• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do You Like Smaller or More Grandiose Plots?

Such a thing would be way more fit for a console game if you ask me. Adding gym fights to such a plot just doesn't feel right right. "Hey, I know we're being oppressed by an evil team right now, but you should just pretend like we aren't, and go become a pokémon master by earning gym badges!" It's like taking a citytrip 'round Europe during WWI.

Perhaps the Gym and the E4 challenge could be the done after you free the region from the evil organisation?

Re: Do You Like Smaller or More Grandoise Plots?

Stories aren't important to video games, it would mean focusing less on improving the core gameplay. Plus you've ignored my example of the repeated storyline for the Mario games.

To each his own. Personally I think that a good storyline is essential to a good game.

Such a thing would be way more fit for a console game if you ask me. Adding gym fights to such a plot just doesn't feel right right. "Hey, I know we're being oppressed by an evil team right now, but you should just pretend like we aren't, and go become a pokémon master by earning gym badges!" It's like taking a citytrip 'round Europe during WWI.

Who says that they'd pretend that they weren't? Though I'm not sure how the Gym Quest could be combined with a resistance against an tyrannical force-type story but there's no reason why Game Freak can't try it out. If it doesn't work, they can do something else.

Who says that they'd pretend that they weren't? Though I'm not sure how the Gym Quest could be combined with a resistance against an tyrannical force-type story but there's no reason why Game Freak can't try it out. If it doesn't work, they can do something else.

The thing is- what reason WOULD gamefreak have to make a more exciting plotline that made sense?

The target audience is 10< year old boys for the most part, and little kids probably wouldnt get a really big kick out of a complex well thought out story.

What does get their attention- big dragons, N being a prince, and saving the world with your own two hands. And lots of flashy nonsense, just to keep their attention.

"Grandiose" as in this evil guy is trying to take over the universe or he's trying to undo the very fabrics of time and space and stuff like that, then no. I'd rather prefer deeper (doesn't necessarily have to be complex) plots than grandiose ones.

I enjoy the smaller plots where the protaganist isn't saving the world. I think thats why I prefer Gen I and II and their remakes the most. It just makes the protaganist seem closer to normal. He or she is just an average trainer out to be the best and just ends up stopping a very small evil group.

^ AGREED. Pokemon isn't complex or dark enough to pull off a grandiose plot. What it does best is convince you to pit your power-greed against a small and equally power-greedy yet amoral group. The novelty is in the people, places and Pokemon. Not the saving of the universe, which every other RPG seems to exhibit as well.

^ AGREED. Pokemon isn't complex or dark enough to pull off a grandiose plot. What it does best is convince you to pit your power-greed against a small and equally power-greedy yet amoral group. The novelty is in the people, places and Pokemon. Not the saving of the universe, which every other RPG seems to exhibit as well.

The thing about RPGs is most of the time youre one of the select few people who can use (monsters , magic, weapons, etc)
In pokemon the save the world theme doesnt work out because, quite frankly, theres nothing special about the PC at all. you can catch pokemon and build an implied friendship with them, just like every other trainer out there.

In my opinion id like to see more "normal kid" themes like in I and II, get rid of the evil team altogether, and just go about my daily life as a trainer looking for badges or something like that.

The thing about RPGs is most of the time youre one of the select few people who can use (monsters , magic, weapons, etc)
In pokemon the save the world theme doesnt work out because, quite frankly, theres nothing special about the PC at all. you can catch pokemon and build an implied friendship with them, just like every other trainer out there.

In my opinion id like to see more "normal kid" themes like in I and II, get rid of the evil team altogether, and just go about my daily life as a trainer looking for badges or something like that.

But then the plot would be pretty uninteresting. My views are that the plot should simply be on a smaller scale, but more complexity and less linear plot. A couple posts ago, I elaborated on this "more complexity but on a smaller scale" concept. You can read that (or read it again) to view my opinions more in-depth (or cram it further down your throat because you already read it).

I don't think these games need a "save-the-world" plot. These games should just be about winning the Pokémon League, and catching pokémon. There's enough to do, anyway.

Smaller, like GS, but still emotionally tense, like BW.
Just beclaws a 10-year-old is off trying to become a pokemon master doesn't mean they can't meet some purrdy depraved ppl.

And when I say smaller, I don't mean exclusion of the organisations - just make their goals less frivolously lofty.

Albeit, I did immensely enjoy the whole apocalyptic weather thing of RS, but the organisations were still unmitigatedly paltry.

Last edited:
Smaller, like GS, but still emotionally tense, like BW.
Just beclaws a 10-year-old is off trying to become a pokemon master doesn't mean they can't meet some purrdy depraved ppl.

And when I say smaller, I don't mean exclusion of the organisations - just make their goals less frivolously lofty.

Albeit, I did immensely enjoy the whole apocalyptic weather thing of RS, but the organisations were still unmitigatedly paltry.

RSE's plot was OK because you werent they chosen one or anything, you were just a kid who was like "whoa dude, i should help"
The evil teams added to the story because they didnt exactly want to rule the universe, they just wanted more land/sea.

I just want another evil team that forms just for the sake of villainy, not to rule the world, but just to be annoying thieves like team rocket were.

I like the smaller plots better. GSC and HGSS have smaller plots. I liked it. All you had to do is stop Ream Rocket from reforming. BW had such a big plot. That's why I hated the storyline.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of people don't like the "grandiose" plots in Pokemon. Then what does that make Pokemon Special or other Pokemon Manga that can make good "save the world" stories out of the games it's based on?

Then again, I doubt about ever read one Pokemon Manga or a good story adapted from Pokemon that involved saving the world. The Anime doesn't really count for the most part.

Wow, a lot of people don't like the "grandiose" plots in Pokemon. Then what does that make Pokemon Special or other Pokemon Manga that can make good "save the world" stories out of the games it's based on?

Then again, I doubt about ever read one Pokemon Manga or a good story adapted from Pokemon that involved saving the world. The Anime doesn't really count for the most part.

It's great if somebody can make a good "grandoise" plot, the keyword being "good". If it's well-written, acceptable (as in it's not too overblown), interesting in concept, and not cliched (unexpected plot twists, creative story, good tone and mood setting, etc.), then that would be a good game. But in the end, people ultimately have their own personal preferences, and I personally prefer well-written, acceptable, interesting, and original smaller-scale games, whereas you like well-written, acceptable, interesting, and original larger-scale games, and that's fine. That doesn't mean people who like smaller plots like myself can't enjoy larger plots as well, but it is more difficult to convince us. But hey, Star Wars is a great movie series.

After having to go through that team plasma plot in b/w, ,I am pretty sure that I like smaller less grandoise plots. don't care much for the complex ones no matter how interesting the characters are.

Mmyeah. I like the bigger plots since they DO make the games more interesting. The storyline and plot are the most important things in any game for me. Of course, if the story happens to be good but the gameplay sucks, it doesn't help much - but if there's a good, deep story along a good gameplay, it only makes the game better. To be honest, the TR plot was just... So basic and boring and never interested me at all.
Though, as many other of you, the world-saving plots have already been seen too many times. There's RSE, DPPt and WB - and they all have the same scheme. Also, I don't think there's any movie that would not show Ash saving either the whole world or some smaller area. By the way, the 3rd movie showing Entei would've been great even without the weird crystal trying to take over the world.
And why has it always be the same bad guys/good guys thing.

Oh, I liked the WB plot though. It was deep.

Grandiose plots are much better. For Pokemon especially a grandiose plot would be excellent, even BW was lacking compared to other games in the RPG genre. I know, Pokemon has always been simple, but it needs its damn mythos to become more then a kid, 6 balls and 8 gyms.

I like the smaller plots better. GSC and HGSS have smaller plots. I liked it. All you had to do is stop Ream Rocket from reforming. BW had such a big plot. That's why I hated the storyline.

The problem with BW wasn't size of the plot, but the fact the plot was a major letdown. You have games with plots that are huge (MGS, etc.), but usually those happen to be interesting instead of being a shallow, unoriginal, "Kid saves world" plot. Had it had a decent plot, I wouldn't be so pissed off at BW.

The problem with BW wasn't size of the plot, but the fact the plot was a major letdown. You have games with plots that are huge (MGS, etc.), but usually those happen to be interesting instead of being a shallow, unoriginal, "Kid saves world" plot. Had it had a decent plot, I wouldn't be so pissed off at BW.
Worse of BW was that gyms were basically being given a different vibe and were apparently more plot important and second hand on the lead up that the plot left an even more bitter taste. Fancy buildings were not enough, that's for sure.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom