• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you mostly use your Switch docked or Handheld?

Do use your Switch docked or Handheld?

• Docked

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Handheld

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters
Due to the flimsy internet connection on first-party games, I used handheld most of the time, but now that Nintendo finally replaced their really old server provider (no really, it's 18 years old) with a much newer one, I might start playing docked more.

Aside from the first hour I'd owned Pokemon Let's Go Eevee, and about 30 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey I've played/only play handheld. To me it's just like playing a bigger Gameboy Advanced (with much better graphics, of course) and after playing Pokemon for over 20 years strictly portable (aside from side games like Stadium) it feels odd to play it anyway besides playing it handheld still.

Docked probably 85% or more. I only go handheld if I'm exercising on a stationary bike or in few other situations. And my Switch never leaves the house. If I have the power to play games on my TV, I'm going to do that, especially when the Switch is not that comfortable to actually hold in handheld and I think it's way too big for me to even really think of it as handheld at all. PSP-size is about the upper limit for a handheld size-wise for me.

I prefer to play in docked mode whenever possible (though Joy-Con drift has semi-defeated my ability to play in handheld mode as it is until I can do something about that). I was pretty tickled about the idea of a mainline series (and a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon) game on the big screen at last, and have really liked playing Rescue Team DX on the TV. Puyo Puyo Tetris is one of a few games that I don't mind playing in handheld, however.

Docked, because the joycons' tiny, hard buttons hurt my fingers after a period of extended play. I don't play it enough either to buy third party joycons that are better designed. This may change with the release of Legends Arceus [which is my first Pokemon game on the Switch due to my lack of interest in the previous entries], but I still plan on playing mostly docked due to my controller of choice [PS4] being far more comfortable.

Last edited:
Honestly handheld, cause someone else is usually using the tv or would be able to see everything I’m playing. It feels kinda weird cause they’d always be commentating over my gameplay.

I have no problem playing in handheld sometimes, but I mostly play it docked. I just think it's more comfortable that way, since it's easier for me to see and I can use whatever controller I want without it being a hassle.

In Pokémon specifically, I greatly prefer docked mode for most things, but I always switch over to handheld when doing something tedious like hatching eggs or soft resetting. Handheld just feels better for that. It always feels a little weird seeing it on my TV, and it probably looks even weirder to someone watching it :р

-snip from December 2020-
My, how things have changed.

I used to play docked most of, if not all of the time. Although by last year's Switch Year in Review, this remains true, the actual ratio was about 55/45 docked/handheld. However, in more recent months, my play has shifted more and more towards handheld (partially as a result of my sister not being home anymore, so I only have one dock available to me that I keep on the downstairs TV).

The bigger reason for this, however, is that I upgraded to an OLED. And man, does that really make a difference in how I play! It's a lot more fun to play in handheld with the brighter and more vibrant screen, as you might expect, but another feature that often goes unnoticed is the improved kickstand! Now, it's far easier and more comfortable to play in tabletop mode (which is technically still handheld mode) for those times when I just want to use a nice controller, or if my hands hurt from holding the Switch (which, yes, this does happen sometimes - moreso with my Switch than with my 3DS, actually. I think it's because the system gives off more heat). The incredibly flexible kickstand also allows me to play it in bed in tabletop, if I wanted to, by propping it up on top of a pillow or something like that.

So, yeah, my answer shifted in this poll in the last year. Kinda cool!

Personally I prefer playing in docked mode because my hands start to hurt from holding my Switch for even shorter periods of time in handheld mode, though I don't get to do so as often as I would like as my nephews are almost always at my house, and if they don't have access to the TV, they start screeching. ^_^; So whilst it isn't my first choice, I tend to play in handheld mode more.

I did used to have my Switch set up in my bedroom, where I almost always played in docked mode... however, that changed when my mum asked for Ring-Fit for her birthday, and I had to relocate downstairs. Maybe one day I'll invest in getting her a Switch of her own so that I can have my sweet, sweet docked mode back.

Back
Top Bottom