• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you prefer tough/agressive, sweet/gentle/nice, or more neutral looking Pokemon?

Which do you prefer

• tough/agressive

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • sweet/gentle/nice

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • neutral looking

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

RTLfan

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. He/Him
I'm curious what people think about this since most Pokemon tend to become more aggressive/tough looking with each evolutionary stage (e.g. most starter Pokemon) and I've always preferred ones that stay sweet/nice looking all throughout (e.g. the Meganium and Gardevoir lines) and I wish there was more of them. I wouldn't want MOST Pokemon to be like that though since that would be tiresome.

I know that for some of you this particular aspect may not be very important when it comes to liking or disliking a particular Pokemon but it would be interesting if you thought about it and told us your opinion anyway....

Thinking about this kind of classification actually gets weirder in my point of view,

Most of the Pokemon I love these days tend to edge to what I guess qualifies as neutral (Ex: Sableye, Mawile, Stunfisk, Beheeyem, Cradily, Lunatone, Toxapex, Dhelmise, Sigilyph, Tangrowth, Eelektross, Parasect, Shedinja, Shiinotic, Nihilego, Blacephalon, Stakataka, Regice, Alolan Muk, Wishiwashi, etc.), though there's plenty of 'tough' Pokemon I like (Ex: Araquanid, Archeops, Crobat, Mega Pinsir, Naganadel, Guzzlord, Hydreigon, Sharpedo, Tyrantrum, etc.) as well as some elegant/nice ones (Lunala, Mimikyu, Misdreavus, Bewear(?), Primarina, Ribombee, Tapu Lele, Vivillon, Drifblim, Jirachi, etc.)

...Now that I think of it, I'd say my interests in Pokemon would be.... 'quirky' than 'neutral' per se, especially since things like Eelektross, Beheeyem, Shiinotic, etc. tend to be seen as weird and stuff.

Last edited:
A large number of Pokemon I like are either cute/elegant (Azumarill, Lapras, Togekiss, Milotic, Aurorus, Gardevoir, Raichu, the Eeveelutions, Latias, Ninetales, Altaria) ot tough/gruff (Tyranitar, Weavile, Staraptor, Salamence, Haxorus, Gyarados, Kyogre, Groudon, Aggron, Nidoking, Arcanine, Torterra, Swampert, Feraligatr). The neutral-looking ones tend to be more forgettable, but I still like critters such as Sandslash, Latios, Kingdra, Starmie, and Golurk.

I tend to lean towards liking Pokémon that are either tough/aggressive (Incineroar, Blaziken, Samurott, Black Kyurem, Tyranitar, Aggron, Golisopod, Midnight Lycanroc, Krookodile, Gigalith, Turtonator etc) or neutral looking (Virizion, Snivy, Raikou, Salazzle, Jolteon, Empoleon, Kartana, Mismagius, Pyroar, Toxicroak, Breloom, Escavalier, Scizor, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Simisage, Ninetales, Houndoom, etc).
There are a few gentle Pokémon I like though. Spritzee, Aromatisse, Wailord, Milotic, Abra, Meowstic, Lopunny, and Shaymin just to name a few.

The OP's right, this isn't something I've ever put a whole lot of thought into. My picks throughout all the games and beyond seem to run the entire visual gamut so I can't really say I have any tough/sweet preferences.

If I have to say, I guess I'm more interested in function than looks or nature. I could flip from, for example, Clefable to Gengar and back again.

My preference in Pokemon appearance veers towards elegant more than anything. I absolutely adore things that look beautiful or majestic, such as Primarina, Dragonair, Ninetales, Reshiram, Articuno, etc. On this poll, that would categorize as either gentle-looking or neutral, I think. I can like some more tough-looking Pokemon, such as Nidoking or Haxorus.

This is a tough one to answer, as it generally depends on what Mons I'm looking into for team functionality. It can also boil down to the various Gens and regions of the PokeWorld. Sinnoh, for example, has a lot of tough-looking Mons that often end up in my team (Garchomp, Staraptor, Infernape, and Luxray for example), while also having some gentle ones (Gastrodon, Tangrowth, and Torterra, for example). So, in that regard, Sinnoh teams end up with sort of a mix of Tough and Gentle. Hoenn, on the other hand, ends up with tough (like Blaziken, Walrein, Sharpedo, and Glalie) and graceful (like Gardevior, Roserade, Milotic, and Absol), so that region gets more of a Tough/Graceful mix.

I guess you could say I use "Tough" the most often, especially since I'm biased to Fire Starters, which often end up tough-looking (and the fact that three of the Fire starters end up with a Fighting sub-type further proves that), but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're the only ones I prefer. I generally play with whatever I feel like and whatever synergy I need. Unova is probably the one region where basically anything goes, as the sheer number of choices means you can mix-and-match to your heart's content, and there are very few "wrong" choices (even the regional rodent has more going for it than normal, and is not just needless EXP fodder... oh, and pardon the unintentional "normal" pun regarding said regional rodent, since it is a Normal type).

So, really, it just boils down to what's available and what my needs are, as I don't really have a set-in-stone preference. Just whatever Mon floats my boat at the time is what I use. It's like Karen of the E4 said, I don't favor any particular "toughness" or "power", I play with favorites and work with that. So I guess I can't vote here, as I really have no preference, as I like to mix-and-match and use favorites more often than anything. That about sums it up for me, and I'm sure it was as clear as mud. *shrugs*

Hmm...

You know, I kind of like pokémon with a sleek, mechanized appearance. I'm guessing that would fit under tough/aggressive?

Depends though. Not all of them are same. Some fierce-looking Pokémon can be gentle and friendly, and some nice-looking Pokémon can be jerky at times.

sweet/gentle/nice for me, its the closest for my main preference - cute looking Pokemon
ones I love depending on how they are trained can be any of the three

(overall cute for me such as Eevee, Zorua, Vulpix, Alolan Vulpix, Fennekin, Shinx, Glameow, Litten, Purrloin)

I like Pokémon that are kinda elegant-looking the most, I think. This would fit into the “neutral-looking” category in the poll. Espeon and Umbreon (Colosseum nostalgia in full force), Arcanine, Shedinja, stuff like that.

Followed by that I like cute or goofy Pokémon, which would fit into “sweet/gentle/nice” in the poll (I voted for this one earlier because I thought “elegant” would fit into that category, but I thought about it again and changed my mind). Pokémon that I consider cute are like Rotom, Sudowoodo, Porygon, Celebi, stuff like that.

Finally, it takes a lot for me to like Pokémon that are “tough/aggressive”, since I’m not really intimidated by any Pokémon’s design. Pokémon that try to look “cool” usually end up looking silly to me. Still, there are some macho-tough-guy Pokémon I like. Feraligatr, Marowak, and Haunter, to name a few.

So my categories for Pokémon designs don’t line up well with those in this poll. The categories in my mind can be summed up as “elegant”, “cute”, and “tough”. Generally I’d rank them elegant > cute >>>> tough.

Theres also a secret fourth category, “sinfully ugly”, which contains Pokémon like Mr. Mime, Heatran, and Electrode.

I don't know. I just think it depends too much. Some "aggressive" Pokemon such as Houndour and Tyrantrum I really like, while some others are just really tacky and I dislike them (Incineroar, Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus - they all look very cheesy lol). I would want to say I go more for elegant and cute Pokemon, but even there I have my own ideas of cute and a lot of Pokemon that are supposed to be cute don't really appeal to me (like cat and bunny Pokemon).

I prefer ones that look like bugs.

Okay, now that I got that shitpost out of the way, it really depends? I usually prefer aggressive-looking Pokemon, but there's some more elegant/cute ones I like like Primarina, Volcarona and Mimikyu. I also usually like derpmons like Stunfisk, Trubbish/Garbodor, Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking, Alolan Exeggutor and Dunsparce.

I tend to prefer cat and dog like Pokémon so some of them do fall under all of the above, I guess if I had to pick an order though then neutral > sweet/gentle/nice > tough/aggressive.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom