• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still consider Eevee as a starter Pokémon?

Do you still consider Eevee as a starter Pokémon?

• Total voters

S.S. Shadow Minun

is back for 2014
Reaction score
Somebody considers Eevee is a main series starter Pokémon (like Mudkip and Snivy), while others are not. Eevee is a starter Pokémon in Pokémon Yellow (as a rival's starter), Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Conquest, and like all starters (excluding Pikachu), having a gender ratio of seven males to one female. But some guys treated this as a regular Pokémon instead of starters.

In my opinion, I'll still considering Eevee as a main-series starter Pokémon because of same reason. Now, it's your turn (as the title says).

No as far as the main series is concerned, which is where the concept of "starter pokémon" really applies (as you choose one at the start and stuff).

It is however always a great choice for a pokémon to start with wherever it shows up, as it has the whole choice of evolution. It works really nice in Conquest. And I think it would work on a main series game.

But no, I only consider "starter pokémon" those of main games, as it's where you get the excluyent choice of "the big three". I'd say Pikachu can be an honorary exception because, well, Yellow in itself is an honorary exception.

I think Eevee would make a very nice starter Pokemon. Because then, the trainer would evolve it according to it's personality.
I will always classify Eevee as a starter regardless of the main series games.

In some games yes, since it IS a Pokèmon you can start with.

The question is tricky though since there's no real definition of a starter Pokèmon as it changes from universe to universe.
- In the anime there are three official sets of starters from each region, Ash was the exception because Oak was out of the normal ones, and just so happened to have a Pikachu around.
- In Pokèmon Adventures they're just normal pokèmon, usually owned by the professors, as most of the main characters get their first Pokèmon elsewhere. Red had a Poliwhirl, Blue had a Scyther, Green had a Jigglypuff and so on... In this universe there doesn't seem to be any starter Pokèmon. Kids start with whatever Pokèmon their friends/family give them.
- In the games though... Who knows really... Oak claims Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle are the only three Pokèmon he has left from his own journey. Elm says Totodile, Chikorita and Cyndaquil are rare Pokèmon he just caught for research, In Generation III your starter is one of three Pokèmon Birch is carrying with him while researching, and in Generation IV you basically steal one, in Generation V they're actually given to you as a present.

So then what is a starter? A pokèmon that's primarily male? Well that applies to Growlithe and Lucario in addition to the "traditional" starters and in many side-games you can begin with almost any Pokèmon you want.

If you're talking about the main series, then no, and I never have done, because the player does not have access to it at the start of Pokemon Yellow. It's all just a set-up for Gary to get it.

I do tend to think of Eevee as a starter pokemon even though it was not a starter in a main series game, mostly because pokemon XD in which Eevee was the starter pokemon is so similar to a main series game. I know there are no gyms, pokemon league, hardly any wild pokemon and no pokedex in XD, but the gameplay is pretty much the same as a main series game and you have to battle and defeat the regions evil team using your pokemon in pretty much the same way. I also think Eevee makes a good starter pokemon as you have a choice of what type you want to evolve it into which is a sort of similar/slightly different take on the choice of a grass/fire/water type starter you get in the main series games. I also still consider Pikachu as a starter pokemon even though its role as the starter in pokemon yellow was a one off in terms of the main series games.

Last edited:
No, you can't start with Eevee in any main series game, if we consider Eevee a starter, we should also consider Munchlax, Skitty, Riolu, Shinx and so on as starters.

Technically, it isn't. It's never been one of the three pokémon offered to you at the start of any main series game. You can't start a game with Eevee, so it's definitely not a starter.

Though it does have the makings of a good starter.

No. I never considered it a starter, to begin with, since we can't start with it in any of the portable/main games.

And unlike others, I don't think it works well as starter. It doesn't have three evolutionary stages and it isn't of any of the three starter types. I hated being obligated to use it in Pokémon Conquest. :|

Nope, and I don't technically consider Pikachu a starter either. Yellow and the anime were just special cases.

(in terms of regional starter Pokemon)

Yes. The way I see it, a Pokemon chosen or received as the first for any trainer is a starter. so technically all pokemon could be starters.

I think it is a starter. Even though XD was crap it was still pokemon game and you started with Eevee. Which is the only part I liked.

Starter Pokémon is by definition a Pokémon you start off with. So, you start off with Eevee. So: Eevee = Starter Pokémon.

Yes and no. I do consider it a starter in a sense because XD is normally considered part of the main series, and because Gary/Blue starts with it in Yellow, but I don't group it with the others. Sort of an "honorary starter," I guess.

Well, I've never played XD, but because Gary did get one in Yellow, I would still definitely consider it a starter. (After all, it was a "starter" to him. ^^)

I don't think I've ever considered Eevee a starter Pokemon, at least in the traditional sense. It's never made available for players to start off their journey with as their first Pokemon in any of the main series games. Going by Pokemon Conquest, I guess it would be a starter in that game, but it still isn't a traditional starter Pokemon to me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom