• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like that move effectiveness is now shown during battle?

Do you like that move effectiveness is now shown during battle?

• Yes

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
I watched the demonstration again since I didn't really notice it the first time, and my only worry is that the screen might become a little cluttered with all the extra wording. As it was in the video though I don't really mind, but things may change before the games are released.

In terms of the actual mechanic, I don't really mind at all.

I've been playing Pokemon more than a decade, and even I still have to occasionally check the type effectiveness chart during competitive battles, especially with regards to resistances for specific Pokemon. That being said, I don't necessarily like that the feature is going to amount to the game telling people to "use this move!"; coupled with the RotomDex, I could see that getting annoying.

And with regards to adding more challenges into the game, in XY and ORAS I personally turned off the feature where the player is notified of a trainer's next Pokemon before it actually switches in. That choice is available in the settings, if you guys didn't know. Hopefully people not happy with this new feature could turn it off as well.

The conversation about difficulty makes me really want Game Freak to bring back Challenge Mode from BW2, because I don't like or have the time for stuff like Nuzlocke. It'd be nice if that feature was available from the get-go, too.

I'll say this, the matchup-showing reminds me of F.L.U.D.D. telling you what action Mario can do at a given moment even though you already know what to do. I've played SMS for years, F.L.U.D.D. You don't have to tell me that I can ground pound to flip the gate, or press B to pull at Gooper Blooper's tentacles!
Being told what to do when I already know what to do is annoying in every video game, and Pokémon is no exception. I don't mind the early game tutorials as much because that's to be expected, and it's only a one-time thing anyway.

I haven't seen the footage (deliberately so), but IMHO the ideal system would be the game keeps track of what types you've used against which Pokemon and only shows those matchups after the fact.

As long as it doesn't spoil abilities as part of the opponent's battle strategy, I like it. It helps ensure I'm not making a derp move, and I personally don't feel (although I understand) that same appeal of trying to feel challenged into not making a mistake.

I haven't seen the footage (deliberately so), but IMHO the ideal system would be the game keeps track of what types you've used against which Pokemon and only shows those matchups after the fact.

It wont be there the first time you fight a Pokemon, I think. That's when knowing your types will help.

Heck it could even be turned off online if that's the case.

Yes, this is a helpful reminder to even the older players who may forget from time to time such as myself. I am sure that the developer made this an option not a permanent feature. However, if I am wrong, then it would a bit annoying and patronizing to some players though not a detriment to gameplay.

No I think with all the recent hand-holding and making the game easier for noobs, I think we should keep it the way it is right now. Easy but not too easy. I think they should allow it but with an option to turn it off in settings.

I feel neither positive nor negative about it. I have no trouble with the type effectiveness, but I think newcomers do find it difficult to remember everything. But then again, I learned it the hard way, so why shouldn't they?

But in general, I don't think it's too distracting. I think it's interesting to see how abilities will come in to play with this.

I'm completely fine with it. Pokémon Sun will actually be the first main series game I own and the first one I even play in years, so it's going to be pretty helpful.

Personally, I don't really care. It's a great mechanic for new players and a great refresher for the old. I mean goodness knows I've had to look up type charts a bunch of times because I forgot if electric could hit rock.

My only hope is that this is the first instance of having some sort of difficulty settings. Not how hard the game is, since like everyone else has said the games are simple for a good reason (it could be someboy's first game). But as in new trainer or veteran trainer sort of deal. Like you can finally turn off the unskippible tutorials after all these years.

It's not going to be any help for me since I've essentially memorised type relations but this is still a great addition for both newcomers and veterans alike. I have no problem with it.

Yes, this is a helpful reminder to even the older players who may forget from time to time such as myself. I am sure that the developer made this an option not a permanent feature. However, if I am wrong, then it would a bit annoying and patronizing to some players though not a detriment to gameplay.
Yes, that's the word I've been looking for. I don't like this feature because it feels patronizing. I do hope we can turn it off, because then the feature would be a welcome addition, given that newcomers would get good at the game faster. More competition is always a plus.

I mean goodness knows I've had to look up type charts a bunch of times because I forgot if electric could hit rock.
Oh the gen I lack of monotype rocks and the anime's misinformation! Made all the worse by the fact that the fossils (rock type) in gen I were actually weak to rock! Us veterans actually have some weird disadvantages because of early series weirdness.

Oh the gen I lack of monotype rocks and the anime's misinformation! Made all the worse by the fact that the fossils (rock type) in gen I were actually weak to rock! Us veterans actually have some weird disadvantages because of early series weirdness.

YES this so much. When I booted up the gen one VC games I remembered just how woonky type mach ups were back then. I was nine when I first played those games I'm 27 now and as a result I still think rock is resistant to electric. I sometimes forget ghost is good against psychic and not immune. And also poison is super effective against bug right? I've played every singe main Pokemon game and I still sound like an old foogy every time I try to remember WHAT type chart I should be using.

I'm indifferent. I once used a type chart when I was first starting out, but I memorized it years ago.
I don't really see why it's an issue at all. Countless big-name RPG's have displayed type advantages for the player to see during the fight. Dunno why some people think that it will "ruin the game" or whatever hyperbole is popular now. Why should I care that series newbies won't have to memorize the type matchups? It changes nothing.

Now if you don't mind, while I'm waiting for another "Pokémon is getting too easy" war to start, I'm gonna go get some popcorn.

Showing type effectiveness doesn't make the game any easier. It only tells players what they probably already know, or would look up online if they didn't. I'm actually excited because this could give GF an excuse to make the games harder. If they provide helpful tools like Rotom Dex waypoints/navigation and type effectiveness help, it might mean they'll (can) make the game harder overall. Other RPGs like Fire Emblem show type effectiveness for all weapons, and they're some of the hardest RPGs out there.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom