• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think after DP the writer should retire Ash?

Should Ash leave the show?

• Total voters
Only reason I see them to replace Ash would be that they would want a newbie trainer to put more perspective for the new kids who just started on pokemon.

They already do this with the new girls though.

What about them? A newbie is a newbie regardless of their sex :/

He probably meant the boys are supposed to identify with the male star and the girls with the female star...

Still, Satoshi hardly needs to be a newb to identify with.

Yeah, but I do miss old newbie Ash sometimes.

When I went back to rewatch Kanto/Orange Islands after a long time of not seeing them, I forgot how funny Ash used to be. Back then Ash used to make a fool out of himself in every episode, and seeing Gary/Misty/Brock all make fun of him or tell him what to do was good. Remember those bizarre and wacky things Ash used to do?

Johto Ash was kinda bland, sort of a mixture of his old self and what he'd eventually become in the arcs that followed.

AG/DP era Ash has the matured personality, he generally has the same personality in both, but he interacts with May and Dawn slightly differently so it seems like he slightly changed from AG into DP. I very much liked the way Ash used to act as an older brother to May and Max, and with Dawn he treats her like a close sister or something. Very nice to see him mature, but he did lose the comedy aspect of the character.

I agree that he was hilarious way back when, but he's not lost his "comedy aspect". It just shows up less frequently :p But all the same, Kanto was funny in itself because of the experimentation and weird ideas, and we know it'll never come close to replicating that. DP has been just as enjoyable though, but for different reasons (steadier plot .etc.) - I think it's pointless that we could ever hope for that calibre of humour again.

Yeah, but I do miss old newbie Ash sometimes.

When I went back to rewatch Kanto/Orange Islands after a long time of not seeing them, I forgot how funny Ash used to be. Back then Ash used to make a fool out of himself in every episode, and seeing Gary/Misty/Brock all make fun of him or tell him what to do was good. Remember those bizarre and wacky things Ash used to do?

Johto Ash was kinda bland, sort of a mixture of his old self and what he'd eventually become in the arcs that followed.

AG/DP era Ash has the matured personality, he generally has the same personality in both, but he interacts with May and Dawn slightly differently so it seems like he slightly changed from AG into DP. I very much liked the way Ash used to act as an older brother to May and Max, and with Dawn he treats her like a close sister or something. Very nice to see him mature, but he did lose the comedy aspect of the character.

I don't think that Ash lost his comedy aspect either. It just shows up less often due to how he has matured a bit during his travels. Though, I don't remember Ash making a fool of himself all of the time back in the Kanto and Orange Island saga. I think he let his anger/jealousy get the better of him when people like Misty or Gary were either poking fun at him or telling him the hard truth.

Besides, I think that one reason why Ash was like that back in the Kanto/Orange Islands saga was because he was still learning the ropes of being a trainer. Once he wasn't a rookie anymore and found a better footing with his battling style, then he kind of grew out of it, or at least to the point where it doesn't happen as often as before. While I do like how the early sagas had some nice comedy aspects to it, I think more people would have issues with Ash if he was still acting like he was back then after being in so many other tournaments, different regions and training new Pokemon. It would feel more, to me at least, that he hadn't changed or developed as a character.

Oh of course, I know why it was important for Ash to change.

But he was a lot more funny when he was a newbie.

They already do this with the new girls though.

Yeah, but I meant in the perspective of new battlers/gym challengers, what the new kids would likely envision themselves to be in the anime when playing the games. The girls are all coordinators, at least so far.

Yeah, but I meant in the perspective of new battlers/gym challengers, what the new kids would likely envision themselves to be in the anime when playing the games. The girls are all coordinators, at least so far.

Is there actually a difference in how trainers and coordinators treat their Pokémon? Both involve having to interact with the monsters. It makes little difference what the goal's supposed to be. Both need to learn how to properly catch, train, interact and bond with their Pokémon.

I admit I liked the quirkier naive Ash from the first season...but then again I kinda miss Veronica Taylor's voice and just the whole feel of it.

Anime has become...I don't know...really numb for me. I watch it, but most of the feeling is gone. I can't say I truly enjoy watching it, which makes me wonder why I do.

I don't know, it makes me sad to think about :(

I agree that the newbie Ash was much more fun. But the show would be over if they retired Ash. He and Pikachu are the stars.:D

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom