• Bulbacast is back with a new episode in advance of tomorrow's Direct. Watch it on YouTube here.

Do you think a talking protagonist with an established personality would work in a Pokémon game?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Not to mention people with speech impediments or accents not supported by the games would have a really hard time enjoying them.
Good point, I didn't think of that. Yeah, so it's probably not worth attempting unless they can get that ironed out as well.

Dieter

Dieter
Reaction score
No, especially not now they've made the PC a customisable avatar for the player. Had they done this early on in the series, sure... But Pokemon just isn't a franchise where you play as the same character every time, unlike the Mario franchise or LoZ (sure, technically we get a different incarnation of Link every time, but still it's always Link).

That said, allowing us to give the protag a personality through choices we make would be pretty rad. Do you consistently pick the snarky replies? Well, NPC's might like you a whole lot less. Trying to avoid helping people out? They might see you as lazy. Always picking the 'brave' option and rushing headfirst into danger? People could consider you reckless.

I think there's definitely some room to play around with this

Reactions: El_

Jabberwocky

Gather round, people, I'll tell you a story
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary or desirable for a main series protagonist to be voiced or have a pre-determined personality. More dialogue options and dialogue trees would be nice - you could have a system where the way you interact with your rival or the evil team leader would affect the way they view and address you, for example - but Pokemon isn't Mass Effect. We need to recall that the series is, ultimately, intended for children, and the blank protagonist is important for the purposes of immersion and wish-fulfillment for children. If GameFreak was to change anything about the way the protagonist is handled, I'd rather they implement a full character creator rather than voiced dialogue.

Now, in a spinoff game, sure, go wild. The Mystery Dungeon games already have pre-set dialogue and personality for the protagonist and it works fine for them.