• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still play games from the older generations?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I ask this question because, well, it will be interesting to find out. Me personally? I'm more a casual gamer. I play the game for the story. Sure, there are games I play multiple times. At this point, unless they come out with a game for the switch Eshop like they did with Gens one and two, I really don't have a reason to play them anymore.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by "unless they come out with a game for the switch ports for the older games," especially as it seems that you haven't played any of the VC games for 3DS.

Anyway, I play hacks of some of the older games (mostly the first two generations, to which I'm most attached) as they add some spice in terms of difficulty and features. I might revisit BW next as it's been about 3 years since the last time.

I don't understand what you mean by "unless they come out with a game for the switch that has all of the older gam," especially as it seems that you haven't played any of the VC games for 3DS.

Anyway, I play hacks of some of the older games (mostly the first two generations, to which I'm most attached) as they add some spice in terms of difficulty and features. I might revisit BW next as it's been about 3 years since the last time.

I mean like what they did for the 3DS: Released the Gens one and two on the 3DS. letting you buy the games on the Eshop on the switch. Sorry about that.

Of course. Every game has features worth revisiting to me. I also like replaying the story of the older gens.

Although, i find it kinda hard to go back to any game before Gen 4, as they feel kinda dated to me.

Yes, every now and then, depending on mood. Mostly Platinum and BW, as those three tend to be favorites of mine. I'm currently doing a replay of both OR and AS, but those are recent enough to not totally qualify for this question. I did finished a White rerun recently and have been debating on starting another Platinum run for fun. So, yeah, I sometimes pull up an older gen game for a change of pace. Besides, I won't be able to get any new games for quite some time, as the only new games I'm looking into are Dragon Quest XI and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, both of which won't be coming out until September, so I need to find some way to kill time until then (and summer never goes by fast enough for me... yes, I hate the summer, as it's effectively my time to hibernate, since I can't stand heat). So, yeah, I do replays of older gens every now and then if it tickles my fancy.

Honestly, not really. The games I own I've played so many times that there's no thrill left in them. At least, not now. I've specially bred mons and traded them over, and other times I played it all naturally. Nuzlocke sounds like a thing but not very casual, and one fluke critical hit sounds like it ruins your entire run. I guess I'd have to look more into it. I can say that I won't be playing Black/White because the ending always makes me want to get the sequel, which is expensive and even rarer to come by. If I should happen to find it in my possession, then maybe.

If anything I might consider giving LeafGreen/FireRed a go, just because I never finished the game in the first place.

I've played the heck out of Crystal this year. Now I'm replaying X, and I think I will replay one of the BW/B2W2 games once I get through the Kalos league in X.

I tend to go back and replay the gen 4-5 games every now and then as I love the sprites from those generations, especially compared to the 3D visuals we have now.I also do it to refresh my memory and just stay in touch with the series . I'll usually replay the most recent gen games a few years after the release to see if my opinion on them changes, and just for nostalgia.

I haven't replayed the gen 3 games in a decade though as I don't wanna play through them and be like "wow this isn't as good as I remember"

Only whenever I'm feeling nostalgic towards a certain game or when I get the urge to start another file for one reason or another. I restarted AS a couple of years ago because I wanted to give it another chance. I'm currently tempted to play through Platinum again actually, but my backlog is keeping me from doing so.

I still do. I've just picked up Pokémon White (I even dug out my old white DSi to make the experience more authentic) and I plan to start SoulSilver once I'm finished with White. Sooner or later I'll get around to my copy of Platinum.

I was playing Yellow on my GameBoy (the ol' brick) but my brick GameBoy is currently pushing up daisies so I have to buy some repair tools and replacement parts. I could continue playing Yellow on my GameBoy Advance (the one without the backlight ew) but I like to play the old games on their native machines. I make an exception with the DS games where everything just gets played on my white DSi. My pink DS Lite is also pushing up daisies after my sister thought it would be a good decoration for my old fish tank.

I doubt Y is considered "old" but I'm starting another playthrough of it because my sister recently bought me a new copy after losing mine (no, not the same sister that threw my DS Lite in the fish tank).

yeah of course! Honestly gens III-V are my favorites. Especially in gen V where you can have so many different team combinations, I find that it's hard to ever get tired of playing that one especially (also because I adore Unova's color pallet).

Also since Gen VII was very meh to me, I only ever played it once (also cause my interest in the games have severely gone downhill since the release of S&M), and still found myself more interested in older games.

I tend to abandon a generation as the new one comes out. e.g. I've a copy of Yellow lying about somewhere (probably in my parents garage) that I don't think I've touched in seventeen years. The exception to that of course being remakes (although I skipped Fire Red and Leaf Green).

I've been thinking about buying the virtual console games but I'm not sure if nostalgia alone is enough to keep my attention honestly.

I do actually. I don't, however, replay my games (No, I'll never do that! (n)). What I then do in the older generations is, battle in the various facilities - facilities that don't give experience but Battle Points. (That's right! I don't know how many hours I have spent lately at the PWT in my White 2 doing just that. (y)) Is a lot of fun actually, if you ask me. :);)

I <3 Gen III so very much. I will never stop playing it, it seems.
At the moment I'm hell bent on getting items with multiple Lv91 - 100 Linoone on the team. Leftovers and TM26, woooh! Gen III and IV, certain items were definitely harder to come by... somehow makes it more rewarding...
Same as Harryghost, I haven't restarted any games... but I have multiples of certain ones for that reason, really... 3 Ruby games, lol.
I can quote so many Hoenn NPCs almost verbatim, it's kinda concerning...
ORAS was V. good, I loved it, but it was unnecessary really, considering I'm still playing those original Hoenn games.
Then there's Gen V, which I also <3 immensely. I have all four of those games. And there's just so much to do. I love Join Avenue, getting new things every day, stuff like that... And Unova as a region, so much love for it.
I played both Sun and Ultra Sun, but I wouldn't play through Alola again.
I guess this is why the DS Lite is my fave device... can play both Gen III and V! Also Platinum of Gen IV, I enjoy that also.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom