• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region?

Should Ash's main companions and rivals be replaced each region or kept around longer

• Total voters

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
Do you guys like that Ash bids farewell to his (girl)friends (and Max) after each region has completed? Or would you like to see him travel with the same characters for longer? (I know Brock has been with him a looong time)

Reasons to like change: Episode after episode with the same companions and rivals gets old after an entire season. New characters refresh the show and make it more appealing. It shows how kind-hearted Ash is when he makes new friends and challenges new rivals who don't believe in loving their Pokes. It is a good way to get the new game characters into the anime.

Reasons to wish for longer stints (or at least more frequent cameos): It would give the writers more time to develop the characters instead of them being carbon copies of each other (May Dawn). Maybe they could make a character such as Dawn a co-star character (as they are trying to now kind of) and they would have more time to feature her character.

What do you think?

Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

All of Ash's friends were around for at least 200 episodes, except for Tracey who was only around for 34 episodes.

I think they've all gotten good screentime. I just wish they did a clean slate altogether and ended Ash's story himself.

It's a shame because at this point it really does feel like the anime will be endless and they'll just keep shoving Ash off to one new region after the other, never giving us an ending at all.

I get this feeling we're all going to be in our 30's and Ash's story is still going to be going on.

Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

^ I'm in my 30's and Satoshi's storyline is still going. So nyah.

As for the question, I really don't care either way. But since they've been changing his companions that's what I voted for.

Reasons to wish for longer stints (or at least more frequent cameos): It would give the writers more time to develop the characters instead of them being carbon copies of each other (May Dawn).

I agree with this reasoning. One of the primary reasons I'd like a bit of an extension with characters is so that I can actually give a crap about them.

A good reference I'd like to use here is one towards Spiderman 3.

A lot of people complained about Spiderman 3, and randomly inserting both Venom and Sandman into the same plot. By doing so, they cut short both character's backstories and screen time. While it was an enjoyable movie, it was hard to really care about either of the characters, or get too in to their stories because they kind of felt unfamiliar or hasted.

So the most interesting and thrilling part of that movie ended up being the Parker/Harry plot. It was 3 movies worth of backstory, chemistry, and plot, v. 1 movie worth for the 2 aforementioned characters. As a result, it was a lot easier to care about Harry's story, and made it much more appealing.

With the improvement that the writers have seemingly had over time, I feel like we could've gotten greater dimensions out of the longer lasting characters. I mean, Brock's been using his breeding abilities more in DP, and now has great involvement with the Galactic Storyline through Croagunk.

But alas, other characters must come along to indeed advertise the next generation.

Another thing I thought of is that it would probably be hard to really develop the characters much without aging...

if we're supposed to assume Ash has been 10 years old since 1999, I guess it is smart for the writers to bring new characters to the mix. If Misty and Ash had been traveling together since 1999, it would sure seem like they are older.

Scott85 said:
All of Ash's friends were around for at least 200 episodes, except for Tracey who was only around for 34 episodes.

I think they've all gotten good screentime. I just wish they did a clean slate altogether and ended Ash's story himself.

It's a shame because at this point it really does feel like the anime will be endless and they'll just keep shoving Ash off to one new region after the other, never giving us an ending at all.

I get this feeling we're all going to be in our 30's and Ash's story is still going to be going on.

Please stop going into off-topic rants. Those last two paragraphs were completely unnecessary.

Keep it up and I'll have to start handing out infractions for spam.

Hmm, tough question. But I'll have to go with changing them every region. Keeping the show fresh is always a good thing.

But if all the new girl is every region is just another coordinator, I'm a bit worried they'll end up acting too similar or having too similar experiences.

I voted for keeping them longer.The whole concept of replacing girls with every new region just doesnt sit for me well.Sure change is good,but when it happens too often it starts to be quite annoying and unecessary.
I would rather like that writers focus more on older characters developing them who already has solid groundwork to work with,instead of bringing new ones with every new generation starting everything from start all over again,leaving others behind in dust being forgotten.This would bring some refreshment and unpredictabillity at least in my opinion for a change.

If this girl changing continues at this rate,than the place will very soon become very crowded(assuming everyone knows what i meant with this).

Thats why i didnt liked when Misty was replaced and left the cast during end of Johto.I still find this being a big mistake,because taking out a character whose story is left unfinished and when there is still left a lot of unused potential and room for further development(both in character and goal sense)to work with is just stupid.

Hmm, tough question. But I'll have to go with changing them every region. Keeping the show fresh is always a good thing.

But if all the new girl is every region is just another coordinator, I'm a bit worried they'll end up acting too similar or having too similar experiences.

How is a change in a character keeping the actual show fresh?

The current system is fine. I mean, the characters do get plenty of development over the course of one region, in my opinion. Just think of Brock, who has been around since the fifth episode, only leaving briefly for the Orange Islands, and yet he hasn't got much character development at all.

But maybe, just maybe they could make the next girl into something else? Although the current Coordinator system is good, and I can't quite think of any other roles for a new girl character. The girl (or boy) companion can't really be a trainer, because then they would have to have two matches with the same Gym Leader every time... of course, Ash facing off his best friend in the region's league would also make for a good story. So, I'm not really sure what to say, so I didn't vote in the poll.

But most likely they're just going to keep up with the current trend, and have another girl coordinator in the next generation, as well as one or several new rivals.

I personally thought that all the characters that left before being subsequently 'replaced', for lack of a better word, did indeed part at the appropriate moment, so if it's a trend that has to continue I suppose I'm all for it. I felt both Misty and May were pretty much 'done' by that point, and both were showing signs of wearing out a little, while Tracey wasn't really accomplishing anything even when he was accomplishing something. Having them cameo every once in a while was for the best, in the long run. Getting rid of them completely would have been a bad move, especially with a character like May, who is known to be making progress on a constant basis.

But if you're going to bring in new characters, you make sure they're actually new. As in, have them act new, and have them do things that are new. The problem with characters like Dawn, is that too many parallels are going to be drawn between her and her predecessor, and fans will point them out, even if they aren't there.

What about canning Brock (easy to do since he doesnt do anything anymore) and replacing him with a smart, perhaps nerdy girl who wants to become a Pokemon professor or something aside from battling or contests.

She wears glasses and in super nerdy towards Pokes. She starts to travel with Ash because she sees it as a good opportunity to learn about the world of Pokes.

She assumes the role of healing sick Pokemon, narrating during battles, and etc.

Then the new region's coordinator could be a guy. Ash taking some 10 year old boy under his wing, while the girl nerd travels along too.

Then the new region's coordinator could be a guy. Ash taking some 10 year old boy under his wing, while the girl nerd travels along too.

That's probably not going to happen though because people would assume that:

1. The new coordinator is gay since the contest quest is supposed to be a distaff counterpart to Ash's gym battle quest.

2. Demoting the sole female character to a support role from a co-star role would upset fans.

3. Introducing a new character solely for a support role hasn't really worked out before (i.e Tracey and Max).

While it would be nice to stick with certain characters more, the writers aren't really concerned with doing that, because they also have to somehow promote the newest games, since you know, the anime is an advertising vehcile for the games and the franchise.

They also replace certain characters because they still want the "newbie" element in the anime, having all the characters being experts in their field would only alienate people who haven't watched the show from the very beginning. Having a new character learning the ropes is a good way to introduce more people to the concepts of the franchise.

What about the idea of Ash traveling with two girls? The shippers would have a field day with Ash traveled with a girl coordinator and perhaps a girl trainer.

I really like the idea of Ash traveling around with a really determined girl trainer. Misty didn't have a real goal when she was with Ash...and May and Dawn obv don't care about gym battles.

It would be cool to have a young female trainer who is like Ash was when he first left...determined to catch every pokemon and become a master!

Ash could be the older wiser trainer and help the girl struggle through the beginning of her career.

Sure each gym battle would go twice, but they wouldn't have to show them all and of course Ash's battles would still be the focus of the show...they could just show the girl trainer losing and ash showing her its done.

What about the idea of Ash traveling with two girls?

Even though this sounds like a good idea to bring something new for a change instead of the same all formula it probably wont happen because writers dont want to have two girls at the same time in the group,and about idea with adding girl who would do gyms just like Ash does,im not sure if this would work out well.Having two gym battles against same gym leader in a row(even if it wouldnt be everytime)seems kinda boring.

In my opinion good idea would be to return one of older characters for maybe a season or two for a change.Like Misty perhaps with purpose of advancing her goal(through water based competitions or something),along with making further development with her character learning more about her.

Misty didn't have a real goal when she was with Ash...

Her goal is to become water pokemon master/worlds greatest water pokemon trainer.

Last edited:

It doesn't bother me. I mean changing Ash's traveling partners every now and then helps keep the show fresh and interesting, IMO.

It doesn't bother me. I mean changing Ash's traveling partners every now and then helps keep the show fresh and interesting, IMO.

Same here. I like to see new chracters and have them deveolp along with the current character (Ash) and then after the region is over, have the partner go their ways and maybe come back (Like May did in Sinnoh) for a while. Stops the characters getting stale, but giving them enough screentime to show them growing and devolping as a character

As long as they don't get rid of Brock, I think the current system is just fine. Although it would be cool if they kept the girls for longer. Get more...of a Misty feel to it. She was around for three seasons. Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto.

The girls are getting plenty of screentime, you have to take into account the larger roles May and Dawn were given, even if their total episode count is less. Besides Misty was only in the show about 1 year longer than May was, same reason she was in 5 movies and May was in 4, it was really just one more year because of how long Johto dragged on with its fillers.

May might not have gotten as much screentime as Dawn is getting now, but just look at her last arc in Battle Frontier. She was kept in almost constant spotlight that arc. She had 7 Contests, a 3-episode Grand Festival, a finale battle with Ash where Combusken evolved into Blaziken and they split the ribbon, new captures, and her rivalries with Drew and Harley were both handled extremely well that arc.

I was always happy with the amount of screentime May got. I like how even though the writers already knew they would be removing her for DP, they still gave her all that attention, her own ending theme song (with lyrics even, they haven't even played it in the actual show that much), and wrapped up her arc nicely.

It would have been nice if they continued the hoso's to give old characters some more eps, but sadly that obviously didn't happen.

Her goal is to become water pokemon master/worlds greatest water pokemon trainer.
Her goal was to get Ash to pay for her bike. The "water Pokémon master" thing was just tacked on later.

I kind of believe a mixture of both. Brock has overstayed his welcome, and Dawn replacing May was a fairly unneeded move, so there needs to be some middle ground. I think the characters should simply be replaced when they've run out of steam, and only then. Of course, this likely won't happen with the generation-dependent characters like Dawn, but with other characters it'd be nice.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom