• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you prefer regional variants or convergent species?

Your choice?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
We've had regional variants of Pokémon ever since Sun and Moon introduced the concept to us back in 2016. But as of Scarlet and Violet, a similar phenomenon has recently been discovered — convergent species! They're Pokémon that might appear very similar to another, but unlike your typical variant form, the species are said to be separate and unrelated to each other. We currently have only two of these, Wiglett and Toedscool (but one resembling Magikarp was apparently scrapped before release).

Which of these ideas do you like more? Are convergent Pokémon basically just another regional form to you so far, or are there enough differences to set them apart? What kind of potential future do you think the concepts have?

Convergent species are a much easier-to-understand concept, regional variants could make breeding and evolving in some games weird. Convergent keep the spirit of the idea without it being mechanically confusing at all, and I hope they focus more on them going forward.

Last edited:
Controversial opinion but I think Convergent species had a terrible start. All they did was taking two boring and overexposed families from Gen 1, changing their environment and types and calling it a day. The idea is not bad, but they need to step up their game and taking the designs in not a radical different direction and not making them predictable. But even then, I don't like that they have their own Pokedex numbers, and I feel they could be responsible for Hisui and Paldea's type changes in their regional forms to be less radical.

Therefore I prefer regional forms, they have had their flaws (how come we still don't have any Pokemon that turned into a Water-type or a Flying-type?) and their ugly ones, but they are fun and versatile enough.

I'm not sure I understand the difference aside from convergent species being new species in the Pokedex. I couldn't see why the convergent species in S/V could be their own Pokemon but my favorite Pokemon - Galarian Rapidash couldn't be.

Convergent species might be preferable if not only because it seems more likely they'll appear in future games freely to catch in the wild. Whereas regional variants tend to be relegated to in-game trades/quests or just aren't ever available. =(

I'm not sure I understand the difference aside from convergent species being new species in the Pokedex. I couldn't see why the convergent species in S/V could be their own Pokemon but my favorite Pokemon - Galarian Rapidash couldn't be.

Convergent species might be preferable if not only because it seems more likely they'll appear in future games freely to catch in the wild. Whereas regional variants tend to be relegated to in-game trades/quests or just aren't ever available. =(
Convergent species are supposed to reflect convergent evolution: the real-life phenomenon in which two different animals evolve into having a similar body plan and lifestyle despite coming from a different ancestor entirely.

For an example: the now extinct group of marine reptiles known as Ichthyosaurs are considered a convergent, reptilian equivalent of the mammals known as dolphins; owing to similar body plans streamlined to fit an aquatic life, having adapted to live entirely in water when their ancestors once lived in land.

There was an image on wikipedia (on the Ichthyosaur page that better demonstrated the comparison; but it broke on me so I guess I'm using this image from Chegg.com

For an example involving the context of Pokemon: Wiglett resembles Diglett because they both ended up developing a similar physiology because they both are creatures streamlined to live as burrowing creatures with big noses, but they aren't variants of one another because Wiglett is an eel while Diglett is a mole.

Last edited:
I prefer convergent species personally. I just like the idea of actual, realistic evolution and adaptation in the pokemon world.

Regional variants since convergent species feel redundant and look like the same pokemon with a fresh coat of paint, but they are trying to make me believe that they are oh so different that they deserve their own number in the pokedex.

I think I prefer regionals honestly. It's a pretty easy concept to grasp plot-wise at least and I think it'll be less limiting as a concept design wise.

I get convergent evolution is a real thing, but here in Pokemon it's exaggerated to quite a degree. I feel like they can only pull the "oh this only looks like that Pokemon but is unrelated" so many times before it gets kinda silly, especially if they start doing it to the more animalistic ones.

Regionals are one of my favorite things about modern Pokémon and I really hope they aren’t phasing them out in favor of convergents. The one thing I will give to convergents, though, is that you can “legally” use both Dugtrio and Wugtrio on a team. Fire and Ice Ninetales can only coexist in casual battles.

Ultimately I think the two can and should coexist, which is more than I can say for Paradox mons.

so far, i prefer regionals

i mean, there's been a lot of very solid regional pokemon

• most, if not all of the hisuian variarnts
  • alola regional forms also slap
  • most galarian regional variants are also really neat designs/concepts

toedscool and wiglett lines are ok i think, but neither have really left any actual impression on me whatsoever so i'm hoping if convergent species do continue that they release with more interesting ones. s:

i really don't mind them co-existing though as battista mentioned, though.

I like both, but I think that the last few games, and the Pokémon world to some extent, are already full and saturated with regional variants. So, personally, I would give more space to convergent species.

Last edited:
both are good, but i think just as a concept i find convergent species more interesting... i just find the idea of two completely separate things evolving to look similar very cool. i do think they should coexist; they're based on real life concepts that coexist, so i don't see why they couldn't continue doing both in game too, and i'd like to see more of both as well.

Raichu, Alolan form.
I think they should have introduced regional variants a long time ago. I can think of others that need a variant, such as Eevee. Although it may knock some people's socks off, I think Eevee needs it. Maybe the Eeveelutions need them too.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom