• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

• Total voters
Most of the time, yes. Sometimes I even try following some kind of theme with their names, such as was the case with a recent replay of Let's Go Eevee, where I named everyone after breakfast foods:

Biscuit (Eevee)
Omelet (Fearow)
Toast (Charizard)
Butter (Jolteon)
Hash Browns (Hitmonlee)
Yoghurt (Lapras)

Yes, I've always nicknamed my Pokémon, ever since I started. I don't always put as much thought into each name as I used to, but I think it makes each one a little more special, and it's fun to come up with something that fits each one.

I don't actually refer to them by their nicknames though, at least not anymore. For example, my current Platinum run's Empoleon is named LINUX, but if I bring it up in my head or to others I would probably just say "my Empoleon" rather than its name. I used to do that when I was younger, but honestly it's just easier not to nowadays...

It depends on which games I'm playing and also how close I feel to my Pokemon. That's why in my 1st games I used nicknames because I was more passionate about my teams back then but not so much anymore...

I voted No, but I would say that in a very rare exception I might nickname one, but I can't remember the last time I even did that. That requires too much creativity. :p

Yes, I always nickname mine, even before I start breeding for the teams, I always look up names, so I'm always prepared and ready

always have a male and female name ready

Pokémon that I'm using have always nicknames in English games. In German games, I sometimes have non-nicknamed Pokémon in my team (I think that some German Pokémon names are cute, like Schwalbini, Arkani, Evoli...).

But nicknames of my Pokémon aren't very original - sometimes just one letter or a human name. Or a Pikachu nicknamed Ash.

I used to name my favorites after foods! Sweets especially lol. But nowadays I don't tend to nickname them as much since it bothers me when some are nicknamed but the rest aren't, and it's too hard thinking of good names for so many Pokémon lol. But for story teams, a full, nicknamed team is cute. <3

I don't nickname my Pokemon. I drop playthroughs for months at a time, and every time I come back to a playthrough, if the pokemon are nicknamed I just cringe and hate the names and have to restart the whole file; changing the nicknames doesn't help, because it's so hard to think of fitting ones. I've grown tired of playing to the second or third gym, taking a break, and needing to restart for this reason. And I find more personalization in the team synergy and the movesets than in the nickname, generally.

a part of me wants to, but if i'm going to nickname a particular pokemon, i want it to be after a theme... if that make any sense. @_@ like, if i'm going to put that pokemon in my team, i want my entire team to share a common theme in nicknames. problem is, i'm not creative enough to do that, so i end up not bothering.

Generally not, no. It just hasn't been my thing. The only exception was the time I attempted a Nuzlocke challenge in Y - and I believe I later just had the Name Rater undo that.

I recently nicknamed some pokemon before trading them via magic trade (I'm not sure if that's who it's called in english, in german it is called Wundertausch (Zaubertausch since gen 8), I gave them German names that are totally out of date, like Lutz or Eberhard. Also, I called a Feebas Käpt'n Iglo - Käpt'n Iglo is the name (and also the mascot) of a brand that is famous for its fish sticks.

I nickname a lot of Pokemon, if it's extremely special like a legendary I wont, but sometimes I name them.
Other times I have naming themes like gemstones or Japanese and English words that represent the Pokemon, I also name every shiny Pokemon I find.
Some of the pokemon I've named are:

Jūryoku the Orbeetle
Malachite the Shiny Salamence
Chrysoprase the Shiny Dragonite
Granary the Appletun
Fukurō the Decidueye

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom