• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you like Victory Road?

To tell the truth, it is a time for a festival before the league in anime and in games and this what I will do in my own pokemon story

The only thing I like about the Victory Roads in all generations are the music (except for one track- Gen II's Victory Road) and sense of getting through something. Everything else about them is bleh. They tend to be nothing but a cave or numerous caves with Golbats galore, which I hate because they're so fast and they won't let you run. If Golbats didn't appear in the game, something equally fast and annoying would appear in their place. Having to know a bunch of terrible HMs to get through the damn places gets tedious and I buy a bunch of Escape Roaps just to leave if there is no way to fly out. Despite that last bit, the worst Victory Road has to be Sun and Moon's. I thought Gen II's Victory Road left much to be desired but geez. I love the adventurous music that plays, but there's nothing. Nothing but an ice cave and elevators. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon improved it but I wonder what made the Game Freak team decide to make it so barren and devoid of anything fun, especially compared to the rest of the game.

They should zazz up Victory Road a bit like they did in Generations V and VI. Less caves, more eye candy and more puzzles that do not require HMs but Ride Pokemon or something similiar in the future. How about instead of a cave, you have to get through a jungle or something else with pleasant scenery. I guess I am just tired of caves.

Despite that last bit, the worst Victory Road has to be Sun and Moon's. I thought Gen II's Victory Road left much to be desired but geez. I love the adventurous music that plays, but there's nothing. Nothing but an ice cave and elevators. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon improved it but I wonder what made the Game Freak team decide to make it so barren and devoid of anything fun, especially compared to the rest of the game.
It's bad, but in fairness the Alolan League had literally been established like the day before you go up the mountain, so there'd be some growing pains setting up a good Victory Road. It sucks, but it sucking makes sense in-universe.

No-Prize please

The most awful, borring annoying and the most one that I hate is the third season of victory road which is the hoenn region because firstly then you have to use flash, rocksmash, strength, watefull and every type of HM attacks and mostly then we don't give flash and rocksmash to strong pokemon then you have to choose two weak pokemons that can do these attack or at least one pokemon that can do every type of HMs or at least maximum of attacks. Secondly, every annoying stupid trainers are there and most of them have a very strong high evolution of pokemons and they mostly are in high Lv and some of them also use max potion of full restore; so I hate this season's victory road; And for that then mostly I need all of my pokemons to figt them and also to fight the wild pokemon that appear in that victory and mostly I lose and back until the beginning of the road because I mostly lose all of my pokemons by these stupid and annoying trainers or at least then I need a lot of max potion, full restore, revive and max revive so I can challenge them until reaching the leauge. The benefit of this victory road is that I can find Psychic Attack and some of my pokemons become more stronger little bit and I love challenging Wally.

Now, the time for sinnoh season's victory road which is also nearby to be such as hoenn victory road so I don't like but still it is much easier than hoeen leauge victory road. It looks like that i will back to there awful victory road again as i already in iron island jn shinning pearl but as i said then it much better than hoenn leauge victory road. Aldo the good thing that hidden move doesn't need you to go out and get pokemons for it only maybe flash.

It looks like that i will die before leauge or reach in second time cause multi polemons multi stupid trianer who can't reach leauge but want tk challenge me. Go up and challenge leauge if you are so strong as ypu think. Need multi full recover revive.

The most awful, borring annoying and the most one that I hate is the third season of victory road which is the hoenn region because firstly then you have to use flash, rocksmash, strength, watefull and every type of HM attacks and mostly then we don't give flash and rocksmash to strong pokemon then you have to choose two weak pokemons that can do these attack or at least one pokemon that can do every type of HMs or at least maximum of attacks. Secondly, every annoying stupid trainers are there and most of them have a very strong high evolution of pokemons and they mostly are in high Lv and some of them also use max potion of full restore; so I hate this season's victory road; And for that then mostly I need all of my pokemons to figt them and also to fight the wild pokemon that appear in that victory and mostly I lose and back until the beginning of the road because I mostly lose all of my pokemons by these stupid and annoying trainers or at least then I need a lot of max potion, full restore, revive and max revive so I can challenge them until reaching the leauge. The benefit of this victory road is that I can find Psychic Attack and some of my pokemons become more stronger little bit and I love challenging Wally.

Now, the time for sinnoh season's victory road which is also nearby to be such as hoenn victory road so I don't like but still it is much easier than hoeen leauge victory road. It looks like that i will back to there awful victory road again as i already in iron island jn shinning pearl but as i said then it much better than hoenn leauge victory road. Aldo the good thing that hidden move doesn't need you to go out and get pokemons for it only maybe flash.

It looks like that i will die before leauge or reach in second time cause multi polemons multi stupid trianer who can't reach leauge but want tk challenge me. Go up and challenge leauge if you are so strong as ypu think. Need multi full recover revive.

I think we really need to divorce issues inherent to the game design from these kinds of conversations to really give an accurate judgment on each one. Especially when it comes to HM usage, it's really unfair to knock some of the older regions for "too much HMs" when the real complaint is that you didn't want to sacrifice a move or party slot just to progress in the game, an issue that is fixed and hasn't been a thing since ORAS. I'd be very interested in seeing if your opinion changes on Sinnoh's Victory Road after BDSP because having HMs tied to the Poketch instead of your Pokemon should solve your issue here. Likewise, if we get a future Hoenn game and they replace HMs with something else, I suspect your opinion on Hoenn Victory Road's heavy HM usage won't be so negative.

I can see exactly why they opted for heavy HM usage in the older regions, it's because HMs were the easiest way for them to implement overworld puzzles into the games. Having things like a series of Strength boulders where you had to figure out where to push them and in what order, rock mazes with some that you could Rock Smash, mazes of trees with some of that you could Cut, etc. It made navigating the area more interesting and challenging. I feel like they're really thrown the baby out with the bathwater reducing HM usage in newer regions and that kind of puzzling level design has been lost, replacing HMs with Poke Ride/Secret Techniques/whatever is what they should've done to fix the issue to begin with while keeping the same amount of overworld obstacles.

It’s a good challenge and final dungeon, but they gotta be more creative with it. Who says it needs to be in a cave this whole time? I’m glad that gen V (bw2 in particular) and gen VII mixed things up by either having diverse environments or a new location altogether.

I hope they don’t get rid of it, but make it more open.

It’s a good challenge and final dungeon, but they gotta be more creative with it. Who says it needs to be in a cave this whole time? I’m glad that gen V (bw2 in particular) and gen VII mixed things up by either having diverse environments or a new location altogether.

I hope they don’t get rid of it, but make it more open.

Add 6th gen Victory Road to that list as that one wasn't fully a cave either.

BW2 Victory Road was definitely the best at having diverse environments by far. Practically every room of that Victory Road is some different, an underground ruins area, an outdoor valley area, a forest, a traditional cave, an outdoor mountainside. Having that large variety of environments with a large variety of wild Pokemon and a large variety of trainers really makes it feel like a true final challenge. It truly feels like a culmination of everything you've experienced throughout the game.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom