• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like the way the anime portrayed N/Team Plasma?

Cilan

Reaction score
(I'm a little late to the party so forgive me if this thread exists already.)

Episode N is going on in the dub right now and after catching up on it I think that they did a pretty good job with staying true to N's character and Team Plasma's goal. I was afraid that they would tone N down too much since he's a complex character that the anime hasn't dealt with since Mewtwo in the first movie, but they kept most of his backstory the same. It makes me wonder how the dub will handle N's two sisters, since they're feelings towards the relationship of humans and pokemon seem stronger than N's and I don't think the anime's brought something like that up before besides the things with trainers abandoning pokemon. One thing I wished they touched on more was N's relationship with Ghetsis since in the games he called him "father."

I love the way they handled N, he was even more fangirl-worthy than in the games :p Team Plasma was kinda meh, but I don't really mind because it's still better than the Hoenn fiasco.

Could've been better, but it could've been a whole lot worse. Heck, to me it's a miracle TP even showed up at all! :-D

You have to remember that they had to combine (and simplify) elements two storylines into one and combine the Show's elements into the mix to create something completely different from the games' story. The arc may not have reached its potential, but they very seldom do anyway. I for one will be satisfied & grateful with what we got.

Last edited:
I gotta agree Team Plasma was treated a lot better than team aqua and team magma of advance generation even tho, yeah it could have been a bit better.

Yeah of course. A bit rushed, but really nicely done when you think of the horrible League... -.-

One thing is that it seemed more like Episode Colress than Episode N XDD Colress was basically in charge of everything going on in Team Plasma, and surprisingly, his japanese and dub voice actors have been really good at portraying him, so it seems he's getting more focus than he originally should... not that I'm complaining XDD

Not taking the whole "glad it didn't turn out worse" thing into consideration, I'll look at this arc in a more unbiased angle, rather than sigh in relief that it didn't become another Magma/Aqua fiasco.

I thought it was an arc with a lot of potential, but ended up not really using much of it. N was an interesting character for the anime, but I sort of hated how he became a Pokemon punching bag in some of the episodes. More than likely an effect of not adapting the Plasma story from the first BW games, showing N as the faux-Big Bad who does battle occassionally for the greater good even if he hates it, and going straight into the "generic villains" territory of the BW2 games, which really only work well as an extension to the revelations made towards the end of the first BW. We're missing a whole bunch of aspects of the Plasma Gang in the anime that could have made them more interesting. Ghetsis's twisted father-son relationship with N? N's well-intentioned ambition of liberating Pokemon from human control as the king of Plasma Gang, but really a victim puppet of Ghetsis to serve his own ends of ruling Isshu? These are plot aspects that would have made the anime more interesting in general, but of course, we ended up with something more light - a carbon copy of Rocket Gang.

In the second episode of Episode N, N talks about the Black and White chapters of Isshu's Pokemon Mythology, talking about how Zekrom or Reshiram will lend its power to the Hero. I was sort of hoping that Satoshi would end up being aided by Zekrom once Reshiram ended up in Plasma Gang's hands - if he wasn't already going to battle it with Lizardon (something which would make its return a bit more significant to the arc). I wish Satoshi would act more like a main character of an anime for once, in the Pokemon episodes instead of just the movies, when it came to these types of conflicts... Zekrom, Lizardon... I don't care, give us a good battle against a legendary Pokemon, of epic proportions, with Satoshi in it, against an antagonist! Anyways, we ended up getting just Reshiram, with no signs of Zekrom or Kyurem anywhere. I... supposed they favored Black version? Anyways, a Lizardon vs. Reshiram battle would have satisfied me, but we didn't get that either.

Achroma was awesome though, so I give the anime points for that. Overall, I think this arc would have been a lot better if it were more than 14 episodes, and devoid of filler (I seriously could have done without the Merriep episode). Maybe they should have thrown some of the fillers we already had away and made this longer.... oh wait, no, that's just crazy.

Episode N definitely made up for the League. N and Team Plasma are the most well handled evil organization in the anime. The ending was rushed though since they were trying to cram so much into a few episodes but I find that the evil teams tend to get wrapped up fairly quickly so I wasn't too surprised. They kept N and his story very close to the games, even if they didn't touch on his relationship with Ghetsis very much. Speaking of Ghetsis, the only thing he really did was awaken Reshiram. It was Colress who did pretty much all of the work, though I did enjoy what they did with him. I'm just glad that they were handled well, especially N since he is a complex character. I also liked how his sisters got a bigger role in this arc than in the games. If the arc was a bit longer then they could have touched on a few more things, but overall this is definitely my favorite arc in BW and it made up for the disappointing Pokémon League.

I think it's pretty good so far (I'm like an episode behind on the dub). A bit rushed, but you have to remember that the anime team got thrown a huge curveball by that earthquake- it takes six months at least to produce an episode of the anime, plus the time it takes to completely rewrite whatever they had before for both the disaster and the sequel games... Given that, what we got isn't bad at all.

I've heard that the final battle against Ghetsis is something of an anticlimax, but this is Episode N, not Episode Plasma. Plasma's plots are an element of N's story and development, not the other way around. As long as the last episode uses the battle to showcase the changes in N's character well, I'll probably be fine with it.

I think it's pretty good so far (I'm like an episode behind on the dub). A bit rushed, but you have to remember that the anime team got thrown a huge curveball by that earthquake- it takes six months at least to produce an episode of the anime, plus the time it takes to completely rewrite whatever they had before for both the disaster and the sequel games... Given that, what we got isn't bad at all.

I've heard that the final battle against Ghetsis is something of an anticlimax, but this is Episode N, not Episode Plasma. Plasma's plots are an element of N's story and development, not the other way around. As long as the last episode uses the battle to showcase the changes in N's character well, I'll probably be fine with it.

It's not even Episode Plasma XDD you'd be surprised how much spotlight shines on Colress...

From what I've seen so far I think they're handling it pretty well. One thing I think would be really cool is if they had a few old Plasma grunts (the ones from the first games and the ones who support N in the sequels) stick around and help N out too, but I guess they felt that his sisters was enough.

From what I've seen so far I think they're handling it pretty well. One thing I think would be really cool is if they had a few old Plasma grunts (the ones from the first games and the ones who support N in the sequels) stick around and help N out too, but I guess they felt that his sisters was enough.

N apparently never was the Plasma-dan leader in the anime universe.

From what I'm seeing so far, Colress seems like a just another mad scientist regardless of how much they focus on him which is pretty sad since his motives are the exact opposite in B2W2.

Not a big fan of the anime versions of Team Plasma. I found it much more interesting in the games the varied viewpoints of the Team Plasma grunts and how Plasma split into factions in the sequels as a result. Gotta agree with Fang-tan here, the Plasma Grunts feel just like your regular 'ol villains in the anime. I don't like how the anime removed N being a part of Team Plasma and how he's not a trainer in this continuity. It was really interesting seeing him do what he hates for the sake of the "greater good", and how seeing Hilda/Hilbert's bond with their team made him a bit hesitant. As for Ghetsis, seeing him play N like a violin was so great. His charismatic, manipulative side also doesn't really show in this continuity because he doesn't really do anything except summon and command Reshiram.

I suppose you can excise the Seven Sages and the Shadow Triad if you want a very bare-boned adaptation. I think Episode N is quite bare-boned in its adaptation of Team Plasma. The game sequels didn't handle the Sages but it would've been nice if they got more than a cameo in the anime. Just as it seems Game Freak had no idea what to do with all the Sages in BW2, the writers seemed to lack any idea of what to do with the sages in the anime.

I did like how the anime had N travel with the group for a little bit, and gave his sisters something to do, but that's about it. There's so much that could have been done with N, Ghetsis and Team Plasma from the games, and the anime writers ignored most of it. I feel the writers had always planned on doing a bare-boned adaptation of Team Plasma. I had some issues with Team Galactic's plot in the anime (probably my biggest being the fact that we didn't get much in the way of battles with the Galactic Commanders), but I feel that they got a much better run than Team Plasma.

Last edited:
Taking away N's role as the King of Team Plasma really brings him down. Still, he was a good character in the anime.

That sucks. That was one of the key things about his characters in the games. I really wish they kept that in the anime.

That sucks. That was one of the key things about his characters in the games. I really wish they kept that in the anime.
Spoiler on N being the King or not
N WAS going to be King, but his coronation was interrupted. It's in the next episode

I'm also really loving Colress. I don't know if it's just because I really love his voice in the English dub or not but he's just a fun character. He is more of a mad scientist in the anime than he was in the games but I'm glad they didn't overdo it. I still think he's a great character, though if it wasn't for Ghetsis being present you would think that he was the leader since he's the one doing everything and Ghetsis barely did anything.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom