1. Want to talk to fellow Pokémon fans in real time? Join the discussions on our public Discord server!
  2. Here we go again! A new episode of Bulbanews Weekly Roundup can be found on YouTube here.
  3. In case you missed the live streaming of our post E3 Bulbacast episode earlier, you can now watch it on YouTube here.

Do you prefer tough/agressive, sweet/gentle/nice, or more neutral looking Pokemon?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by RTLfan, May 4, 2018.

Voter count: 15
?

Which do you prefer

1. tough/agressive

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. sweet/gentle/nice

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. neutral looking

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RTLfan

RTLfan Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious what people think about this since most Pokemon tend to become more aggressive/tough looking with each evolutionary stage (e.g. most starter Pokemon) and I've always preferred ones that stay sweet/nice looking all throughout (e.g. the Meganium and Gardevoir lines) and I wish there was more of them. I wouldn't want MOST Pokemon to be like that though since that would be tiresome.

I know that for some of you this particular aspect may not be very important when it comes to liking or disliking a particular Pokemon but it would be interesting if you thought about it and told us your opinion anyway....

Mazerakuh90 likes this.
  2. Chidamari Sketch

Chidamari Sketch let's be post-apocalyptic scavengers

Blog Posts:
    Thinking about this kind of classification actually gets weirder in my point of view,

Most of the Pokemon I love these days tend to edge to what I guess qualifies as neutral (Ex: Sableye, Mawile, Stunfisk, Beheeyem, Cradily, Lunatone, Toxapex, Dhelmise, Sigilyph, Tangrowth, Eelektross, Parasect, Shedinja, Shiinotic, Nihilego, Blacephalon, Stakataka, Regice, Alolan Muk, Wishiwashi, etc.), though there's plenty of 'tough' Pokemon I like (Ex: Araquanid, Archeops, Crobat, Mega Pinsir, Naganadel, Guzzlord, Hydreigon, Sharpedo, Tyrantrum, etc.) as well as some elegant/nice ones (Lunala, Mimikyu, Misdreavus, Bewear(?), Primarina, Ribombee, Tapu Lele, Vivillon, Drifblim, Jirachi, etc.)

...Now that I think of it, I'd say my interests in Pokemon would be.... 'quirky' than 'neutral' per se, especially since things like Eelektross, Beheeyem, Shiinotic, etc. tend to be seen as weird and stuff.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Guzma and MegaPod like this.
  3. Camille

Camille Call of Fate

Blog Posts:
    A large number of Pokemon I like are either cute/elegant (Azumarill, Lapras, Togekiss, Milotic, Aurorus, Gardevoir, Raichu, the Eeveelutions, Latias, Ninetales, Altaria) ot tough/gruff (Tyranitar, Weavile, Staraptor, Salamence, Haxorus, Gyarados, Kyogre, Groudon, Aggron, Nidoking, Arcanine, Torterra, Swampert, Feraligatr). The neutral-looking ones tend to be more forgettable, but I still like critters such as Sandslash, Latios, Kingdra, Starmie, and Golurk.

4. ~Smugleaf~

~Smugleaf~ Beta Bird

Blog Posts:
    I tend to lean towards liking Pokémon that are either tough/aggressive (Incineroar, Blaziken, Samurott, Black Kyurem, Tyranitar, Aggron, Golisopod, Midnight Lycanroc, Krookodile, Gigalith, Turtonator etc) or neutral looking (Virizion, Snivy, Raikou, Salazzle, Jolteon, Empoleon, Kartana, Mismagius, Pyroar, Toxicroak, Breloom, Escavalier, Scizor, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Simisage, Ninetales, Houndoom, etc).
    There are a few gentle Pokémon I like though. Spritzee, Aromatisse, Wailord, Milotic, Abra, Meowstic, Lopunny, and Shaymin just to name a few.

5. Mazerakuh90

Mazerakuh90 Guiding Lights

Blog Posts:
    To say the truth, the majority of my liking falls into the category of Sweet/Gentle/Nice: Florges, Mismagius, Gothitelle, Serperior, Milotic, Delphox, Audino, Primarina and Ampharos are a few examples.

6. Gengarzilla

Gengarzilla The Mega Evolution you love to loathe!

Blog Posts:
    The OP's right, this isn't something I've ever put a whole lot of thought into. My picks throughout all the games and beyond seem to run the entire visual gamut so I can't really say I have any tough/sweet preferences.

If I have to say, I guess I'm more interested in function than looks or nature. I could flip from, for example, Clefable to Gengar and back again.

7. Arylett Charnoa

Arylett Charnoa Red Mage

Blog Posts:
    My preference in Pokemon appearance veers towards elegant more than anything. I absolutely adore things that look beautiful or majestic, such as Primarina, Dragonair, Ninetales, Reshiram, Articuno, etc. On this poll, that would categorize as either gentle-looking or neutral, I think. I can like some more tough-looking Pokemon, such as Nidoking or Haxorus.

8. Matleo

Matleo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    scary and creepy looking also could be.

9. CynthiaLover

CynthiaLover Geek of the Games

Blog Posts:
    This is a tough one to answer, as it generally depends on what Mons I'm looking into for team functionality. It can also boil down to the various Gens and regions of the PokeWorld. Sinnoh, for example, has a lot of tough-looking Mons that often end up in my team (Garchomp, Staraptor, Infernape, and Luxray for example), while also having some gentle ones (Gastrodon, Tangrowth, and Torterra, for example). So, in that regard, Sinnoh teams end up with sort of a mix of Tough and Gentle. Hoenn, on the other hand, ends up with tough (like Blaziken, Walrein, Sharpedo, and Glalie) and graceful (like Gardevior, Roserade, Milotic, and Absol), so that region gets more of a Tough/Graceful mix.

I guess you could say I use "Tough" the most often, especially since I'm biased to Fire Starters, which often end up tough-looking (and the fact that three of the Fire starters end up with a Fighting sub-type further proves that), but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're the only ones I prefer. I generally play with whatever I feel like and whatever synergy I need. Unova is probably the one region where basically anything goes, as the sheer number of choices means you can mix-and-match to your heart's content, and there are very few "wrong" choices (even the regional rodent has more going for it than normal, and is not just needless EXP fodder... oh, and pardon the unintentional "normal" pun regarding said regional rodent, since it is a Normal type).

So, really, it just boils down to what's available and what my needs are, as I don't really have a set-in-stone preference. Just whatever Mon floats my boat at the time is what I use. It's like Karen of the E4 said, I don't favor any particular "toughness" or "power", I play with favorites and work with that. So I guess I can't vote here, as I really have no preference, as I like to mix-and-match and use favorites more often than anything. That about sums it up for me, and I'm sure it was as clear as mud. *shrugs*

10. Drakon

Drakon Requiem Raver

Blog Posts:
    Hmm...

You know, I kind of like pokémon with a sleek, mechanized appearance. I'm guessing that would fit under tough/aggressive?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.