• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still play games from the older generations?

Um... somewhat? It's mostly PMD games, with the only main series games from older generations currently being Platinum and Omega Ruby. Generations IV and VI are my favourites so that's one reason why I've held onto these two titles.

I haven’t replayed an older game in a while, but I do replay them from time to time.

I believe I’ve played through Hoenn about 10 times if I count both Sapphire and Emerald. I’ve also revisited Black and I was planning to replay Platinum but then I thought we might get a Sinnoh remake soon so I decided to hold back for maximum nostalgia. Sadly, that Sinnoh remake still seems kind of faraway haha. Maybe I wil replay Platinum after all. I revisited Gold once, but it was before Gen III was released so I don’t know if that counts.

Sometimes revisiting a certain region helps me appreciate it more. That happened with Unova which I didn’t like that much initially because I wasn’t a fan of the urban feel to it. I also enjoy making teams with Pokemon I’ve never used before. It often ends up making me appreciate or even love Pokemon that I previously didn’t think too much about. Plus, it’s nice to use some of the old features like making Poffins, playing in the Pokeathlon or the Pokemon Amie mini-games.

I’ve been thinking of replaying Emerald because it has been so long. I might revisit Platinum if Sinnoh remakes won’t happen anytime soon and I really want to replay Y and AlphaSapphire later on. Alola is certainly a region I won’t revisit anytime soon since it’s so recent, but when I return to Alola it will be through Moon for the story (USUM kinda messed up there).

Currently replaying Emerald while waiting for Switch release. Switched my Magikarp in at the last turn before Brawly's Makuhita fainted to its burn and got this surprisingly apt comment on it. :giggle:

vnCce8V.png

Absolutely. I come back to and play, but rarely restart now, my old games. I grow attached to my characters and their story/my headcanons for them, plus I've lost things in resets, like the original Victini, and so I don't do it anymore.

I try to, but it’s still somewhat difficult for me to revisit games from before Gen 5 due to their slow speed and their less-streamlined UIs. Granted, I did replay Emerald recently and it wasn’t so bad, but I definitely prefer the mechanics of the newer games (and I dislike not having the Fairy type around). Even Gen 5, for as much as I adore it, feels a bit outdated in some instances now.

Only time I did was to continue with the PWT, on stuff like bus rides and such. I would've used gen 6... but nah that was nothing compared to the PWT. It took me a long time before I moved my BW2 dudes up. I waited until I wanted to use them in the Battle Tree in Alola lol (though tbf I forgot I didnt transfer them till I Remembered about my badass Draginite and I was like WHERE IS IT then was like... did I not transfer it?!)

but yeah, I play games then move on. I just used the PWT as a neat time killer

Just finished a run through of Pokémon Blue and next I’ll be playing Gold. Planning on making my way through one game from each generation before LGPE get released, if I have the time!

Yes.

Replaying older games has more value for me because, once I finish the story of the current Gen, I'm pretty much done until a few years later where I'll do another replay. I don't really engage much in postgame activities, so I need more to get my Pokemon fix whenever my passion for the series flares up. The best thing I find for replay value is all of the Pokemon choices, and formulating different teams. At the moment, I'm planning a replay of all the regions in the series, starting from my native Johto in HeartGold, either Firered or my VC Yellow for Kanto representation, and so on and so forth. (After I finish White 2, of course... I've been meaning to do that for years.)

I actually play them a lot more than the newer entries. Since their original release, I've been replaying Emerald, FR/LG, Platinum and HG/SS (and to a lesser degree, the Gen. V games and OR/AS) as well as the old Mystery Dungeon games pretty much on a regular basis, so at least every other year, whereas I've only played X/Y and S/M once.

I play all of them from time to time and with the VC versions of the first two gens and the ability to transfer to the newer games I have far more of a reason to play them. Before those came out I played gens 3-7 since those could transfer. I am a collector more than a person who plays for battles but in both cases transferring from the older games makes playing them even more enjoyable.

I replay Silver from time to time. But few days ago I found interesting pokemon game to smartphone. I download it using this link pokemon quest game. It is good way to spend free time and relax after work.

Last edited:
I haven't replayed an old Pokemon game in ages. I say that's partially because I just don't replay games in general much anymore, but also because the Pokemon series in particular introduces seemingly small but great adjustments in each title, and it can be daunting to go back to the old titles where those adjustments weren't there. Like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow feels straight-up unplayable to me nowadays.

I could probably go back and replay X/Y right now and be okay, though. Not sure I could go back any earlier than that.

I do.
I like playing them over again simply because i find it fun and I usually enjoy the stories and gives me a chance to try out different pokemon and stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom