• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region?

Should Ash's main companions and rivals be replaced each region or kept around longer

• Total voters
Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

Well perhaps you could tell us how they could balance...

3 different journies, plus team Rocket's.
At least 18 different Pokemon of the main characters, plus Team Rocket's.
Advertisement of at least MOST of the new region's Pokemon
And plot advancement...

All in the same saga. It's a lot easier said than done.
Not entirely. There's a lot of filler where the main characters other than Ash take the back seat, while the rest of the focus goes to a character of the day. There's nothing saying the other characters couldn't have a stronger interaction with characters of the day more often, plus more episodes focused on them. I think many of the best episodes are the ones that focus on sidekicks and lesser characters. They can always make more if they want to increase their screen time. Team Rocket and the region's Pokémon are always features in the current formula no matter what, and there is barely any plot advancement how things are right now, so those things aren't really a concern when it comes to balancing.

Re: Do you like how the anime introduces new companions/rivals for Ash in each region

Not entirely. There's a lot of filler where the main characters other than Ash take the back seat, while the rest of the focus goes to a character of the day. There's nothing saying the other characters couldn't have a stronger interaction with characters of the day more often, plus more episodes focused on them. I think many of the best episodes are the ones that focus on sidekicks and lesser characters. They can always make more if they want to increase their screen time. Team Rocket and the region's Pokémon are always features in the current formula no matter what, and there is barely any plot advancement how things are right now, so those things aren't really a concern when it comes to balancing.

But DP has done that. It doesn't seem like it's too often anymore that a character doesn't undergo some kind of development or improvement during a TOTD episode. But it's still a lot to balance between all those characters. Ash, Dawn, and Jessie all have big roles. The first two more so, but Jessie even still. There's each of their Pokemon. Then there's Brock, James, and Meowth, and their Pokemon (save Meowth of course). Then there's the Galactic plot, Hunter J, or perhaps other things that apply to advertisement of the game.

I'd love to see these things balanced as well as any other, but sometimes it's gonna be a challenge, especially with all the different writers who do different episodes.

In my opinion, Brock's been handled better in DP thus far. He's had numerous featured episodes. And even when not featured, he still applies his medical skills quite a bit throughout the series thus far. Healing or aiding the gang's Pokemon when they aren't near a Pokemon Center and all. He's tied in pretty heavily to the Galactic Plot through Croagunk. He's gotten an egg hatch and evolution. Tag Battle arc, etc..., etc...

James could perhaps do more, but I could see why it would be hard to fit him in.

With that being said, I don't think changing the characters would improve the balance, writing, or handling any better. I think their predecessors would be just the same. The writers would remain, after all.

Even though this sounds like a good idea to bring something new for a change instead of the same all formula it probably wont happen because writers dont want to have two girls at the same time in the group,and about idea with adding girl who would do gyms just like Ash does,im not sure if this would work out well.Having two gym battles against same gym leader in a row(even if it wouldnt be everytime)seems kinda boring.

In my opinion good idea would be to return one of older characters for maybe a season or two for a change.Like Misty perhaps with purpose of advancing her goal(through water based competitions or something),along with making further development with her character learning more about her.

Her goal is to become water pokemon master/worlds greatest water pokemon trainer.

Introducing something other than coordinating and training would make introducing new characters and improving the story easier.

That's not quite the beginning. From her debut it was obvious she preferred water Pokémon, and anyone who played the games knew she was a gym leader, but even after she had officially mentioned it in the 7th episode, it did not begin to consume her drive and become an analog of Ash's goal until later seasons.

"Didnt consume her drive?"Aside from examples which Weedle Mchairybug already pointed out and aside from Misty mentioning it numerous times,she was showing interest in water pokemon along with trying to make further progress toward her goal striving to become water pokemon master.She also showed interest in E4 members like Lorelai idolizing her,along with having interest in participating in events for water types saying how this is going to help her toward her goal.

As i said more active approach toward her goal writers started doing in Johto,like that Whirl Cup but you cant blame character for his goal not being fully explored and focused on.That is writers fault,and is also needed to take into account how the case with competitions for water types isnt the same in every region.
Granted in Johto they could focus more on it,by having her compete in more competitions,but it isnt surprising why they didnt considering how they were doing mistakes at that time not even realizing that.

As for her goal being similar to Ashs,while this is true to some extent there exists differences between them.In her case that implies being one of the strongest water type trainers in the world knowing everything about that type,along with being recognized and respected worldwide.
Arguably it could be said that Mistys goal has been even more defined than Ashs is,considering how we already met in this show masters at certain types like Lorelai(ice type master),Lance(who is labelled as dragon type master) etc,along with water pokemon masters being mentioned during Whirl Cup episodes.

Well perhaps you could tell us how they could balance...

3 different journies, plus team Rocket's.
At least 18 different Pokemon of the main characters, plus Team Rocket's.
Advertisement of at least MOST of the new region's Pokemon
And plot advancement...

All in the same saga. It's a lot easier said than done.

Aside from options which i already mentioned like prolonging the whole region to be little longer,or cutting down on other characters screentime,another possibillity to allow this concept would be cutting down on some fillers and arcs allowing more screentime for better character interaction along with having more episodes focused on them.
Its achievable.

Another important factor which is needed to take in consideration is the nature of characters goal aswell.If certain characters goal is more connected with participating and battling he would receive more screentime than someone whose goal is more about something else.

Last edited:

keep 'em longer! or bring back older characters...i think the idea that Misty, Brock, May, Max, and Dawn are supposed to be his "best friends" gets lost the more new people that are added.

...i think the idea that Misty, Brock, May, Max, and Dawn are supposed to be his "best friends" gets lost the more new people that are added.

The thing is though, Pikachu has been proven to be his bestie. I know he's good friends with the rest, but the show is about him and his journey. If his mates no longer fit into that (they've gotta go places and have their own journey) there's no reason for Satoshi to follow them or whatever.

I'm all for replacements every series, as eventually all these characters do get worn out, and I'd rather they go while I still have some interest in them, than when I can't even remember what the point of their existance is.

She's not saying it doesn't make sense from the writers' standpoint, but from the characters' standpoint. They're awfully quick to ditch their good friends.

i hate it that they just add new characters instead

She's not saying it doesn't make sense from the writers' standpoint, but from the characters' standpoint. They're awfully quick to ditch their good friends.

Well at the same time, nobody said these characters had to travel with Ash for the rest of their life. Just 'cause Brock seemingly has nothing better to do but follow Ash everywhere doesn't mean the rest of them have to.

Besides from what we can see all of them still consider Ash their friend which is why they reunite at Pallet Town or mid-region every so often.

I dunno, I still think it makes sense. Take Haruka for example, she wanted to go and do contests in Jouto. Satoshi's already done the gyms/league there, so it'd be futile for him to go with her. (I won't comment on Kasumi, because I actually can't remember her departure since I last watched it years ago.)

Ultimately all the Pokemon characters have their own ambitions and goals. Just because they have to split up to acheive those, it doesn't mean that their frienships are necessarily undermined. I mean, these kids have all left families at home to fulfil their dreams, does it mean they love them any less?

I hate to apply real life to this show, but in the real world it's really rare to have a friend you spend time with your whole life. Traveling companions being cycled out is pretty realistic.

Yes, and like how Gary is no longer doing leagues, etc. It makes sense to see the characters change and do different things.

I actually would like to see Ash travel alone for maybe like 10 episodes or so, just to see how he does by himself and Pikachu.

i hate it that they just add new characters instead

Well, I'm sure if the Ash/Misty/Brock trio was still the main characters in the show, everyone would certainly complain along the lines of "it's not realistic and the characters are boring" stuff. I mean, people complain about Brock (for a valid reason) since he's there all the time but doesn't do anything.

So keep the current system, definetely. Dawn seems to be a Sinnoh exclusive and most likely she won't be around after Sinnoh apart from cameos.

I actually would like to see Ash travel alone for maybe like 10 episodes or so, just to see how he does by himself and Pikachu.

I'd really like to see that myself. Satoshi and the Rocket-Dan are my favorite characters on the show, and I always find episodes where it's just them facing off to be the most enjoyable.

I'd really like to see that myself. Satoshi and the Rocket-Dan are my favorite characters on the show, and I always find episodes where it's just them facing off to be the most enjoyable.

Yeah, I think there were only 3 episodes where Ash was traveling alone by himself:

- The first episode of the whole series, but TR weren't in that ep.

- The very last episode of Johto, "Hoenn Alone," both Misty/Brock had left and it was just Ash by himself taking a boat to Hoenn.

- "The Scheme Team" which was the first BF episode where Ash came home after the Hoenn league.

I think that's it, as in all the other eps he was traveling with someone.

i don't want to turn this into an aging discussion,

but when ash meets these new companions (may, dawn, future) are we supposed to believe they are the same age or that ash is older than them?

but when ash meets these new companions (may, dawn, future) are we supposed to believe they are the same age or that ash is older than them?

It's kinda hard to believe (especially with Hikari) that they're the same age, but they've given no tangible evidence for any of the characters to have aged.

I'd like to see Satoshi go alone for a bit too, it would certainly make for interesting watching.

I think that Ash's companions should stay longer than they should and just make the new generation girl a rival or a pokestylist that appears occasionally. It seems as if everytime I get used to a character in a series, they are dumped and forgotten with brand new characters. If this keeps on happening the new characters' personality won't be original anymore

I can't imagine the show keeping the same characters throughout the entire series. Even though I love and miss Misty and May like crazy, it's probably for the best that the writers didn't keep either of them any longer. Changing Ash's traveling companions and rivals helps to keep the show fresh.

Another important factor which is needed to take in consideration is the nature of characters goal aswell.If certain characters goal is more connected with participating and battling he would receive more screentime than someone whose goal is more about something else.

You keep saying that, but with no suggestion. So I'd like to hear then, what kind of goal could they connect to battling more, without that character being a lesser version of Ash (the trainer)? And the whole point of characters like Brock and James is to show that not everyone has to be fixated on battle. To show that there are other things outside of the typical trainers and coordinators. Brock is the group's Cleric. They're not going to change that just so we can have yet another character trying to shove their way into battles with TR. He battles when it counts.
----

One of the things that Pokemon has been very good with, whether intentional or not, is throwing diversity into the show in character goals.

We've had: A trainer (Ash), a type-specific trainer (Misty), a Breeder (Brock), a Researcher (Gary), an...illustrator/hopeful professor (Tracey), a Coordinator (May/Dawn).

Part of bringing in new characters is showing off these different professions and goals. Maybe next we'll have a Stylist or a Ranger.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom