• Snowy leaves Circhester and heads to Spikemuth. Watch here as his Rotom Bike learns to swim...somehow.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

Do you play Japanese-language video games?

is back for 2014
Reaction score
Here'ya all, I'm back here. Do you play video games in Japanese-language? And, did you play Japan-exclusive video games that are not released in Japanese?

For me, I had tried some Japanese language video games, and even played Japan-exclusive arcade games, although I'm not a Japanese. Some of them I played in Japanese were Wangan Midnight R (arcade game), Winning Eleven (Japanese version of Pro Evolution Soccer) and Tokyo Wars (also arcade game). Some Japanese-language games I have seen, but never played, are Taiko no Tatsujin, Super Robot Taisen and Drum Mania.

Do you all play video games in Japanese?

(The meaning of the title also covers Japan-exclusive video games and Japanese language video games. The former one is to meant those games whose never released in other languages, while the latter one refers to the games which made in Japanese for Japanese consumers while releasing in other languages for different customers.)

Reaction score
Only Pokémon ones, but I usually play them in English because it's harder to get them in Japanese and they're all region-locked now.

Official Link Fanglomper
Reaction score
Yeah, I have. I have a Super Famicom, so naturally the games would be in Japanese. lol

I have played Japanese Pokemon games. With the DS, no region lock.

There is only one king!
Reaction score
I played Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Tag Force 6 which came out in Japanese only (thank you for the no region lock PSP)

Somalian Anarchy Leader!
Reaction score
For a while, I played MOTHER 2 in Japanese (not much, only twice, on MOTHER 1+2 and the Super Famicom version).

Reaction score
I'm a big rhythm game fan so I've played several games in Japanese and own several imports as well. Pop'n music being most notable as I'm a huge fan of that, though I'd say Ouendan is my most favorite rhythm game of all time. I do have a few others that aren't rhythm games though, but they are much harder to play due to having much more text and in Japanese.

Never Giving Up.
Reaction score
Of course, since I do own a Japanese PS2. Favourite games on that baby are Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd, School Days LxH, Katamari Damashii, and Pop'n Music 10.

For my PSP, I currently only have Uta no Prince-sama: Repeat, but I do plan on getting many more games for that system.

grass princess
Reaction score
Honestly, the closest I've ever come to playing a game in Japanese was switching the language in Super Smash Bros. Melee from English to Japanese. Other than that, no, I don't.

On hold, not abandoned
Reaction score
I switched both Sonic Adventures to Japanese audio, plus an old Yu-Gi-Oh game on my GBA (Stairway to the Destined Duel, at least, comes in six languages)
Otherwise, I've never played any untranslated, imported games

Show me more!
Reaction score
I believe I once played a bleach game that was in japanese but other than that no I haven't. Due to not knowing the language I stick to english games since I like to read everything people say.

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
I have Japanese versions of Pokemon HeartGold and Black. I bought them out of impatience in waiting for the games to come stateside. Nowadays, I see them as a fun way to get the Japanese language to stick in my head a little better.