• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Do you pay attention to pre release hype?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Regardless of opinions on spoilers, every game has pre release info, and whether that in of itself is a spoiler is up to the individual, but I’m asking this. What’s your take on pre release info/hype?
Personally I pay attention to it but don’t get hyped, if I pay attention to something that way I can know what I’m buying and if I don’t hype it up I don’t set myself up for unrealistic expectations that were never going to be met in the first place, (I used to do the latter though).

Depends on the game, if I'm interested in it then I'll keep up with info on it but I usually won't get hyped unless it's a series I really love, then I'll probably be hyped. If it's a game from a series I have no or very little experience in, or if it's a new IP, I might give it some attention but usually I forget about it until the day of or a few days before release.

I hate hype trains and the like. I'll probably watch initial gameplay trailers or similar to at least understand the core concept and premise of the game, but anything after that I don't.
Why get unrealistic expectations and get disappointed?
Take Cyberpunk 2077, everyone is acting like it'll be the best game ever, I've only seen a few videos about it, sounds like my kind of game, I don't need further information and rumours to make it come across as something it's not. That way I'll enjoy the game a lot more by knowing less about it.
I fell for the SwSh hype a bit and was greatly disappointed that I've just given up on the franchise, I at least expected it to be the same if not better as previous games, but I guess I had my expectations too high from the Switch and new game hype.
Basically when it comes down to it, I like to keep my expectations low so I'm never disappointed in the end product because it'll always be better than I expected.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom