• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region?

Should Ash's main companions and rivals be replaced each region or kept around longer

• Total voters
Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

Consider this. If May stayed in the group, how would the traveling in Sinnoh go? Wouldn't it be out of place for her? She doesn't have to follow Ash and Brock everywhere, she has her own goals. Plus, with a new region and all, people would start complaining why the new girl isn't there, and May would certainly look out of place. Ash and Brock adapt to each new region and the new girl comes along with it.

Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

How is a change in a character keeping the actual show fresh?

Ok, I didn't phrase that right. I just mean that a slight change in cast helps keep things a little fresh.

even though dawn's cute, I think every new region should have a new girl, also a new rival.

Her goal was to get Ash to pay for her bike. The "water Pokémon master" thing was just tacked on later.

Technically, she had that goal [The Water Pokemon Master thing], since "Waterflowers of Cerulean City" implied that one of the reasons as to why she left Cerulean Gym [aside from wanting to get away from her sisters.] was to try and become a great water pokemon trainer.

And even IF that wasn't a real goal, by that same token, Ash ALSO doesn't have a "real" goal either. (I mean, He wants to be the world's greatest Pokemon Master, which was never really defined, which is very similar to how a WPM was barely even defined OR focused upon.), and if we won't say that being a WPM isn't a "real goal", and thus, not Co-Star status, then Ash Also doesn't have a "real goal", and thus, is just as expendable as Misty is.

I kind of believe a mixture of both. Brock has overstayed his welcome, and Dawn replacing May was a fairly unneeded move, so there needs to be some middle ground. I think the characters should simply be replaced when they've run out of steam, and only then. Of course, this likely won't happen with the generation-dependent characters like Dawn, but with other characters it'd be nice.

Personally, I don't like the removal of ANY characters. But, if I feel that it's necessary, then they should have tried to replace ALL of them. I mean, really, Brock and Ash are both stale and worn. I don't really care if Ash IS the almighty star or not, Red was also played up to be such, and did that stop Pokespec's writers from replacing him? No, it didn't.

What about canning Brock (easy to do since he doesnt do anything anymore) and replacing him with a smart, perhaps nerdy girl who wants to become a Pokemon professor or something aside from battling or contests.
Tracey says hi. He wants his identity back.

How is that character any different from what Tracey was? Apart from their gender I mean. They tried the professor thing before... And it wasn't anything groundbreaking as implied here. So what would be the point of replacing Brock with a character that would possess some of his same qualities, with a different spin on the goal? Do you think the ambition to be a Pokemon professor would change much?

Brock's a highly intelligent character. He still provides the viewers tutelage, insight, and analysis to things that happen with the Pokemon. I'm not seeing the big difference here. It just seems like it'd waste a lot of time with all the explanation behind it and everything.

She wears glasses and in super nerdy towards Pokes. She starts to travel with Ash because she sees it as a good opportunity to learn about the world of Pokes.
Oh...Max wants his identity back. Again, how is that any different?

She assumes the role of healing sick Pokemon, narrating during battles, and etc.
So in other words... She'd contribute the same things Brock already does?

But question, how or what would she know about healing sick Pokemon? She's not a Breeder. So how would that translate over? Both those things Brock does, and it's actually well explained why he can act as the group's cleric. So it's easier on them.

'Cause what it sounds like to me is the same role as Brock, with a different ambition. That means all this extra screen time, development, establishment, and so forth, simply to have a character ultimately do the same thing. And with a coordinator still coming in, and the primary goals split between that and Ash's journey, the focus on her story wouldn't improve much. Unless of course, screentime was taken away from the coordinator, to which people would find reason to complain about.

I like the variation, but if we know its coming, it just gets boring.

But whatever, the story's about Ash anyway.

To be honest, I would not mind at all if they introduced more characters that didn't fit into the current "molds" that we already have filled out in the groups. Max was an interesting experiment to try out a character who wasn't confined to the "job" of having to own his own Pokémon. The only other character who would fit this kind of role is Meowth, who himself could be a unique character, being a Pokémon that can talk.

Actually, it would be kinda cool to see more talking Pokémon in the anime, have it as an extremely rare gift, almost unheard of actually. But more "realistically", I'd like to see more characters like Max, but "not Max". You understand where I'm going with this right?

But more "realistically", I'd like to see more characters like Max, but "not Max". You understand where I'm going with this right?
In other words, it'd be good to see characters that break the common mold, such as Max did. Yet, this character should be given greater qualities...or more of a personality than that of Max's?

Max may not have been a type that had been a regular character on Pokemon before, but he was still a stock character- the bratty know-it-all kid brother. He never did anything to make me view him any differently, and I was glad to see him go.

As for having new rivals for each new area- well, of course Ash will. I doubt his old rivals are going to chase him around like Team Rocket does, and any recurring character who isn't traveling with Ash is usually either a rival or an enemy. (Yes, there's a difference- Richie is a rival, Paul is a jerk... um, rival, Hunter J is an enemy.)

I just hope the writers try something new with the girls.

Ash and Misty reuniting would satisfy me though. It's been long enough that she would still be a new character to the typical 8-12 year old viewers of the current show, and many old-time fans would appreciate the nostalgic gesture I think.

Her goal was to get Ash to pay for her bike. The "water Pokémon master" thing was just tacked on later.

Did you even watched this series from start,because if you did you would know how this was her goal from beginning.During Kanto in "Waterflowers of Cerulean City" it was first time mentioned what is her dream,later saying numerous times what is her real goal(becoming worlds greatest water type trainer/water pokemon master).

Eventually when writers started taking more active approach toward her goal during Johto,you might want to rewatch Whirl Cup episodes.You might find something very interesting what has been mentioned about water pokemon masters.

Its interesting how people tend to forgett here,what are goals from cetain characters.

And with a coordinator still coming in, and the primary goals split between that and Ash's journey, the focus on her story wouldn't improve much. Unless of course, screentime was taken away from the coordinator, to which people would find reason to complain about.

Not necessarily.With good balance of screentime,its possible to give everyone in the group fair share of spotlight.
This can be achievable in two ways.Either prolonging the whole region a little longer,or cut down a little on Ashs or "insert girl here" screentime.

Of course this doesnt mean that im for replacing Brock,im just providing possible options if writers themselves decide to take on this route.
Besides if anyone think how Brock is ever going to be replaced,he has false hope.Its more than obvious that he is staying until the end of this show.

Last edited:

IMHO I think Max was a useless character. I liked it better when it was just 3 twerps...lol

As for having new rivals for each new area- well, of course Ash will. I doubt his old rivals are going to chase him around like Team Rocket does, and any recurring character who isn't traveling with Ash is usually either a rival or an enemy. (Yes, there's a difference- Richie is a rival, Paul is a jerk... um, rival, Hunter J is an enemy.)

There have been new rivals and recurring characters every saga.

Technically Gary's last saga as a rival was Johto. He had a long absence afterward and only came back as a researcher for like 2 episodes.

Drew and Harley were the only recurring rivals for AG, and as such, they were wrapped up when May's story came to an end.

Paul, Jun, Zoey and Kenny are the recurring rivals for this arc, and all 4 of them may be wrapped up at the end of DP.

Likewise the villain teams like Magma/Aqua were finished, and at the end of DP so will Galactic. Pokehunter J may continue into the next arc because she's not tied to any game, so she might progress.

People need to realize its not just the main cast that changes, its also the rivals and recurring characters. Status quo is actually constantly changing in this show from saga to saga, and it never goes back to what it was previously.

Did you even watched this series from start,because if you did you would know how this was her goal from beginning.During Kanto in "Waterflowers of Cerulean City" it was first time mentioned what is her dream,later saying numerous times what is her real goal(becoming worlds greatest water type trainer/water pokemon master).
That's not quite the beginning. From her debut it was obvious she preferred water Pokémon, and anyone who played the games knew she was a gym leader, but even after she had officially mentioned it in the 7th episode, it did not begin to consume her drive and become an analog of Ash's goal until later seasons.

That's not quite the beginning. From her debut it was obvious she preferred water Pokémon, and anyone who played the games knew she was a gym leader, but even after she had officially mentioned it in the 7th episode, it did not begin to consume her drive and become an analog of Ash's goal until later seasons.

...Didn't drive her until later seasons?! It was mentioned a few times after that, and she also began to have doubts when realizing mistakes (in "Tentacool and Tentacruel", when she figured out that Horsea was warning them about the impending (counter)attack from the Tentacool after it happened, she said in a disappointed tone "And I call myself a Water Pokemon Trainer/Expert."). When trying to capture something or do something during that season, she mentioned something about how it will help her to be a WPM (Like when she was going to capture Oddish for drinking [before realizing it's an abandoned pokemon], when she was going to evolve Eevee into a Vaporeon [before realizing that Eevee belonged to Mikey] and other things.).

Heck, everytime she introduces herself to a CotD/Nurse Joy, save for some episodes like Showdown in Dark City, she also mentions her wanting to be a Water Pokemon Master.

And anyways, when has Ash ACTUALLY followed up to his goal? I mean, even WHEN he won an actual league (Orange League), they immediately say he's not a Master, and probably never will be. Heck, if he were a Master, he shouldn't even BE traveling to get badges now.

Heck, the only goal that was actually defined in the Anime was the title of "Worlds Best Coordinator" (Seeing how they keep on saying that someone who wins the Grand Festival is the Worlds Best Coordinator.).

Driving her and becoming an analog to Ash are not the same. I'm not trying to say that Misty hasn't loved Water Pokémon from the start.

While having the same characters (rivals etc) for more than one region is good, it can get boring after some time. Introducing new characters allows the writers to explore new areas instead of sticking to the same old with slight variations.

In other words, it'd be good to see characters that break the common mold, such as Max did. Yet, this character should be given greater qualities...or more of a personality than that of Max's?

Not "greater" or "lesser", just different.

For instance, Max was part bookworm and part kid brother in terms of personality types. The new character could be similar in some ways, yet could be different in other ways. Like say, someone's younger sister decides to follow along.

Although I'm not entirely sure if people would accept such a character, but it's different from other characters encountered thus far.

Not necessarily.With good balance of screentime,its possible to give everyone in the group fair share of spotlight.
This can be achievable in two ways.Either prolonging the whole region a little longer,or cut down a little on Ashs or "insert girl here" screentime.

Of course this doesnt mean that im for replacing Brock,im just providing possible options if writers themselves decide to take on this route.
Besides if anyone think how Brock is ever going to be replaced,he has false hope.Its more than obvious that he is staying until the end of this show.
Well perhaps you could tell us how they could balance...

3 different journies, plus team Rocket's.
At least 18 different Pokemon of the main characters, plus Team Rocket's.
Advertisement of at least MOST of the new region's Pokemon
And plot advancement...

All in the same saga. It's a lot easier said than done.

Not "greater" or "lesser", just different.

For instance, Max was part bookworm and part kid brother in terms of personality types. The new character could be similar in some ways, yet could be different in other ways. Like say, someone's younger sister decides to follow along.

Although I'm not entirely sure if people would accept such a character, but it's different from other characters encountered thus far.
Ohhh, okay. So you were saying, another break in the routine like Max, but simply someone else? I think I get what you mean.

Driving her and becoming an analog to Ash are not the same. I'm not trying to say that Misty hasn't loved Water Pokémon from the start.

Excuse me, Ash isn't even analogging with himself (If I must point out, he still is going on his journey. I mean, he should have been a master by now, anyways.).

She's been driven to become a Water Pokemon Master since season 1, so regardless if it's analogged with Ash's goal (not that Ash's goal actually is focused or analogged THAT much, anyways, seeing how not only is he barely even mentioning it at all, but isn't even coming close to becoming a Master, anyways.), it was still a focused upon goal.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom