• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think after DP the writer should retire Ash?

Should Ash leave the show?

• Total voters
In any case, I'm kinda done after Gen 4 for the most part. I hope this saga gets a good ending, because after DP I'm not sure if I'm going to follow the 5th gen.

650 episodes is enough, which is what the show will have by the end of DP.

Meh, it would depend on what the 5th Gen does. If it has the same old "Contests, Gyms, and Brock Wallpaper, then no thanks. But if they do something to shake up the gym format, have the new girl not be overly girly with interesting rivals, and have Brock participate in more things, then I'll give it a shot.

Well, for this long time Pokémon fan it'll depend what happens between now and Generation V. Still, the thing is that we still have no hint of Gen V games or anime, yet.

Hopefully, Movie 12 will give the first hints of Gen V, otherwise I won't know what to think or what Nintendo is planning to do?

The Sinnoh Saga looks to be on pace to end by the Fall '09 (this year) so who knows what's going on?

Well, for this long time Pokémon fan it'll depend what happens between now and Generation V. Still, the thing is that we still have no hint of Gen V games or anime, yet.

Hopefully, Movie 12 will give the first hints of Gen V, otherwise I won't know what to think or what Nintendo is planning to do?

The Sinnoh Saga looks to be on pace to end by the Fall '09 (this year) so who knows what's going on?

I don't think that it'll end by the fall of this year, since Movie 12 only comes out in July (I think). AG ended in September 2006, after they had four movies, while DP will only have 3 by the end of this fall, and that would make DP a year shorter than both AG and OS.

Yeah but AG had four movies because of the Battle Frontier. And the OS were in 3 different regions (1 movie Kanto and Orange islands and 3 Johto).

As I said in other threads, I think Ash will challenge the Sinnoh Elite 4 after the current saga ends.

I dunno. I mean I kinda feel like the pokemon anime is more of a show without any real storyline. the plot exists on an individual episode/small series of episodes basis. Given such a reality, it wouldn't make sense for them to retire Ash.

If they opt however to do a real overarching plot, then yes it would make sense to start fresh.

What hints?

Well I have something which already talks about Gen V and VI here, the next two Gens of Pokemon names, so long discussed rumors finally takes a shape now.

Gen V:
- Pokemon Black
- Pokemon Brown (alternative Name for some countries maybe)
- Pokemon Gray (Special Edition)
- Pokemon White

Gen VI:
- Pokemon Purple
- Pokemon Crimson
- Pokemon Scarlet (special Edition of Gen VI if u ask me)

So thats it for future Pokemon possibilities. But who knows until the actual Gen V started in TV there is still a very slightly, but still A possibility that Ash/Satoshi won't stay for it.

Last edited:
I voted for "more development of the character". Perhaps he can finally realise that some girls like him, like recently Angie clearly demonstrated, and show more of his feelings in this area. Maybe let him spend some time in Solaceon Town, helping her with the Daycare, and meanwhile getting in the usual trouble.

Or she could decide to travel with the gang for some time, to make Ash discover his sensitive side and find out if he really feels the same for her.

Or maybe they can start a special addition to her parent's daycare, in which the trainers can bring their Pokemon to evolve. That way Ash can still have his battles and care for Pokemon, helping them "understand the power that's inside" like in the themesong for the first series.

Ha! Retire Ash? Yeah right. It's far too late for that. Kids know Ash and Pikachu well, and getting rid of them would cause a drop in new viewers. Remember that Pokemon is a kid's show, it doesn't cater to us old-school fans.

In short, no way in hell is Ash going anywhere.

Stupid question you know. Retire Ash.. Ash won't leave the show. If Ash will leave Pokemon will end.

Just saw this... its a 100% no. The show is after all about ASH QUEST TO BECOME A POKEMON MASTER or GREATEST POKEMON TRINER (sorry for caps, just had to point that out) not someone else, thats what the chronicles was for, to show others. Ash won't leave, he'll be there until the end.

Edit: I have already posted here on this before.

The reason he won't take a back seat is its about HIS adventures, what would be the point of it being his adventures if he has a back seat in them? The reason the show is the way it is is simple. Ash goes to the next tregion with only pikachu. New fans that have only just tuned into show won't be seeing pokemon like charizard or whatever and wondering "Where did that come from?" and so on, like I was when I missed most of Hoenn and BF and saw aipom for first time in D/P episode one.

remember, its not only old fans who whatch the show, but new ones too and the show is based around them, unlike the games which is directed to new and old fans alike. People who have seen the show before can now see how Ash will challenge this region with pokemon in that region, what rival is there and the new girl character. Yes it may seem repetitave, but its not the same each region or arc, each is different, not the 100% the same and remember, its not the old fans that is being catered for, but new ones really.

Last edited:
The main problem I have with the Pokemon series that I have with a bunch of other shows is there's practically no main plot, but there's a whole boatload of subplots going on at once.

I'm sure someone already said this but...They don't necessarily have to get rid of him, yet I'd like the idea of having him take a back seat to the adventures. Not necessarily turn him into Brock, although considering how often the writers muck things up it's inevitable if they go that route.

Has Ash even accomplished anything he set out to do in the first few episodes?

Well in terms of accomplishments:

- All 8 Kanto badges, came in Top 16 in Indigo league.

- All 4 Orange badges, beat champion of Orange league and went into Hall of Fame

- All 8 Johto badges, came in Top 8 in Johto league

- All 8 Hoenn badges, came in Top 8 in Hoenn league

- All 7 Frontier Symbols, became champion of Kanto Battle Frontier

- Almost all 8 Sinnoh badges

- Beat longtime rival Gary in league

- Has about 25 Pokemon now

- Saved the world about a dozen times in each movie

- Met several Elite 4 members

Then there's the various smaller tournaments he was in, like the Whirl Cup, Grass tournament, a few Contests, etc.

Remeber a long time ago, when Ash was dreaming that he won a 100 badges in one of the early episode?

I thought of it as a silly dream at the time, but he has 35 badges currently. He only has 65 more badges to go. [/sarcasm]

Will they? No, of course not.
Should they? No.

Honestly, if they were going to retire his character, then the opportunity is long gone. With a constantly fluctuating female lead and Pokemon cast and an increasingly irrelevant side male lead in Brock, Ash, essentially, is the glue that is holding this show together at this point. The series has become far too invested in him now to let him go; if they were going to retire him, he should have made his exit along with Misty and Brock back at the end of the original series, just in time for May and Max to take over.

Bottom line: Ash is the show. Without him it would just be another spinoff series, quite like Chronicles. But never truly the real thing. Not now. Not this late in the game.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom