you are not the game or Pokemon designer. You have pretty much no idea what these Pokemon are based/created from, and until hearing information on them and seeing their evolutions, are just pulling things out of your ass. Meguroko is a Crocodile, not a Dragon. A Crocodile. It is Ground/Dark for a reason, it most likely lives in or near the desert. Shikijika is half grass for a reason as well, it is not totally covered in grass, so isn't it pretty logical that its half normal and half grass? Again, Rankurusu is based off a Homunculus, here's some info on them.
Currently, in scientific fields, a homunculus may refer to any scale model of the human body that, in some way, illustrates physiological, psychological, or other abstract human characteristics or functions.
There are plenty more flaws in this logic of yours, but I'd rather not delve into that now. I'd wait until the games released before throwing all these ideas and Pokemon out the window. They may not meet your expectations, but according to most fans, they're pretty damn good so far.

Let my sum up my thoughts so far:

New characters: good
New region: very good
new music: very very good
new game mechanics: ok
new pokémon: varying from good to meh
new starters: good
new starters' evolutions (if real): VERY, VERY, VERY BAD.

Let my sum up my thoughts so far:

New characters: good
New region: very good
new music: very very good
new game mechanics: ok
new pokémon: varying from good to meh
new starters: good
new starters' evolutions (if real): VERY, VERY, VERY BAD.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
I agree with all of these, except for 'new Pokemon' which I would say is 'good', but I sort of just take the designs as they come really; seems to be becoming less important that "THESE POKEMONZ LOOKZ DIFFERENT THEN B4!!! BURNS THEM!" which is my brother's thoughts on the subject.

Wow. What a sorry post. B&W doesn't conform to your ideas so you're giving it the brush off? Maybe it's not indifference. Maybe you're bordering on dislike.

This generation has a large following already. It's clear people are excited about more than one thing. Maybe you'll eventually see why its offerings are so good.

Indifference could mean "mediocre", which actually means "so-so" rather a complete or vehement dislike/hatred for something. Hell, I like the feature of TMs never disappearing after use, some ideas for the new pokemon(e.g. the electric spider, Giaru, the sarcophagus, Munna/Musharna) and again, how B&W's story is supposedly much darker than that of the previous gens.

Do you have any idea what a Dark Type is? They aren't dark like night, it pretty much means fighting dirty, or being a Trickster/Thief like Weavile and Zoroark are. Both Shimama and Gochiruzeru are black, so therefore they have to be dark typed? There are reasons these Pokemon are Electric and Psychic, saying they should be a certain type because of what color they are is just idiotic.

*sigh*Yes, I know what the hell Dark in Pokemon is, but that technically makes it a division of the Normal-type that focuses on devious/predatory behavior, which is so stupid and pointless. Should any pokemon who has a habit of "fighting dirty" have to be Dark-type? Any person or pokemon could pull off a regular "dirty fighting" tactic in an attempt to win a fight, but Zoroark is different because I think it utilizes an abnormal method, which is to transform into a different pokemon species with the help of black magic, to fend itself against its foes.

I'm not implying both Shimama and Gochiruzeru be Dark-type simply because of their black coloration. The former looks like an embodiment of cloudiness, which is usually associated with pessimism(a negative emotion), with its blackish grey skin and white stripes, while the latter looks a certifiable Dark-type as it's basically a stylized depiction of a girl in gothic lolita clothing and aren't goths stereotyped as these anti-social people in black clothing with a nihilistic emo attitude?

Again, this is just your opinion. Pretty much everyone else has at LEAST one starter they like this Generation. There is also no proof whatsoever that Pokabu evolves into Fire/Fighting, that is unconfirmed info. Basing an opinion on two Pokemon, who you know pretty much nothing about, is just not smart to do. You have no idea what Yanappu or Tsutarja's evolutions look like, so how can you judge them?

I'll admit Miju doesn't look that bad compared to Snubbull, Zigzagzoon or Huntail and I was kinda harsh about it, but still, they could do better than this. As for Tsutarja, it's not that I've any disliking for it as an overall pokemon; it's just that reptiles for Grass-type starters have been overdone ever since the franchise's birth.

How will that be any different than fighting against 2 Wobbuffets?

What I meant to say is that strategizing against any combo the opposing team throws at me will become so complicated that I'd have to hack my team's stats to even have so much as a decent chance of winning at all. The only bright side to this is that I can bring all 6 of my pokemon to the battle field at the very same time, but still, that could increase the chances of half my team being KO-ed much faster if the opposing team's combo proves too powerful to countermeasure against.

First of all, you are not the game or Pokemon designer. You have pretty much no idea what these Pokemon are based/created from, and until hearing information on them and seeing their evolutions, are just pulling things out of your ass. Meguroko is a Crocodile, not a Dragon. A Crocodile. It is Ground/Dark for a reason, it most likely lives in or near the desert. Shikijika is half grass for a reason as well, it is not totally covered in grass, so isn't it pretty logical that its half normal and half grass? Again, Rankurusu is based off a Homunculus, here's some info on them.

I never implied I was one of the game designers. I just don't think some pokemon look the right types. I thought Meguroko should be part-Dragon instead of Dark because I think of Dragon as having reptilian characteristics, which is probably why that type has a weakness to Ice(frigid temperatures). Shikijika could've gained another type depending upon its appearance during a certain season instead. Sure Rankurusu is based upon a homunculus, but that green blobby substance covering its body makes me think it'd be part-Poison.

Last edited:
I know what the hell Dark in Pokemon is, but that technically makes it a division of the Normal-type that focuses on devious/predatory behavior, which is so stupid and pointless. Should any pokemon who has a habit of "fighting dirty" have to be Dark-type?

In Pokemon, the Dark type in Japanese is literally the "evil" type. So yes, devious and predatory behaviors are what would define it.

That said, my personal twocents are as follows:
I love the starters to bits, and most of their possible-unconfirmed evolutions as well. I also really like most of the pokemon that are being introduced this generation. I wasn't a fan of everything from every other generation, but I'm surprised how many of these I really enjoy.

The new game mechanics I mostly like too. The triple battles have me really :I feeling, but the rest is okay.

The new characters and storyline are what has me seduced, though. It seems really involving and (dare I say) deep.
The character designs are really neat, so there's a visually appealing element, and the story is so layered I just lose words at how awesome I think it will be.

Team Plasma? Hate the name, but love the uniforms/mission/role/methods/everything else. I and really REALLY strongly looking forward to them and I'm not just saying that because I looked at the uniforms and thought "Knights Templar" before anything else.

Meh! With the release of the starters' evos I am MUCH less excited than I was. Even though they are really fantastic looking, the types are ridiculous. Two monos and ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHT. Tis getting old GF...

In Pokemon, the Dark type in Japanese is literally the "evil" type. So yes, devious and predatory behaviors are what would define it.

But, there's no element or paranormal force behind most Dark-type moves, just mere intent/behavior behind them, so other than that, what makes Dark so different from Normal or Fighting?

But, there's no element or paranormal force behind most Dark-type moves, just mere intent/behavior behind them, so other than that, what makes Dark so different from Normal or Fighting?

Normal = Pure animals, just doing what animals do, with no major elemental attribute.
Fighting = Training of the body to train the mind. Also, there's a difference between fighting honourably than fighting dirty. Fighting having an advantage over Dark could possibly show that honest intentions are better than dishonest.

Normal = Pure animals, just doing what animals do, with no major elemental attribute.

I just think of Normal as the mundane-type, as in the complete lack of superpowers or extraordinary characteristics, so they would more likely to fight with the body parts they already have(e.g. teeth and hands) and the basic knowledge to use them. Moves like Assurance(knocking the opponent even when its down), Bite(teeth), Crunch(again, teeth), Knock Off(knocking the opponent's belongings away from it) and Thief(common thievery) could easily fall under Normal as they probably don't require much skill to pull off.

Fighting = Training of the body to train the mind. Also, there's a difference between fighting honourably than fighting dirty. Fighting having an advantage over Dark could possibly show that honest intentions are better than dishonest.

Fighting IMO centers around Ki usage, raw physical strength and trained/skilled physical combat, so it could include both "straightforward/honorable" and "dishonorable" combat tactics. Whenever person "fights dishonorably", I think maybe he/she's thinking up strategies to overtake a much more stronger or dangerous opponent rather than just rush head on to fight the aforementioned opponent w/o any planning or strategy what so ever; even heroes in some stories pull it off.

Moves like Beat Up, Embargo, Faint Attack, Payback, Punishment, Pursuit and Sucker Punch would easily fall under Fighting as they probably some degree of physical strength or skill to pull off effectively.

I think Fighting is SE and resistant to Dark because a very strong warrior can easily shrug off demonic possession attempts and isn't afraid of the dark as well. For instance, in DBZ there was this alien villain named Babidi who tried to possess Vegeta using the Majin charm, but was unsuccessful as all it did was boost his Ki level.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom