• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you read videogame magazines?

Do you read magazines dedicated to video games

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The topic of this thread is simple: do you read magazines dedicated to videogames? Why (or why not)?

With the Internet becoming more and more commonplace and people using it as a prime way to access news from the comfort of their home for free, there's been likely less of an incentive to buy the old-fashioned magazines. Still, some still buy them, and that's my case!

I personally buy a Portuguese magazine called Bgamer (click ... it's in Portuguese but hey, it gives an idea of what it looks like). While I tend to already know the news they report AND that interest by the time it hits the shelves by consulting websites, there's still a lot that slips under my radar. On top of that, the writing is really good (might be biased because it's my own language here, heh) and professional (i.e. no pointless jokes or "flamebait" articles), the design is pleasant and it's a lot easier for me to read on paper than on the screen. This way, I end up knowing a lot of stuff that I would otherwise skim/skip entirely. Plus, this one comes with a free FULL game, that usually pays off the price of the magazine itself (5 euros, which is about 7-8 dollars, fair enough for a slightly bulky monthly magazine), and it's almost always a good one, even if it's from a few years ago. I have no idea how they manage it but it's all legal.

Well, enough rambling on my part! What about you?

Last edited:
I still have my subscription to Gameinformer here in the U.S.. I personally find their review column informative and fair, and their preview articles for games under development are really well done. I just read their preview for Bungie's new game being developed, Destiny, and now I'm really interested in it.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm far more inclined to read something if I have a physical copy rather than a digital version or website.

On occasion I do pick up and read Game Informer because my brother has a subscription to it still. I find that their articles usually cover all my questions as in what is this game about, basic plot line, and etc. so I definitely do agree they're informative.

Otherwise I usually find myself sticking to online resources.

Occasionally, I'll take a peek in the gaming magazines in stores, but I usually don't buy them and stick to online.

I was subscribed to Nintendo Power, but that went away in 2012

I stick to online guides these days.

I used to be a pretty devoted GamePro reader back before it went out of print. I think my interest in both criticism and video games in general started there. It's a shame it went of our print when it did; they'd been making some pretty interesting choices in regards to style and content (albeit ones that irked me a fair bit at the time).

Nintendo Power was great. Usually saved that for special occasions, but it delivered each time.

I used to be a subscriber of Nintendo Power, as well. I really loved them. :3 I'd subscribe to Nintendo Force..but I don't really feel like it.

I used to read Nintendo Power before they stopped publication, I liked the comics that came with some of the older ones. I had a few GameInformer magazines that a friend gave to me, but I could never get into those, most likely because they don't offer anything that I can't easily find on the internet.

I still get the occasional copy of the Official Nintendo Magazine when my mum gets it for me on a whim or when it has a cool gift, but nowhere near as habitually as I used to. It's just so expensive and the free gifts here rarely make that worthwhile when they publish plenty of their articles online too. Generally I now stick to online resources for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom