• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Ash/Iris would have been better suited as rivals?

Rival or not?

• Yes, I believe there could have been a rivalry.

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • No, everything is fine as is.

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

Masurao

Easy listening
Reaction score
Given the recent events, usually in tournaments for main characters they tend to battle their respective rivals, or have some sort of significant interaction with them (i.e Paul/Ash tag battle). Many people assumed, that give it's tournament like structure Ash was going to battle Trip. However, it was a surprise that Iris and Ash were pitted against each other in the finals, and their actual rivals were defeated earlier.

Do you think they are better suited as rivals, than traveling companions?

Last edited:
Yes it doesn't make sense that both Iris and Trip treat Ash the same way but one's his friend and the other is rival. With 2 Trips possibly traveling together they can interact and aide each other in their respective character arcs. And I don't like Iris so the less screen time the better.

I don't consider it a crime to have 2 trainers as travelling buddies AND rivals. That would be an excellent idea... if only Iris was collecting badges but I guess they can still be rivals in a non official way .

I think Iris would be better suited as the 8th gym leader and have a different companion all together...

I think Iris would be better suited as the 8th gym leader and have a different companion all together...

What for? The BW trio is supposed to be like the original trio, hence why Iris has Misty-ish similarities.

No, I don't think Iris should be a rival. That's a bore.

What for? The BW trio is supposed to be like the original trio, hence why Iris has Misty-ish similarities.

No, I don't think Iris should be a rival. That's a bore.

Guess that's why I never rewatched the original series... chemistry was kinda boring to me.

This thread is not about the Original Series. Refer to the OP or thread title if you have any misconceptions.

To be honest, I wouldn't pick either choices. I don't think she would be suited as a rival, nor do I think that she's suited to be a main character, because ultimately, there's no real interaction, no real back and forth between Iris and Satoshi, much like there aren't any interactions between Satoshi and Shooti. Iris' style is not conflicting, Satoshi doesn't really care what she thinks, Iris doesn't affect Satoshi in the slightest... it's boring on the main cast and it'd be boring as a rival.

I don't see why Iris should be a rival. For what? To compare her Axew to Ash's Oshawott or something?

Being only a rival is an interesting option but i like the things as they are now, i think Iris is a nice main character.
And even though Ash And Iris are travelling partners they can still have some sort of rivalry too.

I would prefer if Iris was just a gym leader, or a gym leader to-be. Drop Cilan out of the equation too.

But Iris does seem more interesting a rival than, say, Trip.

U know I think Writer already trying to create a rivalry despite Iris being a cast character
I mean, Don't all u Notice everytime Ash & Iris comptete Ash alway's lose's
Even the new scan show Iris beating Ash in Tennis
I think it probably because writer planing on having a huge battle between Ash & Iris in Opelucid city
After all, Iris is the 8th gym leader in pokemon White so Writer probably want Ash to have a Gym battle scale Battle against both Iris & Draydan
That's probably that reason Iris beat Ash at everything, To provoke us fan to see A huge battle Between Ash & Iris

Although I could see how Iris would be a rival, I just don't see her making a very good one, or why they'd be rivals- what would be the trigger to it?
Though, a gym leader being a recurring rival seems so interesting, just not Iris. I don't know, anime-wise, she just doesn't seem to be of the rival type...

No. She's alittle too nice to be his rival. Yes, she picks at Ash but she seems to be doing to other people more often now.

With her current persona, I'd say no. As traveling partners, there isn't much conflict between the two that would make for an interesting rivalry. She'd be like Trip, who doesn't have much to set him apart from other trainers Ash meets on his journey. Plus, he doesn't really acknowledge her taunts as of now, so if she were his rival, I don't think he'd act much differently in regards to them; he might be a bit more annoyed, but still not enough to eat at him and motivate him to improve.

I don't see why Iris should be a rival. For what?

To be honest, I don't think she should be a rival either. I just found it strange that they pitted, Ash against her in the finals instead of his actual main rival. Usually after drawn out tournament arcs he has some major interaction/battle with his rival, but he got knocked out in the first round.

Last edited:
Although I could see how Iris would be a rival, I just don't see her making a very good one, or why they'd be rivals- what would be the trigger to it?
Though, a gym leader being a recurring rival seems so interesting, just not Iris. I don't know, anime-wise, she just doesn't seem to be of the rival type...
U are Right , Iris too sweet & kind for that
I believe Ash's female rival should be someone cold, rude & offensive
Like a Female version of Paul or Trip
Has someone ever Wonder why Writer haven't made a preteen Girl Ash's main rival?
Is it because Writer afarid of the rommantic polt line a Boy & girl rivary can create

She's better suited for a travelling partner. Although she does say "you're such a kid!" rather too often, it doesn't have the negative attitude like any rival against Ash was. Come to think of it, why was Ash's main rival almost always such a negative guy...

I actually think Iris would make a FIERCE rival.......oooooh meow!

But in all honestly, I'm happy she is on the main cast. I find her interesting and very courageous, and I know that I may be of an unpopular opinion, but I truly do think she's one of the more interesting main characters that there is.

When you compare her to Dento, yes Dento may have much more of a larger fanbase so to speak, but IMO, that's only because people got tired of Brock for so long, of course his replacement would have been a success. Iris is unique because she speaks her mind, battles like a champion, and takes no prisoners.

Cats ALWAYS land on their feet ooooh meoww!

Dent has no relevancy to the topic of this thread what so ever. Stick to Ash and Iris potentially being rivals please.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom