• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

• Total voters
I usually only nickname the ones I'm going to trade to my other games. I've got quite a few odd names for them.

I had a Gloom named Dungbomb that I traded to FireRed, and and Oddish named Odd Radish that I traded to Sapphire. There were a bunch of others, too, but these ones are my favorites.

i always name them. i name them cool ancient roman and greek names;
ex.
"Achilles" the Swampert
"Aurora" the Swellow
"Octavia" the Azumarill

It's really great, and latin dictionaries are very useful.

Like I said before, I usually only nickname the ones I'm trading. The most fun part is having the new trainer (assuming you're trading to another person and not just another one of your games) be stuck with your nickname forever, so the more stupid the name, the better.

I also liked nicknaming the ones on R/B/Y and G/S/C, just to see what colors they'd turn if I used them in battle on Pokemon stadium. I ended up with a red Pikachu once, but I can't remember what it's name was. It was funny to see, though.

I am currently playing a game for fun. Female trainer. All female Grass pokes. Julianne, which currently a Grovyle; Teresa, currently a Nuzleaf; Grace, the Breloom; and Petunia, currently a Gloom.

Please don't castrate me. I originally made this game so that I could at least end up with a female Sceptile for the male one currently on my team, and I would not accept a bred one. Also, I was bored, so monotype fun.

AshKetchum17 said:
Like I said before, I usually only nickname the ones I'm trading. The most fun part is having the new trainer (assuming you're trading to another person and not just another one of your games) be stuck with your nickname forever, so the more stupid the name, the better.
LOL, AshKetchum17. XD

Hehe......

Yeah, I never thought of doing that, but it would be really funny. XD

Anyway, I forgot to mention that another reason I don't nickname my Pokemon is because I really like the original names that NOA gives them (and also NOJ, if the Pokemon kept its name). They come up with some really cool and creative names for all the Pokemon in the games, and I love that. ^_^

I never do the first time around, but sometimes I nickname them if it's like my thrid time going through the game

I nickname any Pokemon that ends up on a team of mine as opposed to a dust collector in the PC.

When I had Pokemon Emerald I'd nickname my faves and also try to nickname some others. I sold my Emerald version(because I got tired of the cruddy EV caps)but I'll most likely get Crystal version again and then I can start building up my team again:)

My Blastoise is named Bubbles, mainly because it's a female. Seriously, female starters are rare by themselves. I also nickname my Nidoking "Spike" for obvious reasons, unless I trade with the computer players on my LeafGreen version. I've also nicknamed my Paras "Tochukaso" after a mention in Paras' Dex entry for Silver version.

Moving right along, I have an Electrode named "Boomer" after its attacks. And for my Ruby version, I nickname my starters...
Clayface - Mudkip
Heatman - Torchic/ Buster-Combusken, Blaziken
PlantMan - Treecko
Um...oh yeah. I have an Aron named Metalhead and a Cubone named Bonehead, once again, for obvious reasons.

I tend to nickname my pokemon after I've had them for awhile. I know in Crystal my team has all their nicknames, though in Ruby I just started working on it, so they don't have names yet.

Of course I do, at least for the Pokémon in my team. Those I catch just to fill out the Pokédex tend to be neglected...

For the longest time my nicknames were highly unoriginal, though (Blaze the [insert fire starter here], Volt the Manectric, Jolt the Jolteon, Aqua the [insert some random water Pokémon here], and so on). Lately, since I’ve started writing my fanfic wherein the two main characters’ Pokémon are named after angels (with the exception of one), I’ve been following suit with my Pokémon names in the games (Zethro the Quilava, Matariel the Absol, Jehiel the Linoone, and so on) so they’re much better now. I absolutely adore angel names...

Heh, I tried it about halfway into Emerald. ...not a pleasant experience. I named my Treecko "Geico". Poor thing. :p

In RBYGSC, I didn't bother unless I wanted to see my Pokes in different colors on the Stadium games.

In in the 3rd gen, I started nicknaming my party members, although I'm lazy so I generally just gave them their Japanese names and left it at that. With the exception of Emerald, where I'm starting to get semi-creative by using names from other things I like. (mostly Bleach and Furuba so far. Zangetsu was too cool of a name to pass up for my Grovyle, Mightyena's not a cat but I named her Yoruichi anyway, I named my Linoone Hatori for no particular reason other than liking the character, and Ritchan was the only suitable name for a male Gardevoir that I could think of. XP I was going to name my Graveler "Chad", but it seemed too...plain. And "Sado" doesn't seem right since the Chad from Bleach is almost never called that...)

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom