• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you mostly use your Switch docked or Handheld?

Do use your Switch docked or Handheld?

• Docked

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Handheld

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters
Handheld. I only played in docked a few times, and it was almost always Mario Party with my family.

Yeah, while docked is nice for that sort of thing, but if your the only person who plays video games (or are interested in different types of games compared to you), than Handheld is better in my opinion.

I primarily play in Docked mode, and only really play in handheld if I'm sitting out on the couch with my family. It's partly because my right joy-con doesn't always work correctly, and my Switch has a scratch on the screen (that it got like literally a month after the warranty went up). The other reason is that I also just prefer how the pro-controller feels to the joy-cons.

I prefer docked as it's less likely to damage the screen which is a big fear of mine, but recently I have been using it handheld very carefully.

Handheld 99% of the time. I like playing docked, but the dock is in my bedroom and I don't want to use it in the living room in case others are watching TV (or if I am; sometimes I'm doing both).

Most of the time I have it docked, but I use it handheld if I'm watching something on TV at the same time or when I'm on the move.

I usually keep it docked when I'm playing games that have dialogue-heavy cut scenes, since it also feels like I'm watching a movie at the same time on my TV.

Last edited:
Both, handheld for most of my VN's, Gunvolt, and now FE1. But for games like FE Three Houses/Warriors, Xenoblade, Smash, BotW, Under Night In Birth Exe:Late[cl-r], and any other RPG then docked. Some games just look better in handheld over docked and vice versa.

Though I sometimes play handheld a bit more, especially if I'm lying in bed since it's faster for me to turn off and put away.

I prefer to play in docked mode on my regular Switch (since the Switch Lite can only be played in handheld). I worry about the console getting damaged so I prefer to keep it docked for good measures. That and I love playing games on my large flat-screen TV, as both the sound and visual quality on it is very high. The Switch Lite is a bit more durable so I don't worry too much about it (especially since I have a travel case for it whenever I go on road trips), but I'm more cautious about the regular Switch, so I tend to leave it docked. I will, on occasion, play in handheld, but only for certain situations, like playing in my bedroom later in the evening so I don't disturb my bird when he's asleep (and both he and the TV are in the living room). But, generally, I tend to play in docked mode.

It depends where I am, and/or what game I'm playing.

If I'm at school I use it docked 99% of the time since I have a personal monitor that I hook it up to. I also have a dongle that allows me to use my Switch with bluetooth headphones (in either mode), so noise is not an issue.

If I'm at home, I'll play docked/handheld 70/30% of the time. That 30% comes when the whole house is asleep and I don't want to make a lot of noise (the Switch is hooked up on the first floor instead of the basement when I'm home), or if I'm playing a game that I don't want to get ridiculed for. :p For example, I'll play something like BotW, Pokemon, or even Fire Emblem docked, but I wouldn't play something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Catherine Full Body docked. (Not to say that TMS or Catherine are bad games by any means, just that I wouldn't feel comfortable if my parents or my sister walked in the room and saw me playing them :p)

I've mostly just been sticking to docked mode, but there have been the occasional times when I used handheld mode; and there may be some games that I'd rather play as a handheld.

I voted docked because that's preferred/go to way to play. However, given my fiance and I currently have one TV for both of us, I end up playing in handheld more frequently than i otherwise would.

Handheld, because I have a Switch Lite.

I think most of the time I play handheld. There are exceptions - mainly BOTW and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Most games I play almost exclusively handheld because playing on the TV is harder on my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom