• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still play games from the older generations?

The feeling of PTSD caused by Whitney's miltank is an experience I need once in a while.

I like replaying older games, specifically Gen IV and Gen V. Gen 1-3 is harder because I don't own a gameboy anymore. Gen 1 and 2 on virtual console is nice, but man those graphics... Gen 3 I will replay if they are released on virtual console.

I'm playing two hacks right now: One is Blue with the sprites from the Spaceworld demo, running shoes and improved opponent teams. The second one is a Stadium hack with good rental options and harder opponents (supposedly much harder). Both are fun.

All. The. Time. I’m not ashamed to say that HGSS, Platinum, XY, and ORAS run circles around everything Gen VII has to offer.

Depending on what I have. I beat Black 2 again after years of retirement in gaming, and restarted it. It was fun to do some post-game adventures.

All. The. Time. I’m not ashamed to say that HGSS, Platinum, XY, and ORAS run circles around everything Gen VII has to offer.
You and me both. Heck I’m now starting to regret transferring most of my Pokémon to UM because now I can’t use them in my ORAS replay. Oh well, at least Platinum and white 2 helped me out in that regard.

Yeah, I often do. Just played through Platinum again, and enjoyed it as much as ever!

Definitely! I am currently doing an X Nuzlocke and finally seeing all the limited customization options for the male. So disappointing on that front. But really enjoying the run so far!

Never thought that I would use a Plusle on any team. But she's really a powerhouse.

I didn't for many years because I had no reason or incentive to go back to the awful older mechanics and I had pretty much completed everything but after transferring ever single pokemon I had to pokebank and hating every game since ORAS came out, since 2014 or so I've been replaying all the older games.
I've replayed Platinum, HeartGold, White, White2 and I just restarted my FireRed so I'll be playing that now. oh and of course I did play Yellow and Gold on the VC

Last edited:
The older generations (up to 3) are all I have, and have not played any newer than 4.

Not in recent years - aside from Y that I just bought and played last year, if that counts, and Crystal to do a semi-speedrun, so to speak, on my old cartridge with a corrupted save file before I traded it in - but I still would go back to most previous generations then and now, when I make the time. I have in fact been thinking and planning to replay SoulSilver, Platinum, Black/White, Black 2, and do a Nuzlocke Challenge of FireRed. But I'd have to work around my never-ending gaming backlog to do so.

I wouldn't, however, care to go back to the first two generations, and possibly not even Ruby/Sapphire, when I could just play their respective remakes that I own, aside from maybe Yellow for its uniqueness.

Last edited:
It's weird playing older games through. I was dealing with Iris' Haxorus last night and it was being annoying, so I thought I'd moonblast his ass. Needless to say, that obviously didn't happen.

I forgot the Fairy type wasn't in the games until Gen 6. I now realize how big of a change for the games the new typing was.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom