• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like that move effectiveness is now shown during battle?

Do you like that move effectiveness is now shown during battle?

• Yes

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
During the Sun and Moon demo at E3 it was shown that during battles, the moves screen now shows you which moves are (super)effective or not very effective. This is only shown after you’ve battled the Pokémon at least once before.

Do you like this addition to the moves screen? Why or why not?

I myself don’t really like it. I actually wouldn’t mind it in competitive battles, because there strategy is more important and having to remember the type weaknesses is just a hassle. In the main game however, knowing which move is (super)effective is the only challenge there really is. Imo part of the fun is picking the wrong move because you remembered the opponent’s type wrong, and learning from that.

It’s not that I’m against knowing the weaknesses, but I’d rather see a type chart you can open in the battle screen. That way you still have to do some thinking yourself. I also would’ve liked it better if it’s only shown after you’ve caught a Pokémon, instead of after just battling it once. Catching a Pokémon gives you all its info, so it makes more sense to only know its weaknesses after that.

I get that some people like this feature though, so I’m not totally against it existing. I just hope it’s optional, because it would make battling very boring for me.

Now from what I’ve seen this is a pretty controversial topic, so a gentle reminder beforehand:
Please respect each other and their opinions.

Last edited:
It's a necessity at a point in the franchise where there are 721 standard Pokemon, 38 Forms with differing types, and 48 Mega Evolutions. This isn't even including the Gen 7 Pokemon. Expecting new players to remember how 807 different monsters are typed and how 171 different possible type combinations interact with 18 different move types is unrealistic. It's really the dual-typing that makes it especially unrealistic to expect everyone to remember weaknesses, as that exponentially increases the actual number of types that you have to remember. In theory there are only 18 types but in practice there are 171. And memorizing all that is pretty much impossible. And unnecessary.

In theory there are only 18 types but in practice there are 171. And memorizing all that is pretty much impossible.
It is not hard to understand how two types stack. You don't have to memorize the type chart for every combination.

I think they should have added a type chart shown on the bottom screen during battles, and a Pokedex feature to identity the opponent's types. That would be better than telling us which move to use.

Last edited:
I like the addition, I think it's very child-friendly and especially helpful for people who might just be getting into the franchise and are having a hard time memorizing everything.

As far as the challenge is concerned, well, if the game doesn't provide you with a challenge, you simply create one for yourself. That is why people created a variety of Nuzlocke challenges. Pokemon games have never been particularly difficult and I don't see that changing in the near future.

I'm personally neutral towards it, but I get why it's there. It doesn't really seem that hand-holdy compared to other things like getting a free legend midgame.

Pokemon games have never been particularly difficult and I don't see that changing in the near future.
And also, basically that^.

I kinda like it, I've had myself being unsure of several typings several times. I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally thrown steel into water, it just doesn't make sense to me that water resists steel, but is not super effective on it. And I've only just gotten used to Fairy. And I actually feel the opposite to Soki, I'd hate to be in a major battle, and lose because I forgot and launched flash cannon at their Floatzel.

Honestly doesn't bother me. I'm nerdy enough to have memorised all the type interactions :p so having those listings on the UI isn't going to affect the moves I make.

It helps break down some barriers that newcomers might have at this point ("oh there's nearly 800 Pokemon to learn? I won't be able to do that) while also just making it more accessible to all.

I'm fine with it. I know that I for one occasionally forget what moves work best against various dual-typed Pokemon, especially since Fairy came into the mix. And as one said, with over 700 Pokemon, 18 types, 38 forms (some with different types), and 48 Megas, it saves you the time and energy to memories and/or search up what attack would be most effective. I mean, the human being isn't some sort of walking, fleshy supercomputer that can install countless facts and figures perfectly, sometimes you forget certain things. So I think it's fine. It's helpful, it gives newbies a leg-up, and it's convenient, especially with the staggering number of creatures, moves, and abilities this franchise has. So I say it's fine, it doesn't do any harm, after all, and it helps simplify thing for both new players and veterans. After all, it's not hurting anyone, is it? It's just a little bit of added convenience so people don't have to waste time Googling up something or pulling out a strategy guide and just streamlines the games.

I've never had problems to remember types, or if a move is super/not very effective so I don't really care, it doesn't really harm anyone and might be useful for children who are beginning to play.

So I think it's fine. It's helpful, it gives newbies a leg-up, and it's convenient, especially with the staggering number of creatures, moves, and abilities this franchise has.
That's an interesting point, would these suggestions take abilities into account? Would it tell you to use Thunderbolt on some flying type with Volt Absorb, or would it know this and know that Rock Slide would be the better choice? If not, that's a nice lesson to teach us, even if we've got the HUD showing us super effectives, we shouldn't just blindly follow it into oblivion.

I'm kinda mixed towards this new feature. On one hand I don't really care about it since I know the type matchups pretty well. On the other I'm fearing it's just another step towards making the games even more handhold-y. Next thing you know Rotom-dex will be bothering us with directions every other step, Gym Leaders will only have 2 Pokemon and the mascots will be given to us as a gift.

I don't mind it, but I don't love it. I'm sure I'll have it on throughout my first playthrough at least, just to make sure I take in everything the game has to offer. I'm hoping it's either limited to just main story play and things off of wi-fi (which I highly doubt), or there's an option to turn it off like most are suggesting. It's really not something I expected either but it's a great way to get newer players involved.

I'm looking to get my little brother (he's 7) his first Pokémon game this year, as he's taken a crazy interest and even explained mega evolution to me without me even mentioning it to him haha, he said he's been watching the anime on Netflix! (I don't live with him). So Sun & Moon are going to be awesome first games for him, especially with this new feature!

In some ways I think it's kind of a no-brainer. It's the kind of thing where I'm surprised that it wasn't implemented a lot sooner, or even from the beginning of the series. (Well, indeed it was somewhat available in Platinum, via the Pokétch.) It's certainly a great idea for beginners.

It doesn't read as hand-holding to me, because to me, it seems like a non-issue. I think it's safe to say that most of us are already quite familiar with the type interactions. Seeing the effectiveness of a move labeled on-screen only saves us the second of thought it takes to recall a single interaction, which isn't typically an onerous task. But even for those who do have trouble remembering how the types interact, nothing was ever stopping them from making a list before.

One may claim that it makes the game "easier," but I think the difference is pretty much negligible. I mean, do the very occasional moments in which your memorization doesn't automatically kick in and you cannot recall a given interaction really make the game *that* much more difficult? Or even particularly more difficult at all? I wouldn't expect so. Pokémon games are fundamentally pretty easy, hence the popularity of self-imposed challenges like Nuzlockes or monotype runs. As long as the games allow you to use virtually unlimited healing, virtually unlimited reviving, and continue to have limited and unchallenging NPC Trainers and monotype bosses (where the games also tell you, via the Gym guide, which types would be most and least effective), the sporadic lapse in memory isn't going to put that much of a dent in the difficulty.

As long as it doesn't destroy ability shenanigan Pokemon like brozong, I'm fine with it. Hell I still mix up type effectiveness with some old dual type Pokemon here and there, I am not afraid of admiting it. And anyway, its only for Pokemon you jave battled, so its not like you are gonna spoil yourself with typings for an uncaught Alola Pokemon you first saw in a trainer battle, that registers in the dex anyway.

I'm indifferent to it. I know my types pretty much off by heart anyway, so having them show it to me in-battle isn't going to make a difference. I do see why they'd want to add it, though. It'd make things easier on newcomers and newer players who don't have the experience/knowledge older players do.

Doesn't matter to me. I have most of the Type matchups memorized at this point. So unless the Type chart is getting another redo, I probably won't even notice it.

Yes, surprised this hasn't been done before.

It takes away nothing and adds convenience.

I'm totally fine with it, but only if we can turn it off. Part of the fun of a battle is making mistakes, or having to take a moment to remember types matchups. Having it spelled out for me is boring.

Like I can see the benefit it'll have for some people, but I'm hoping they don't totally cater to them and leave people like me out. Being able to turn it off would be the perfect compromise.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom