• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

Do you still play games from the older generations?

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Yeah, I enjoy Gen I, III, and I guess IV is considered older at this point~ Not too much of a fan of the Johto games, but I do enjoy playing with them from time to time~

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Um... somewhat? It's mostly PMD games, with the only main series games from older generations currently being Platinum and Omega Ruby. Generations IV and VI are my favourites so that's one reason why I've held onto these two titles.

Fluffy!
Reaction score
I haven’t replayed an older game in a while, but I do replay them from time to time.

I believe I’ve played through Hoenn about 10 times if I count both Sapphire and Emerald. I’ve also revisited Black and I was planning to replay Platinum but then I thought we might get a Sinnoh remake soon so I decided to hold back for maximum nostalgia. Sadly, that Sinnoh remake still seems kind of faraway haha. Maybe I wil replay Platinum after all. I revisited Gold once, but it was before Gen III was released so I don’t know if that counts.

Sometimes revisiting a certain region helps me appreciate it more. That happened with Unova which I didn’t like that much initially because I wasn’t a fan of the urban feel to it. I also enjoy making teams with Pokemon I’ve never used before. It often ends up making me appreciate or even love Pokemon that I previously didn’t think too much about. Plus, it’s nice to use some of the old features like making Poffins, playing in the Pokeathlon or the Pokemon Amie mini-games.

I’ve been thinking of replaying Emerald because it has been so long. I might revisit Platinum if Sinnoh remakes won’t happen anytime soon and I really want to replay Y and AlphaSapphire later on. Alola is certainly a region I won’t revisit anytime soon since it’s so recent, but when I return to Alola it will be through Moon for the story (USUM kinda messed up there).

Reaction score
Absolutely. I come back to and play, but rarely restart now, my old games. I grow attached to my characters and their story/my headcanons for them, plus I've lost things in resets, like the original Victini, and so I don't do it anymore.

Paid Unova Shill
Reaction score
I try to, but it’s still somewhat difficult for me to revisit games from before Gen 5 due to their slow speed and their less-streamlined UIs. Granted, I did replay Emerald recently and it wasn’t so bad, but I definitely prefer the mechanics of the newer games (and I dislike not having the Fairy type around). Even Gen 5, for as much as I adore it, feels a bit outdated in some instances now.

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Only time I did was to continue with the PWT, on stuff like bus rides and such. I would've used gen 6... but nah that was nothing compared to the PWT. It took me a long time before I moved my BW2 dudes up. I waited until I wanted to use them in the Battle Tree in Alola lol (though tbf I forgot I didnt transfer them till I Remembered about my badass Draginite and I was like WHERE IS IT then was like... did I not transfer it?!)

but yeah, I play games then move on. I just used the PWT as a neat time killer

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
Yep! Sure do! I still play the original games on my 3DS VC!

Reaction score
Just finished a run through of Pokémon Blue and next I’ll be playing Gold. Planning on making my way through one game from each generation before LGPE get released, if I have the time!

Angelic Seed
Reaction score
Yes.

Replaying older games has more value for me because, once I finish the story of the current Gen, I'm pretty much done until a few years later where I'll do another replay. I don't really engage much in postgame activities, so I need more to get my Pokemon fix whenever my passion for the series flares up. The best thing I find for replay value is all of the Pokemon choices, and formulating different teams. At the moment, I'm planning a replay of all the regions in the series, starting from my native Johto in HeartGold, either Firered or my VC Yellow for Kanto representation, and so on and so forth. (After I finish White 2, of course... I've been meaning to do that for years.)

sɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴜʟʟᴀʙʏ
Reaction score
I sadly don't anymore, although I really want to go back and play through Platinum again.

I also want to play VC Crystal, as sluggish as Johto is. u.u

Reaction score
I actually play them a lot more than the newer entries. Since their original release, I've been replaying Emerald, FR/LG, Platinum and HG/SS (and to a lesser degree, the Gen. V games and OR/AS) as well as the old Mystery Dungeon games pretty much on a regular basis, so at least every other year, whereas I've only played X/Y and S/M once.

Reaction score
I play all of them from time to time and with the VC versions of the first two gens and the ability to transfer to the newer games I have far more of a reason to play them. Before those came out I played gens 3-7 since those could transfer. I am a collector more than a person who plays for battles but in both cases transferring from the older games makes playing them even more enjoyable.

Reaction score
I replay Silver from time to time. But few days ago I found interesting pokemon game to smartphone. I download it using this link pokemon quest game. It is good way to spend free time and relax after work.

Last edited:
Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
I haven't replayed an old Pokemon game in ages. I say that's partially because I just don't replay games in general much anymore, but also because the Pokemon series in particular introduces seemingly small but great adjustments in each title, and it can be daunting to go back to the old titles where those adjustments weren't there. Like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow feels straight-up unplayable to me nowadays.

I could probably go back and replay X/Y right now and be okay, though. Not sure I could go back any earlier than that.

#Shield
Reaction score
I do.
I like playing them over again simply because i find it fun and I usually enjoy the stories and gives me a chance to try out different pokemon and stuff.